stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

No offence but, why would anyone want to go through all this trouble when theres the MCC version? Your post is super informative and you obviously put in a lot of time for this post, so I hope my post doesn't come off as rude or anything. I'm not trying to be a dick here lol.

BEFORE YOU FLAME ME - MCC version is not anywhere near as good as OG Xbox, but all this work for a PC port anyways? Maybe there's a big piece of info I'm missing, but from what I've experienced over the years, installing all these mods for PC still doesn't make it even as good/reliable as MCC, as hard a that is to admit. Not to mention getting everything to work properly takes hours and hours. Tons of compatibility issues (esp with Win8/10), patches for these mods take months or even years if they break something, etc.

Besides being able to use M/KB, what is the point in all this? What advantage does playing on PC give over MCC? The biggest issue left with MCC is the iffy registrtion when its a bad connection. However, its still WAY better than the PC version, no lead mod or not.

Im sure I'll get negged by nostalgia lords who hate MCC blindly. I'm not trying to sound ignorant - I'm just genuinely confused/curious.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 16

No offence but, why would anyone want to go through all this trouble when theres the MCC version? Your post is super informative and you obviously put in a lot of time for this post. I'm not trying to be a dick here lol.

Personally I find it incredible how many people actually bought Xbox One's to play CE 2v2's (myself included). But there is a whole PC playerbase (there are about 1000+ players online at any given time) that has been playing a broken game for well over a decade (myself included) and I wanted to fix it. You may not have any friends to play Halo PC with, but I have a bunch that aren't going to buy an Xbox One for MCC.

BEFORE YOU FLAME ME - MCC version is not anywhere near as good as OG, but all this work for a PC port anyways? Maybe theres a big piece of info I'm missing, but from what I've experienced over the years

If you haven't experienced the game on my server with all the fixes, your experience over the years is beside the point. Did you read the OP? Of course Halo PC has been shit over the years. That's why I fixed almost all of it.

...installing all these mods for PC still doesn't make it even as good/reliable as MCC, as hard a that is to admit.

I can only speak for myself, but this is the first time I've seen the words "good" and "reliable" in the same sentence as MCC. How many unresolved bugs are there on halobugs.com? At least I can do something about them on the PC version.

Besides being able to use M/KB, what is the point in all this?

I don't consider M/KB to be a selling point for the PC version. The game was clearly designed and paced to be played with a controller, which is why I looked into the issues with controllers in Halo PC.

What advantage does playing on PC give over MCC? The biggest issue left with MCC is the iffy registrtion when its a bad connection. However, its still WAY better than the PC version, no lead mod or not.

• Custom maps, including Halo 1.5 map ports that aren't playable unless you have an OG box and know locals to LAN with. Oh and Xbox versions of the maps with proper geometry are coming soon too
  • Doesn't require a $500 console and Xbox Live subscription to play, nor does it require a particularly powerful PC
  • Map-specific bugs that will never get fixed in MCC will be fixed on PC
  • Community-hosted servers mean the game will never be shutdown
  • You can get into a game in seconds - from launching the game to joining a server takes about 15 seconds with HAC2
  • Text chat allows you to communicate with the other team during a match
  • HAC2 (client mod) and SAPP (server mod) are constantly seeing improvements and new updates, meaning it can only get better over time
  • Join in progress for quick matches
  • More variety of available gametypes. So 343i decides to remove 4v4 in MCC? Well at least I can still get some in Halo PC without being at the mercy of who's online on my friends list
Should I go on? Don't worry I'm not trying to steal the population from MCC. I also get the impression that you didn't read the OP if you can't spot out at least a few advantages of the PC version.

Im sure I'll get negged by nostalgia lords who hate MCC blindly. I'm not trying to sound ignorant - I'm just genuinely confused/curious.

If you're genuinely curious/confused, download the game for free and follow the information I'm spoonfeeding in my post. The whole process would probably take you all of 15 minutes.

