VODE

Halo 4 and Sprint

It hasn't been picked up by pgl or gb yet, only been used in unity or gold pro tournaments, and we used regular fallout which is slightly different to fallout g, went down very well

Why would PGL use it if its not in V4?

As many have said before, sprint needs to go. With only ~400-1000 people playing throwdown, I think it's safe to say that sprint in throwdown isn't attracting any "casuals" and pushing many old time vets away. We have one playlist. Let's make it the most competitive playlist we can. No-sprint, different loadouts other than br, and less symmetrical arena maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As many have said before, sprint needs to go. With only ~400-1000 people playing throwdown, I think it's safe to say that sprint in throwdown isn't attracting any "casuals" and pushing many old time vets away. We have one playlist. Let's make it the most competitive playlist we can. No-sprint, different loadouts other than br, and less symmetrical arena maps.

Agreed, but it's quite generous to say we get 1000 people in Throwdown at the same time. I see 400-600 peak.

Why would PGL use it if its not in V4?

Because PGL is 2 v 2 settings and v4 is not?

PGL 2v2s use specifically selected V4 Maps/Gametypes.

Ya, and V4 is 4 v 4.

If the return of the Pit doesn't mean we should remove sprint, I dunno what will. We literally just got handed a disc map that can play TS and CTF very well. Maybe even Extraction

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the return of the Pit doesn't mean we should remove sprint, I dunno what will. We literally just got handed a disc map that can play TS and CTF very well. Maybe even Extraction

Green Hall, Rocket Hall and OS? For EXT points that is.

Ya, and V4 is 4 v 4.

But they use the 4v4 settings/maps for their 2v2 ladder.

But they use the 4v4 settings/maps for their 2v2 ladder.

And its obvious that that is not a good choice. A map like Fallout > Dispatch

Green Hall, Rocket Hall and OS? For EXT points that is.

I would guess something closer to the old KotH plots.

The inclusion of Pitfall and possibly Ricochet just really took our options for v5 and blew them up. I just hope Ghost doesn't use this as an excuse to make v5 include Pitfall and Ricochet, then say v6 will be a refinement of that, and then make us wait for v7 for no sprint.

I'd much rather see the decision for no sprint be made now, with v5, and make v5 like... a new v1.

I would guess something closer to the old KotH plots.

The inclusion of Pitfall and possibly Ricochet just really took our options for v5 and blew them up. I just hope Ghost doesn't use this as an excuse to make v5 include Pitfall and Ricochet, then say v6 will be a refinement of that, and then make us wait for v7 for no sprint.

I'd much rather see the decision for no sprint be made now, with v5, and make v5 like... a new v1.

Odds are V5 will come before August 20th... that's a long time from now.

Odds are V5 will come before August 20th... that's a long time from now.

I don't see any reason for v5 to come out before this bundle. Absolutely none. v4 is fine where it is.

I'd rather see Ghost pursue No Sprint and spend the time between now and August 20th perfecting a map rotation without sprint and just leave a spot for at least Pitfall CTF to replace Adrift CTF. If he can get his hands on the Pitfall variant before hand and launch v5 on August 20th without sprint, I'll tweet #HaloIsNOTDad every day until Halo 5 launches.

I don't see any reason for v5 to come out before this bundle. Absolutely none. v4 is fine where it is.

I'd rather see Ghost pursue No Sprint and spend the time between now and August 20th perfecting a map rotation without sprint and just leave a spot for at least Pitfall CTF to replace Adrift CTF. If he can get his hands on the Pitfall variant before hand and launch v5 on August 20th without sprint, I'll tweet #HaloIsNOTDad every day until Halo 5 launches.

Agreed that we don't need V5, people will still want something fresh before then. We'll have to sit and wait to see what Ghost decides... but I don't see NS happening.

However, Beyond received Castle and Majestic codes early so I wouldn't be surprised to see Ghost get a Champion/Bullseye code early for testing.

We'll have to sit and wait to see what Ghost decides... but I don't see NS happening.

If Ghost has the option to remove sprint and doesn't do it, despite all the testing in customs people are doing and despite the numerous polls, he's shooting himself in the foot and I'd be shocked if the competitive community didn't nail him to a cross for it.

That's the community's MO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

RIP Twitter timeline. :P

Agreed, though. I would much rather wait until August 20th for v5 if it means Sprint it taken out. Pit with Sprint is just.. ugh.

If Ghost has the option to remove sprint and doesn't do it, despite all the testing in customs people are doing and despite the numerous polls, he's shooting himself in the foot and I'd be shocked if the competitive community didn't nail him to a cross for it.

That's the community's MO.

It's not all on Ghost, don't forget that.

If they could remove sprint and fix KOTH for christ sake, we could play one of my favorite gametypes ever. PIT KOTH!!! wooot woot

Imagine if they but the upinion to throw the ball and fixed koth we would have alot of gametypes to choose from!

I agree with the people who have said that the announcement of Pitfall will greatly increase the likelihood of NS appearing in Throwdown and it should definitely be done sooner than later. My honest opinion is that if v5 comes out BEFORE 8/20 and therefore, before the release of Pitfall on the DLC, then sprint COULD stay in Throwdown for that one version (obviously its preferable to be NS), but it would still play fine.

