stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

I won't consider disabling descoping completely. A couple questions: are you sure this also occurs with projectiles? At the same frequency as with nades?

I'm wondering, because there does appear to be disagreements between the client and server rather frequently, even in terms of pistol battles. @@KingNick and I played with an Australian and a European last night and we would switch teams every few games. He is much better at noticing and articulating problems with shot reg than I am, since his shot is much stronger, and he said that while he didn't have problems landing shots on me (we both ping about 24 ms to the server), he could hardly land shots on the Australian, who was pinging about 220 ms.

The amount of shot lead appears to be consistent across all players in a match, but the consistency of the registration seems to differ. I believe that there are many more disagreements between server/client when a player with low ping is fighting a player with high ping.

If the problem occurs more often when a low-ping player is fighting against a high-ping player, I'm going to have to consider region-locking servers to some extent (by enforcing a strict ping kick). I won't proceed with this solution unless I can host servers across multiple regions, though, because I still want people to be able to get into games.

absolutely. I am 100% certain it happens with projectiles as well. If your client is hit by anything that would cause damage in a non-network scenario (projectiles, AOE, etc), it will descope. I've tested this thoroughly.

The problem isn't necessarily just the ping. The problem is discrepancies between the clients/server due to RNG systems, and discrepancies in positioning due to ping. Honestly, now that I think about it... those aren't even the problem. The problem is the fact that the game is coded like asscheeks and descope isn't tied to taking damage.

A lower ping would IMPROVE this issue, but it won't FIX it. A true fix would be to tie descope directly to taking damage on every client. Unless that happens, due to the nature of RNG and position discrepancies, it will never be consistent.

There are three different shot trajectories that occur when you shoot somebody on a dedicated server:

- You

- The server

- The enemy you're shooting at

This is a diagram that shows what's happening.

04b65f5774.png

A side note: This diagram also highlights a shot reg issue. This shot will miss although though it looks as if you've hit, even with the server shot reg fix. CSGO does similar things to prevent client-side hacking. However, it IS slightly confusing, because on your screen the player will play a damaged animation and will show the impact FX. These should only play when the server says it happened, to prevent visual confusion.

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain what the server-side shot reg fix is doing. I want to say it's pushing the player model forward based on ping to the server and estimating where it should be, but again, I'm not certain. If that's what it's doing, it's doing so somewhat unreliably, and I'd imagine the higher the ping, the less reliable.

Aghh Halo 1 PC's networking is so gross.. but I've played the game for so long that I'm familiar with all of the BS and am kind of attached. skill gap ;)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Great post. This clearly demonstrates the problem with the registration and de-scope issues.

Now that we have the problem articulated, I'm wondering whether anything can be done about it through either server commands, scripts, client modification, etc.

The first thing I'd like to try is removing 002's Custom Lead script to see if it helps. The way I understand it, it's working on top of the standard no-lead mod. So basically, the no-lead mod uses the method that you guessed: it compensates for a player's ping by moving the player model forward in relation to the player's latency. Rather than "removing the lead" it "moves the players" into the shots. The Custom Lead script slightly reverses this action to add a bit of lead. The goal there was to make it slightly harder to lead your shots, because many found lead 0 to simply be too generous. I really like the amount of lead that I have right now, though, and it would be a shame to remove the script, but if it means that shots will land more consistently, it's worth trying out.

The second thing I'd like to test is removing the no-lead mod altogether just to see if the same problems persists. I really don't like even entertaining the thought of playing with Halo PC's vanilla, ridiculous netcode-based shot lead, but in the scope of determining the root cause of these issues, it's worth trying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I doubt vanilla networking would alleviate anything related to descope, unfortunately. The differences are only visual as far as I know. But everything's worth testing, I wouldn't rule anything out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

UPDATE 01/22/2016:

So following a discussion with Btcc22 in the Discord group (get in there @@t3h m00kz ), it appears that neither the warping, rubberbanding nor the inconsistent registration are being caused by the no-lead mod, nor the Custom Lead script - these issues are inherent netcode issues.

The reason why the bad shot reg is more noticeable while using the no-lead mod is because with the no-lead mod, you can see exactly where you're shooting, whereas without the no-lead mod, players are more likely to think they didn't adjust their lead correctly and simply missed. In reality, the issue occurs at the same rate with or without the no-lead mod.

Warping and rubberbanding are also a product of netcode optimization (thanks Gearbox...). Fixing this is no easy task and is far beyond my area of expertise. If any coders want to dive into this, @@Hootspa has figured out how to decompile Halo's .exe and get the assembly code. Join the Discord group to discuss with him and some other people that may be able to help.

I cannot promise any improvements to this, because like I said I am powerless to fix it.

That being said, many of these issues are partially mitigated when all players in the server have low ping.

I will need to enforce a strict automatic ping kick on my servers. I will review the locations of current servers and try to spread them out across different regions before enforcing the ping kick. This should prevent instances of Americans, Aussies and Europeans raging at each other in the same server because of bad shot reg. A third server may be added to the pool early next week, whose location is to be determined.

Ideally, server locations would look something like:

• Montreal for East Coast players
  • California for West Coast and Australian players
  • Amsterdam for European players
The ping kick threshold will be set around 100 to start, and feedback will be monitored to determine whether this needs to be further tweaked.

Additionally, server admins will be an exception to the ping kick rule. This means that if I make you a low-level admin, and you're a masochist, you can still play against players with high ping in any region's server.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MODS: If possible, please move this post up to #2. I had to remove old updates from the OP because I busted the character limit and crashed the page with the latest update.

UPDATE 06/07/2016:

Believe it or not the Halo 1.5 PC project is coming to a close and I will be releasing all the map ports as well as the server configuration files to the public. Within the next few weeks, we will be putting together a promotional video which will include some snazzy flythroughs of the new maps as well as some in-game footage.