Like I said in the OP, this project really isn't about which inferior version of the game is better than the other. In my eyes, MCC and PC are both inferior to the Xbox version, and each has their pros/cons. It doesn't hurt to have more options. It also doesn't hurt to make the game available to people who aren't foolish enough (again, myself included) to dish out half a grand plus a subscription to XBL to play a 15 year old game.

If you still can't understand it, then I can't help you. Go play MCC if you'd like, but I'd be thrilled if you'd try it out because it's better than it's ever been. The Halo PC that I'm hosting in my server isn't even the same Halo PC as last year. Forget everything you know about it and try it. Unless you aren't willing to spend 15 minutes to set it up. That's on you

• Upvote (+1) 6

Very informative and useful for PC players, but I want to correct the controller issue.

I can't say for certain for the left stick, but the right stick deadzone is definitely 10%.  The left stick is likely the same.

That video should illustrate it reasonably well( beware the loud audio ), but the deadzone is certainly smaller than most games(that default to 25%), but the deadzone is also square, which limits diagonal movement around the axes, actually making it easier to move and aim in cardinal directions.
Xpadder and other mouse emulators are recommended because you can get better aiming with them since they use circular deadzones and more consistent acceleration.

The MCC collection, as well as the original version is noticeably worse, since it uses a 25% deadzone, and the unregistered diagonal regions scale with the deadzone size.
http://i.imgur.com/LswsRRt.png  PC version
http://i.imgur.com/BlSOIXj.png   Applicable to console Halos CE-ODST

I'm not sure if anything's changed with the custom edition, but as far as I'm aware, bullet magnetism is active with a mouse as well(I user an emulator for the aiming and it's definitely there), and reticle adhesion and tracking aren't active without console commands.  The game is actually unplayable with bullet magnetism(shown with Anniversary's eye patch skull), since the spread makes most weapons worthless outside of close range.

Sorry to nitpick like this.  Good luck on the other fixes.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I had fun getting my ass kicked on stunt_man's server. Its been forever since I've played real competitive CE, and it definitely shows. Outside of the occasional "some guy is eating bullets like they're a fucking bullet black hole" moments (which happens on any version of the game outside of LAN), 98% of the time it was great, and it feels like the game it should have been in 2003.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Personally I find it incredible how many people actually bought Xbox One's to play CE 2v2's (myself included). But there is a whole PC playerbase (there are about 1000+ players online at any given time) that has been playing a broken game for well over a decade (myself included) and I wanted to fix it. You may not have any friends to play Halo PC with, but I have a bunch that aren't going to buy an Xbox One for MCC.

If you haven't experienced the game on my server with all the fixes, your experience over the years is beside the point. Did you read the OP? Of course Halo PC has been shit over the years. That's why I fixed almost all of it.

I can only speak for myself, but this is the first time I've seen the words "good" and "reliable" in the same sentence as MCC. How many unresolved bugs are there on halobugs.com? At least I can do something about them on the PC version.

I don't consider M/KB to be a selling point for the PC version. The game was clearly designed and paced to be played with a controller, which is why I looked into the issues with controllers in Halo PC.

• Custom maps, including Halo 1.5 map ports that aren't playable unless you have an OG box and know locals to LAN with. Oh and Xbox versions of the maps with proper geometry are coming soon too
  • Doesn't require a $500 console and Xbox Live subscription to play, nor does it require a particularly powerful PC
  • Map-specific bugs that will never get fixed in MCC will be fixed on PC
  • Community-hosted servers mean the game will never be shutdown
  • You can get into a game in seconds - from launching the game to joining a server takes about 15 seconds with HAC2
  • Text chat allows you to communicate with the other team during a match
  • HAC2 (client mod) and SAPP (server mod) are constantly seeing improvements and new updates, meaning it can only get better over time
  • Join in progress for quick matches
  • More variety of available gametypes. So 343i decides to remove 4v4 in MCC? Well at least I can still get some in Halo PC without being at the mercy of who's online on my friends list
Should I go on? Don't worry I'm not trying to steal the population from MCC. I also get the impression that you didn't read the OP if you can't spot out at least a few advantages of the PC version.

If you're genuinely curious/confused, download the game for free and follow the information I'm spoonfeeding in my post. The whole process would probably take you all of 15 minutes.

