VODE

Halo 4 and Sprint

It should be no sprint in Team Throwdown. All the fans that like classic halo have mostly left because of no sprint, so putting in no sprint now will scare off the reach and halo 4 kids who populate the other playlists. As for sprint bringing back the old players, i think 343 needs to make much more of these small changes.  No sprint will be a good test to see if people play Team Throwdown for it, and if it can save halo's falling numbers

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It was, but the tradeoff is that the H3 sniper was much harder to use than H2's, Reach's and especially 4's.

THIS is why i feel like the sniper should not be hitscan, its too easy to snipe with, Halo 3 was the hardest to snipe on. This prob wont happen but Sniper-No hitscan, every other weapon-hitscan, i think it would bring the skillgap back into halo. Totally off topic, #No sprint!!

I have previously discussed the benefits of Sprint, however from a community standpoint we should be pushing towards No Sprint. The competitive community is a fraction of what it once was; it is 'growing' by recapturing the old audience that left due to a dislike of the vanilla game. If we gain a few more casual fans by being the only means of playing 'Classic Halo' then that's a bonus but we shouldn't be concentrating on capturing the casual audience when it's more than a pipe dream in our current scenario.

What is important is keeping the community members we currently have and bringing back members that have strayed - No Sprint achieves this in a number of ways;

• 'Classic Halo' - people will try the game again if they hear it has been changed towards their needs e.g. pros returning after the TU
  • Progression - the idea that we're moving forward keeps current community members grounded
  • Momentum - progression requires propulsion, much of this comes from community efforts. No Sprint testing can happily run alongside current competition (v4) because the community will be content getting NS exactly where they need to be before the settings are implemented

Its funny how people say no one wants sprint yet forget that the reason it's in the game is because sprint was the most popular armor ability in reach by far so the devs said why dont we give everyone sprint so they can use a different armor ability.

I don't care for sprint but do we really fucken need ANOTHER no sprint thread. Can the mods just make a no sprint sticky already.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i really don't think we will see no sprint in halo 4. my guess for halo 5 is they make sprint an AA again. i just really want a no sprint gametype for slayer and for flag, so at the very least i can play it in customs.

As others have said, there's really no dilemma, at least within the competitive community. The only people in the competitive scene who want sprint to stay is the group that still holds to the idea (that I shared pre-launch) that the competitive scene shouldn't stray too far from the core game. If we've noticed, Throwdown has been setting the standard for the direction of Halo.

The Throwdown settings come out with v1, and shortly after the 'Slayer Pro' variant comes out in Doubles.

Simplex and other Forge maps enter Throwdown, they get rotated into regular playlists.

Throwdown uses initial respawning weapons, now they're on every map.

Just look at Haven for fuck's sake.

Removing Sprint from Throwdown could see a 'No Sprint' variation into regular matchmaking, like Slayer Pro.

The only work required to make no sprint happen for v5 is first to have Quinn and 343 to officially release no sprint variations for at least Slayer, CTF and Extraction. From there, turn to the Forge community because, as you said, some maps will just have to go (bye Adrift), and start testing new maps, possibly rescaling old ones (Simplex, Onyx). The advantage to no sprint is that we can get back to more original map design. Because of sprint, we've been stuck with "two base, two tower" and "donut" maps because those are all that work with sprint without being stupidly overscaled. As I said before, imagine a 2v2 on Chill Out with sprint... you can't do it. It'd play like shit.

v5 should be v4 without sprint, new map rotation.

v6 would hopefully be v5 with a modded variation of Oddball that disables (or significantly reduces) throwing and a fixed KotH.

v7+ would be that, but just new map rotation as things are forged.

But I'm a dreamer. If sprint is removed, I will play this game daily again.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Pic sorta related. Just saw this in the new GameInformer.

Regardless, sprint needs to go.

Edit: Sorry about the angle.  Haha.

Said it before, say it again. 

