stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

This is part of the reason I'm not always convinced dedicated servers are actually a good thing for pc games.  Basically, the people who run the dedicated servers don't have much of a grasp on game balancing theories or are not particularly smart so you end up with everything being least common denominator settings: max players, popular map(s).  Some servers do it fairly well with CTF games that can last over a day(s) and you can rejoin with your stats from the previous session, with different people hopping on etc like one gigantic battle.  So that's actually pretty cool but I find these sort of servers are pretty rare.

But back to the main point: Every server ends up as 16 player cluster****s.  I think CoD Black Ops is probably the most egregious example of this.  It's essentially unplayable if you're not a fan of 18 players on Nuketown.  This is a pattern that is constantly repeated in games with server browsers.  Ultimately though, we're the niche and we have to deal with that and server browsers tend to do more good than bad when there isn't any runaway oversaturation of one or two types of game settings.

I wouldn't blame the infrastructure for what bad server hosts put up in their mapcycles. I'm hosting three 2v2 servers and can get proper gametypes going when I need to thanks to the Discord group. I would take community-hosted dedicated servers over developer-ran "dedicated-servers-but-not-really" with whatever they decide are the best settings for the community.

At least with community-hosted dedicated servers we can change/fix things, especially with an old game. How much support do you think Halo 5's or MCC's online platform is going to be getting 15 years from now?

I honestly couldn't care less what other players want to play. Part of the whole issue with playlist-based matchmaking is that players are stuck with whatever the developer decides are the "right" gametypes to be played, since you can't just have playlists for every possible gametype variation. Players should have the ability to play whatever gametype they want, or at least have a large variety of gametypes to choose from.

That being said, a playlist-based competitive playlist is the best model for serious games, but 343's and even Bungie's implementation could have been better. It would be cool to have a series-based playlist where players are matched together for a best-of-5 on a fixed mapcycle.

I hooked up an old Logitech controller (basically a PS2 controller) and it feels pretty good now that I've started returning player_magnetism 1 in the console. Also, it doesn't feel too weird having only four movement axes since I've mapped WASD to the d-pad. I'm still confused about leading shots with the pistol, though, since there are so many factors online. So I have a few questions:

1. Do bullets inherit player momentum like in OG, or is it like H3?

2. Should I still aim above the head to get headshots more consistently exactly as I would in OG H1, or is that not effective? I also thought I saw someone say that in MCC CE you should aim a little higher than OG, which is why I'm asking.

3. True or false: the pistol has OG levels of spread. (thinking it's true)

4. I just have to lead based on my ping, not my opponent's, right? That's what I would do in most host-client type games, but I'm not sure because no player is the host on HPC yet the OG version based all interactions on what the host sees.

5. Is eating shots pretty common, or am I going insane?

It probably doesn't help that my ping is rarely under 100, but I'll have a good wired connection in about a week. And I know that there are more important things to focus on than aim, but I just want to know when I actually missed and when something was out of my control so that I don't get unnecessarily tilted.

Edit: also, shoutout to @@Killmachine for helping me set everything up.

I hooked up an old Logitech controller (basically a PS2 controller) and it feels pretty good now that I've started returning player_magnetism 1 in the console. Also, it doesn't feel too weird having only four movement axes since I've mapped WASD to the d-pad. I'm still confused about leading shots with the pistol, though, since there are so many factors online. So I have a few questions:

I haven't used a PS2 controller but you might want to look into a 3rd party utility to set deadzones for both sticks (XPadder works for left stick, but we use XBCD drivers + utility for the right stick, but it only works on OG and 360 controllers).

1. Do bullets inherit player momentum like in OG, or is it like H3?

There is some degree of this, but the amount you need to lead remains fairly consistent across servers because of the method used for lag compensation (aka the "no lead" mod, which doesn't really remove all leading, it just reduces the ridiculous amount of lead from vanilla Halo PC).

2. Should I still aim above the head to get headshots more consistently exactly as I would in OG H1, or is that not effective? I also thought I saw someone say that in MCC CE you should aim a little higher than OG, which is why I'm asking.

Maybe don't aim quite as high? It's not exactly like OG but there is still an element of bullet magnetism. Just gotta play games and you'll figure it out.

3. True or false: the pistol has OG levels of spread. (thinking it's true)

The pistol's characteristics are identical outside of player magnetism and to a lesser degree, bullet magnetism.

4. I just have to lead based on my ping, not my opponent's, right? That's what I would do in most host-client type games, but I'm not sure because no player is the host on HPC yet the OG version based all interactions on what the host sees.