However, if v5 is released after 8/20, when the community has access to the beloved Pit, NS absolutely MUST be implemented. I'll provide some educated insight to support my argument:

1) One of the most common reasons I here for sprint to remain in Throwdown is that the disc maps are simply to large to be played without them. However, I counter that the only one that might be a bit broken is Adrift. But NOW we have an exact replica of the Pit (save for minor changes to the sword room that can be ironed out in forge), that is on disc that we have seen works amazingly with no sprint (H3/v7 Reach) and is broken with sprint (pre-v7 Reach) On top of all that, we can trash all the big forge maps that few people like anyway at this point (Dispatch & Station 9) and replace them with a map like Orion that would play amazingly with no sprint AND can support slayer and KoTH.

2) A map like Pitfall has the potential to play Slayer, CTF, Extraction, and KoTH. Obviously not in the same version of map rotations, but it is an incredibly versatile classic competitive map that could provide two rock-solid game types to a rotation and immediately solve our problem of not having a solid 2 sniper CTF map, a second extraction game type to replace Station 9, etc. etc. The point is the Pit has the unique versatility to be instantly plugged into 2 game types in the same rotation and implementing sprint would break the map and therefore break the game types.

Pitfall and NS are the final pieces to the puzzle. We finally have that last map we need to get over the hump. If we implement it along with NS, H4 would finally reach its potential as a truly great competitive game.

Sprint is for the better guys... Any gameplay I have seen with h4 and no sprint is a big time snooze fest... It just looks awkward.. Increasing movement speeds and jump height with gravity... Do you guys listen to yourselves??? This wont make a better game... Just try to copy an old one... You want halo3?? Go put it in your Xbox and have at'er... This is moot topic and needs to die.. Sprnit is here to stay.

Also I remember seeing another community that thought "they knew what was best" for halo and...it died. Zbns failed halo reach and killed halo on the circuit. All it did guys was rekindle some nostalgia... But it was bad for the game.

• Downvote (-1) 5

Sprint is for the better guys... Any gameplay I have seen with h4 and no sprint is a big time snooze fest... It just looks awkward.. Increasing movement speeds and jump height with gravity... Do you guys listen to yourselves??? This wont make a better game... Just try to copy an old one... You want halo3?? Go put it in your Xbox and have at'er... This is moot topic and needs to die.. Sprnit is here to stay.

Also I remember seeing another community that thought "they knew what was best" for halo and...it died. Zbns failed halo reach and killed halo on the circuit. All it did guys was rekindle some nostalgia... But it was bad for the game.

I'm going to have to completely disagree. Personally, IMO, along with many other people's opinions, believe that v7 Reach is some of the best competitive Halo ever created.

I'm going to have to completely disagree. Personally, IMO, along with many other people's opinions, believe that v7 Reach is some of the best competitive Halo ever created.

In your opinion... Yes ok good for you... But like what I saw the mlg community do was think they knew what was best. Unfortunately they were all wrong.. And I was a part of that community since 04. The numbers didn't lie and what the community of like 2k people liked and liked loudly, was just not a fun game for anybody else outside of that community. The numbers spoke for themselves.. It's like you guys want halo to die. Your all screaming "lets make the same settings that drove us in to the ground!!!yeah!!!! Woooo!!!"

I really do love halo and know that a CHANGE is needed. H4 how it is now is almost perfect. But bad timing on 343i's part. Weapon balance is great now. But sprnit shouldn't be a topic of conversation. They won't make h5 no sprint..no way in hell. It's to "gauche", backwards, abnormal, Un-natural. The ttd population will be less then 100 all the time if they remove sprint.. Quote me.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The pit could play TS and CTF well in a game without sprint, AA's, and no descope snipers with 12 shots.

It's like you guys want halo to die. Your all screaming "lets make the same settings that drove us in to the ground!!!yeah!!!! Woooo!!!"

You mean the settings that existed in Halo 3, where the competitive scene set records for the franchise...?

Or the initial launch settings of Halo: Reach and Halo 4, where we first saw the population of matchmaking and event viewership decline?

Seems like the original trilogy was doing things pretty fucking right and it wasn't until we got slower movement speed, sprint and AAs that the population began to decline. So I totally see the logic in saying that by removing sprint, we'd be taking a step away from the settings that saw the most success in the Halo franchise, but only from a competitive standpoint, but a general one at that.

If we can alter things like the shield recharge rate, movement, sprint, gravity, etc. to make this game play more like Halo 2 and 3... I don't see any reason why not.

The pit could play TS and CTF well in a game without sprint, AA's, and no descope snipers with 12 shots.

Pit is one of the handful of maps pre-Sprint that wouldn't play like complete dick with it. But from what I could tell from the brief video they showed... the map has NOT been scaled up... like, at all. If you removed sprint and played 120% movement, it'd probably be a near replica of Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you think before you type? The ZBNS event was the best Reach event we had for the game, lol. Sprint makes the game worse. There are essays on the forum supporting my statement as to why Sprint has to go.

Did you see the Waypoint poll? Over 70% of Waypointers (who are mostly casuals) didn't want sprint or flinch in Halo.

We aren't wanting to copy Halo 3, Halo had no sprint in CE/2/3 and were hugely successful. Then look at Reach and H4, both had sprint and compare the numbers of those two games to CE/2 and 3. Both population ingame and tournament numbers were worse in Reach+H4.

ZBNS did not kill Reach. Reach killed Reach at launch when Bungie thought AA's, Sprint and Bloom were good ideas. ZBNS made the game playable in tournament settings.

As long as Sprint is in the game, the topic will NEVER die, I don't know how you can be so oblivious to the fact the majority of the community hate Sprint and want it gone. To the minority who actually like Sprint, I'm betting most of them are just used to the mechanic because they started during Reach/4.