VODE

Halo 4 and Sprint

To Ghost:

At this point I have only three questions:

1. Does taking out sprint require another title update from 343i?

2. Would we have enough fully functioning gametypes?

3. At this point I do not expect you to know exactly how you want to tweak the maps in regards to no sprint, but what is even more important to the non-competitive portion of the Halo community (70-80%) is: do you have an estimate on how much the base movement speed and gravity would be changed if 343i would be generous enough to provide us with no sprint.

PS: I am relatively new to the forums so please feel free to give me any constructive criticism.

1. No sprint does not require a TU - modders have done it by editing 1 (one!) hex code in the gametype.

2. Anything can be made no sprint.

3. 125% movement and 95% gravity OR 105% jump allows players to make pretty much all sprint jumps possible without sprint. I would assume that is what Ghost is looking to implement since that is what the modders are pushing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To Ghost:

At this point I have only three questions:

1. Does taking out sprint require another title update from 343i?

2. Would we have enough fully functioning gametypes?

3. At this point I do not expect you to know exactly how you want to tweak the maps in regards to no sprint, but what is even more important to the non-competitive portion of the Halo community (70-80%) is: do you have an estimate on how much the base movement speed and gravity would be changed if 343i would be generous enough to provide us with no sprint.

PS: I am relatively new to the forums so please feel free to give me any constructive criticism.

1. No

2. Yes. 

3. Yes.

Those aren't the issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. No

2. Yes. 

3. Yes.

Those aren't the issues.

Can't wait to hear what the concerns are. Nevertheless I know Ghost is looking out for what is best for the competitive community

Can't wait to hear what the concerns are. Nevertheless I know Ghost is looking out for what is best for the competitive community

Its not really concerns. He might not even give you a reason. But do know that you are right, he does care about the communities desires.

If there is a NS playlist, then it will further the disconnect between the casual and competitive players. I'm still waiting for Legendary Slayer, which I hope will bring both sides together. 343 said at GDC that it would be a mix of TTD and IS. There needs to be a transitionary playlist. And I agree with some of the people above me; if NS actually happens, everyone needs to be shouting it everywhere. That means YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, forums... Anyplace you cn get people's attention. It would also be nice if 343 would release an update video, but they rarely take advantage of the +180,000 people subscribed to HaloWaypoint. A change as big as this needs preparation.

Of course we are gonna lose some players but the question is if we gain more from this (past players returning etc.). I personally think so.

You're right we need to reach out to people on various platform and spread the news if it eventually happens...

Of course we are gonna lose some players but the question is if we gain more from this (past players returning etc.). I personally think so.

You're right we need to reach out to people on various platform and spread the news if it eventually happens...

Thing is, people don't play Throwdown for sprint, they play it for the competitive merit. Removing sprint would hardly damage the TTD population because sprint is a random game mechanic and the removal would lead to more competitiveness. Win-win situation IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thing is, people don't play Throwdown for sprint, they play it for the competitive merit. Removing sprint would hardly damage the TTD population because sprint is a random game mechanic and the removal would lead to more competitiveness. Win-win situation IMO.

Agreed. Not many people are going to consider playing Throwdown anyway if they are a casual player. Thats sort of an urban legend.

1. No

2. Yes. 

3. Yes.

Those aren't the issues.

Thank you for the quick feedback! 

1. No sprint does not require a TU - modders have done it by editing 1 (one!) hex code in the gametype.

2. Anything can be made no sprint.

3. 125% movement and 95% gravity OR 105% jump allows players to make pretty much all sprint jumps possible without sprint. I would assume that is what Ghost is looking to implement since that is what the modders are pushing.

Thanks for the quick response but i seriously doubt all the jumps will be possible without sprint for example the jump to top mid on simplex would have to be scaled down tremendously i would think. 

Thanks for the quick response but i seriously doubt all the jumps will be possible without sprint for example the jump to top mid on simplex would have to be scaled down tremendously i would think. 

