stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

UPDATE: I'd have to say the magnetism thing works for me. It does stick on people a little bit, just not sure if it's as strong as Xbox. Not sure if there's server issues with people with 200 pings making it weaker but yeah.

Xpadder sitll doesn't work. I open xpadder, open my profile for the controller, open the other profile with my settings. Open Halo. Change the movement to blank for the gamepad and make sure keyboard controls are WASD. Join server and I am unable to move. When I put controls back on in the game to gamepad, I can move again, and as expected the xpadder settings are definitely NOT in play when I do that.

See, stuff like these control problems is why I'm worried about wide adoption. Unless the game is (for the most part, at least) plug-and-play, it will only see the usual hardcore suspects and no one else.

Do you still play Halo CE?

If so, which version?

UPDATE: I'd have to say the magnetism thing works for me. It does stick on people a little bit, just not sure if it's as strong as Xbox. Not sure if there's server issues with people with 200 pings making it weaker but yeah.

Xpadder sitll doesn't work. I open xpadder, open my profile for the controller, open the other profile with my settings. Open Halo. Change the movement to blank for the gamepad and make sure keyboard controls are WASD. Join server and I am unable to move. When I put controls back on in the game to gamepad, I can move again, and as expected the xpadder settings are definitely NOT in play when I do that.

Join the Discord I'll help you

I think it might be because I put it in the x86 program files folder and someone said you're not supposed to. Maybe I didn't pay full attention during install. I'll join the chat.

EDIT: Nope that wasn't it. Argh

FINALLY. I ran it in compatibility mode for Vista, and it works! But then stuntman had me turn that mode off, and it still works. What a headscratcher.

What I can say though positively is that it is WELL WORTH IT. The movement feels ten times less awkward.

• Upvote (+1) 1

UPDATE 01/18/2016:

I made a guide for people that want to set up XPadder in order to get a controller working properly. Open the spoiler to reveal it - it's very pic-heavy.

1. XPadder is a thinapp - there is no installer for it. Simply move XPadder.exe out of your Downloads folder and into a new folder, which will act as its root directory.

2. Launch XPadder.exe AS ADMINISTRATOR (right-click > Run as Administrator). This is only required during the setup phase. Once everything is working and the profile is saved, you can run it normally. Once it's open, click on the Start button on the first screen.

2.jpg

3. Click Start on the next screen

3.jpg

4. Click Start on the next screen

4.jpg

5. Choose your language and click Start

5.jpg

6. Take note of XPadder's root directory and click Start

6.jpg

7. Click Program Location to set the save directory for XPadder profiles to the same directory that XPadder.exe is located in

7.jpg

8. Click Associate to tell Windows to use XPadder when opening XPadder profiles

8.jpg

9. Click the little controller button on the left side and select New…

9.jpg

10. Follow this link and download a controller image for your controller, in .bmp format:

http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewforum.php?f=144&sid=c763d41490466ff68d0b6a5e485937ff

10.jpg

11. In Xpadder, click Open… and select the image you just downloaded

11.jpg

12. Select Sticks on the left and check the Enabled box

12.jpg

13. Follow the on-screen instructions and ensure that Xpadder is picking up your controller's input.

13.jpg

14. Since only the left stick needs to be set up for this fix, you can now proceed to set up the D-Pad in the same fashion

14.jpg

15. Now click on Buttons on the left side and press the Start button on your controller. This step is necessary if you want to map the Start button to Pause, but is otherwise optional

15.jpg

16. Now, click OK to return to the main screen. You will need to save the controller settings before you can map the controls for the profile

16.jpg

17. The stick/D-Pad/button that you mapped may appear out of place. In order to fix this, click on the settings button on the left and re-located everything in the Controller Settings window. Click OK when everything is correctly positioned

17.jpg

18. Before continuing, test the stick/D-Pad/button that you set up. The corresponding icon should light up

18.jpg

19. Now, map the stick to WASD. To do so, click on the squares that correspond to the directions (up, down, left, right) and assign W, A, S, D accordingly

19.jpg

20. Map the D-Pad to the arrow keys (for menu navigation)

20.jpg

21. Map the Start button to Esc

21.jpg

22. Now it's time to set up the left stick. Click on the small wrench and select Settings

22.jpg

23. These are the settings that I use, but feel free to suggest better ones if you find some

23.jpg

24. Click OK when you're done, and click the save icon on the top right to save the profile.

24.jpg

25. Launch the game. In the main menu, click Settings and then Gamepads. Ensure that your controller is listed under Device in Profile

25.jpg

26. Click OK and then go into Controls Setup. At the top of the screen, click the left/right arrow to change the Device to you controller. Map the buttons as follows in order to match MCC'S The Duke controller setting. (NOTE: I player inverted so keep that in mind while mapping Look controls - axes may need to be swapped)

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

27. Click the Advanced button at the bottom of the page if you want to adjust look sensitivity. Click OK all the way back to the main menu in order to properly save your settings

That's it! Probably more steps and pics than necessary, but wtv.