Like I said in the OP, this project really isn't about which inferior version of the game is better than the other. In my eyes, MCC and PC are both inferior to the Xbox version, and each has their pros/cons. It doesn't hurt to have more options. It also doesn't hurt to make the game available to people who aren't foolish enough (again, myself included) to dish out half a grand plus a subscription to XBL to play a 15 year old game.

If you still can't understand it, then I can't help you. Go play MCC if you'd like, but I'd be thrilled if you'd try it out because it's better than it's ever been. The Halo PC that I'm hosting in my server isn't even the same Halo PC as last year. Forget everything you know about it and try it. Unless you aren't willing to spend 15 minutes to set it up. That's on you

Then I'll take your word on it. My past experiences with Halo PC were tons of bugs, bad detection, and not being able to find quality servers (mostly because there were less than 100 people on at any time, half of which were foreign people). For the record I did try many different mods/tweaks but none really fixed my main issues with the PC port the way I wanted. But if these mods are as good as you say, and there are 1000s of people really playing now, then I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the info.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not sure if anything's changed with the custom edition, but as far as I'm aware, bullet magnetism is active with a mouse as well(I user an emulator for the aiming and it's definitely there), and reticle adhesion and tracking aren't active without console commands.  The game is actually unplayable with bullet magnetism(shown with Anniversary's eye patch skull), since the spread makes most weapons worthless outside of close range.

Sorry to nitpick like this.  Good luck on the other fixes.

That may be true for the vanilla PC version - but with HAC2 player_magnetism 1 is enabled by default. Note that this is not "bullet magnetism," which is indeed enabled by default even with a mouse. "player_magnetism" is what makes the reticle stick to players (essentially auto-aim). No tweaks are required to make the aiming work as long as you have HAC2.

Don't take my word for it, though. Try it. Thanks for the video though, you must be right about the 10% deadzone. Either way, the right stick feels fine - the main concern was the left stick, which requires XPadder to fix.

Then I'll take your word on it. My past experiences with Halo PC were tons of bugs, bad detection, and not being able to find quality servers (mostly because there were less than 100 people on at any time, half of which were foreign people). For the record I did try many different mods/tweaks but none really fixed my main issues with the PC port the way I wanted. But if these mods are as good as you say, and there are 1000s of people really playing now, then I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the info.

Tons of bugs: gameplay-related bugs are all fixed

Bad detection: Much improved, but admittedly not quite as good as MCC

No quality servers/foreign people: Don't expect to find people hosting this mod apart from myself. My server is currently the only one with all the fixes.

Also, I didn't say there were 1000's, there are about 1 thousand online at any given time. And yes, many are foreign. However, even some of the foreigners know how to shoot and can put up a fight, and the game handles high pings pretty well.

I want to clear something up: the only mods required are the ones listed at the top of the OP. That huge list contains mostly server-side fixes, which don't require any action from the player - you just need to be in a server that is using the fixes.

Jawshe - or anyone, for that matter - if you join the Discord channel we can voice chat and we can debate specifics. Keep in mind that it's a work-in-progress, but it's fairly far-along and is in a state that is at least comparable to MCC.

I had fun getting my ass kicked on stunt_man's server. Its been forever since I've played real competitive CE, and it definitely shows. Outside of the occasional "some guy is eating bullets like they're a fucking bullet black hole" moments (which happens on any version of the game outside of LAN), 98% of the time it was great, and it feels like the game it should have been in 2003.

Yeah, good games man. Especially considering we didn't organize this ahead of time. Next time you want to play just post in the Discord chat. At least a couple of people are down on any night of the week.

• Upvote (+1) 1

serverbrowser and rented servers alone are the reasons why HPC > MCC CE

havent played custom edition for years now but still have the installer on the pc, how does the no-lead mod work on oversea servers?

does it make a huge difference?

also why would you want to use a controller when the game has no aim assist programmed for sticks?

at least last time i checked there was none, makes no sense to compete against mouse players if theres no aim assist right?

