Joseph

[POLL] HCS Pro Player Feedback - Gametypes & Settings

The reason why they voted that way is probably because changing it now will fuck up things.

Removing a game-type from rotation doesn't change the global gameplay elements. Rebalancing the sandbox and removing radar does.

Man, this happens IN EVERY GAME, sometimes during the season, patches come in that make the players adjust their playstyle. Besides that... rebalancing the sandbox is something that benefits EVERYONE in the long run, not to mention all these pros have been playing Halo WITHOUT  RADAR AND WITHOUT USING AUTOMATICS FOR  approx 14 years.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's a question I would like to revisit:

Are there any other esport games whose respective pros are as clueless as Halo's?

Honestly, not any that I know of. Even CoD pros have more integrity than Halo pros when it comes to these kinds of situations -- whether or not things change that's besides the point, they say it as it is and keep trying. Activi$ion recently made a rule that they couldn't even use 'Gentleman agreements', however the pros still use them in secrecy to not use stupid shit like C4, and game breaking perks. So pretty much what these polls tell me is that Halo pros would use all these stupid things in order to possibly get an edge even if it's un-fun to watch and cheesy as hell. The whole "we've been playing this meta, we can't change now" is just a BS cop-out, CoD pros can do it so why can't Halo pros?

Not to the issue of Breakout being in HCS, but it matters very much to the relationship the competitive community has with 343, regarding whether it's collaborative or entirely through their PR team. Someone reads into a post that a poll occurred when it didn't, and everyone starts formulating their own conspiracy theory...over 343 lying so they can keep Breakout in HCS. Give me a break.

I'm not criticizing the pros for this interaction specifically, it's great that we have a very clear poll result that we can reference to get Breakout out of HCS. It's just aggravating that it took all this ruckus for them to finally advocate for the removal of Breakout in any unified way.

And I think reevaluating the entirety of interaction between this community and 343 because Josh thought the pros didn't mind Breakout is a crazy leap of logic, but people are welcome to do what they want obviously. I'm in agreement with you on the implications to the discussion/narrative etc, but I don't think this community has had an abundance of hesitation to call out and question devs on their statements here (and that's not a criticism).

That's the real problem though. What else doesn't Josh know? I mean, this is the best we have - occasional spurts of conversation with a developer attempting (valiantly) to answer our questions but not exactly propagating truths. I think any indignation can also be perceived as sudden shock that our only interface with the inner-workings of a game we're trying to fix just didn't have factual information.

But then again, everybody's better off if the stigma and passive-aggressive joking (and unsourced PR bullshit) gets dropped from this conversation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haven't been around Halo in forever but I didn't know comp was played with radars now. Interesting

Hey guys,

Out of my own curiosity, I took a brief poll of 3 questions from only pro players on the current HWC/HCS settings.

40 people (pros) voted in the poll, and I wanted to share the results with you all, as they are indeed interesting. 

Votes were anonymous.

Halo-Championship-Series-Logo-Header.jpg

Question 1: Should Breakout be included in the Halo World Championship gametypes? 

Yes: 4 votes (10%)

No: 36 votes (90%)

Question 2: Should radar be disabled in the Halo World Championship settings?

Yes: 16 votes (40%)

No: 24 votes (60%)

Question 3: Should the automatic rifles be re-balanced in the Halo 5 sandbox? (AR, Storm Rifles,etc)

Yes: 15 votes (37.5%)

No: 25 votes (62.5%)

:intensifies: Discuss :intensifies:

This should have been done 2 months ago. Glad it has been done now though as even though I disagree with the majority on points 2 and 3, I think it's fair to let them have their say. However I believe what absolutely has to happen now, is after HWC is over we redo this exact same vote with the exact same pros and we see what they say then. As this is cutting it way too close IMO

Not wanting to adjust to something new after they've spent the last 3 months perfecting the current meta.

Removing breakout only simplifies things for them. Changing weapon balance and removing radar requires adaptation.

That's fair considering the tournament isn't too far away but after it ends (assuming there are going to be h5 events for the next year? idk when h6 comes out) I see no excuse for keeping automatics and radar.

It would be interesting to do a repoll after the big tournament is over.

edit; this guy knows;

rebalancing the sandbox is something that benefits EVERYONE in the long run, not to mention all these pros have been playing Halo WITHOUT  RADAR AND WITHOUT USING AUTOMATICS FOR  approx 14 years.

Listen to what you're saying. 

You're effectively giving a select few people free reign to dictate competitive Halo for the rest of us because it specifically caters to their playstyle and their interests. 

You're condoning a fucking Halo oligarchy. 

I agree with what you are saying lemon, but if we are going to use that argument than this entire poll is invalid as well (Breakout).

What exactly makes you so sure of that?

I find it hard to believe anyone is a fan of crouch walking when most of these pros didn't play like that in earlier seasons. I think they would appreciate making the game faster.

There's no discrepancy on why they voted the way they did. 

There's certainly an argument as to whether or not it was a dick move and bad for future prospects.

