stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

Of course, only reason I brought up hitscan is because it may have been a way to indirectly improve online play which is pretty much the most pressing issue this project faces.

Because there's no aim assist and less magnetism with a mouse and it's also easier/faster to strafe and crouch with a keyboard.

There is auto-aim with the mouse. No magnetism.

But the more you play, the more you realize that the shot reg in MCC is in fact less consistent across matches than the PC version. Keep in mind I'm talking strictly about the no-lead mod + 002's custom lead script. Can't argue that the shot reg without any mods is complete garbage on PC. When set to 18ms, the lead seems to stay consistent, regardless of who you're shooting at (within reason - see one of the later updates I posted regarding high pings and region-locking my servers). The amount you have to lead in MCC seems to change on a per-player and per-match basis. Players with bad connections (ex: wifi, hotspots, etc) have a huge advantage (as reported by many players on this board), even more so than Halo PC. Coupled with the broken bullet magnetism (it hasn't been fixed), the shot registration in the MCC is nowhere near as glamorous as you're making it out to be.

I've not heard of inconsistent pistol or sniper registration happening. Do you have any video examples? I'd like to see.

In my case, Whenever I see my pistol shot impact, damage is sent to the enemy. If I see my sniper impact somebody's face, it counts as a headshot. That, to me personally, is what I expect to happen.

I.E. If I see this,

de2d229b3e.jpg

it will count as damage. This is not the case on PC due to the RNG variations between clients and server. One downside is players die behind walls, because the reg is strictly based what on your client says happened. The upside is the shots always hit when you see them hit, which I think is most important.

The pistol's projectile velocity and initial error (again, the pistol is not 100% accurate) may be to blame for shots that "feel" like they should have hit, especially at longer ranges. I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN this is the case with Xbox but I don't really know how to look at Xbox tags, I've never modded xbox. Even across rat race these will start making shots less consistent. There are little to no cases I've seen personally, where those impacts will not cause damage, but it may occur a really bad host. I'm not sure. All of the magnetism and auto-aim weirdness are separate systems in the netcode from how projectile impacts are registered.

You already know the pistol tag's error values and the bullet projectile's velocities by now I'm sure, so I'll spare you the math.

Rockets and nades (also fuel rod, plasma pistol overcharge, tank shells, rocket hogs) are server authorative to prevent desyncs. Halo 2 and 3 did this as well for slower projectiles. The projectiles will not appear if you are in a state on the server where you cannot fire when you've fired on your client. There are edge cases where you'll see this happen, I.E. when you die right after you fire. I'm uncertain if this was true in Halo 2 or 3, but I think it was. The weirdest thing I've seen is how the auto-aim affects the rocket projectiles. It's super weird.

E:

Looks like you're going to be looking into any weapon differences next week. I'm interested in those findings as well. What's weird is I'm almost 100% certain the Pistol on Xbox functions differently in MP than it does in Campaign. It has spread in MP and it doesn't in Campaign.

That reminds me, some noob was destroying me with the Needler last week lmao... is it stronger on PC or something?

As far as I know, the weapon values have not changed between PC and Xbox (although there is a needler_mp weapon tag on pc, not sure if it was on xbox). The needler does use a ton of RNG which causes a lot of desyncs between players and can cause extremely confusing results.

Only Stunt can confirm

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is auto-aim with the mouse. No magnetism.

Terminology may vary (as discussed here: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49015) but the concepts are the same.

I've not heard of inconsistent pistol or sniper registration happening. Do you have any video examples? I'd like to see.

I'm glad you asked.

Refer to this site for all the reasons why high-level players' blood pressures rise when trying to play serious matches on MCC CE:

http://www.halobugs.com/#?s=priority

More specifically, refer to these bugs:

Rockets and nades (also fuel rod, plasma pistol overcharge, tank shells, rocket hogs) are server authorative to prevent desyncs. Halo 2 and 3 did this as well for slower projectiles. The projectiles will not appear if you are in a state on the server where you cannot fire when you've fired on your client. There are edge cases where you'll see this happen, I.E. when you die right after you fire. I'm uncertain if this was true in Halo 2 or 3, but I think it was. The weirdest thing I've seen is how the auto-aim affects the rocket projectiles. It's super weird.