• Upvote (+1) 2

havent played custom edition for years now but still have the installer on the pc, how does the no-lead mod work on oversea servers?

also why would you want to use a controller when the game has no aim assist programmed for sticks?

at least last time i checked there was none, makes no sense to compete against mouse players if theres no aim assist right?

There is aim-assist. I'm going to add it to the OP, I thought it was enabled by default but it requires a console command: player_magnetism 1

But you don't have to type it out everytime - just create a text file called init.txt in the root Halo CE directory and type the command in there, save and run Halo. Let me know if you have any trouble.

As for the no-lead mod (well, in my server, "33 ms lead," it seems to work fine as long as your ping is under 200 ms.

Just for the record, with aim-assist and the movement fix described in the OP, I can compete against mouse players easily.

interesting, didnt know that command exists back in the days but played with a mouse anyhow

could a mouseplayer insert that command too?

i hope not (though i assume with a m/k adapter you can trick the pc to think a pad is connected)

interesting, didnt know that command exists back in the days but played with a mouse anyhow

i hope not (though i assume with a m/k adapter you can trick the pc to think a pad is connected)

There's probably a way but I strongly doubt it would give an advantage to mouse players. If anything it would interfere with aiming.

As it is, it only works with a joystick (I have it always enabled and sometimes I'll switch to kb/m and there's no aim-assist, but when switching back to joystick it works). This is part of the reason why look controls NEED to be mapped to the controller in the Halo settings. If you use Xpadder to map the right stick them to keys for look control, the aim-assist won't work.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You wouldnt happen to be a moderator on the xim forums would you? 

afaik that command only exists in halo custom edition

the default halo pc that literally no one plays anymore has some magnetism on the mouse

i need to figure out where i put my halo pc cd and then maybe i'll join you guys tonight, i've been pretty burnt out on all the games i was playing last year so this seems like a nice change of pace

• Upvote (+1) 1

afaik that command only exists in halo custom edition

This is probably true. It may be a devmode command that is enabled automatically with the use of HAC2 (this is one of the reasons why I listed it as "essential" in the OP)

the default halo pc that literally no one plays anymore has some magnetism on the mouse

Both versions have bullet magnetism on the mouse, but there is absolutely zero aim-assist when using the mouse. More precisely, the reticle never tracks a player that moves in front of it (aim-assist) when using a mouse, even with the player_magnetism command enabled.

i need to figure out where i put my halo pc cd and then maybe i'll join you guys tonight, i've been pretty burnt out on all the games i was playing last year so this seems like a nice change of pace

I'll be busy working on the final versions of the Xbox maps tonight (need to recompile Damnation's BSP to fix the invisible walls), but you'll be able to get into a match with good players if you join the Discord channel (it's been picking up lately).

UPDATE 11/01/2016: I'll be hosting "release candidate" builds of the Xbox versions of the stock maps hopefully by the end of this week. New features:

• Will include all the stock maps in the server's mapcycle: Prisoner, Damnation, Rat Race, Longest, Chill Out, Hang 'Em High, Battle Creek, Derelict & Wizard
  • Hit sound will be automatically disabled and players will be unable to reactivate it. The sound tag itself is being removed from the map file. No more nade-probing, boys.
  • Will include the final version of the remastered HUD. Improvements on the current version include: re-sized pistol reticle (now slightly larger to match OG) & Xbox Health Bar (as seen at the bottom of the OP)
  • Will include the newly-developed camo fix (see below). Changes will need to be made to the new teleporter shader that can be seen in the pics below, because it doesn't play nice with the camo shader (thanks again @@Mintograde )
Camo Before: ff921f086629ed5e0d7cd842ba1ef9de.png

Camo After: 45dac867c4d6f594a3abe1351c276ce5.png

EDIT: If anyone has any experience with Lua scripting (or is willing to learn), I am requesting a server script that communicates a countdown via chat leading up to a dead teammate's spawn. I got the idea while playing some split-screen a little while ago. It would be very useful when trying to give a random spawn to a teammate without staying exposed for too long (ex: the random at red base in Hang 'Em High). It would allow players to know the exact moment that their teammate spawns. I requested the script here: http://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/5753-countdown-to-teammate-spawn/