This is not to be confused with the Halo PC Final project (ex: Xbox versions of the default maps), which is also coming to a close but will be released after the Halo 1.5 map ports.

We are accepting capture gameplay footage from all members of this group. Here are the minimum requirements for submissions:

• Clips recorded must be from gameplay that takes place in one of the Good Maps Ya Fucks servers.
  • Footage must be recorded in 1920x1080 and maintain a minimum of 30 FPS (video will be capped at 30 FPS).
  • FOV must be between 90-105. Use the HAC2 console command "fov #"
  • Controller & Mouse/keyboard footage will be accepted. Your control scheme will be identified in the final video with a small message in the bottom corner of the screen.
  • NO config.txt file modifications. No DART. Turn it off if you want to get in the video.
  • Gameplay should be recorded on the new maps. They include Crossway, Madhouse, Exhibit, Redshift, Hotbox, Decidia, Levee, Downrush, Doubletake, Imminent, Outbound, Zerohour & Uplift. Yes I know some of these aren't in the mapcycle yet, but they soon will be Beyond%20Smiley.png
  • Gameplay clips should NOT use Youtube-level compression. Upload your files to dropbox or something. We will not be accepting streaming links unless the clip can be downloaded and isn't too lossy.
If you have clips that are recorded on the Xbox versions of default maps, hold onto them! We'll be doing the same deal when we promote the Halo PC Final project's release.

Here are some guidelines that will improve your chances of making the final cut:

• All settings on HIGH.
  • Controller gameplay.
  • No laggy/warpy/questionable network-related situations.
  • HAC2's Custom Chat ON.
Your in-game name will be displayed alongside your control scheme at the bottom of the clip. This will be handled during editing.

PM your submissions to me directly (in Discord), and ask your questions in the #halo_pc_general channel (or in this thread).

UPDATE 05/02/2016:

Despite the lack of updates here, work continues. Notable progress:

• This project is being rebranded as Halo PC: Final (is there a way to change the thread title?)
  • I've de-prioritized work on the Halo 1.5 map ports in favor of making time for research & development of gameplay fixes.
  • The final versions of the stock maps are coming very soon. We've succeeded in porting the actual Xbox map geometry (BSP) from the original map files. Prior to this new development, I had to rip down the map geometry to raw model format and rebuild. While map geometry was identical, some inconsistencies could be found including slightly different texture coordinates and worse optimization due to the fact that all portal geometry was lost in the porting process. This is no longer the case and future (final) versions of the maps will now be 100% accurate to their Xbox counterparts (including Halo 1.5 map ports).
  • Synchronized shield & armor impact effects for the pistol, assault rifle, shotgun & sniper have all been implemented in our latest test map. We are still measuring performance but so far the results are very promising. The visual feedback when landing a shot on another player is now 100% accurate. Prior to this fix, impact effects only played client-side which meant that feedback often didn't sync with the server, resulting in percieved "dropped shots".
  • Similar to the way that the impact effects now sync, the "shield depleted" effect that plays when a player loses his shield is now server-side and plays 100% of the time, just like on Xbox.
  • Descope upon taking damage now syncs properly as well. Prior to this fix, there were often instances of taking damage but not getting descope, and vice versa. Thanks @@t3h m00kz
  • Major improvements to the HUD are currently in progress, including fixed scope masks that no longer scale (stretch) depending on resolution. See below for images. Oh, and the sniper scope now reads "10x"
  • For consistency's sake, I will be removing sound effects in the same fashion as the Halo 1: Final Xbox mod. Currently, many of the sounds have been made to play only in first person (ex: you can hear the weapon-ready sound but other players can't), but in future releases the sounds will be removed altogether.
  • We're back to square one with the teleporter shader fix. It will be completely reworked from the ground up using a different method.
Images of scope mask fix (work-in-progress!):

Pistol before:

pistol%20before.png

Pistol after:

pistol%20after.jpg

Sniper before:

sniper%20before.png

Sniper after:

sniper%20after.png

UPDATE 03/24/2016:

Couple of recent changes:

• The timer notifications have been removed - only the elapsed-time clock remains in the bottom right. Training wheels are off boys.
  • A new script has been implemented that notifies you when your teammates picks up any of the following items: Rocket Launcher, OS, Camo, Sniper Rifle. This information is readily available in splitscreen anyway. I'm entertaining the thought of disabling this script (and some others) when an admin starts a series.
More Halo 1.5 maps are on the way, the next one being Madhouse. I'm waiting on someone to look into porting the animated pendulum scenery. New features in this map include syncing shield "crack" effect (same method as shield "spark" and armor "spark"), 10x zoom on sniper, and a sneaky prototype fix for bump-lag warping (rubberbanding). Also I got my OG S controller working on PC. In brief, you'll need to use XBCD drivers, but I'll make a setup guide soon.

UPDATE 03/02/2016:

An automatic Windows 10 update (KB3140743) has broken Xbox One controller compatibility with some games. There is nothing in this update's patch notes to suggest that it messed with anything related to controller drivers, but it is indeed the case.

To confirm, I uninstalled the update (KB3140743) and tested - everything worked fine. However that would only have been a temporary solution, since you can't indefinitely choose not to install an update with Windows 10 - it will eventually apply the update despite the fact that you uninstalled it.

Luckily, I've found a solution:

• Download old drivers from here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=xbox%20one%20controller. You'll need to use Internet Explorer to access that link. Make sure you download the second one in the list (filesize 1.5 MB).
  • Extract the downloaded .cab file into a folder of your choice.
  • Go to Device Manager and scroll down to the Xbox Peripherals section. If you're using default drivers, the device is named "Xbox Controller". Right-click, Update Driver Software..., Browse my computer..., Let me pick..., Have Disk..., Browse..., Navigate to the folder where you extracted the driver package and select xb1usb.inf. You should now see "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" listed in the Model column. Select it and click Next.
  • Let the driver install. Your controller may or may not give a rumble of approval. To verify that it installed correctly, look in Device Manager in the Xbox Peripherals sections. Your controller should now be named Microsoft Xbox One Controller instead of Xbox Controller.
  • Launch Halo and test
The first time I tried this fix, I had to unplug/replug the controller.

