stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

well i got my ass beat

the timers on the side are pretty neat

i would suggest you raise the player cap to 3v3 or 4v4 for two reasons

1) you'll never necessarily fill the server all the time and 2v3 is more manageable than 1v2

2) there are apparently some really fucking good people who can completely can take over a game, so it may be hard to get balanced teams in a 2v2

then password the server with "beyond" or something because the pub players in this game are not only really really bad but it seems like lagging causes everyone to have bad hit reg against you and they all have 200+ ping for some reason??? i'm never going to understand why south americans are so stubborn they refuse to play on south american servers in literally every game i've ever played

• Upvote (+1) 2

well i got my ass beat

1) you'll never necessarily fill the server all the time and 2v3 is more manageable than 1v2

2) there are apparently some really fucking good people who can completely can take over a game, so it may be hard to get balanced teams in a 2v2

then password the server with "beyond" or something because the pub players in this game are not only really really bad but it seems like lagging causes everyone to have bad hit reg against you and they all have 200+ ping for some reason??? i'm never going to understand why south americans are so stubborn they refuse to play on south american servers in literally every game i've ever played

The Great Trump Firewall LOL!

• Upvote (+1) 2

UPDATE 11/01/2016 #2:

Due to the fact that I am only hosting a 4-slot server public server, people aren't always able to join when they want to. I reached out to the dev of HAC2 and he told me about a useful console command: "play_during_queue 1" (without the quotes)

You will need to have the server already in your bookmarks list (press F4 while in the server). Join another server if mine is full, open console and enter the above command. Then press F5 to view your bookmarks while ingame, and press alt+# (the number next to the server name in the bookmarks list). You are now queued up to join the server :) When a slot frees up, you will automatically quit your current server to join mine.

well i got my ass beat

I won't be increasing the max players. The MLG Slayer gametype is 2v2. Any more than that and the metagame is drastically altered.

Keep in mind that @@Mintograde is a particularly exceptional savage - most players you'll encounter aren't anywhere near his level. Don't let it get to you, I get smashed every time I play against him. Just try to get on his team :P

When everything is finished (I'll be working to complete the final versions of the Xbox maps this week) I'll start up a second server. I've already said this before, but if someone wants to put up the monthly cash for a Team Beyond server I'll gladly set it up, but I won't be paying for a private server out of my pocket.

Let's just say my mission statement is to get more players to learn the metagame and play proper gametypes, and that's not going to happen by locking the server or changing the max player count.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's not true though, MLG was also played 4v4, there are some sick vods of Dammy TS and BC flag matches out there on youtube somewhere

It has less to do with the metagame and more to do with a community service. If I were running the show I wouldn't want people on the sidelines waiting to play but that's just me and my take on things

That's not true though, MLG was also played 4v4, there are some sick vods of Dammy TS and BC flag matches out there on youtube somewhere

It has less to do with the metagame and more to do with a community service. If I were running the show I wouldn't want people on the sidelines waiting to play but that's just me and my take on things

I'm not against hosting a 4v4 server down the line, but I want to get the 2v2 experience down and the maps finished before I look at my options. BC 4v4 CTF is indeed a hell of a lot of fun...

What other 4v4 MLG gametypes were played back then? Enough for a full mapcycle? You're giving me ideas now :P But that'll be the 3rd server. 1st and 2nd will be 2v2 clones, I suppose 3rd could be 4v4. All this depends on how home-hosting goes - something I'll be testing after I move in a couple months.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't remember them all

Dammy+Hang Em+Chill Out TS

Warlock Flag+TS

Longest Flag

BC Flag+TS

Dammy Ball

Chill Out Ball??? I can't remember what the other ball map was

That's only 10 gametypes and I can't remember the 11th

Summon @@chaosTheory I'm sure he knows

And I'm sure there's some maps in Halo 1.5 that are viable for 4s. Isn't there an Ascension port in there or am I thinking of some other map pack

As impressive as this is, Halo PC has A. LOT. of things wrong with it. Many minor, yes, but when taken together they noticeably detract from the experience. Plus, this'll never take off with a wide audience if lots of manual configuration is required.

In the game industry, I don't understand why there are only two options for putting older games on newer consoles - emulate original ROM/ISO, or full code port. The former prevents any real changes, while the latter allows for possibly TOO MANY changes. (And in MCC's case, the easy way out was taken by using Halo PC's easier-to-port code.)

The absolute best solution for Halo 1 would be to go back to the original Xbox source code, and:

1. Add Xbox Live support

2. Add 16:9/1080p support (60 FPS is nice, but not necessary)

3. Ensure that the newer controller works well with it

4. DO NOTHING ELSE except recompile and emulate

Basically, patch a 14 year old game.