• Upvote (+1) 3

about the shader fix, does it apply for both nvidia and ati/amd cards?

back in the days the gforce cards had issues with the shaders so the camo looked like the lower picture, very hard to tell even with the config editing for alpharendertargets

though the radeon cards made the camo very shiny like in the first picture, there certainly was an advantage to use ati cards

(until everyone went with that console command to use super barebone gfx to see the camo lol)

You wouldnt happen to be a moderator on the xim forums would you? 

yes thats me

• Upvote (+1) 1

Personally (once I get a card/PayPal) I want a beyond server that isn't only MLG. We could do a lot of those huge badass maps that can support 32-64 players.

about the shader fix, does it apply for both nvidia and ati/amd cards?

back in the days the gforce cards had issues with the shaders so the camo looked like the lower picture, very hard to tell even with the config editing for alpharendertargets

though the radeon cards made the camo very shiny like in the first picture, there certainly was an advantage to use ati cards

This is no longer the case. Bungie released a new patch last year when Gamespy got shut down and introduced a fix for the camo shader. It should appear the same to everyone, regardless of hardware (as long as your video card supports pixel shader 2.1 - ex: 99% of cards released in the last decade).

Personally (once I get a card/PayPal) I want a beyond server that isn't only MLG. We could do a lot of those huge badass maps that can support 32-64 players.

First of all, the game only supports 16 players max. There's no way around this.

Second of all, I'm not sure there's any demand to have big 8v8 servers, considering that they make up the vast majority of the server list. If you can get at least 16 players here to express their demand, and if you pay for it, I'll set it up for you.

There are indeed many large maps that use the stock tagset that play excellently in big CTF. Most Halo players agree that big CTF isn't great in CE because of the fact that you can drive a vehicle while holding the flag. Apparently there's a server script that fixes this, so it may be time to give it another shot... But again, I'd need to see demand and I won't be paying for it out of my pocket. 8v8 servers are a dime-a-dozen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's the thing about Halo PC

I played it a bunch on launch, it turned into a BTB only game over time

That's one of the reasons I quit playing it

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's the thing about Halo PC

I played it a bunch on launch, it turned into a BTB only game over time

That's one of the reasons I quit playing it

Mostly due to the fact that the important things in small gametypes (weapon timing, empty weapon despawn, camo visibility, etc) were either broken or unknown to most PC players.

This is no longer the case. Bungie released a new patch last year when Gamespy got shut down and introduced a fix for the camo shader. It should appear the same to everyone, regardless of hardware (as long as your video card supports pixel shader 2.1 - ex: 99% of cards released in the last decade).

First of all, the game only supports 16 players max. There's no way around this.

Second of all, I'm not sure there's any demand to have big 8v8 servers, considering that they make up the vast majority of the server list. If you can get at least 16 players here to express their demand, and if you pay for it, I'll set it up for you.

There are indeed many large maps that use the stock tagset that play excellently in big CTF. Most Halo players agree that big CTF isn't great in CE because of the fact that you can drive a vehicle while holding the flag. Apparently there's a server script that fixes this, so it may be time to give it another shot... But again, I'd need to see demand and I won't be paying for it out of my pocket. 8v8 servers are a dime-a-dozen.

I say 32-64 to be overdramatic. Cause honestly they can get that big. And honestly I personally found that area to be the most fun.

I say 32-64 to be overdramatic. Cause honestly they can get that big. And honestly I personally found that area to be the most fun.

They honestly can't get that big. The max player limit in Halo PC, mods or no mods, is 16 players.

Like I said, if you can show that there are enough people that want to play big games, show me and we can talk about a server.

They honestly can't get that big. The max player limit in Halo PC, mods or no mods, is 16 players.

Like I said, if you can show that there are enough people that want to play big games, show me and we can talk about a server.

Oh no I would be the one paying for the server. And I know the max player limit is 16. I was being overdramatic saying 32.64 cause thats how big some maps can get. Bigass, RPG Beta, and so on. huge maps that can easily fit that many players. Aaaaah.....wishful thinking eh?