NOTE: I'm not sure if Windows 10 will try to update the driver automatically. Just to be sure, I unchecked "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" in the "Check for Updates" app's Advanced Settings.

ALSO: I'm not sure if this old driver will cause problems with Windows 10 apps (ex: Xbox App, Windows 10 games purchased through the Windows Store). Not sure if the headset will work with this driver either.

UPDATE 02/29/2016:

Added Xbox version of Hotbox to the mapcycle (final release candidate). New features in this map:

• Syncing cyborg shield spark & cyborg armor spark material response. This is the particle effect that is produced when a hit is landed on another player's shield or armor, respectively. Without this fix, the effects don't always sync, and as such they often report false hits. This is the cause of all the "he just ate my shots" complaints. However, since the effect needs to pass by the server, it is slightly delayed, so the effect doesn't always appear where you hit the player. It doesn't lie anymore, though. Let me know what you think - none of this is final and if it looks too weird I may not use it. Thanks to aLTis for the fix & research.
  • Death sounds! SBBMichelle found a way to bring back the death sounds. So far the sounds will play most of the time when you perform a direct hit. Explosive splash damage doesn't seem to work yet. Still, better than nothing!

UPDATE 02/17/2016:

Added Xbox version of Exhibit to the mapcycle (final release candidate). Like Imminent and Levee, Exhibit features the latest camo settings and the removal of the shield spark effect (see older updates for more info).

UPDATE 02/13/2016:

Admins (ex: vast majority of Discord group members) can now start a "series" mapcycle. To do so, type /series_start. Map votes and the automatic team shuffler script will be disabled, and a 7-round series will start with the following mapcycle:

• Chillout
  • Prisoner
  • Hang 'Em High
  • Damnation
  • Derelict
  • Battle Creek
  • Downrush
Some of you are used to Rat Race instead of Downrush, but Rat Race is boring so I changed it. Hit me up if you think it should remain Rat Race and we discuss.

After round 7 (Downrush), the mapcycle will loop (will start again at Chillout). When all players are finished playing, the admin must type "/series_end" to re-enable map votes and automatic team shuffling. I am looking into a way to automate "series_end", but until then I ask that admins please remember to type the command to get everything back to normal.

Additionally, I've added a new admin command to force-shuffle the teams: "/shuffle_teams". After starting a series, admins will have 15 seconds to execute this command manually if the teams aren't already set up as desired. This doesn't leave much time, so I strongly recommend that you arrange for the teams to be set up before executing the "/series_start" command.

UPDATE 02/11/2016:

Final release candidates for the Xbox versions of Imminent and Levee are now live in the mapcycles of all 3 servers.

Some changes have been made which will be applied to the final releases of all xbox versions, including:

• Slightly nerfed camo compared to other xbox versions in the mapcycle
  • Removed the bullet spark effect which didn't sync up with the server and constantly reported false hits
  • Fixed shotgun reload animation bug from previous versions
The above changes are ONLY available in Imminent and Levee at the moment, but will be applied to all maps in the mapcycle once I go back and re-release them without the "rc_final" suffix in the mapname. This will be transparent for players, as maps are downloaded automatically upon joining the server. That being said, I don't want people to have to download new versions of the entire map cycle every time I tweak a setting, so I am introducing them into the rest of the H1.5 maps as I release them all over the next few weeks.

Also: Roles have been added to the Discord group. I have assigned roles according to control scheme. For example, players that use mouse/keyboard have a different color in the list than players that use controllers. This should be helpful when setting up controller-only matches.

UPDATE 01/30/2016:

Here are my findings in terms of netcode adjustments:

• local_player_update rate, if decreased below its default value (15), introduces many more instances of disappearing nades & rockets, at any ping. It also appears to nearly completely eliminate warping while performing things like nade jumps, as long as you have low ping. I will leave this at the default setting.
  • custom_sleep doesn't seem to make much of a difference as far as I can tell. I'll be leaving it at 4 (default is 8).
  • By removing the "cyborg energy shield" default results reference from the bullet.projectile's Material Responses, the shield spark is removed. This should completely eliminate false-positives in terms of visual feedback. So shot reg should be more straightforward, at least in terms of visual feedback (less instances of "I swear I hit you, I even saw the shield spark"). Here's a pic of the reference that was removed to disable the effect: material%20response.jpg
I ripped and compared the pistol tags between Xbox & PC. The only difference is this setting, which is disabled on Xbox:

projectile%20client%20side.jpg

I disabled it and tested it with @hasuku and another player from the Discord group, and the result was insignificant. Nothing changed in terms of registration and lead (shots still landed when you lead the same amount as usual). The only difference was that you see two bullet impacts: the server-side one that tells you that you hit the player, and another client-side one that shows a bullet impact on the wall behind the player. This is the result of the discrepancy between client/server, which is increased by the use of the no-lead mod. In summary, this setting will be left enabled, as the only result was bad visual feedback.

MAJOR UPDATE 01/25/2016:

Testing is over folks. We're almost Gold. The final release candidates of the Xbox versions of Battle Creek, Chillout, Damnation, Derelict Hang 'Em High, Prisoner & Rat Race have been added to the mapcycle on both Dallas & Montreal servers. In addition, the Xbox versions of Downrush, Zerohour, Decidia & Doubletake have also been added. All maps are available for auto-download upon joining the server, thanks to Btcc22, creator of the essential HAC2 mod. These final release candidates will stay up for a short period to ensure that no bugs slipped under my radar, and then they will be released publicly. For now, the only way to acquire these maps is by joining one of the Good Maps Ya Fucks servers, or if you have permission to view the #private_map_testing room in the Discord channel.

