VODE

Halo 4 and Sprint

Any news on Fallout or Landfall? To my knowledge it didn't make it because of the frame-rate, yet it was "replaced" with a forge map (Onyx) which also has these problems... Am I missing something?

Onyx is more of a fan-favorite and (IMO), it plays better than Landfall.

Onyx is more of a fan-favorite and (IMO), it plays better than Landfall.

Played the Unity version of Landfall yet?

Two different styles of maps, both good, get them both in

Played the Unity version of Landfall yet?

Two different styles of maps, both good, get them both in

I have. I personally didn't like it but I'm sure Ghost will consider it.

I have. I personally didn't like it but I'm sure Ghost will consider it.

Thoughts? (and not because it was unity)

Im going to play around with the map later and see if I can cut off some off the dead space.

Thoughts? (and not because it was unity)

Im going to play around with the map later and see if I can cut off some off the dead space.

I don't like the default map to start with. Too much camping indoors and too open outdoors. Nothing we can really do to fix that. I just don't like the design.

I don't like the default map to start with. Too much camping indoors and too open outdoors. Nothing we can really do to fix that. I just don't like the design.

The outdoors I feel has too much cover if anything.

Easy thing to do to fix that, is 1 - have ext/hill points outside 2 - place weapons around the map on the outside (Rocks and OS already are)

Camping indoors is the worst thing to do on the map, controlling the green/purple towers is easily the best setup to have for slayer/hill, Ive never seen that in competitive gameplay on the map yet. I'l see if anything potential camp-able spots can be blocked off.

How when the man in charge has put his foot down and said it's not gonna happen for any version?

Wait, did he say we will never get sprint? I thought he said it needed time for testing or some such?

Wait, did he say we will never get sprint? I thought he said it needed time for testing or some such?

The testing comment was a cop out answer. When whatshisface pressured ghost for a definite answer later, ghost pretty much said NS is out of the question... Had to listen to like 10 minutes of him trying to dodge the question before we got a real answer.

Honestly, I think it's time we had some one else take over. Ghost simply isn't the answer. He was put into this position by MLG, but MLG is long gone. Now he just runs TTD and the circuit leagues felt coerced (AGL was coerced) to follow his settings... I think a group of community leaders should pick up the mantle and carry TTD forward.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I don't follow competitive Halo anymore, but browsing this a bit and looking at the maps you all are suggesting, what about the map Opus that's currently in MM?

I personally enjoy the hell out of it.

I don't follow competitive Halo anymore, but browsing this a bit and looking at the maps you all are suggesting, what about the map Opus that's currently in MM?

I personally enjoy the hell out of it.

Could use some tweaking. It has potential.

So Ghost pretty much said NS is out of the question in the stream today. Thoughts?

Today is a sad day. :(

You guys are all jumping on the same bandwagon that I was on until today.  No sprint will probably play better, sure, but we should really listen to what Ghost was saying.  With the increased dev support with the H4GC and Frank O'Conner's tease about a future 343 hosted 4v4 tournament, we simply cannot abandon all of the core mechanics of the game.  Imagine 343 hosting a tournament without sprint.  I don't see it being likely.  We need to let them know that sprint MUST NOT be in Halo 5, but we really need to consider our standing with the game at this point in time.  It's a really tough situation, but I think it may be better for the continuing growth of the game to keep sprint in for the time being.  If we give 343 the middle finger (probably done before) and strip their game, and they decide to drop tournament support, then we are set back by a massive amount.  That is worst case scenario, I'm just trying to communicate what Ghost said in the stream and what I believe now.  Not to mention, Ghost knows a lot more inside information than anyone in the community - I trust him.

tl;dr - NS better for gameplay, S better for growth, chill out.

Sprint deserves to be gone.. for good :/, It just isn't Halo with it, and it doesn't fit Halo's style at all.. and keeping Sprint does not help growth either.. look at Halo 4's population from Launch to now.. that is not "Growth".

You truly do not even need the Movement Speed increased to 125%, but it would allow jumps to be made still without the use of Sprint, and I like the idea of Gravity being tuned down to 95% as well. I am more old school though, I always felt that 110% Movement Speed, 110% Jump Height, was fitting for Halo, but that's just me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint deserves to be gone.. for good :/, It just isn't Halo with it, and it doesn't fit Halo's style at all.. and keeping Sprint does not help growth either.. look at Halo 4's population from Launch to now.. that is not "Growth".