• Upvote (+1) 4

UPDATE 01/20/2016:

Alright mandatory update time, and some questions for y'all:

• The final version of the on-screen timer script is now online. Improvements/additions include: removal of new PC weapons (Flamethrower & Fuel Rod Gun) from notifications, re-named "Random" to "OS-CAMO" (ex: top powerup in Hang 'Em High) & implementation of new commands to disable/re-enable parts of the timer. These commands are: /stfu & /unstfu (this turns off the notifications and the clock, completely disabling the visual timer), and /sftu_spawn & /unstfu_spawn (turns off only notifications, leaving the elapsed time clock in the bottom right). Personally I like to just leave the elapsed time counter. Come into the server and try it out :) I'll post a video of it in action soon.
  • In the end, the only new map we tested tonight was Battle Creek. I ran into some weird snags while finishing it up but it's all good now. Testing didn't bring up any bugs. Tomorrow we'll be testing Longest, Rat Race & Wizard.
  • We're looking into setting up some sort of solution for team balancing and a way to get the shitters out of the server when they're taking up a spot. I'm considering giving members of the Discord group the ability to kick betrayers and totally useless players, but I don't necessarily want all bad players to be kicked unless it's to make room for someone else in particular. I'll ask around about potential solutions. Suggestions are welcome.
  • If you haven't tried the server yet, you may want to wait until Sunday, when the mapcycle will be updated with the final versions of the stock Xbox maps as well as Downrush, Zerohour, Decidia and Doubletake from the Halo 1.5 map pack. The current mapcycle has a few early builds of the stock maps mixed in with stock PC maps (without the proper weapon placements + map geometry). The shot lead mod is a blanket setting across the whole server, independent of which map is up. So is the on-screen timer.
  • Speaking of the mapcycle, upcoming updates (Sunday) will include: decreased weighting of Derelict, removal of Wizard 2v2 Nav Points + Boarding Action 2v2 Snipers, removal of the custom map hcel_corrupted (there's a bad geometry error), re-evaluation of all the map weightings upon the release of all the final Xbox versions this weekend, as well as a couple of surprises :P
  • Some people may want to know how the lead feels before jumping in. @@Mintograde described it yesterday as feeling "very close to OG offhost opposite strafe lead". Experimental tweaking will take place once these maps are out the door. I have a feeling it could still be even better.
If you like these updates, you can catch little micro-updates and details about progress in the Discord group under the new #news text channel.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Do you still play Halo CE?

If so, which version?

I feel that the original is the only one worth playing. I haven't played it in ages because I got burned out on the campaign (I know that it has replay value in tricking/speedrunning, but I've always just been a basic gamer), and there's nobody in my area to play multiplayer with.

I crave real Halo 1 online. Like many, I bought an Xbone as soon as MCC was revealed...said machine is now a glorified Blu-ray player.

Don't ask about XBC. I tried it once, and the input lag was beyond pathetic.

I feel that the original is the only one worth playing. I haven't played it in ages because I got burned out on the campaign (I know that it has replay value in tricking/speedrunning, but I've always just been a basic gamer), and there's nobody in my area to play multiplayer with.

I crave real Halo 1 online. Like many, I bought an Xbone as soon as MCC was revealed...said machine is now a glorified Blu-ray player.

Don't ask about XBC. I tried it once, and the input lag was beyond pathetic.

Well that's what I'm saying. If you aren't playing OG, and you aren't playing MCC... Then you're just not playing CE at all?

I don't understand - I've always found a way to get games. For awhile it was on MCC,and now it just so happens that I'm having the most fun with the PC version with all the recent fixes and additions. I can get games every night with people in the Discord group and I can play maps that otherwise aren't available without modding an OG box.

I'm sure you'd have a lot more fun joining us than nay-saying on a Halo board when you don't even play Halo anymore. Join the group homes I'll help you if you run into any issues or have questions about the setup.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel that the original is the only one worth playing.

This is very untrue, especially now that Stuntman is a thing. The PC version is actually overall better imo once you get into it. Lanning the original is still amazing of course, but realistically that isn't even an option for the vast majority of would-be players. Remember too that lanning Custom Edition is a real possibility that many more people have the capability of doing since pretty much every gamer will own a PC.