These new versions of the maps include signficant improvements and changes such as:

• All map geometry is identical to Xbox versions. Windows, roof & tree in Battle Creek. Trench lip in Hang 'Em High. Holes & invisible wall are gone from Derelict. Invisible walls are gone from Damnation. And more.
  • The hit sound beep has been irreversibly disabled for all players across all maps in the mapcycle. No more nade probing.
  • The camo is now much more effective in all maps.
  • Sound effects that can be used for sound whoring have been removed in all maps. The tags were not removed, but modified - you can still hear them in the 1st person, but you will be unable to hear other players spawn (weapon-ready sounds) or walk up clinky. I left other sounds such as OS/camo pickup, teleporter, waterfall, etc enabled because they can only be heard in the 1st person.
  • The remastered OG HUD has been applied to all maps. This includes up-scaled versions of all HUD elements, the Xbox health/shield bar & the removal of Halo PC's gametype icon. Additionally, the pistol reticle is now the correct size (nade tricks now work properly).
  • Victims of betrayals are now presented the option to kick the betrayer after 3 offences.
  • There is now a countdown timer to your dead teammates spawn that comes through in that chat - an invaluable tool that has only been available in split-screen until now.
  • And some other stuff I'm probably forgetting!
If you haven't tried Halo PC on my servers yet, or if you tried it before and you didn't like it, now is the time to give it another shot. Join the Discord group to get games going!

UPDATE 01/23/2016:

• Victims of team-killing will now be presented with the option to kick the betrayer after the third offense. Thanks to Devieth for the script!
  • A countdown to a dead teammate's spawn now appears in chat. It takes into account penalties too. Thanks 002 and Devieth for the script!
  • Still planning on release the Xbox versions of the stock maps and implementing them into my mapcycle tomorrow. May only happen tomorrow night but I will try my best to meet this deadline. A bit of work still needs to be done on optimizing the map and fixing teleporter shader positions (teleporters are too deep), as well as little bug fixes here and there.

UPDATE 01/22/2016:

So following a discussion with Btcc22 in the Discord group (get in there @@t3h m00kz ), it appears that neither the warping, rubberbanding nor the inconsistent registration are being caused by the no-lead mod, nor the Custom Lead script - these issues are inherent netcode issues.

The reason why the bad shot reg is more noticeable while using the no-lead mod is because with the no-lead mod, you can see exactly where you're shooting, whereas without the no-lead mod, players are more likely to think they didn't adjust their lead correctly and simply missed. In reality, the issue occurs at the same rate with or without the no-lead mod.

Warping and rubberbanding are also a product of netcode optimization (thanks Gearbox...). Fixing this is no easy task and is far beyond my area of expertise. If any coders want to dive into this, @@Hootspa has figured out how to decompile Halo's .exe and get the assembly code. Join the Discord group to discuss with him and some other people that may be able to help.

I cannot promise any improvements to this, because like I said I am powerless to fix it.

That being said, many of these issues are partially mitigated when all players in the server have low ping.

I will need to enforce a strict automatic ping kick on my servers. I will review the locations of current servers and try to spread them out across different regions before enforcing the ping kick. This should prevent instances of Americans, Aussies and Europeans raging at each other in the same server because of bad shot reg. A third server may be added to the pool early next week, whose location is to be determined.

Ideally, server locations would look something like:

• Montreal for East Coast players
  • California for West Coast and Australian players
  • Amsterdam for European players
The ping kick threshold will be set around 100 to start, and feedback will be monitored to determine whether this needs to be further tweaked.

Additionally, server admins will be an exception to the ping kick rule. This means that if I make you a low-level admin, and you're a masochist, you can still play against players with high ping in any region's server.

UPDATE 01/20/2016:

Alright mandatory update time, and some questions for y'all:

• The final version of the on-screen timer script is now online. Improvements/additions include: removal of new PC weapons (Flamethrower & Fuel Rod Gun) from notifications, re-named "Random" to "OS-CAMO" (ex: top powerup in Hang 'Em High) & implementation of new commands to disable/re-enable parts of the timer. These commands are: /stfu & /unstfu (this turns off the notifications and the clock, completely disabling the visual timer), and /sftu_spawn & /unstfu_spawn (turns off only notifications, leaving the elapsed time clock in the bottom right). Personally I like to just leave the elapsed time counter. Come into the server and try it out Beyond%20Smiley.png I'll post a video of it in action soon.
  • In the end, the only new map we tested tonight was Battle Creek. I ran into some weird snags while finishing it up but it's all good now. Testing didn't bring up any bugs. Tomorrow we'll be testing Longest, Rat Race & Wizard.
  • We're looking into setting up some sort of solution for team balancing and a way to get the shitters out of the server when they're taking up a spot. I'm considering giving members of the Discord group the ability to kick betrayers and totally useless players, but I don't necessarily want all bad players to be kicked unless it's to make room for someone else in particular. I'll ask around about potential solutions. Suggestions are welcome.
  • If you haven't tried the server yet, you may want to wait until Sunday, when the mapcycle will be updated with the final versions of the stock Xbox maps as well as Downrush, Zerohour, Decidia and Doubletake from the Halo 1.5 map pack. The current mapcycle has a few early builds of the stock maps mixed in with stock PC maps (without the proper weapon placements + map geometry). The shot lead mod is a blanket setting across the whole server, independent of which map is up. So is the on-screen timer.
  • Speaking of the mapcycle, upcoming updates (Sunday) will include: decreased weighting of Derelict, removal of Wizard 2v2 Nav Points + Boarding Action 2v2 Snipers, removal of the custom map hcel_corrupted (there's a bad geometry error), re-evaluation of all the map weightings upon the release of all the final Xbox versions this weekend, as well as a couple of surprises :P
  • Some people may want to know how the lead feels before jumping in. @@Mintograde described it yesterday as feeling "very close to OG offhost opposite strafe lead". Experimental tweaking will take place once these maps are out the door. I have a feeling it could still be even better.
If you like these updates, you can catch little micro-updates and details about progress in the Discord group under the new #news text channel.