Players just want to feel mobile. You don't need sprint in your fucking game. You just need quick, responsive movement. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pic sorta related. Just saw this in the new GameInformer.

attachicon.gifphoto (1).JPG

Regardless, sprint needs to go.

Edit: Sorry about the angle.  Haha.

I just broke my neck

• Upvote (+1) 6

THIS is why i feel like the sniper should not be hitscan, its too easy to snipe with, Halo 3 was the hardest to snipe on. This prob wont happen but Sniper-No hitscan, every other weapon-hitscan, i think it would bring the skillgap back into halo. Totally off topic, #No sprint!!

I'm pretty sure if aim assist was removed from the Sniper you would still have a hard time hitting shots even if it was hitscan.

I just broke my neck

I break my neck everytime I watch a pro player stream or play MM and want to see who's on my team and the other team, lol.

#PokemonHaloCards

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure if aim assist was removed from the Sniper you would still have a hard time hitting shots even if it was hitscan.

This + Descoping would make the sniper skillful again.

i really don't think we will see no sprint in halo 4. my guess for halo 5 is they make sprint an AA again. i just really want a no sprint gametype for slayer and for flag, so at the very least i can play it in customs.

It was only the most popular armor ability because it gave you an advantage over others of getting away. If there were no armor abilities I bet reach would've had a higher population. I bet if sprint and AA's were never implemented in H4, we'd have a much higher population.

The competitive community only got one single playlist, why not make it as good as possible? Keeping sprint in wont attract new player to the playlist and i highly doubt that excisting players would leave because of it. I really want to hear the reason to why sprint isn't gone allready.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The buildings themselves can be singled out. I took one single building, and made it into an arena styled map. Trust me it plays well and can be used. I needs tuned and tested as well as a good spawn system. I'll make a thread for it by the end of the week hopefully. Look out for Complex in the forge section :)

PS we need an on disc map to replace Adrift, and a Complex building is so much better than abandon objectice or monolith. My map variant of Complex is about the size of Skyline if it were a circle.

That actually sounds really promising.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Said it before, say it again. 

Players just want to feel mobile. You don't need sprint in your fucking game. You just need quick, responsive movement. 

So much truth!

Even with Sprint that feeling isn't present because of how unresponsive and in some cases flat out strange the player's movement and jumping can be. Bouncing off of walls you hit mid-air, slowing to a stop before changing directions, sliding around when coming to a stop... All of that stuff makes players feel less in control regardless of whether they can sprint or not. Most can't articulate these feelings well, but ramp H4 up to 120-130% speed, make it crisp & responsive, and then I really doubt that anyone other than the most ardent advocates of "realism" in games would bemoan not being able to sprint.

They just need to make movement fun again rather than making it a chore to fight against the game's physics.

The buildings themselves can be singled out. I took one single building, and made it into an arena styled map. Trust me it plays well and can be used. I needs tuned and tested as well as a good spawn system. I'll make a thread for it by the end of the week hopefully. Look out for Complex in the forge section :)

PS we need an on disc map to replace Adrift, and a Complex building is so much better than abandon objectice or monolith. My map variant of Complex is about the size of Skyline if it were a circle.

Fallout G is a solid map forged out of Landfall. i think that has some potential. 

Fallout G is a solid map forged out of Landfall. i think that has some potential. 

Its already been played in 2s tournaments, and it was awesome.

Its already been played in 2s tournaments, and it was awesome.

i seriously didn't know it was in use at all. that's awesome. i fear it would be too small for 4v4. just so many kills would be shot in the back . i think if you expanded that map a little it could be 4v4. idk why landfall is in doubles in MM at all and they don't use fallout g.

i seriously didn't know it was in use at all. that's awesome. i fear it would be too small for 4v4. just so many kills would be shot in the back . i think if you expanded that map a little it could be 4v4. idk why landfall is in doubles in MM at all and they don't use fallout g.

It hasn't been picked up by pgl or gb yet, only been used in unity or gold pro tournaments, and we used regular fallout which is slightly different to fallout g, went down very well

• Upvote (+1) 1