stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

Not sure if this might interest people, but I was able to change my PC's resolution to match the same ratio of split screen on OG xbox. To get split screen on a 1080p monitor, you would want 1920x720. For some reason this exact number doesn't work, but 1919x720 does. Here's what I have in my shortcut:

"E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\haloce.exe" -novideo -window -vidmode 1919,720,60

And here's a short demo video of it where I just jumped on some random server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WE1AoqpscQ

Current issues I see is the UI is stretched, and so is the scoreboard in-game. Also the sights look like ovals instead of circles. Maybe this could be fixed if people want to use this. Just thought it might add another layer of authenticity.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just wanted to say thank you stunt_man!

Just wanted to say fuck you Stun Man.

:prayers:

Not sure if this might interest people, but I was able to change my PC's resolution to match the same ratio of split screen on OG xbox. To get split screen on a 1080p monitor, you would want 1920x720. For some reason this exact number doesn't work, but 1919x720 does. Here's what I have in my shortcut:

"E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\haloce.exe" -novideo -window -vidmode 1919,720,60
And here's a short demo video of it where I just jumped on some random server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WE1AoqpscQ

Current issues I see is the UI is stretched, and so is the scoreboard in-game. Also the sights look like ovals instead of circles. Maybe this could be fixed if people want to use this. Just thought it might add another layer of authenticity.

Awesome! Gonna add this to the main post next time I update it :)

Also gg's tonight.

Forgot to add you'll need to change your fov to 108 as well, which I believe is what it is in og xbox split screen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I figured out how to set your monitor's resolution to 1920 x 720 in full screen and maintain the aspect ratio. You need to have the following applications:

Custom Resolution Utility

AMD Catalyst Control Center

1. First, we need to add the resolution to your monitor, so you can change to it when you play. Download the Custom Resolution Utility and unzip the folder.

2. Click on CRU.exe. You should select the monitor you want to change in the drop down menu in the top left.

3. Then in the "Detailed resolutions" section, click "Add..."

4. Change the Horizontal Active pixels to 1920 (should already be at this), and the Vertical Active pixels to 720. This should make some of the other fields change. Click OK

5. Click OK and it should exit the program. Now click on the "restart.exe" executable. Your monitor(s) should flicker a couple of times as this resets the monitor you changed in order to add a resolution.

6. Now if you go into your Screen Resolution Panel in Control Panel, the Display you changed should now have 1920 x 720 as an option. Go ahead and change the monitor to that.

7. Now, if you're picture is stretched vertically to fill the screen, open up Catalyst Control Center.

8. Select the "My Digital Flat-Panels" tab on the left side. Select "Properties (Digital Flat-Panel)".

9. Now make sure you are on the monitor you changed in the top "Select the display that you want to configure" section.

10. Now in the middle, there is an "Image Scaling" section. Check "Enable GPU scaling" and then check "Maintain aspect ratio". You may have to press "Apply" in between each click.

11. Now there should not be any more vertical stretching and your monitor has the same aspect ratio as OG Halo Xbox Splitscreen!

12. To ensure you have the right field of view, either type "fov 108" in the console before you play, or put that in your init.txt file

This works for monitors with a native resolution of 1080p. To calculate what resolution you should use for a different native resolution, put this formula into wolframalpha or something and have it solve for x = 1920/(type in monitor's native width) = 720/x

Here's an example for the native resolution 1368x768

• Upvote (+1) 2

UPDATE 05/02/2016:

Despite the lack of updates here, work continues. Notable progress:

• This project is being rebranded as Halo PC: Final (is there a way to change the thread title?)
  • I've de-prioritized work on the Halo 1.5 map ports in favor of making time for research & development of gameplay fixes.
  • The final versions of the stock maps are coming very soon. We've succeeded in porting the actual Xbox map geometry (BSP) from the original map files. Prior to this new development, I had to rip down the map geometry to raw model format and rebuild. While map geometry was identical, some inconsistencies could be found including slightly different texture coordinates and worse optimization due to the fact that all portal geometry was lost in the porting process. This is no longer the case and future (final) versions of the maps will now be 100% accurate to their Xbox counterparts (including Halo 1.5 map ports).
  • Synchronized shield & armor impact effects for the pistol, assault rifle, shotgun & sniper have all been implemented in our latest test map. We are still measuring performance but so far the results are very promising. The visual feedback when landing a shot on another player is now 100% accurate. Prior to this fix, impact effects only played client-side which meant that feedback often didn't sync with the server, resulting in percieved "dropped shots".
  • Similar to the way that the impact effects now sync, the "shield depleted" effect that plays when a player loses his shield is now server-side and plays 100% of the time, just like on Xbox.
  • Descope upon taking damage now syncs properly as well. Prior to this fix, there were often instances of taking damage but not getting descope, and vice versa. Thanks @@t3h m00kz
  • Major improvements to the HUD are currently in progress, including fixed scope masks that no longer scale (stretch) depending on resolution. See below for images. Oh, and the sniper scope now reads "10x"
  • For consistency's sake, I will be removing sound effects in the same fashion as the Halo 1: Final Xbox mod. Currently, many of the sounds have been made to play only in first person (ex: you can hear the weapon-ready sound but other players can't), but in future releases the sounds will be removed altogether.
  • We're back to square one with the teleporter shader fix. It will be completely reworked from the ground up using a different method.
Images of scope mask fix (work-in-progress!):

Pistol before:

pistol%20before.png

Pistol after:

pistol%20after.jpg

Sniper before:

sniper%20before.png

Sniper after:

sniper%20after.png

• Upvote (+1) 4

nice....nice

will you be adding the same timer as halo 1 final? the in-game talking one...you should

• Upvote (+1) 2

nice....nice

will you be adding the same timer as halo 1 final? the in-game talking one...you should

This is easier said than done. We need to figure out a way to make it sync for people that join the game late. And even if there are no late joiners, each player finishes loading the map at slightly different times due to ping.

That being said, someone in the group has a theory that I need to implement and try out. Stay tuned.

I'm trying to determine demand for the development of a fix to player-induced warping (the type of warping that occurs when nade jumping, or when going faster than a full run, like when you fall off a ledge or something). The potential developer of this fix may need financial motivation. Link:

http://www.strawpoll.me/10126127

I'm down to throw down 25 at the very least, though this fix would be worth much, much more.

I very much encourage people to consider donating to this... his fix will be huge. the physics warping bug is the biggest, most outstanding, most annoying issue with PC at the moment by far

Just to clarify:

1) I haven't received a response from the guy yet so I don't even know if he will consider the offer. Once he agrees, I'll PM you guys the PayPal address.

2) In Halo PC there are two types of warping: a) the type induced by sharing the same location as another player/vehicle, which is commonly referred to as rubberbanding or bump-lag, and b) the type of warping induced when a player's velocity changes rapidly (ex: when nade-jumping or being thrown off a ledge). This mod is strictly to fix the second types of warping (velocity-induced).

For more information, see this thread: http://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/5781-proof-of-concept-syncing-velocity/

Personally, I would take 360 degrees of movement support over 1st person warping, tho 1st person warping is a big deal

Personally, I would take 360 degrees of movement support over 1st person warping, tho 1st person warping is a big deal

What do you mean? The fact that the left stick, even with the fix, is only 8-directions and doesn't allow for walking?

360 degree movement would be nice yes, but I believe it may cause more problems that would need to be fixed as a result. the anti-aim bug in MCC for example seemed to be directly linked to walking and moving in directions that were not WASD. a common exploit was performing small, miniscule movements to throw people's aim off with anti-aim. MCC was a port of PC and it's networking (albeit gradually tweaked overtime), so PC's networking presumably wouldn't support anything besides WASD movement. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me.

still, better movement would be really nice.