UPDATE 01/18/2016:

I made a guide for people that want to set up XPadder in order to get a controller working properly. I'm linking the post with the guide because I don't want to bust the character limit for this OP (it's also very pic-heavy, you'll need to open the spoiler in the post to see the guide): http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/11775-current-state-of-halo-pc-the-xbox-experience/?p=654660

UPDATE 01/17/2016:

• Tonight we tested release candidates of the Xbox versions of Prisoner, Damnation, Chillout, Hang 'Em High & Derelict. Additionally, we tested the brand-new ports of Decidia & Doubletake from the H1.5 map pack. The tests went very smoothly and the maps should see their way into the mapcycle during the upcoming week. Better late than never.
  • Note that the inclusion of the new versions of the maps mentioned above into the map cycle is fully dependent on the completion of the other Xbox versions of the stock maps. The new versions have significant changes, like the removal of the hit sound for all players, and the buff to active camo. I plan to test the remaining maps (Battle Creek, Longest, Rat Race & Wizard) on Wednesday night. If all goes well, I will have the maps uploaded to HAC2's download servers and include them in the map cycle in both servers.
  • After positive feedback from many players in the Discord channel (https://discord.gg/0fnn37Ieq0XXPrMJ), I think we will be settling on 18 ms lead. Nothing is set in stone, and everyone's invited to try it out and complain about it in Discord.

UPDATE 01/16/2016:

A second server has been added & the OP has been updated

b_560_95_1.png

It has the same mapcycle and settings as the first, and is located in Montreal, QC, Canada. East Coast players will probably ping better to this server than the other one (Dallas, TX).

The addition of this server will help players get into games faster, as there are no other viable alternatives for 2v2 MLG Slayer on the list.

Also, a bug with the new server host has come to my attention and the max player count appears to sporadically reset to 8. A support ticket has been opened and this should be resolved soon. If you see that one of the servers is at 8, PM me from here or hit me up in Discord and I'll remotely change it back to 4. I've temporarily locked the Dallas server because the support technician wants to look into it.

UPDATE 01/14/2016:

Tweaked settings (custom_sleep & console_input) to improve shot reg consistency. Lead is back at 33 ms because lead 0 is too damn easy. Will be testing lead at 18 ms tonight as well as the above-mentioned settings.

UPDATE 01/13/2016:

Finalized the Active Camouflage fix. I think this is the best it's going to get. I'm going to be testing it tonight. Here's a (very short) video showing the difference: https://youtu.be/8bQlSx0H5DQ

UPDATE 01/12/2016:

Cleaned up the OP. Many players thought a huge configuration was required due to the length of the list of fixes. In truth, almost all the fixes are server-side. I changed the status for many fixes to reflect this. Also:

• Completed the active camo fix. No changes to the teleporter shader will be necessary. Camo opacity bug was due to the layering of the teleporter scenery geometry. This fix will be included with the xbox maps' final versions coming this week
  • Further tweaking & testing will be undertaken within the next couple of days to improve shot reg consistency. Thanks to KingNick & Mintograde for feedback in the Discord channel!
  • Work continues on the Xbox versions of the maps. Derelict is complete, Hang 'Em High is complete, and Damnation is almost ready. If you are curious as to the fixes/changes, check out http://www.halobugs.com/ and sort by map name. All map-specific bugs from this site will be fixed.

UPDATE 01/11/2016 #2:

Due to the fact that I am only hosting a 4-slot server public server, people aren't always able to join when they want to. I reached out to the dev of HAC2 and he told me about a useful console command: "play_during_queue 1" (without the quotes)

You will need to have the server already in your bookmarks list (press F4 while in the server). Join another server if mine is full, open console and enter the above command. Then press F5 to view your bookmarks while ingame, and press alt+# (the number next to the server name in the bookmarks list). You are now queued up to join the server Beyond%20Smiley.png When a slot frees up, you will automatically quit your current server to join mine.

UPDATE 01/11/2016:

I'll be hosting "release candidate" builds of the Xbox versions of the stock maps hopefully by the end of this week. New features:

• Will include all the stock maps in the server's mapcycle: Prisoner, Damnation, Rat Race, Longest, Chill Out, Hang 'Em High, Battle Creek, Derelict & Wizard
  • Hit sound will be automatically disabled and players will be unable to reactivate it. The sound tag itself is being removed from the map file. No more nade-probing, boys.
  • Will include the final version of the remastered HUD. Improvements on the current version include: re-sized pistol reticle (now slightly larger to match OG) & Xbox Health Bar (as seen at the bottom of the OP)
  • Will include the newly-developed camo fix (see below). Changes will need to be made to the new teleporter shader that can be seen in the pics below, because it doesn't play nice with the camo shader (thanks again @@Mintograde )
Camo Before: ff921f086629ed5e0d7cd842ba1ef9de.png

Camo After: 45dac867c4d6f594a3abe1351c276ce5.png

UPDATE 10/01/2016:

• Added info regarding enabling aim-assist for controller. I thought it was enabled by default, but there is a small configuration required. See "Controller Aiming" in the list below for details. 
  • Some players have reported issues joining the server. The issue was on their end - if you are planning to join via direct IP, you will need to include the port # at the end (:2500). Post here if you are still having issues. Also, full servers might not appear automatically in the list. You can change this by clicking the "Filters" button at the bottom.
  • NeX has released a new version of the timer/item spawner script! I'll post a video soon. You can try it now in the server. This new version includes better formatting for timer notifications, and it now accounts for floating items (ex: powerups in Rat Race). He's still collecting feedback, so be sure to post any issues you encounter with it. Presently there are notifications enabled for the Flamethrower and Fuel Rod Gun, even though they are disabled. I will soon remove these notifications to free up a bit of screen space.

