stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

Learn2LAN

Sure, want to come over and LAN? Open invitation to everyone btw

Montreal, QC

As if I'd be doing all this if everyone had people to LAN with.

Not everyone has the privilege of knowing a bunch of locals that are into a 15 year old game. This project aims to make CE more accessible.

I'm sorry that offends you.

Have a nice day

• Upvote (+1) 1

Learn2LAN

Halo PC still has serious networking problems even over LAN.

If you're referring to Halo XBOX, then all I have to say is:

6b4913057ee0cbba80aaeab2fdd5a8b1_origina

• Upvote (+1) 1

Learn2LAN

"Learn2Lan a game that's community is mostly dead and through means inaccessible to your average player"

K bud

Halo PC still has serious networking problems even over LAN.

If you're referring to Halo XBOX, then all I have to say is:

Not sure what you mean? We're all playing with controller in my servers :/

And he's talking about lanning OG Xbox.

And he's talking about lanning OG Xbox.

I know. I was being a smartass since he posted that out of context in a thread about Halo PC.

Not sure what you mean? We're all playing with controller in my servers :/

Tbh, I used a kb/m the first time I tried out the server, and then experimented with controller settings afterword. Is kb/m prohibited?

I know. I was being a smartass since he posted that out of context in a thread about Halo PC.

Tbh, I used a kb/m the first time I tried out the server, and then experimented with controller settings afterword. Is kb/m prohibited?

No it's not prohibited but a lot of us use controllers, so if we want to scrim we may kick players that are using mouse/keyboard. Not a huge deal since we currently have 4 servers (soon to be 3 - Dallas will expire this week since we started one in LA for the West Coast).

Thanks for the great work! Just tried this out on my laptop tonight, and I must say that the PC version has come a long way.

One thing though, my laptop has a Intel HD 4400 integrated graphics card. With graphics on "high" and 1080p resolution the framerate is quite jumpy. The lows are around 20-25 FPS, but most of the time it is stable at 60 FPS.

I know my graphics card is not much in today's world, but the game is nearly 13 years old. Is Halo 1 really that unoptimized that it can't be run in 1080p on a modern, albeit relatively poor, graphics card? Is there some tweaks I can make, or if I should just scale back the resolution a notch?

EDIT: Even going down to 720p and turning off Shadows, Specular and decals did not help much. Better max framerater, but still dips as low as 17 FPS for a split second or two when just looking around at top OS on Decidia...  Tried googling for help, but didn't find much other than to add the card to config.txt, which I have already done.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for the great work! Just tried this out on my laptop tonight, and I must say that the PC version has come a long way.

One thing though, my laptop has a Intel HD 4400 integrated graphics card. With graphics on "high" and 1080p resolution the framerate is quite jumpy. The lows are around 20-25 FPS, but most of the time it is stable at 60 FPS.

I know my graphics card is not much in today's world, but the game is nearly 13 years old. Is Halo 1 really that unoptimized that it can't be run in 1080p on a modern, albeit relatively poor, graphics card? Is there some tweaks I can make, or if I should just scale back the resolution a notch?

EDIT: Even going down to 720p and turning off Shadows, Specular and decals did not help much. Better max framerater, but still dips as low as 17 FPS for a split second or two when just looking around at top OS on Decidia...  Tried googling for help, but didn't find much other than to add the card to config.txt, which I have already done.

Halo 1 and 2 are both un-optimized as hell relative to the time they came out. That said, I don't run the game at 60fps (at least while I'm working on single-player content) since the animations are locked at 30, and I find them incredibly jarring to watch in >30fps gameplay, so that could have something to do with my ability to get it to run good on a few potato laptops. I'd recommend 30FPS. If you MUST use 60fps, I'd recommend either running the game at a lower resolution or possibly running the game in a window.