Custom Edition is now the only practical way to relive (and enhance) the original. It's free and immediately available so there's virtually zero reason not to give it a whirl if you're interested in H1.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The PC version is actually overall better imo once you get into it.

While you are entitled to your opinion, here's why you'll find that very few people here share it.

Halo PC (Custom Edition), with the fixes outlined in the OP, is indeed a great way to play CE online.

But if you can't understand why OG LAN will always remain as the proving grounds for the highest level, it's because either:

1) You haven't played it enough, or

2) You don't play at a level where the original LAN netcode really shines.

I started with the console version in 2001, but switched to PC when it came out, for its online capabilities. I never played at a very high level, and it's only with the launch of MCC that I bothered to learn about the high-level metagame and, in turn, the OG LAN scene. I've had lengthy discussions with some high-level players and the fact of the matter is that when you reach a certain level of skill and knowledge, the skill gap between players is much less apparent. Games are generally very close. This makes unpredictable netcode-related issues like warping, rubberbanding or bad shot registration all the more significant and game-breaking, as Halo CE's high-level metagame is almost exclusively based around the manipulation of predictable elements.

The reason that I don't expect to convince many OG players to make the switch is completely due to this discrepancy in network performance. So why am I even bothering? Read on.

Lanning the original is still amazing of course, but realistically that isn't even an option for the vast majority of would-be players. Remember too that lanning Custom Edition is a real possibility that many more people have the capability of doing since pretty much every gamer will own a PC.

This project is in no way meant to replace OG LAN, nor is it meant to steal players away from that scene. It's simply meant as an accessible alternative for people who don't have a group to LAN with, and are fed up with MCC's lack of support and improvements.

Before the improvements outlined in this project became a reality, it was literally impossible to play the game on the same level as on the original Xbox. Yes - I said it. The best Xbox players will beat the best PC players, regardless of control scheme. Yes, even controllers vs. keyboard/mouse.

I know you're thinking it: "But that's impossible, stunt_man, you've truly lost it!"

Negative.

Halo PC's high-level metagame did not build off of the Xbox high-level metagame at all. They evolved exclusively from each other. If you look at the huge range of game-breaking issues like: massive latency-dependent shot lead, weapon/equipment timing being almost completely broken, incorrect number of starting nades, the fact that empty weapons didn't despawn, all the way down to the differences in map geometry - the list goes on, and it's no surprise that the two player bases developed their own gametypes and high-level strategies.

Where Xbox players have always focused on predicting player spawns, and setting up for map control and ambushes when weapons/powerups were coming up, and using split-screen to improve teamwork and coordination, the high-level PC players' metagame revolves mostly around reducing TTK and nailing precise shots, which is respectable and no easy feat given the netcode-induced shot lead. 2v2's aren't nearly as popular on PC, and the spawn system therefore doesn't get as much attention. Since the weapons/powerups don't spawn on time, everything comes up at different times, completely breaking map flow and control.

This may all be besides the point, and I admit I may have gone off on a tangent there. But what I'm trying to say is that there are reasons beyond mere nostalgia why OG LAN players will always play OG LAN. It offers the cleanest most stable gameplay out of all versions of the game, allowing for clean matches at the highest level.

Now, that being said, this IS true:

It's free and immediately available so there's virtually zero reason not to give it a whirl if you're interested in H1.

Everyone that has a lasting bad impression about Halo PC needs to come by and check out how the game plays in my server.

But don't spread misinformation about Halo PC/Custom Edition inherently being better than OG, or even MCC for that matter. Outside of my servers, the game is still a bloody mess. And I'm not even being cocky. I'm not disillusioned and I know what I'm talking about. I'll say it again:

Halo PC/Custom Edition without my server-side fixes is shit, inferior even to MCC.

That's how significant the fixes within the scope of my project are. Don't say otherwise unless you understand the impact the fixes make on the high-level metagame.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is very untrue, especially now that Stuntman is a thing. The PC version is actually overall better imo once you get into it. Lanning the original is still amazing of course, but realistically that isn't even an option for the vast majority of would-be players. Remember too that lanning Custom Edition is a real possibility that many more people have the capability of doing since pretty much every gamer will own a PC.

Custom Edition is now the only practical way to relive (and enhance) the original. It's free and immediately available so there's virtually zero reason not to give it a whirl if you're interested in H1.

No doubt the project that Stuntman is working on for our community is great but unfortunately there is currently only one server with those settings. Halo Custom edition might be more convenient for people to download and play when compared to the OG but the problem is that I don't think that we will ever see Stuntman's server settings being accepted as the universal standard that people should be playing on Halo PC.