• Upvote (+1) 2

UPDATE 01/23/2016:
  • Victims of team-killing will now be presented with the option to kick the betrayer after the third offense. Thanks to Devieth for the script!
  • A countdown to a dead teammate's spawn now appears in chat. It takes into account penalties too. Thanks 002 and Devieth for the script!
  • Still planning on release the Xbox versions of the stock maps and implementing them into my mapcycle tomorrow. May only happen tomorrow night but I will try my best to meet this deadline. A bit of work still needs to be done on optimizing the map and fixing teleporter shader positions (teleporters are too deep), as well as little bug fixes here and there.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

These are excellent fixes dude

And if someone can actually mod the netcode to not be total garbage.. holy shit

If that actually happens it needs to be a major update shared with Bungie

• Upvote (+1) 1

As for the vs OG debate... there is no comparison... if you have locals, don't even bother with this... but for those of us who don't have that luxury, this PC mod is excellent. And Farsight, it's not nearly as complicated as you think. Install Halo CE. Play the game. Seriously.

Plug in a controller if that's what you're more comfortable with, type in ~player_magnetism 1. Done. That simple. You don't need xpadder, it just makes it feel better. And even xpadder is very simple.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And if someone can actually mod the netcode to not be total garbage.. holy shit

I kinda wish the CE weapons were hitscan as well.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I kinda wish the CE weapons were hitscan as well.

I would be completely against this because a lot of the meta is built around shot lead. If the pistol were hitscan people would bunker down way too much because hitscan is too easy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would be completely against this because a lot of the meta is built around shot lead. If the pistol were hitscan people would bunker down way too much because hitscan is too easy.

The thing is that hitscan is better for online play, which is where most games are going to take place. Projectiles basically just add more fuel to the fire in terms of your ping. Hitscan isn't too easy either, you've still got to aim properly.

The thing is that hitscan is better for online play, which is where most games are going to take place. Projectiles basically just add more fuel to the fire in terms of your ping. Hitscan isn't too easy either, you've still got to aim properly.

I know hitscan is easier to implement online, but MCC did a very good job on certain patches with shot lead so it is possible It's just that 343 never finalized it into a version that was consistent. They kept patching it in and out even though it worked for a lot of people.

Have you played high level CE before? A while back 343 made shooting too easy on MCC and it completely changed the way the game was played. People who used to be dominant were not consistently performing as well because their aggressive tactics got punished way too easily. Halo CE is built for movement and aggressiveness and the easy pistol ruins that.

• Upvote (+1) 4

A while back 343 made shooting too easy on MCC and it completely changed the way the game was played. People who used to be dominant were not consistently performing as well because their aggressive tactics got punished way too easily. Halo CE is built for movement and aggressiveness and the easy pistol ruins that.

PC and console are a different kettle of fish when talking about shooting/aiming. Here I'm talking strictly about PC. It's also hard to blame something on 1 thing in MCC as the game had a ton of issues in a lot of areas. It's also not surprising that players who used to dominate were not performing as consistently, because any change to the game as they knew it is going to require them to adjust, so in the meantime they wont have as big an edge over other players that they used to. That, however, doesn't necessarily mean that the change was objectively bad.

I feel that, generally speaking, shooters that aren't focused on realism (think ARMA, Battlefield, etc) are more suited to hitscan weapons. If I pull the trigger while the reticule is over the opponent, that should simply immediately register as a hit and shouldn't be any more complicated than that. When I play a competitive shooter, I want consistency above all else and that's what hitscan brings to the table. On PC, there is no need for aim assist or magnetism and therefore it can still be very challenging to take down a distant opponent quickly with a hitscan pistol, especially a strafing one.

PC and console are a different kettle of fish when talking about shooting/aiming. Here I'm talking strictly about PC. It's also hard to blame something on 1 thing in MCC as the game had a ton of issues in a lot of areas. It's also not surprising that players who used to dominate were not performing as consistently, because any change to the game as they knew it is going to require them to adjust, so in the meantime they wont have as big an edge over other players that they used to. That, however, doesn't necessarily mean that the change was objectively bad.

I feel that, generally speaking, shooters that aren't focused on realism (think ARMA, Battlefield, etc) are more suited to hitscan weapons. If I pull the trigger while the reticule is over the opponent, that should simply immediately register as a hit and shouldn't be any more complicated than that. When I play a competitive shooter, I want consistency above all else and that's what hitscan brings to the table. On PC, there is no need for aim assist or magnetism and therefore it can still be very challenging to take down a distant opponent quickly with a hitscan pistol, especially a strafing one.

Friendly reminder that this project is about bringing the Xbox experience to PC.

Hit scan will not be implemented.

Jump delay will not be removed.

No changes that will alter the high level metagame will occur.

k? thx

• Upvote (+1) 1

It is generally a different kettle but Halo CE works on a high level due to these things. It was designed for controller play, and projectile mechanics are possible. Even if it's less consistent, it is less damaging to the meta. Transferring it to PC and changing it to hitscan without changing anything else like weapon TTK or adjusting maps and cover to accommodate dumbs down the skillgap and what makes Halo CE great instead of just good.

The period of time I was talking about was after many of the issues in MCC were fixed and theoretically the game should have played very similarly. But it was apparent during tournaments that it wasn't the same at all because of the easy pistol, and required much less intelligence and map "instinct" (where and when to push certain positions knowing you wouldn't be exposed long enough to die). It was also much harder to pull off reversals on players who sucked but got a lucky jump on an opponent. Intelligent players would know how to get out of such situations or know how to manipulate the projectile mechanics to their advantage to extend the fight, but that was impossible with hitscan pistol. It dumbed the skillgap down, and also it made most other weapons completely useless and turned the "OP pistol" myth into reality. Why bother with a high risk-reward sniper when it's way to easy to get hit with the pistol and descoped and die? Why bother with close range weapons if you couldn't get in tight quick enough before dying?

