stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

do you know how to make you spawn with 4 grenades? or 4 grenades with 5+ people?

Yes it's fixed via server script. Do you want the details for your own server? Or are you just wondering whether that's been fixed? I'll add it to the OP, it slipped my mind because I figured that out a longgggg time ago.

EDIT: Seems like it didn't slip my mind, it's in the OP under Gameplay Fixes.

The way it works is through a simple SAPP event: event_spawn playercount<5 'nades $n 4 1 0'

You can tell them I thank them to the fucking moon and back... This is awesome for PC

Why haven't you joined the Discord channel yet fam?

So I was just playing around on the server and noticed grenade jumping was jarring, like i turn colombian. Is it an issue with client side vs server side. i know that on pc melees and jumping is displayed as happening on your screen before it actually happens. Can that be changed so it doesnt happen on your screen until it happens on the server?

So I was just playing around on the server and noticed grenade jumping was jarring, like i turn colombian. Is it an issue with client side vs server side. i know that on pc melees and jumping is displayed as happening on your screen before it actually happens. Can that be changed so it doesnt happen on your screen until it happens on the server?

What you're referring to is leading - in Halo PC, there isn't just shot-lead, but melee-lead, nade-lead, etc. You HAD to lead everything you did, because that's just the way the netcode was. With the introduction of the no-lead mod (which the mod on my server is derived from), all of the above types of leading were significantly reduced. Melee's should happen at more or less the same time on the client & server.

The colombian nade jumps seem to be a product of warping. I've asked on a few message boards if people had any ideas and haven't gotten back any significant answers. There is a command that can make the warping "update" faster, but it seems to get real weird at high pings (desync, "sticking" instead of rubberbanding, etc). I have adjusted it to what seems to be an optimal value, but it clearly isn't helping the warping very much.

Something to keep in mind: when you nade jump, the server still tracks your trajectory properly. The disagreement seems to lie with the client. This means that if you nade jump like usual, you will land at the very spot that you expect to land. Yourself and other players will see you warp, but the trajectory is unaltered. The same concept applies to when you see another player warp - you can still land shots on him if you shoot along his predicted trajectory, because the server is keeping track.

I really would love to see improvements to this. As of now, it's the last major issue with the netcode.

Apart from warping, how was your time on the server?

UPDATE 01/14/2016:

Tweaked settings (custom_sleep & console_input) to improve shot reg consistency. Lead is back at 33 ms because lead 0 is too damn easy. Will be testing lead at 18 ms tonight as well as the above-mentioned settings.

Updated OP.

So where are all these fixes in place? Is like a certain server?

Yes in my server. Read the beginning of the OP (or just look in my signature) for the server info. When everything is finalized I will post download links to all the config files.

Something to keep in mind: when you nade jump, the server still tracks your trajectory properly. The disagreement seems to lie with the client. This means that if you nade jump like usual, you will land at the very spot that you expect to land. Yourself and other players will see you warp, but the trajectory is unaltered. The same concept applies to when you see another player warp - you can still land shots on him if you shoot along his predicted trajectory, because the server is keeping track.

Apart from warping, how was your time on the server?

This is pretty much what happens. If I close my eyes and open them after I do the nade jump, seems like nothing goes wrong. But my screen shows for a split second that I didn't make the jump then I get warped, and if I'm holding forward, the warp is more significant. 

I didn't play anyone on the server so can't say. The timer on the side is good

The timer on the side is good

Yeah it'll soon be better and players will have the option to disable the notifications and just keep the counter on the bottom right. Also need to remove the Flamethrower and Fuel Rod Gun counters, since my gametypes don't use those weapons.

UPDATE 01/16/2016:

A second server has been added & the OP has been updated

b_560_95_1.png

It has the same mapcycle and settings as the first, and is located in Montreal, QC, Canada. East Coast players will probably ping better to this server than the other one (Dallas, TX).

The addition of this server will help players get into games faster, as there are no other viable alternatives for 2v2 MLG Slayer on the list.

Also, a bug with the new server host has come to my attention and the max player count appears to sporadically reset to 8. A support ticket has been opened and this should be resolved soon. If you see that one of the servers is at 8, PM me from here or hit me up in Discord and I'll remotely change it back to 4. I've temporarily locked the Dallas server because the support technician wants to look into it.

This is really cool and I'm gonna try it... question... I thought you needed Halo PC in order to run Custom Edition? Am I wrong? Can I just get the free Custom Edition and play?

You don't need Halo PC, since Custom Edition is a separate edition of the game with mod support released officially by Gearbox. And it doesn't even require a original Halo PC disk in the tray. But it does require a CD key. The most legitimate way of getting hold of such a key is, of course, to buy Halo PC. But there are also other ways..

• Upvote (+1) 1

UPDATE 01/17/2016:
  • Tonight we tested release candidates of the Xbox versions of Prisoner, Damnation, Chillout, Hang 'Em High & Derelict. Additionally, we tested the brand-new ports of Decidia & Doubletake from the H1.5 map pack. The tests went very smoothly and the maps should see their way into the mapcycle during the upcoming week. Better late than never.
  • Note that the inclusion of the new versions of the maps mentioned above into the map cycle is fully dependent on the completion of the other Xbox versions of the stock maps. The new versions have significant changes, like the removal of the hit sound for all players, and the buff to active camo. I plan to test the remaining maps (Battle Creek, Longest, Rat Race & Wizard) on Wednesday night. If all goes well, I will have the maps uploaded to HAC2's download servers and include them in the map cycle in both servers.
  • After positive feedback from many players in the Discord channel (https://discord.gg/0fnn37Ieq0XXPrMJ), I think we will be settling on 18 ms lead. Nothing is set in stone, and everyone's invited to try it out and complain about it in Discord.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Guys, can someone help with xpadder?