That is the one jump that cannot be made. The map would be shrunk or removed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't want anyone to be under the impression that i prefer sprint to the classic feel of movement around maps the older Halo titles gave us! It's more along the lines of that I realize that this game was built around sprint and since we are already troubled by barely having enough competitive gametypes that are possible to be played on split screen, having no sprint would possibly make one map for example adrift (which i know the majority already wanted out) would most likely become unplayable. Then you have to consider how this would affect our relationship with 343i and even more importantly how it would affect the casual gamer making the leap (a very big one at that) from Infinity Slayer to Team Throwdown. Having said all this i still believe that it is the right way to go in regards to our relationship with 343i because it will at the very least in my opinion guarantee no sprint in the next major title. Now although the casual gamer's take on this is very debatable i still believe having more fluid games would attract them very much because even if at first they would be beaten to the ground, like we all were when we first clicked "start matchmaking" on whatever was the competitive playlist at the time whether it was MLG or Team Hardcore, they would still find it very fun to play and would continue to experiment and venture on in this mysterious territory and almost forgotten territory of Halo known only as "the competitive scene." 

All in all i say no sprint.

PS: The forum is surprisingly respectable, especially when considering that it's main topic is the competitive halo scene.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A possible solution to replace that might be Onyx CTF? While some form of objective on Orion could replace adrift? I hear that some on-disk maps could become playable without sprint such as Landfall.

A possible solution to replace that might be Onyx CTF? While some form of objective on Orion could replace adrift? I hear that some on-disk maps could become playable without sprint such as Landfall.

We need Adrift for split screen play. However Onyx CTF can basically be confirmed to replace Simplex CTF.

We need Adrift for split screen play. However Onyx CTF can basically be confirmed to replace Simplex CTF.

That's sad considering that in my opinion Simplex CTF is a much more intense game type than its' Slayer counterpart...

So it's Simplex Slayer and Onyx CTF? Or Onyx Slayer too?

lol looks like I made you change your mind because you were all for sprint in that other v5 thread.

For H4 I think no sprint would have been better out of the box, but i'm against changing it at this point. I'd rather just see H5 be no sprint is what I was saying in the other thread, at least you read it  :goldenboy:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Do you think that there will ever be a fix for split screen forge map problems in Halo 4, or will we have to wait until Halo 5?

What would be wrong with securing yellow or purple and then pushing for OS? Would be better than the current neanderthal rush for top mid which is pretty dumb imo

• Upvote (+1) 1

What would be wrong with securing yellow or purple and then pushing for OS? Would be better than the current neanderthal rush for top mid which is pretty dumb imo

Would also make the spring jump from bottom to top mid an alternative. ;)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like that you can't make that jump without sprint. As it is, people just rush top mid off the start and host tends to get OS anyway. I would much prefer to see teams rush OS from top Purple and top Yellow and gain some sort of map control to then get OS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

the split screen does not matter since agl uses full.

As Ghost said on the Halo Hour show yesterday, if AGL sells any more than 64 team passes, split screen has to be used and obviously we, as a community, are looking to gain more and more teams each event. At the moment, we're already at the 60-64 mark so I wouldn't be surprised if we had to play split screen at AGL 8/9.

Sprint discussion on #HaloHour

As a direct response I think poor communication is causing a lot of the tensions / issues around this subject. The majority of the competitive community has made it clear numerous times at all levels (casual spectators through to top players) that they want Sprint removed for competitive play as soon as it can be done. It is undeniable that Ghost is our singular line of direct communication to the developer; he alone asks for and receives change on our behalf. With this in mind is our current position actively being pushed for?

"Eventually get a No Sprint test gametype" "It is something that can be looked into" "potentially get that and test it out",

The above quotes imply that a NS test gametype hasn't been asked for yet or that there are potential issues - is this truth or just poor communication? Either way it requires clarification as people aren't going to get anywhere near as frustrated if they know where they stand. Take the example of de-scoping where although the community didn't get a result it wanted, a fixed conclusion eased the frustration for many.

Ghost needs to explain where we currently stand so that people aren't pushing their energies aimlessly.

• Upvote (+1) 2