While I am inclined to think this is because of your integrated card, please indulge me: could you check on the stock maps if you ever get the framerate dips? If you're only getting the issue on my maps, it is possible that they need to be better optimized. It is entirely possible that I didn't detect framerate drops in testing, as my PC runs circles around this game.

That being said, Decidia ran fine on OG Xbox, so it may very well be your GPU that is at the root of the issue.

After more testing I identified VSYNC/30FPS as the culpit. With "NO VSYNC" set in Video Settings I am now rarely seeing dips under 100FPS.

:intensifies:

PS: Since I cannot lock the FPS I do experience some screen tearing, but I can live with that. It is much less annoying than the jittering mess I had before.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah, integrated graphics are gross. do you have any sort of desktop rig you could slap a budget graphics card into?

I ripped and compared the pistol tags between Xbox & PC. The only difference is this settings, which is disabled on Xbox:

projectile%20client%20side.jpg

I disabled it and tested it with @hasuku and another player from the Discord group, and the result was insignificant. Nothing changed in terms of registration and lead (shots still landed when you lead the same amount as usual). The only difference was that you see two bullet impacts: the server-side one that tells you that you hit the player, and another client-side one that shows a bullet impact on the wall behind the player. This is the result of the discrepancy between client/server, which is increased by the use of the no-lead mod. In summary, this setting will be left enabled, as the only result was bad visual feedback.

yeah that setting is kind of fun to play with but it doesn't make much sense to use when no lead is active.

I seriously wonder how the xbox version would act if this setting were ticked. nearly everything in og xbox networking is deterministic/lockstep. I think it would either not cause anything to happen, or it would break everything. or, maybe there's an off chance the og xbox guerilla didn't even have this setting at all, because the editing kits no doubt have some differences here and there. like, Sapien has non-functional Xbox options left over, and GBXmodel tags.. "GearBoxModel"? I doubt Bungie used those

UPDATE 02/11/2016:

Final release candidates for the Xbox versions of Imminent and Levee are now live in the mapcycles of all 3 servers.

Some changes have been made which will be applied to the final releases of all xbox versions, including:

• Slightly nerfed camo compared to other xbox versions in the mapcycle
  • Removed the bullet spark effect which didn't sync up with the server and constantly reported false hits
  • Fixed shotgun reload animation bug from previous versions
The above changes are ONLY available in Imminent and Levee at the moment, but will be applied to all maps in the mapcycle once I go back and re-release them without the "rc_final" suffix in the mapname. This will be transparent for players, as maps are downloaded automatically upon joining the server. That being said, I don't want people to have to download new versions of the entire map cycle every time I tweak a setting, so I am introducing them into the rest of the H1.5 maps as I release them all over the next few weeks.

Also: Roles have been added to the Discord group. I have assigned roles according to control scheme. For example, players that use mouse/keyboard have a different color in the list than players that use controllers. This should be helpful when setting up controller-only matches.

• Upvote (+1) 1

UPDATE 02/13/2016:

Admins (ex: vast majority of Discord group members) can now start a "series" mapcycle. To do so, type /series_start. Map votes and the automatic team shuffler script will be disabled, and a 7-round series will start with the following mapcycle:

• Chillout
  • Prisoner
  • Hang 'Em High
  • Damnation
  • Derelict
  • Battle Creek
  • Downrush
Some of you are used to Rat Race instead of Downrush, but Rat Race is boring so I changed it. Hit me up if you think it should remain Rat Race and we discuss.

After round 7 (Downrush), the mapcycle will loop (will start again at Chillout). When all players are finished playing, the admin must type "/series_end" to re-enable map votes and automatic team shuffling. I am looking into a way to automate "series_end", but until then I ask that admins please remember to type the command to get everything back to normal.

Additionally, I've added a new admin command to force-shuffle the teams: "/shuffle_teams". After starting a series, admins will have 15 seconds to execute this command manually if the teams aren't already set up as desired. This doesn't leave much time, so I strongly recommend that you arrange for the teams to be set up before executing the "/series_start" command.