360 degree movement would be nice yes, but I believe it may cause more problems that would need to be fixed as a result. the anti-aim bug in MCC for example seemed to be directly linked to walking and moving in directions that were not WASD. a common exploit was performing small, miniscule movements to throw people's aim off with anti-aim. MCC was a port of PC and it's networking (albeit gradually tweaked overtime), so PC's networking presumably wouldn't support anything besides WASD movement. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me.

still, better movement would be really nice.

Oh wow, this is fascinating. Explains why it took so long to fix it.

Still, they did fix it though... I'd love to see 360 degrees of movement fixed and then the subsequent network issues fixed since MCC proved it was possible.

I wish there was a way to get in contact with these devs or 343i to get them to just release a patch for Halo PC for some of these issues that they took care of in MCC...

PS guys how is the shot registration now? I know the update just says "improved" but really, how improved is it? Is it better than MCC?

PS guys how is the shot registration now? I know the update just says "improved" but really, how improved is it? Is it better than MCC?

I don't see "improved shot registration" in the update?

The main problem with the shot registration on PC was always the fact that the game's effects are misleading. The effects aren't spawned by the server, so if your client thinks it hit something, the effect plays. But on the server-side, that was a miss. So everyone thinks the shot registration is terrible because it appears to always take an extra shot or two to kill someone. The opposite was also possible: you would land a shot on the server and the effect wouldn't play on your client.

With the sync fix, all those effects are spawned by the server, so you only see them if the server registered a hit. It's a bit of a stretch to call it "improved shot registration" because I didn't need to touch the way projectiles work or how the netcode handles registration.

I really need to make a video to demonstrate this but when I'm not working on the fixes or maps I'm trying to get some games in lol

So I'm soon going to be changing the way my servers are hosted. Currently I have 3 different subscriptions to EliteGameServers for Halo dedicated servers. For the same monthly price that I'm paying for these three locations (Montreal, Los Angeles, Amsterdam), I could get a few VPS subscriptions instead and double/triple the amount of Halo dedicated server instances at each location. I would also have a greater selection of locations, since there are far more VPS providers than Halo dedi providers. The only caveat is that I'll have to research how to get the Halo dedicated server executable (Windows) to run on linux-based VPS, but I already have some ideas.

Now, that being said - if you would like to see a server near your location, take a second and vote in the strawpoll:

http://www.strawpoll.me/10134738/r

Once I get set up, I'll be able to provide 4v4 & FFA servers if there is still demand.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't see "improved shot registration" in the update?

The main problem with the shot registration on PC was always the fact that the game's effects are misleading. The effects aren't spawned by the server, so if your client thinks it hit something, the effect plays. But on the server-side, that was a miss. So everyone thinks the shot registration is terrible because it appears to always take an extra shot or two to kill someone. The opposite was also possible: you would land a shot on the server and the effect wouldn't play on your client.

With the sync fix, all those effects are spawned by the server, so you only see them if the server registered a hit. It's a bit of a stretch to call it "improved shot registration" because I didn't need to touch the way projectiles work or how the netcode handles registration.

I really need to make a video to demonstrate this but when I'm not working on the fixes or maps I'm trying to get some games in lol

I wasn't talking about the recent update. I haven't played in a while unfortunately, was just wondering about the current state. I did read about how you seem to have fixed the visual effects. So is the shot registration actually good now that you can see the visual? And you don't have to lead too much, I think I read same levels as off-host LAN? And it's consistent (assuming you have a sub 50 ping and good connection)?

I wasn't talking about the recent update. I haven't played in a while unfortunately, was just wondering about the current state. I did read about how you seem to have fixed the visual effects. So is the shot registration actually good now that you can see the visual? And you don't have to lead too much, I think I read same levels as off-host LAN? And it's consistent (assuming you have a sub 50 ping and good connection)?

You don't have to lead very much (maybe not enough....), but I'm running a server script that stabilizes the lead for all players regardless of their ping. So essentially a <50 ping player has to lead the same as a 150 ping player. It's not quite the same as off-host LAN, in that the lead is a fixed amount rather than the original version's variable amount. But the amount you have to lead is reasonable. I can always adjust the stable lead amount in the script, adding more if people speak up about it.