Of course, this depends on Microsoft adding original Xbox BC to the Xbone, which might not be worth their time since:

A. Many of those old games have lost value since the original Xbox Live was turned off, and I doubt that they'd want to go back on that decision for various reasons.

B. They're having a hard enough time getting 360 games on the 'bone thanks to licensing and bugs - why would they want to add to their workpile for minimal benefit?

I suppose that last point explains the whole MCC debacle, really...

But IMHO, I think Microsoft is being malicious when it comes to porting. Both Halo 1 Xbox and Perfect Dark N64 have MASSIVE replay value, the only thing missing from both being online play. If you ask me, porting them straight + online FRIGHTENS Microsoft - once people see what those games have to offer, they may not want to buy newer, more expensive games. The failed GoldenEye deal also has a bit of a smell to it...

• Upvote (+1) 1

As impressive as this is, Halo PC has A. LOT. of things wrong with it. Many minor, yes, but when taken together they noticeably detract from the experience. Plus, this'll never take off with a wide audience if lots of manual configuration is required.

Maybe the OP is too beefy to and lacks clarity. There isn't much configuration required. The vast majority of the fixes are server-side and require no configuration for players. All you need is Custom Edition installed (legit or pirated) and the 3 "Essential Mods/fixes" that are near the top of the OP (2/3 of which only require unzipping a file and placing it in a folder). Like I already said, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get it up and running.

No one's arguing with you about the state of the game industry. Everyone's sour about MCC. But we can't do a whole lot about MCC unfortunately.

@@FarSight XR~20 come and try it out. Join the Discord channel. Halo PC is not as bad as you remember it in its current state, many of the game-breaking issues have been fixed and tweaks are still on the way. Only remaining glaring issue is warping/rubberbanding, and games can still be (and are) played despite it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

UPDATE 01/12/2016:

Cleaned up the OP. Many players thought a huge configuration was required due to the length of the list of fixes. In truth, almost all the fixes are server-side. I changed the status for many fixes to reflect this. Also:

• Completed the active camo fix. No changes to the teleporter shader will be necessary. Camo opacity bug was due to the layering of the teleporter scenery geometry.
  • Further tweaking & testing will be undertaken within the next couple of days to improve shot reg consistency. Thanks to KingNick & Mintograde for feedback in the Discord channel!
  • Work continues on the Xbox versions of the maps. Derelict is complete, Hang 'Em High is complete, and Damnation is almost ready. If you are curious as to the fixes/changes, check out halobugs.com and sort by map name. All map-specific bugs from this site will be fixed.

Maybe the OP is too beefy to and lacks clarity. There isn't much configuration required. The vast majority of the fixes are server-side and require no configuration for players. All you need is Custom Edition installed (legit or pirated) and the 3 "Essential Mods/fixes" that are near the top of the OP (2/3 of which only require unzipping a file and placing it in a folder). Like I already said, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get it up and running.

Can confirm. Literally took 10 minutes to set it up

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't remember them all

Dammy+Hang Em+Chill Out TS

Warlock Flag+TS

Longest Flag

BC Flag+TS

Dammy Ball

Chill Out Ball??? I can't remember what the other ball map was

That's only 10 gametypes and I can't remember the 11th

Summon @@chaosTheory I'm sure he knows

And I'm sure there's some maps in Halo 1.5 that are viable for 4s. Isn't there an Ascension port in there or am I thinking of some other map pack

I do think that some 4v4 game modes are pretty good, but a lot aren't unfortunately. I forget which were modes were used for what tournaments though.

Chill Out Oddball is correct. I think there was Longest Oddball too. The damnation one may have been Reverse Tag with 2 balls.

I find WIZARD sucks for 4v4 CTF compared to how well it can play in other Halos. I forget how well KOTH played out on Longest and Damnation, but Rat Race KOTH is one of my favorite gamemodes that I don't think was implemented in tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do think that some 4v4 game modes are pretty good, but a lot aren't unfortunately. I forget which were modes were used for what tournaments though.

Chill Out Oddball is correct. I think there was Longest Oddball too. The damnation one may have been Reverse Tag with 2 balls.

I find WIZARD sucks for 4v4 CTF compared to how well it can play in other Halos. I forget how well KOTH played out on Longest and Damnation, but Rat Race KOTH is one of my favorite gamemodes that I don't think was implemented in tournaments.

