stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

Also I need help with XPadder.

Basically, I am fucking clueless ....what are the values and how can I get it to be like Halo CE?

there's no values. xpadder is used to simply make it so the left stick uses wasd movement. just adjust deadzone values at your personal preference

there's no values. xpadder is used to simply make it so the left stick uses wasd movement. just adjust deadzone values at your personal preference

Thanks, the discord chat helped me figure it out. Appreciate it anyway

Is there a link to all the ports available anywhere? Double take, decidia, imminent, exhibit, and downrush (besides all the originals), are the only five I can find in the servers. I'd really like to get my hands on the other 8, especially outbound and zerohour! Can not find anything on Halomaps either...

Is there a link to all the ports available anywhere? Double take, decidia, imminent, exhibit, and downrush (besides all the originals), are the only five I can find in the servers. I'd really like to get my hands on the other 8, especially outbound and zerohour! Can not find anything on Halomaps either...

If you are looking for the xbox versions (no hit sound, no PC weapons, camo buff, etc) you can get near-final versions from the automatic map downloads on my servers (just vote for the map you want and it will download). Standard versions with normal PC settings are on the way. Both the final Xbox versions and the standard versions will release together, in the near future (a matter of weeks).

If you're a server host and want to host them in their not-final state, that's the only way you can get a hold of them. I'd recommend just waiting a few weeks because some maps have slightly different settings than others, since we're still testing and tweaking stuff. For example, Exhibit, Imminent and Levee have all footprint sounds severely muted, but the other maps only have the metal grate sound removed. Those same maps also have slightly different visual feedback for hits, since we're working out a way to make it all sync up and report less false hits. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

UPDATE 02/29/2016:

Added Xbox version of Hotbox to the mapcycle (final release candidate). New features in this map:

• Syncing cyborg shield spark & cyborg armor spark material response. This is the particle effect that is produced when a hit is landed on another player's shield or armor, respectively. Without this fix, the effects don't always sync, and as such they often report false hits. This is the cause of all the "he just ate my shots" complaints. However, since the effect needs to pass by the server, it is slightly delayed, so the effect doesn't always appear where you hit the player. It doesn't lie anymore, though. Let me know what you think - none of this is final and if it looks too weird I may not use it. Thanks to aLTis for the fix & research.
  • Death sounds! SBBMichelle found a way to bring back the death sounds. So far the sounds will play most of the time when you perform a direct hit. Explosive splash damage doesn't seem to work yet. Still, better than nothing!
  • Upvote (+1) 1

were these fixes done via tags or is it server hackitry?

FX playing server-side is a great fix, it's how CS GO shows hits. I'm interested to know how you did it

were these fixes done via tags or is it server hackitry?

FX playing server-side is a great fix, it's how CS GO shows hits. I'm interested to know how you did it

Via tags. aLTis is the one that figured it out. He uses a method that involves spawning invisible weapons when you land a hit. The material response particle effect is somehow attached to this invisible weapon. There's also a script that continuously despawns these invisible weapons so as to keep performance impact minimal.

Really though, try it out before giving it praise. The fact that the effect is delayed makes it appear to the player like bullets are slower, so it can look really weird. And since getting killed around corners can still happen to some extent (nothing to do with this fix, just shitty netcode), this effect makes it appear to happen more often, when in reality it's just because the effect is delayed.

Personally I prefer this fix over default PC because at least the visual feedback doesn't lie. I consider that more important than the effect reporting exactly where I landed the hit.

-snip-

Good work. I'm pretty curious I heard that the original xbox had some recent progress as far as emulation goes. I wonder if we will have OG CE running on low end computers within the next 10 years. It's amazing to see what people have done with pokemon roms, and if that level of customization could happen anytime within the next 20 years you could create an amazing PC experience. Speaking from a lack of knowledge and just speculation, but I think it would be pretty awesome if something like that happened. Again great work might have to try it out on an extended weekend :D