Basically everybody in the top 100 or 200 of the community agreed on this.

And uhh.. What you're saying makes no sense... it is easier to aim with a mouse, therefore it is more challenging to kill someone compared to a controller? U wot m8?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It is generally a different kettle but Halo CE works on a high level due to these things. It was designed for controller play, and projectile mechanics are possible. Even if it's less consistent, it is less damaging to the meta. Transferring it to PC and changing it to hitscan without changing anything else like weapon TTK or adjusting maps and cover to accommodate dumbs down the skillgap and what makes Halo CE great instead of just good.

The period of time I was talking about was after many of the issues in MCC were fixed and theoretically the game should have played very similarly. But it was apparent during tournaments that it wasn't the same at all because of the easy pistol, and required much less intelligence and map "instinct" (where and when to push certain positions knowing you wouldn't be exposed long enough to die). It was also much harder to pull off reversals on players who sucked but got a lucky jump on an opponent. Intelligent players would know how to get out of such situations or know how to manipulate the projectile mechanics to their advantage to extend the fight, but that was impossible with hitscan pistol. It dumbed the skillgap down, and also it made most other weapons completely useless and turned the "OP pistol" myth into reality. Why bother with a high risk-reward sniper when it's way to easy to get hit with the pistol and descoped and die? Why bother with close range weapons if you couldn't get in tight quick enough before dying?

Basically everybody in the top 100 or 200 of the community agreed on this.

And uhh.. What you're saying makes no sense... it is easier to aim with a mouse, therefore it is more challenging to kill someone compared to a controller? U wot m8?

Very truthful post with finely articulated explanations of the difference in mouse & controller aiming in high-level CE. Saved for future use.

• Upvote (+1) 1

UPDATE 01/25/2016:

Testing is over folks. We're almost Gold. The final release candidates of the Xbox versions of Battle Creek, Chillout, Damnation, Derelict Hang 'Em High, Prisoner & Rat Race have been added to the mapcycle on both Dallas & Montreal servers. In addition, the Xbox versions of Downrush, Zerohour, Decidia & Doubletake have also been added. All maps are available for auto-download upon joining the server, thanks to Btcc22, creator of the essential HAC2 mod. These final release candidates will stay up for a short period to ensure that no bugs slipped under my radar, and then they will be released publicly. For now, the only way to acquire these maps is by joining one of the Good Maps Ya Fucks servers, or if you have permission to view the #private_map_testing room in the Discord channel.

These new versions of the maps include signficant improvements and changes such as:

• All map geometry is identical to Xbox versions. Windows, roof & tree in Battle Creek. Trench lip in Hang 'Em High. Holes & invisible wall are gone from Derelict. Invisible walls are gone from Damnation. And more.
  • The hit sound beep has been irreversibly disabled for all players across all maps in the mapcycle. No more nade probing.
  • The camo is now much more effective in all maps.
  • Sound effects that can be used for sound whoring have been removed in all maps. The tags were not removed, but modified - you can still hear them in the 1st person, but you will be unable to hear other players spawn (weapon-ready sounds) or walk up clinky. I left other sounds such as OS/camo pickup, teleporter, waterfall, etc enabled because they can only be heard in the 1st person.
  • The remastered OG HUD has been applied to all maps. This includes up-scaled versions of all HUD elements, the Xbox health/shield bar & the removal of Halo PC's gametype icon. Additionally, the pistol reticle is now the correct size (nade tricks now work properly).
  • Victims of betrayals are now presented the option to kick the betrayer after 3 offences.
  • There is now a countdown timer to your dead teammates spawn that comes through in that chat - an invaluable tool that has only been available in split-screen until now.
  • And some other stuff I'm probably forgetting!
If you haven't tried Halo PC on my servers yet, or if you tried it before and you didn't like it, now is the time to give it another shot. Join the Discord group to get games going!
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I know hitscan is easier to implement online, but MCC did a very good job on certain patches with shot lead so it is possible It's just that 343 never finalized it into a version that was consistent. They kept patching it in and out even though it worked for a lot of people.

Have you played high level CE before? A while back 343 made shooting too easy on MCC and it completely changed the way the game was played. People who used to be dominant were not consistently performing as well because their aggressive tactics got punished way too easily. Halo CE is built for movement and aggressiveness and the easy pistol ruins that.

There was an issue with magnetism adhesion being much stronger on clients, and said adhesion getting stronger with more latency. I'm uncertain if that's been addressed, but it does create a really bad discrepancy for any competitive play. There's also some really weird things that happen with how server-authoritative projectiles are affected by auto-aim.

Excluding the obvious problems with item timing and non-OG maps, I would argue MCC's networking is worlds better than anything else Halo 1 has had historically. It's not perfect, no netcode is. There will ALWAYS be lag, but MCC's netcode is reliable and fluid. ... relatively speaking.

OG Xbox was designed for LANS, so there was little latency to worry about in that scenario. Over things like Xlink Kai with pings in the hundreds, you'd get awful input lag (aside from the player's look, strangely enough). This is a "deterministic" netcode, meaning all of the clients need to be in sync with one another before the next tick happens. This means everything you see is "the truth," but you literally FEEL every bit of lag. Hosts have a huge advantage in this scenario. You can't "point and aim" and expect your shot to go where you expect unless you compensate for the lag. I could never get used to OG Xbox networking, and I have mad respect for those who have and have mastered it.