My personal favourites:

Curiously, I never experienced this in Halo PC until I messed with the local_player_update_rate server value. At 15 (default), there appears to be less instances of desyncs, but more warping when performing nade jumps. No such thing as a free lunch, I guess.

E:

Looks like you're going to be looking into any weapon differences next week. I'm interested in those findings as well. What's weird is I'm almost 100% certain the Pistol on Xbox functions differently in MP than it does in Campaign. It has spread in MP and it doesn't in Campaign.

I just came across this one:

I'm eager to research the differences for all weapons between Xbox & PC and I'll be looking into this before I push out the final releases of the Xbox versions of the maps. Right now they're at "final release candidate" status, with only very minor bugs remaining. I'll need to put together some test builds in order to properly test things like shot registration. It may not be this week - I need to play the game a bit after all this work. I also need to play in order to reveal any remaining issues with server settings and maps.

Last night we had great back-to-back matches for a few hours with @@xorg. @@Mintograde jumped in at the end and I started losing my shit, but I really don't mind, I'll play with anyone. Just need to shuffle teams :P You can catch last night's stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/stunt_man_gmyf/v/37684000

• Upvote (+1) 3

OKAY WOW I looked at the curving bullets. That's absolutely messed up. Last time I played that wasn't an issue, and apparently something broke badly. That should never happen.

As far as "projectiles are client side only," I can tell you exactly what that does. Ticking that on or off will determine weather the shot appears as server-authorative or not.  You fire the shot, delay, shot appears when it's on the server. I used that a bit in my mods. Are you familiar with the CMT_Snow_Grove shotgun? Or the charge arrow from Hyrule? It shows the "truth," I.E. where the projectile is on the server. However it's EXTREMELY laggy, and detonation FX don't play. If you tick that with a Rocket Launcher, you'll see the rocket as it shows up on the server, but it won't play the explosion. If you tick it with the Plasma Pistol overcharge, you'll see the shot warp around once every second or half-second.

When I messed around with it in a few of my mod releases, people generally weren't a fan of how it felt.

I mean, if you want to, you could mess around with that and disable the no-lead fix. You'll have to lead your shots based on ping, but you'll see the shots come out on the server. Rockets and various FX will be broken. It's KIND OF similar to Xbox Lan, but it looks really gross.

OKAY WOW I looked at the curving bullets. That's absolutely messed up. Last time I played that wasn't an issue, and apparently something broke badly. That should never happen.

As far as "projectiles are client side only," I can tell you exactly what that does. Ticking that on or off will determine weather the shot appears as server-authorative or not.  You fire the shot, delay, shot appears when it's on the server. I used that a bit in my mods. Are you familiar with the CMT_Snow_Grove shotgun? Or the charge arrow from Hyrule? It shows the "truth," I.E. where the projectile is on the server. However it's EXTREMELY laggy, and detonation FX don't play. If you tick that with a Rocket Launcher, you'll see the rocket as it shows up on the server, but it won't play the explosion. If you tick it with the Plasma Pistol overcharge, you'll see the shot warp around once every second or half-second.

When I messed around with it in a few of my mod releases, people generally weren't a fan of how it felt.

I mean, if you want to, you could mess around with that and disable the no-lead fix. You'll have to lead your shots based on ping, but you'll see the shots come out on the server. Rockets and various FX will be broken. It's KIND OF similar to Xbox Lan, but it looks really gross.

I'll need to do some trial-and-error on that sort of thing and test in conjunction with different server settings. You know your way around this stuff, I'll need you to help test as well as some Xbox players that are able to articulate shot reg issues, that are used to playing on LAN (@@Mintograde & @@KingNick come to mind).

UPDATE 01/18/2016:

I made a guide for people that want to set up XPadder in order to get a controller working properly. Open the spoiler to reveal it - it's very pic-heavy.

Thank you for this! I was setting this up wrong and just could not find how it should be setup correctly anywhere. Will be trying this out soon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thank you for this! I was setting this up wrong and just could not find how it should be setup correctly anywhere. Will be trying this out soon.

Join the Discord we're getting stronger every day fam

If anyone here is interested, I'll PM you guys a mirror to the CE Xbox maps. The only tools I'm familiar with are Assembly and HEK, but you should be able to use something like Arsenic to view and edit the tags.