Good work. I'm pretty curious I heard that the original xbox had some recent progress as far as emulation goes. I wonder if we will have OG CE running on low end computers within the next 10 years. It's amazing to see what people have done with pokemon roms, and if that level of customization could happen anytime within the next 20 years you could create an amazing PC experience. Speaking from a lack of knowledge and just speculation, but I think it would be pretty awesome if something like that happened. Again great work might have to try it out on an extended weekend :D

Xeon is an old abandoned emulator that is actually capable of running OG CE...sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2q9RIKWVgM

Halo: Contortion Evolved

OG Xbox is by far the farthest behind in in terms of sixth generation console emulation.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There's also XQEMU and CXBX

CXBX seems abandoned but XQEMU is still being developed afaik

Via tags. aLTis is the one that figured it out. He uses a method that involves spawning invisible weapons when you land a hit. The material response particle effect is somehow attached to this invisible weapon. There's also a script that continuously despawns these invisible weapons so as to keep performance impact minimal.

Really though, try it out before giving it praise. The fact that the effect is delayed makes it appear to the player like bullets are slower, so it can look really weird. And since getting killed around corners can still happen to some extent (nothing to do with this fix, just shitty netcode), this effect makes it appear to happen more often, when in reality it's just because the effect is delayed.

Personally I prefer this fix over default PC because at least the visual feedback doesn't lie. I consider that more important than the effect reporting exactly where I landed the hit.

For those reading, we jumped into a server and I tested this out.

This work-around is super hacky but it feels much nicer. The effect doesn't entirely attach and sync up on the enemy bipeds, but it still gives good visual feedback. There's a delay in your shot when you fire on enemy bipeds, and the impact effect appears server-side if the shot registers as a hit. It indicates when and where on the server the shot registers. There's no need for a hitsound with this system. I never would have thought to have done this, but looking at the effect tags, yeah you can spawn anything with a projectile impact. Clever work.

There's still cases where you can land a shot and see your bullet hit the wall simultaneously, but that's online networking for you, not really a big deal at all

I'd really like to see this on the sniper rifle. Maybe on all of the other weapons, but I'd say the sniper is a priority.

Maybe on rockets as well?? might be wierd and cause more problems than it'd fix though, cant say for sure

I'd really like to see this on the sniper rifle. Maybe on all of the other weapons, but I'd say the sniper is a priority.

Maybe on rockets as well?? might be wierd and cause more problems than it'd fix though, cant say for sure

I'm only planning on applying it to the pistol, sniper and shotgun. The first two because they're precision weapons, and the second because it can kill in one hit, and when your client tells you that you landed a hit, but you didn't, it's rage-inducing. I have other plans for the rocket launcher but at this point it's just a theory. I'll be discussing with SBBMichelle and aLTis to see if my idea is viable.

UPDATE 03/02/2016:

An automatic Windows 10 update (KB3140743) has broken Xbox One controller compatibility with some games. There is nothing in this update's patch notes to suggest that it messed with anything related to controller drivers, but it is indeed the case.

To confirm, I uninstalled the update (KB3140743) and tested - everything worked fine. However that would only have been a temporary solution, since you can't indefinitely choose not to install an update with Windows 10 - it will eventually apply the update despite the fact that you uninstalled it.

Luckily, I've found a solution:

• Download old drivers from here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=xbox%20one%20controller. You'll need to use Internet Explorer to access that link. Make sure you download the second one in the list (filesize 1.5 MB).
  • Extract the downloaded .cab file into a folder of your choice.
  • Go to Device Manager and scroll down to the Xbox Peripherals section. If you're using default drivers, the device is named "Xbox Controller". Right-click, Update Driver Software..., Browse my computer..., Let me pick..., Have Disk..., Browse..., Navigate to the folder where you extracted the driver package and select xb1usb.inf. You should now see "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" listed in the Model column. Select it and click Next.
  • Let the driver install. Your controller may or may not give a rumble of approval. To verify that it installed correctly, look in Device Manager in the Xbox Peripherals sections. Your controller should now be named Microsoft Xbox One Controller instead of Xbox Controller.
  • Launch Halo and test
The first time I tried this fix, I had to unplug/replug the controller.

NOTE: I'm not sure if Windows 10 will try to update the driver automatically. Just to be sure, I unchecked "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" in the "Check for Updates" app's Advanced Settings.