Halo Custom edition(Stuntman's server) and the MCC are definitely decent alternatives for people that are looking to get their Halo 1 fix but I don't think that they will ever be able to replace the OG Halo 1 as the main game that H1 players use to lan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No doubt the project that Stuntman is working on for our community is great but unfortunately there is currently only one server with those settings. Halo Custom edition might be more convenient for people to download and play when compared to the OG but the problem is that I don't think that we will ever see Stuntman's server settings being accepted as the universal standard that people should be playing on Halo PC.

Halo Custom edition(Stuntman's server) and the MCC are definitely decent alternatives for people that are looking to get their Halo 1 fix but I don't think that they will ever be able to replace the OG Halo 1 as the main game that H1 players use to lan.

(it's stunt_man not Stuntman)

lol anyway so there are actually two servers, not one (check the OP). And hopefully many more will come with the help of @@Hootspa. Even without his help, I will be hosting at least one more server, possibly a 4v4 one but I haven't decided yet. Waiting for the project to be 100% finished before expanding.

• Upvote (+1) 2

lol anyway so there are actually two servers, not one (check the OP). And hopefully many more will come with the help of @@Hootspa. Even without his help, I will be hosting at least one more server, possibly a 4v4 one but I haven't decided yet. Waiting for the project to be 100% finished before expanding.

Oh my bad I didn't realize that there were two servers, I thought that there was only one. Sorry for spreading misinformation. Anyways I'm going to be getting a new PC soon so I'm looking forward to trying this out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think a 4v4 would be best. I understand the idea is to emulate the pinnacle of the Xbox meta, but Halo PC sort of has the same problem Halo 5 had/has; you're either sweating, or you're playing some uber casual gametype, with no in-between. 4v4 is a good training ground for players to learn the game at a non-"FFA Rocket Blood Gulch" level without getting destroyed and feel like they're bringing down a more competent teammate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think a 4v4 would be best. I understand the idea is to emulate the pinnacle of the Xbox meta, but Halo PC sort of has the same problem Halo 5 had/has; you're either sweating, or you're playing some uber casual gametype, with no in-between. 4v4 is a good training ground for players to learn the game at a non-"FFA Rocket Blood Gulch" level without getting destroyed and feel like they're bringing down a more competent teammate.

I am definitely considering it.

I know this sounds real rich judging from my position on some of 343's decisions in regards to playlists and stuff in MCC, but we're dealing with a very small playerbase right now and I don't want to split it up just yet.

When the time is right, the 4v4 server will be added with proper mapcycle and gametypes tailored for 8 players. But all this requires research as to which gametypes work best in 4v4. I've seen some suggestions, even in this very thread (I think it was in here, anyway), but not enough to merit a whole server and mapcycle. Keep em coming. If a list can be compiled that folks here are more-or-less content with, it'll save me a lot of time.

Stay tuned!

I used to be enthusiastic about using mods and emulation to play otherwise offline games online, but I eventually found out that the stress level wasn't worth it.

Downloading stuff, applying mods, setting up third-party controller drivers, finding a good server, fiddling with settings 'til the cows come home, dealing with crashes...and the experiences never felt as good as original hardware offline.

Call me lazy, call me casual, but I like it when you just turn something on...and it works!

As picky as they may seem, I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in my preferences...

So is there some type of server where I could just idle to find a match like irc or ts3? Not really a fan of xfire

So is there some type of server where I could just idle to find a match like irc or ts3? Not really a fan of xfire

Join our Discord group. Just click the link in my sig.

I thought I shilled it enough, I guess not lol. We get games going every night in there. Supports voice chat and multiple text channels so I can control who gets access to test maps, as well as post blog-like updates on progress, as well as a general chat that everyone has access to. Good discussion takes place in there.

PS: I recommend getting the Discord desktop app, the web browser is limited.

I used to be enthusiastic about using mods and emulation to play otherwise offline games online, but I eventually found out that the stress level wasn't worth it.

Downloading stuff, applying mods, setting up third-party controller drivers, finding a good server, fiddling with settings 'til the cows come home, dealing with crashes...and the experiences never felt as good as original hardware offline.

Call me lazy, call me casual, but I like it when you just turn something on...and it works!

As picky as they may seem, I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in my preferences...

Yeah I know what you mean, and trust me I wish it was that way as well.

But I've tried to quit CE and I can't. Too bad it's so hard to get OG games unless you know locals. There's pretty much no hope of getting good at OG outside of travelling around the US to LAN with people.