UPDATE 02/17/2016:

Added Xbox version of Exhibit to the mapcycle (final release candidate). Like Imminent and Levee, Exhibit features the latest camo settings and the removal of the shield spark effect (see older updates for more info).

Also: Roles have been added to the Discord group. I have assigned roles according to control scheme. For example, players that use mouse/keyboard have a different color in the list than players that use controllers. This should be helpful when setting up controller-only matches.

Gaben didn't die for this.

Out of curiosity, do you have a map list anywhere? I know you're still working on some of the maps, but what's a more finalized list going to look like?

These are the best servers on Halo CE if you want to play 2v2. I've had so much fun on them. If you've never tried Halo on PC or you're sceptical about the game but you have a controller you should give this a try!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gaben didn't die for this.

wut

Out of curiosity, do you have a map list anywhere? I know you're still working on some of the maps, but what's a more finalized list going to look like?

Sure, here are the maps available in the current mapcycle:

xbox_chillout_rc_final

xbox_downrush_h1.5_rc_final

xbox_prisoner_rc_final

xbox_damnation_rc_final

xbox_carousel_rc_final

xbox_imminent_h1.5_rc_final

xbox_decidia_h1.5_rc_final

xbox_beavercreek_rc_final

xbox_exhibit_h1.5_rc_final

xbox_doubletake_h1.5_rc_final

xbox_hangemhigh_rc_final

xbox_zerohour_h1.5_rc_final

xbox_levee_h1.5_rc_final

xbox_ratrace_rc_final

Final mapcycle will see the removal of Levee and addition of Hotbox, Red Shift & Outbound. Other Halo 1.5 maps that are less popular will make an appearance in the mapcycle for a few weeks (same as Levee right now), but will be removed unless there is a demand.

Hey @@stunt_man I may finally have the means to play on your server...have my laptop finally working

How well would a windows 8 HP laptop using integrated graphics run CE? I hear it isn't optimized the best

My laptop w/Intel HD graphics runs it just fine. Just try and see. Do note though, that I had issues with VSYNC and locking to 30FPS: So try disabling that if you are getting a low framerate.

My laptop w/Intel HD graphics runs it just fine. Just try and see. Do note though, that I had issues with VSYNC and locking to 30FPS: So try disabling that if you are getting a low framerate.

Thanks. Lol I don't want to be a pirate but is there any way I could get the game free...like is it open source now that is 13 years old?

Thanks. Lol I don't want to be a pirate but is there any way I could get the game free...like is it open source now that is 13 years old?

It's for sale for $20 on the Microsoft store and on Amazon. This is your best bet, and guarantees a legit key and the optimal experience.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Halo-Combat-Evolved-PC-Game/productID.253659000

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Combat-Evolved-PC/dp/B00009TW6R

Despite the capabilities of the content creation tools, the code is not open source, nor is it available on any digital distribution platforms.

Which is a shame. Custom Edition's still got a fairly large population for it's age, over 1000 players every day during peak hours. If it were available on Steam, the population would be significantly larger.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's for sale for $20 on the Microsoft store and on Amazon. This is your best bet, and guarantees a legit key and the optimal experience.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Halo-Combat-Evolved-PC-Game/productID.253659000

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Combat-Evolved-PC/dp/B00009TW6R

Despite the capabilities of the content creation tools, the code is not open source, nor is it available on any digital distribution platforms.

Which is a shame. Custom Edition's still got a fairly large population for it's age, over 1000 players every day during peak hours. If it were available on Steam, the population would be significantly larger.

On one hand I want to thank you

And on the other I want to tell you to fuck yourself because in this world, it's kill or be killed

• Upvote (+1) 1

On one hand I want to thank you

And on the other I want to tell you to fuck yourself because in this world, it's kill or be killed

call for help, I dare you

cry into the darkness

Also I need help with XPadder.

Basically, I am fucking clueless ....what are the values and how can I get it to be like Halo CE?