ALSO: I'm not sure if this old driver will cause problems with Windows 10 apps (ex: Xbox App, Windows 10 games purchased through the Windows Store). Not sure if the headset will work with this driver either.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just wanted to show appreciation for the amount of work you've been putting into this, stunt_man & Co. I haven't played a PC game since Myst first released (console kid 4L) however knowing controller support is there makes it all that more accessible for me. I'm mainly interested in the 1.5 content as it'll likely be the only way I'll ever have the opportunity to play them (I've been trying to keep up with Hasuku's vids for reference).

Keep up the excellent work. I'll know who to reach out to when the time comes.

Just wanted to show appreciation for the amount of work you've been putting into this, stunt_man & Co. I haven't played a PC game since Myst first released (console kid 4L) however knowing controller support is there makes it all that more accessible for me. I'm mainly interested in the 1.5 content as it'll likely be the only way I'll ever have the opportunity to play them (I've been trying to keep up with Hasuku's vids for reference).

Keep up the excellent work. I'll know who to reach out to when the time comes.

Thanks!

I'd wait a bit longer before trying it out, though. The shooting is feeling pretty good with 18 ms lead and the new sync'd shield hit sparks (the latter only available in Hotbox so far), but there is still lots of warping around when you get hit by explosive splash damage (ex: nade jumps) or if you bump up against another player. Someone is looking into a way to smooth out that issue, so until then it's still a little rocky. We get games going anyway, though, and it is nice to be able to play the Halo 1.5 maps.

On the subject of controller support: I can confirm that the OG S controller is compatible with Halo PC on Windows 10. I'll post a detailed guide for the configuration hopefully within the next few days.

The benefit of using an OG S controller vs. Xbox One controller is that the XBCD drivers and setup utility allow for hardware-level customization of deadzones for BOTH sticks. On Xbox One, it is only possible to set a deadzone for the left stick (which was the biggest issue), but the right stick has 0% deadzone, meaning it picks up even the smallest movements. This can make it difficult to make corrections in aiming and also in lining up grenade tricks. With a slight deadzone on the right stick, the controller movement and aiming feel really close to OG, and I'm sure people will find even more accurate settings once more folks get this set up.

UPDATE 03/24/2016:

Couple of recent changes:

• The timer notifications have been removed - only the elapsed-time clock remains in the bottom right. Training wheels are off boys.
  • A new script has been implemented that notifies you when your teammates picks up any of the following items: Rocket Launcher, OS, Camo, Sniper Rifle. This information is readily available in splitscreen anyway. I'm entertaining the thought of disabling this script (and some others) when an admin starts a series.
More Halo 1.5 maps are on the way, the next one being Madhouse. I'm waiting on someone to look into porting the animated pendulum scenery. New features in this map include syncing shield "crack" effect (same method as shield "spark" and armor "spark"), 10x zoom on sniper, and a sneaky prototype fix for bump-lag warping (rubberbanding). Also I got my OG S controller working on PC. In brief, you'll need to use XBCD drivers, but I'll make a setup guide soon.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

• Training wheels are off boys.

Ma-mah trainin wheels?

I'm actually working on a project right now that's going to act as a set of training wheels for new players. Well, sort of. I think its going to be pretty fun once I'm finished.

• The timer notifications have been removed - only the elapsed-time clock remains in the bottom right. Training wheels are off boys

threw me off at first but I love it. after a while everything makes sense.

• A new script has been implemented that notifies you when your teammates picks up any of the following items: Rocket Launcher, OS, Camo, Sniper Rifle. This information is readily available in splitscreen anyway. I'm entertaining the thought of disabling this script (and some others) when an admin starts a series.

love this

More Halo 1.5 maps are on the way, the next one being Madhouse. I'm waiting on someone to look into porting the animated pendulum scenery. New features in this map include syncing shield "crack" effect (same method as shield "spark" and armor "spark"), 10x zoom on sniper, and a sneaky prototype fix for bump-lag warping (rubberbanding). Also I got my OG S controller working on PC. In brief, you'll need to use XBCD drivers, but I'll make a setup guide soon.

how nobody has tried to fix this stuff in the past is completely beyond me. the game's 11 years old. these are all essential changes.