Considering Breakout is out of champs now (not sure if it was during your post) I am more inclined to believe radar is inevitably going and SOME weapon balancing will occur. Hell, I remember Halo 2 having radar in some MLG settings way back when whoch were changed. We also kept Ricochet from HCS. I'm going to assume radar will go when this season is over and they have time to play a way better version of the game and grind

What I don't get is why pros don't want the game to be as competitive as possible. They are basically saying "I want teams to have a better chance at beating us". As a pro you should want the game to have the highest possible skill gap so you can really dominate. Just look at Breakout. AM teams actually beat some pros because it's more random. Idk I guess the randomness makes it so they also have a good chance of beating better teams. A team like CLG should be begging for settings changes because they all have amazing gunskill.

let's forget the autos for a min....as soon as radar is removed the entire landscape of the hcs is changing. I know for a fact there are playings/teams benefiting from these dumbed down gametypes (radar). I'm still baffled that we are watching competitive halo with radar...it's fucking hilarious.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Here are the names I recognized, from quickly going over chat. Keep in mind not everyone is listed - some pros I do not have added and they are using fake name skype accounts to prevent from being DDos'd or I just simply do not have them added / know them.

I listed 37 people, that were not using ALT Skype accounts.

The poll had 40 votes.

Total amount of pros in chat: 50.

921a3401d4e83507c66f04439172497e.png

I do not know who voted for what. I wanted an honest poll, so I kept the results anonymous. 

If 343 needs to verify the list, the community team can have Neighbor go to the Community teams Cubicule area, have Neighbor log in on @@Unyshek's computer, and they can lurk the skype group if they need any further verification, I know they have experience in this department  :simms:

Ace

Swift Kill

Stellur

APG

Suspector

Naded

Assault

Randa

Prototype

Wolfmayne

Goofy

Gabriel

Lifestyle

Munoz

Commonly

Hysteria

Arkanum

Roy

Lunchbox

FiS

Nemassist

Chig

Sargoth

Shooter

Cpt Anarchy

Aries

Royal 2

Flamesword

Mikwen

Neighbor ( :simms: )

Ninja

Snakebite

Towey 

Ryanoob

VeryNerdy

Lethal

Clutch

I REAAAAAALLLY need to know who voted for radar. Like...this shit is mind blowing and utterly ridiculous to say the least. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I REAAAAAALLLY need to know who voted for radar. Like...this shit is mind blowing and utterly ridiculous to say the least. 

We'll make sure they never play Halo again

if we have pros' choice awards can we have a category for best ar and storm rifle users? I need to know who I should watch to learn how to master these skillful weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Weapon balance aside, some maps could just use better power item placement. Camo on Gambol makes the map the most ridiculous thing it could be. $ on the line and the most common kills on that map are random grenades. Avoid camo, and whoever gets it wins the round almost guaranteed. Then there's two different maps have OS in the dead center of bottom mid where it's a grenade spam shit show.

This is a big thing for me. I am in no way a fan of the OS's being contested and sprinted at less than 2 seconds in to the game. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here, or maybe living in the past, but I liked the way Halo 3 did it. Pit for example. Both Snipes contested custom with a mandatory fight you had to win before picking it up or it was burned. Same with Green Hall. Halo 5 is just sprint and hope you get the luckier nades. I just think the beginning of the games play out way too fast and before you know it there are already 10 kills on the board. Slows down a bit after that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im hoping a pro or two will jump in and give their pro-radar argument. Somehow I doubt it would sway me, but Im open-minded.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I listed 37 people, that were not using ALT Skype accounts.

The poll had 40 votes.

Total amount of pros in chat: 50.

921a3401d4e83507c66f04439172497e.png

Wouldn't this actually mean there were 49 pros in the chat since the 50th person would be you?

Obviously the general point of the results still stands but if it's 49 rather than 50 the percentages would be a little different.

Either way - Breakout is gone, long live core Halo gametypes.

Wouldn't this actually mean there were 49 pros in the chat since the 50th person would be you?

Obviously the general point of the results still stands but if it's 49 rather than 50 the percentages would be a little different.

like oddball, assault and king of the hill?  :kappa:

The screenshot was taken after I left the group. So no.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I just watch Neil Degrasse Tyson's response to B.O.B's Twitter comments about the Earth being flat (http://m.pitchfork.com/news/63210-neil-degrasse-tyson-drops-the-mic-on-bob-on-the-nightly-show/), and Neil made a point that reminded me of the problem with Halo pros opinions.

Neil made a comment about how in a free country, you are allowed to believe whatever you want. It becomes a problem, however, when you have influencing power during a time when there is an unscientific epidemic in the country.

Halo pros can believe radar increases the skill gap if they want, or that h2 is a better competitive title than CE, or that "no bloom=no skill," or whatever other factually incorrect things they hold to be true.

The problem is that these pros have influencing power. Whether or not this is a large or small amount is irrelevant- the devs assume that these pros speak for the competitive/skill gap side of things. This is especially dangerous now when halo's competitive merit is at an all time low and people remember h3's BR fondly.

Regardless of what you believe, the weapon sandbox balance in H5 yields a small skill gap. Regardless of what you believe, radar reduces the skill gap. Regardless of what you believe, the spartan abilities in halo 5 reduce the skill gap.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1