EDIT: I'm using an Xbox One controller, not sure if it makes a difference. Thought I'd mention it though. It is supported by Windows and Xpadder.

I put WASD and left the movement blank in Halo PC settings. But the stick does not work. It only works when I assign the axis in Halo PC. Do I need to save the profile in a certain spot? I'm at a loss. Or am I supposed to assign the look direction as blank too??

Also, the diagonals appear to suck ass in Halo PC. Does xpadder fix this? It looks like it has settings to. It appears as though the default only has 8 directions, so if you slightly turn the stick above the full left, you are doing a full diagonal up/left instead of mostly left. It screws my movement up completely.

Lastly, are we sure the magnetism setting actually works? I tried strafing by people without turning my right stick and it didn't appear to stick to them very much, if at all.

Thanks guys, gonna try to complete setup before the DemDebate at 9 (go Bernie)

fuck right, go Bernie, dude killed it.

On topic, I'm glad attention is being given to this game, and I've been having a lot of fun playing it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

EDIT: I'm using an Xbox One controller, not sure if it makes a difference. Thought I'd mention it though. It is supported by Windows and Xpadder.

I put WASD and left the movement blank in Halo PC settings. But the stick does not work. It only works when I assign the axis in Halo PC. Do I need to save the profile in a certain spot? I'm at a loss. Or am I supposed to assign the look direction as blank too??

Also, the diagonals appear to suck ass in Halo PC. Does xpadder fix this? It looks like it has settings to. It appears as though the default only has 8 directions, so if you slightly turn the stick above the full left, you are doing a full diagonal up/left instead of mostly left. It screws my movement up completely.

Lastly, are we sure the magnetism setting actually works? I tried strafing by people without turning my right stick and it didn't appear to stick to them very much, if at all.

diagonals suck no matter what you do. It doesn't support 360 degree movement, just 4 movement directions. The problem without the xpadder is that you'll be holding forward at what you think is 90degrees, but you're really holding 91degrees so you move to the left. Or you could just use the dpad on the xbone controller and not use xpadder. 

I can confirm that XPadder works with an Xbox One controller. The diagonals and deadzone are exactly what the XPadder solution is for. I had to reinstall this weekend so I just went through setting it up. I'll be home around 9:30 pm EST tonight, I'll try to post a step-by-step guide here for around 10pm.

In the meantime, the only thing that comes to mind is that you need to make sure you save the profile before it will work in-game. To do so, click on the little save icon near the top-right corner of the screen (if there is an arrow pointing towards it, it needs to be saved). Apart from that you can try starting from scratch - don't uninstall, but remove the controller profile you made and only activate the left stick, D-Pad and Start button, since all other buttons can be mapped in Halo's settings.

As for the magnetism setting: it works. You'll need to type player_magnetism 1 into the console. To enable console, create a shortcut to Halo. Right-click on the shortcut and add " -console" (no quotations, but make sure you put the space before the dash) to the end of the Target field. If you don't want to type the command every time you start the game, you can create a text file named init.txt and place it in your haloce.exe root directory. In the text file, write only "player_magnetism 1" (without quotes). The command will be automatically entered upon launching the game, eliminating the need to enter the command manually. Sadly, this trick does not work with the command to turn off hit sound.

I will update the OP with all this info.

Again, if you still can't get it to work, hit me up on Discord tonight and I can try to walk you through it.

diagonals suck no matter what you do. It doesn't support 360 degree movement, just 4 movement directions. The problem without the xpadder is that you'll be holding forward at what you think is 90degrees, but you're really holding 91degrees so you move to the left. Or you could just use the dpad on the xbone controller and not use xpadder.

This isn't entirely true. It supports 8-way movement with adjustable diagonals, which brings it very close to how it feels on Xbox (at least close enough that I wouldn't say "it sucks" - but it definitely sucks a big one without XPadder, it's hardly playable). I'm using the settings I posted in the OP, but I didn't really spend much time tweaking the diagonals. If someone finds better settings, please share them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I did the trick with magnetism last night and it said true. Maybe we can test it out later with a non-moving target.

I would appreciate any help you can give me with xpadder later. I'll be on.

I did the trick with magnetism last night and it said true. Maybe we can test it out later with a non-moving target.

I would appreciate any help you can give me with xpadder later. I'll be on.

The command only works if the right stick is bound to the "look" controls in the Halo settings. This is deliberate so that mouse players can't use it. If you bound the right stick in XPadder that may be causing the issue with the magnetism.

I'll catch you around 9:30 PM then!

EDIT: I just realized that the movie I'm going to see is a bit longer than I though, I may only get on from 10:00-10:30pm. Should be more than enough to guide you through the process anyway.

See, stuff like these control problems is why I'm worried about wide adoption. Unless the game is (for the most part, at least) plug-and-play, it will only see the usual hardcore suspects and no one else.

Well it's still in like "beta test" mode. And for all intents and purposes the game IS totally playable even without xpadder and I was impressed with how it played. You don't need xpadder to play. Movement just feels kinda weird and I'd like to use xpadder to make it better is all.