I'm curious about the zoom though... it's just a hud fix right? the hud on og xbox was a lie as far as I know, and the actual zooms were 2x 8x. can't say for certain and I'd double check the xbox tags

Doublepost, but for good reason. Stunt, I wanted to pitch an idea your way and see what you think.

I have a basic idea of how to improve descope, but I'm not certain how well it will work in practice.

When a projectile impacts a player and produces the server-side impact effect upon hitting spartan shields/spartan armor, have it generate an AOE damage_effect of about 0.5-1 world unit and 0 damage (or something really low if 0 doesn't cause descope).

In theory, whenever the impact effect plays, it generates an invisible server-side AOE that's big enough to hit the player on their client and cause a descope.

This won't entirely fix it, but it may improve it. Potential issues would be descoping other players within the AOE radius, and players with higher pings might be able to move out of the way of the AOE.

Here's a visualization:
7a0b255c8f.png

whaddaya think

Doublepost, but for good reason. Stunt, I wanted to pitch an idea your way and see what you think.

I have a basic idea of how to improve descope, but I'm not certain how well it will work in practice.

When a projectile impacts a player and produces the server-side impact effect upon hitting spartan shields/spartan armor, have it generate an AOE damage_effect of about 0.5-1 world unit and 0 damage (or something really low if 0 doesn't cause descope).

In theory, whenever the impact effect plays, it generates an invisible server-side AOE that's big enough to hit the player on their client and cause a descope.

This won't entirely fix it, but it may improve it. Potential issues would be descoping other players within the AOE radius, and players with higher pings might be able to move out of the way of the AOE.

Here's a visualization:

7a0b255c8f.png

whaddaya think

Sounds like it's worth testing for sure. Would you be willing to put it together? I don't do much tag work. That, or you could walk me through it on Discord. I just moved this weekend so I haven't done much Halo stuff in the last week or so, but I'll be hopefully getting back into it this weekend.

I would need you to send me the most up do date weapon tags you're currently using, with the serverside fx fix. I'll be able to hook something up then.

it shouldn't be too hard. it would just be a new damage_effect tag playing along side the serverside impact fx.

it would need some over-the-network testing, of course

I would need you to send me the most up do date weapon tags you're currently using, with the serverside fx fix. I'll be able to hook something up then.

it shouldn't be too hard. it would just be a new damage_effect tag playing along side the serverside impact fx.

it would need some over-the-network testing, of course

Deal I'll upload and send the DL link in Discord this weekend :) If you can whip it up fairly quickly I can get some folks to help test it out in a real match environment.

stunt and I tested, I got it working. it's a small tweak to altis' syncronized effects. we'll be testing it with more people soon.

here's a rundown of the functionality

YUlNLsT.png

Just wanted to say thank you stunt_man! Set this up and it's close enough to the real thing for me. At this point only thing I've noticed is I need to stop doing backpack reloads because I pick up weapons on the ground too often. Is there a way to change my swap weapon button mapping to require me holding down the button for more than just a tap?

Just wanted to say thank you stunt_man! Set this up and it's close enough to the real thing for me. At this point only thing I've noticed is I need to stop doing backpack reloads because I pick up weapons on the ground too often. Is there a way to change my swap weapon button mapping to require me holding down the button for more than just a tap?

Yup you need to only map the Action button (leave Exchange Weapon and Reload unassigned). I have Action mapped to X and it seems fine. I know that framerate seems to affect the required duration of the button press. For example, at 30 FPS lock you need to hold down the button twice as long as when you have the FPS locked to 60 with VSync. So if you're playing without VSync, your framerate might be really high and that's what could be causing the issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know where I can grab the Team Beyond video header? I want to add it to the intro of a promo video that will be released upon completion of this project & the Halo 1.5 map ports.

Thanks

Just wanted to say fuck you Stun Man.

Because why not :)

But for real, one day when I finally have a screen that isn't 80% cracked, I will return to get shit on.

• Upvote (+1) 2