I ripped this from a website a while ago, so idk how accurate it is:

Halo: Combat Evolved:

(Latest settings 2006)

FFA: (Gametype: Slayer Pro)

No Death Bonus/ No Kill Penalty
Respawn Time: 5 Seconds
Score Limit: 50 Kills
Radar: On
Suicide Penalty: 10 Seconds
Starting Weapons: Generic

Map: Derelict

Team Slayer: (Gametype: Team Slayer)

Respawn Time: 5 Seconds
Score Limit: 50 Kills
Radar: Off

Maps: Derelict
Damnation
Hang ‘Em High
Chill Out
Battle Creek
Longest
Rat Race
Boarding Action-Sniping Weapon Set
Wizard-Kill in Order-Nav Points

Capture the Flag (Gametype: CTF Pro)

Respawn Time: 10 Seconds
Score Limit: 3 or 5 (5 only for Wizard Variant)
Radar: Off (except for Battle Creek which is ON)
*All gametypes: Flag at home to score & Flag touch return ON*
[There are two gametypes for Wizard CTF, Both are 5 caps to win, however there is the option for only pistols to be on the map, in this case the additional settings is
Weapon Set: Pistols]

Maps: Damnation
Wizard-Pistols Weapon Set
Wizard
Rat Race
Hang ‘Em High
Longest
Derelict
Battle Creek

Oddball: (Gametype: Team Ball)

Score to win: 5 Minutes

Maps: Longest
Chill Out
Damnation-Reverse Tag-2 Balls

King of the Hill: (Gametype: Team King)

Score to win: 5 minutes

Maps: Battle Creek

I have the MLG settings straight from CT himself somewhere on my hard drive when he posted them on the Halo Council, so I'll look into posting them here if I find them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

does anyone know where i can find a download of the normal halo ce? i have the custom edition but i cant seem to find the regular version anywhere.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

4v4 and 5v5 in CE works very well competitive when doing CTF3 or CTF5, eg

Sidewinder

Bloodgulch

Icefields

TImberland

Dangercanyon

that the flagcarrier can also utilize warthogs and ghosts just adds to the skillgap, requires more awareness by your team and in general heats up the tention way more than if he is required to have a driver

does anyone know where i can find a download of the normal halo ce? i have the custom edition but i cant seem to find the regular version anywhere.

as far as i know custom edition is legal to download openly but the original halo pc isnt which is why you most likely havent found it on any official sites

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sidewinder

Bloodgulch

Icefields

TImberland

Dangercanyon

that the flagcarrier can also utilize warthogs and ghosts just adds to the skillgap, requires more awareness by your team and in general heats up the tention way more than if he is required to have a driver

as far as i know custom edition is legal to download openly but the original halo pc isnt which is why you most likely havent found it on any official sites

A competitive match where the Danger Canyon wall exploits can be used sounds like a really, really fun meta.

Sidewinder

Bloodgulch

Icefields

TImberland

Dangercanyon

So you don't think I should disabled flag-carrier-driving with a server script?

On another, silly note - there's a server option that allows for multi team vehicles (ex: red player driving a hog with a blue gunner). Not really considering it, but I joined a server once and had a chuckle when I saw that.

Can confirm - surely you can find it somewhere "unofficial" but the normal Halo PC is not available for free download. That being said, if campaign is what you're after, you can find the whole campaign on halomaps.org (as well as some quite impressive custom campaign maps). But you'll need a custom UI.map that changes the main menu to include the campaign entry.

A competitive match where the Danger Canyon wall exploits can be used sounds like a really, really fun meta.

This can be fixed with a server script (players are killed when they leave the playable area of a map).

a competitive match in which one team doesnt realize that this glitch has just been done against them doesnt sound like a competitive match

also no one would use that anyhow, its something people do in public games but not in scrims since the scene is small and everyone knows everybody

back in the days when halo pc and custom edition was popular in leagues such as clanbase and esl there was a long discussion about it with the result that the flag carrier being allowed to utilize vehicles is the better way to play CTF, and the discussion involved teams like SK gaming, ZeroPoint, 3D and other huge esports teams

since then all leagues went with this setup for years and it worked out very well, played lots of cups and league games with these settings and found them to be the more exciting and difficult gamemode

ofc no banshees or tanks are in ctf which would indeed make this too op

i dont have the gamemode anymore, maybe someone of my friends has but it was pretty much one ghost and one/two hogs depending on the map you played

a competitive match in which one team doesnt realize that this glitch has just been done against them doesnt sound like a competitive match

also no one would use that anyhow, its something people do in public games but not in scrims since the scene is small and everyone knows everybody

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic lol 

back in the days when halo pc and custom edition was popular in leagues such as clanbase and esl there was a long discussion about it with the result that the flag carrier being allowed to utilize vehicles is the better way to play CTF, and the discussion involved teams like SK gaming, ZeroPoint, 3D and other huge esports teams

since then all leagues went with this setup for years and it worked out very well, played lots of cups and league games with these settings and found them to be the more exciting and difficult gamemode

i dont have the gamemode anymore, maybe someone of my friends has but it was pretty much one ghost and one/two hogs depending on the map you played

Sure I was just throwing it out there. I never bothered playing Halo PC at a high level so I don't know all the intricacies. I have a huge zip file full of all the old PC scrim gametypes (TWL, etc) but I can't seem to find it at the moment. These aren't the types of gametypes I was planning on hosting just yet, though. Maybe down the line...