Halo 1 PC's netcode on launch was (and still is to some degree) absolute garbage. Discrepancies everywhere, leading shots ten feet ahead of players to compensate for ping, awful physics sync, broken descope, just gross BS everywhere. There have been improvements, but it's still far from perfect. This is Halo PC at launch (oh how far we've come)

MCC on the other hand, while yes, the magnetism adhesion was busted for clients last time I checked, is the most polished netcode I've seen for H1. Physics are mostly fixed. Descope is fixed. 30/60FPS discrepancies are fixed. Rockets and slow projectiles are client-authoritative so you see the truth. The pistol/sniper shot registration is beautiful. You see a shot hit? It does damage, regardless of ping, regardless of latency, regardless of any other factor. That's because if your client says you've done damage, that damage is done, regardless of anything.

The reason this shot registration would never fly in Halo 1 PC is because it would be way too easy to cheat. All somebody would need to do is change their pistol values. full-auto with 100% accuracy and an insane firing rate and every shot they see hit would do damage.

A perfect netcode does not exist. The best you can hope for is to eliminate as many discrepancies between players as possible. In a perfect netcode, everybody "FEELS" like the host, and when there's latency, this is simply not a possibility. Even CS:GO fails at this in areas.

Unfortunately with the nature of H1 PC's netcode as it is now with lag fixes, that won't fix anything related to shot registration. Shot discrepancies will remain as they are now. All you're doing is bumping up the projectile speed to make it hit anywhere on the map on the first frame.

And as StuntMan said, this isn't how OG Xbox worked. The last thing you want to do is mess with the core functionality of the weapons, when the problems lie within the netcode.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Excluding the obvious problems with item timing and non-OG maps, I would argue MCC's networking is worlds better than anything else Halo 1 has had historically. It's not perfect, no netcode is. There will ALWAYS be lag, but MCC's netcode is reliable and fluid. ... relatively speaking.

(...)

MCC on the other hand, while yes, the magnetism adhesion was busted for clients last time I checked, is the most polished netcode I've seen for H1. Physics are mostly fixed. Descope is fixed. 30/60FPS discrepancies are fixed. Rockets and slow projectiles are client-authoritative so you see the truth. The pistol/sniper shot registration is beautiful. You see a shot hit? It does damage, regardless of ping, regardless of latency, regardless of any other factor. That's because if your client says you've done damage, that damage is done, regardless of anything.

This was my initial impression of MCC CE. I was overjoyed that the physics and update rates were fixed, and that the lead was similar to SAPP's no-lead mod. I thought I'd never need to touch the aging PC version again.

But the more you play, the more you realize that the shot reg in MCC is in fact less consistent across matches than the PC version. Keep in mind I'm talking strictly about the no-lead mod + 002's custom lead script. Can't argue that the shot reg without any mods is complete garbage on PC. When set to 18ms, the lead seems to stay consistent, regardless of who you're shooting at (within reason - see one of the later updates I posted regarding high pings and region-locking my servers). The amount you have to lead in MCC seems to change on a per-player and per-match basis. Players with bad connections (ex: wifi, hotspots, etc) have a huge advantage (as reported by many players on this board), even more so than Halo PC. Coupled with the broken bullet magnetism (it hasn't been fixed), the shot registration in the MCC is nowhere near as glamorous as you're making it out to be.

And that's without bringing disappearing nades and rockets into the equation. That stuff also happens much, much less on Halo PC even without mods.

Sure, there are some things that the MCC undeniably does better - handling of physics, rubberbanding and update rate are great. But from my experience and from the feedback I've heard in the Discord group, the shot registration on my servers is much more in-line with off-host LAN than MCC CE, at least when all players are in roughly the same region. It may also be the case in MCC when all players have equally good ping times and are connected to the same dedicated server - but unfortunately there is no way to guarantee that since matchmaking appears to match players from all over the place and custom games are peer-to-peer (with host advantage).

If you haven't tried it out, come onto the server tonight and play a bit. I haven't come across any servers on the list with similar settings in regards to shot reg. Other server settings have been tweaked that are said to improve reg according to SAPP's documentation. Another thing that has reportedly helped reg for some players is locking the FPS to 30, which I suspect has something to do with what you're saying about 30/60 FPS discrepancies and tick-rate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Friendly reminder that this project is about bringing the Xbox experience to PC.

Of course, only reason I brought up hitscan is because it may have been a way to indirectly improve online play which is pretty much the most pressing issue this project faces.

Because there's no aim assist and less magnetism with a mouse and it's also easier/faster to strafe and crouch with a keyboard.

Of course, only reason I brought up hitscan is because it may have been a way to indirectly improve online play which is pretty much the most pressing issue this project faces.

Because there's no aim assist and less magnetism with a mouse and it's also easier/faster to strafe and crouch with a keyboard.

Changing the core mechanics of the weapon probably isn't the best way to improve online play and maintain fidelity. I'm much more interested in the suggested changes that were made to projectile speeds in the PC port. I haven't confirmed yet whether or not such changes were made, but it's something I plan to look into this week. I'll post findings here. If projectile speeds are different, maybe they can be reset to their original values and the difference can be mitigated with server settings. The logic is that if projectile speeds were altered to accommodate to the "optimized" original PC netcode, those changes may no longer be necessary due to the no-lead mod + custom lead script being used, which allow for better control over shot lead distance than what was possible with the vanilla PC server settings.

Further to my post above, these possible changes would only improve the already stable shot registration between players with good ping times to the server. They are definitely worth looking into and I fully plan to exhaust all options before setting on any given settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm much more interested in the suggested changes that were made to projectile speeds in the PC port. I haven't confirmed yet whether or not such changes were made, but it's something I plan to look into this week. I'll post findings here. If projectile speeds are different, maybe they can be reset to their original values and the difference can be mitigated with server settings.

Sounds good, but you'd never make the velocity slower would you? That would be hell.

PS: I'm dying for Imminent to be released XD