You truly do not even need the Movement Speed increased to 125%, but it would allow jumps to be made still without the use of Sprint, and I like the idea of Gravity being tuned down to 95% as well. I am more old school though, I always felt that 110% Movement Speed, 110% Jump Height, was fitting for Halo, but that's just me.

I'm talking about the growth of the competitive community.  Removing sprint in our playlists wouldn't effect any casual players at all, so online population is pretty irrelevant.

343i were the ones to take out sprint towards the end of Halo Reach. Then they implemented it again in H4. Lets just say for the entirety of Halo 4, we have sprint in TTD. Why do people expect the trend to change? If anything, they would be less likely to remove sprint b/c it has been in the majority of two straight games. They will argue (although I don't buy the argument) that they found a way to make sprint viable by slowing down players when shot and limiting the time you can sprint.

I think the best case scenario for Halo 5 is that the competitive playlist launches with no sprint but every other playlist will have it. Worst case scenario, sprint is here to stay outside of modded customs. Either way, I hope I am wrong.

I'm just concerned about sprint in Halo V.

The more I think about it the more I think it will probably be in the game. That awful mechanic is here to stay. ;(

I'm talking about the growth of the competitive community.  Removing sprint in our playlists wouldn't effect any casual players at all, so online population is pretty irrelevant.

Growth of the competitive community? How is a mechanic that is proven to deminish the competitive aspect in a sandbox shooter like Halo even able to be considered good for growth? If removing sprint increased the average population in TTD a day by 10, it'd be a relative success. With 300-600 player population, any small gain in player count is a plaudible feat. It's a low risk venture really. It's highly unlikely that axing spring from TTD would chase off players, and it's very probably that it may attract some new players.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343i were the ones to take out sprint towards the end of Halo Reach. Then they implemented it again in H4.

wut

When ghost decided to use BR starts many people weren't happy, look where we are now. I believe in ghost. I think everyone should too, we wouldn't be where we are without him. Lets trust him I'm sure we won't regret it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's a backwards mentality that simply isn't true.

Our competitive community isn't 'growing' by reaching a new audience, it is simply winning back the favor of its old audience. Think about the mindset of the current community, almost everyone hates Sprint but is putting up with it because it's part of this game. Now think how many people refuse to put up with the changes and have just straight up left. Removing Sprint has more of a chance of bolstering the population of the competitive playlist because;

1. Previous competitive players will come back because it represents the experience they want (see pros returning)
  2. It would be the singular outlet for a 'truly Classic' enticing casual players who fondly remember previous titles.

This has a direct impact on stream numbers for events; interest from previous competitive players, older pros returning again attracts interest and so on.

There is another side of the story in direct developer support (we've seen the start of this in the back and forth of competitive maps) but it needs to be discussed at length nobody can be content with just "I have the communities best interest at heart".

When ghost decided to use BR starts many people weren't happy, look where we are now. I believe in ghost. I think everyone should too, we wouldn't be where we are without him. Lets trust him I'm sure we won't regret it.

At the time of discussion that was a 50/50 debate. Look at the above poll, look at any poll on any competitive site, look at the Waypoint poll - it's pretty clear cut what the community wants.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's a backwards mentality that simply isn't true.

Our competitive community isn't 'growing' by reaching a new audience, it is simply winning back the favor of its old audience. Think about the mindset of the current community, almost everyone hates Sprint but is putting up with it because it's part of this game. Now think how many people refuse to put up with the changes and have just straight up left. Removing Sprint has more of a chance of bolstering the population of the competitive playlist because;

1. Previous competitive players will come back because it represents the experience they want (see pros returning)
  2. It would be the singular outlet for a 'truly Classic' enticing casual players who fondly remember previous titles.

This has a direct impact on stream numbers for events; interest from previous competitive players, older pros returning again attracts interest and so on.

There is another side of the story in direct developer support (we've seen the start of this in the back and forth of competitive maps) but it needs to be discussed at length nobody can be content with just "I have the communities best interest at heart".

At the time of discussion that was a 50/50 debate. Look at the above poll, look at any poll on any competitive site, look at the Waypoint poll - it's pretty clear cut what the community wants.

At the same time according to ghost, taking out sprint might ruin our chances for a huge 343i 4v4 tournament because they aren't going to host a ns tournament. NS would be amazing but we've got to trust ghost.

• Upvote (+1) 1