Sound radius is too far. I hear things I definitely should not hear from across the map on big maps like zero hour.

Also I think you should take the halo final route, mute players guns off spawns. Hearing people spawn is stupid. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Descope is also broken on PC.

Since the projectile error (spread) system in Halo 1 is RNG, this means descope during fights is somewhat random. It's pretty annoying.

Honestly, I think it needs to pick up a bit more traction.

I think it'd be a good move to increase the max players in the servers. It would reduce the competitive viability, but it would get more player's eyes on the project.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sound radius is too far. I hear things I definitely should not hear from across the map on big maps like zero hour.

Also I think you should take the halo final route, mute players guns off spawns. Hearing people spawn is stupid.

Sound radius in most cases is map-specific. Maps are supposed to be divided into clusters, which trap sounds in certain areas. Some custom maps aren't properly broken up, so the entire map is one big cluster. A good example of this are the waterfalls in Dammy. You can only hear them if you're in the cluster where the sound scenery is located (and possible the adjacent ones?). I'm not 100% sure if this is the case for sounds emitted by the player, though.

Question: In H1Final is the weapon-change sound completely disabled? Or can players still be heard switching weapons after they've spawned? Off the top of my head I'm not sure how to go about disabling the weapon switch sound ONLY on spawn, but I can look into it.

Descope is also broken on PC.

Since the projectile error (spread) system in Halo 1 is RNG, this means descope during fights is somewhat random. It's pretty annoying.

Hi m00kz. I was not aware of this discrepancy. This seems netcode-related, though, and it therefore lies outside of my area of expertise. I would greatly appreciate others's input on this issue.

Honestly, I think it needs to pick up a bit more traction.

I think it'd be a good move to increase the max players in the servers. It would reduce the competitive viability, but it would get more player's eyes on the project.

I agree that the project needs more traction. My reasoning for it being limited at the moment is that it's still in development and I don't want people to come try it only to drop it. The current mapcycle is a mix of old builds of Xbox versions and vanilla maps.

That being said, the first releases of the Xbox versions of the maps will come this weekend. I need to release them all at once, because there are significant changes such as the disablement of the hit sound for all players (sound removed from map file) and a major buff to camo. I need the experience to be consistent across the mapcycle. The updated mapcycle with these versions of the maps will be more representative of where this project is going, and following the release I WILL add a 3rd server in order to gain exposure.

Judging from feedback, I agree that it would be wise to make it 4v4.

I still need a solid mapcycle, though, and it takes research. I need map-gametype combinations based on what's played on the Xbox for 4v4. There are good suggestions in this thread, but I need more.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think there's much of an option if you don't want to mess with networking. A fix would need to be client-side I believe, which is rough and would be pretty much impossible to push out to every player.

I could have sworn there was a "Does not unzoom when damaged" flag in the .weapon tags, but I'm not seeing it. I would have suggested ticking that for each and every weapon. The result would be no descoping ever rather than randomly descoping. It would be kind of gross and not 1 to 1 with Xbox, but at least it would be consistent.

My reasoning for it being limited at the moment is that it's still in development and I don't want people to come try it only to drop it.

Fair enough. Makes sense to develop with limited access then push out final on a larger scale. Do what you gotta do, bro

I don't think there's much of an option if you don't want to mess with networking. A fix would need to be client-side I believe, which is rough and pretty much impossible to push out to every player.

I could have sworn there was a "Does not unzoom when damaged" flag in the .weapon tags, but I'm not seeing it. I would have suggested ticking that for each and every weapon. The result would be no descoping ever rather than randomly descoping. It would be kind of gross and not 1 to 1 with Xbox, but at least it would be consistent.

I won't consider disabling descoping completely. A couple questions: are you sure this also occurs with projectiles? At the same frequency as with nades?

I'm wondering, because there does appear to be disagreements between the client and server rather frequently, even in terms of pistol battles. @@KingNick and I played with an Australian and a European last night and we would switch teams every few games. He is much better at noticing and articulating problems with shot reg than I am, since his shot is much stronger, and he said that while he didn't have problems landing shots on me (we both ping about 24 ms to the server), he could hardly land shots on the Australian, who was pinging about 220 ms.

The amount of shot lead appears to be consistent across all players in a match, but the consistency of the registration seems to differ. I believe that there are many more disagreements between server/client when a player with low ping is fighting a player with high ping.

If the problem occurs more often when a low-ping player is fighting against a high-ping player, I'm going to have to consider region-locking servers to some extent (by enforcing a strict ping kick). I won't proceed with this solution unless I can host servers across multiple regions, though, because I still want people to be able to get into games.

• Upvote (+1) 1