If anyone here is interested, I'll PM you guys a mirror to the CE Xbox maps. The only tools I'm familiar with are Assembly and HEK, but you should be able to use something like Arsenic to view and edit the tags.

I've already got them but some of them have been decompressed and recompressed, I could use a clean set that I can backup and keep forevs.

And Arsenic is exactly what I've been using to view tag values. Entity is good for ripping BSP's - but I never got that aspect of it to work, so someone else had to rip geometry for me (halo 1.5 maps + hangemhigh, beavercreek + other maps with geometry differences).

I'll be posting random gameplays from stunt_man's servers into this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-bKsgGUdGflubiVE377nKuQUHkcKsVjx

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-bKsgGUdGflubiVE377nKuQUHkcKsVjx

Also.. this is by far my favorite MCC bug: http://www.halobugs.com/#?b=152

Kb/m footage btw  :salt:

And you didn't apply the HAC2 fix. Takes 5 secs to install the timer won't bug out like that.

Essential Fix: HAC.dll

• In order for notifications for the timer script mentioned below to work properly, you will need to place the following .dll file in the Halo Custom Edition directory (default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition). This fix is supposed to come out as an auto-update for HAC2 soon, but in the meantime you can grab it from the dropbox link below.
  • Download from: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ducb17iut7hj7fw/hac.zip?dl=0
  • Upvote (+1) 1

any progress on the comparison of og xbox tags vs pc? I'm super interested in seeing them

Not yet, I've been actually playing the game now that almost everything's working well. I'll be looking into it soon.

UPDATE 01/23/2016:

Amsterdam server has been added for the Europeans:

b_560x95.png

And the Dallas server is now 4v4 instead of 2v2.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And the Dallas server is now 4v4 instead of 2v2.

Negative, this is a bug. A support ticket has been opened with the service provider. All servers are still 2v2 until further notice (soon).

Negative, this is a bug. A support ticket has been opened with the service provider. All servers are still 2v2 until further notice (soon).

Ah, that's good to know. Dallas is the only server I can get an acceptable ping on so I'm glad I can still play 2v2.

Ah, that's good to know. Dallas is the only server I can get an acceptable ping on so I'm glad I can still play 2v2.

Where are you located, again? Australia?

Where are you located, again? Australia?

Yeah that's right. I get about 210 ping at best. By the way, the Dallas server actually does allow 8 players to join, I've been playing 4v4 in it for the last half hour.

Yeah that's right. I get about 210 ping at best. By the way, the Dallas server actually does allow 8 players to join, I've been playing 4v4 in it for the last half hour.

I know, like I said it's a bug with the server provider. It sometimes resets to 8 max players. Upon resolution of the bug it will reset back to 4 players max, as intended.

Are there any Ohio/Columbus servers that regularly have enough players to run games?

The Montreal server should perform very well for you. Every night around 8:30-9:00PM EST the servers fill up. It's easy to get matches going, as long as you're in the Discord group.

Nice surprise coming across an EU server of this randomly :) Thanks a lot

Glad to hear it :)

UPDATE 01/30/2016:

Here are my findings in terms of netcode adjustments:

• local_player_update rate, if decreased below its default value (15), introduces many more instances of disappearing nades & rockets, at any ping. It also appears to nearly completely eliminate warping while performing things like nade jumps, as long as you have low ping. I will leave this at the default setting.
  • custom_sleep doesn't seem to make much of a difference as far as I can tell. I'll be leaving it at 4 (default is 8).
  • By removing the "cyborg energy shield" default results reference from the bullet.projectile's Material Responses, the shield spark is removed. This should completely eliminate false-positives in terms of visual feedback. So shot reg should be more straightforward, at least in terms of visual feedback (less instances of "I swear I hit you, I even saw the shield spark").
I ripped and compared the pistol tags between Xbox & PC. The only difference is this settings, which is disabled on Xbox:

projectile%20client%20side.jpg

I disabled it and tested it with @hasuku and another player from the Discord group, and the result was insignificant. Nothing changed in terms of registration and lead (shots still landed when you lead the same amount as usual). The only difference was that you see two bullet impacts: the server-side one that tells you that you hit the player, and another client-side one that shows a bullet impact on the wall behind the player. This is the result of the discrepancy between client/server, which is increased by the use of the no-lead mod. In summary, this setting will be left enabled, as the only result was bad visual feedback.