I'll just throw together a quick list of 4v4 gametypes that would make the best 11 game series.

Chill Out TS

Hang Em TS

Dammy TS

Battle Creek TS

Derelict CTF

Longest CTF

Wizard CTF (Pistols, Rifles, Short Range, or Covenant Weapon Set.  The goal is to get rid of the rockets top mid.)

Chill Out Oddball

Damnation Reverse Tag (2 Balls)

Rat Race King of the Hill

Damnation King of the Hill

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'll just throw together a quick list of 4v4 gametypes that would make the best 11 game series.

Chill Out TS

Hang Em TS

Dammy TS

Battle Creek TS

Derelict CTF

Longest CTF

Wizard CTF (Pistols, Rifles, Short Range, or Covenant Weapon Set.  The goal is to get rid of the rockets top mid.)

Chill Out Oddball

Damnation Reverse Tag (2 Balls)

Rat Race King of the Hill

Damnation King of the Hill

I could go for that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On another, silly note - there's a server option that allows for multi team vehicles (ex: red player driving a hog with a blue gunner). Not really considering it, but I joined a server once and had a chuckle when I saw that.

Can confirm - surely you can find it somewhere "unofficial" but the normal Halo PC is not available for free download. That being said, if campaign is what you're after, you can find the whole campaign on halomaps.org (as well as some quite impressive custom campaign maps). But you'll need a custom UI.map that changes the main menu to include the campaign entry.

This can be fixed with a server script (players are killed when they leave the playable area of a map).

I agree with beamimpact, flag-driving seems really in line with the CE-esque philosophy of individual skill and also with its flag/vehicle mechanics in general.

Oh, that's a neat solution. A bit more elegant than throwing more geometry at the problem.

Well...I agree it should be patched (I was being sarcastic, and I tried to provide emphasis on how "humorous" it would be), although I don't really agree with your reasoning. Reverse-engineering player glitches used to be how metagames evolved over several games before the age of quick patching and post launch support, or in the case of some modern games (such as XCOM: Enemy Unknown), still do. This glitch in particular has been documented just the same as the widely accepted BLB or Quick Camo has, so I don't see a difference between any of them outside of the technical aspect of one completely breaking map geometry.

UPDATE 01/13/2016:

Finalized the Active Camouflage fix. I think this is the best it's going to get. I'm going to be testing it tonight. Here's a (very short) video showing the difference: https://youtu.be/8bQlSx0H5DQ

OP has been updated. If you want to try it out, join the Discord channel and ask me to send you the map. The video might not do it justice. It's a test version and it won't be uploaded to HAC2's auto-download server. I'll be online for another 90 minutes or so.

• Upvote (+1) 3

UPDATE 01/13/2016:

Finalized the Active Camouflage fix. I think this is the best it's going to get. I'm going to be testing it tonight. Here's a (very short) video showing the difference: https://youtu.be/8bQlSx0H5DQ

OP has been updated. If you want to try it out, join the Discord channel and ask me to send you the map. The video might not do it justice. It's a test version and it won't be uploaded to HAC2's auto-download server. I'll be online for another 90 minutes or so.

Holy fuck dude, you are single handedly saving this game

Holy fuck dude, you are single handedly saving this game

Not single-handedly. Reminder that NeX single-handedly fixed the broken weapon timers. 002 fixed empty weapon despawn and made the 33 ms lead script (controversial btw, @@KingNick isn't a fan but @@Mintograde eventually got used to it). If it weren't for SBB Mike we wouldn't have Downrush & Zerohour, and I wouldn't have learned how to port the rest of the h1.5 maps or get the Xbox map geometry. Jesse helped with the Xbox health bar.

This project would never have come to fruition without the help of these gentlemen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not single-handedly. Reminder that NeX single-handedly fixed the broken weapon timers. 002 fixed empty weapon despawn and made the 33 ms lead script (controversial btw, @@KingNick isn't a fan but @@Mintograde eventually got used to it). If it weren't for SBB Mike we wouldn't have Downrush & Zerohour, and I wouldn't have learned how to port the rest of the h1.5 maps or get the Xbox map geometry. Jesse helped with the Xbox health bar.This project would never have come to fruition without the help of these gentlemen.

You can tell them I thank them to the fucking moon and back... This is awesome for PC