Regardless of what your ping is, the amount you have to lead is approximately the same as another player, in any server. The method used for the "no lead" mod uses player latency to offset enemy player location. This is the same method used in most modern online shooters, but results in instances of getting shot after you've turned a corner (happens in MCC as well).

5. Is eating shots pretty common, or am I going insane?

I think I posted a description of the "effects sync fix" awhile back. This isn't yet present in the main servers (only in the testing server). Without the effect sync fix, your client reports false hits all the time. I suspect the same thing happens in MCC but can't be bothered to verify. Anyway since we got NHE beta v7 out the door I'll have more time to tie up some loose ends on PC. I haven't done an update in awhile because I'm juggling server issues, creation of a couple new maps, and some other stuff, but everything's looking up.

It probably doesn't help that my ping is rarely under 100, but I'll have a good wired connection in about a week. And I know that there are more important things to focus on than aim, but I just want to know when I actually missed and when something was out of my control so that I don't get unnecessarily tilted.

This is where the PC version really shines. On PC, unlike MCC, players on wifi and players with rocky connections are punished rather than rewarded. On MCC if you're on wifi you're harder to hit, whereas on PC if you're on wifi you're going to have trouble landing shots. Although PC suffers from warping problems, with the effect sync fix and a good dedicated server, it's the best way to play CE online in terms of even-playing-field.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is playing on PC more similar to OG than MCC is right now?

I don't have a straight answer for you. It's still not possible to split screen on PC. The shooting is different than both OG and MCC. We have the same map cycle as NHE on my servers, as well as some work-in-progress maps.

If you really want to go over all the issues with a fine-tooth comb, visit http://halobugs.com and filter by PCE (the dropdown menu at the top) and you can see all of the bugs that have been resolved.

PC doesn't suffer from some of the stranger MCC bugs. Bullet magnetism works in PC, there are no holes/invisible walls in my "xbox" map ports, and unlike MCC if you have a bad connection you will not have an advantage over others.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no straight answer to what the best version of online Halo 1 is. MCC offers matchmaking and splitscreen and ranks, but the playing field is very uneven (host disadvantage, favors bad connections, etc). PC version offers guaranteed dedicated servers and a more even playing field, but is less feature-rich with no matchmaking/ranks (yet). And then there's XBC/XLink/XLAN with its massive host advantage and equipment requirements.

So it depends what you value and expect from an online experience. I think people need to realize that as long as we're talking about online netcode and lag compensation, there's little chance that it'll ever feel 1:1 to Xbox LAN. The goal with the PCE project (unlike MCC) is to capture the general experience. Similar time-to-kill with the weapons, ensuring that the same gameplay tactics apply as on LAN, and bringing the feature-set up to par with NHE are top priorities. I wish I could say the same about MCC but all it's got going for it right now is accessibility and split screen (in my opinion).

PS: I'm going to bomb this thread with an update that summarizes the developments that have occurred since January 2017 (main updates include fixed controller support that doesn't require external utility, 60 FPS animations, input method detection, new maps and more). It'll take me awhile to put together because so much has changed. Stay tuned

• Upvote (+1) 8

I just got SPV3 installed on my new rig.  Want to play some more GMYF soon. 

Halo C.E. in ultrawide. Druel!!

FSSr5lm.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please update again when I can use an OG controller or XB1 controller and the movement feels like it does on either MCC or OG Halo.  

Please update again when I can use an OG controller or XB1 controller and the movement feels like it does on either MCC or OG Halo.

You can use a Duke or OG S controller using XBCD drivers, and you can literally plug an xbox one controller in and have it register automatically if you're on win10.

Movement has been fixed on test servers with chimera but has not been deployed to public ones.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The movement is fixed but only on the GMYF Test servers because the test servers are currently the only servers with chimera on them. 

Update (June 2017): 002 has successfully resolved both the directional limitations and the walk/run speed limitation (analog movement) with the release of his client/server mod Chimera (~build 23). The game's movement netcode was rewritten to accommodate this feature. New functionality includes full 360-degree directional movement & full range of walk/run speed. Controller movement is now on-par with the original Xbox version.

NOTE: this fix requires both the client & server to be running the Chimera mod.

In order for you to be able to play on the GMYF Test servers you need access to the test maps and the build of chimera that is compatible with the GMYF Test servers. In order for you to be able to get access to the test maps and the build of chimera that is compatible with the GMYF Test servers you need to join the Halo 1 Hub discord and ask Stunt_man for the Map Testers role. We usually play on the GMYF New York City Test server because it has the most up to date maps on it. Here's a link to the Halo 1 Hub discord. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can use a Duke or OG S controller using XBCD drivers, and you can literally plug an xbox one controller in and have it register automatically if you're on win10.

Movement has been fixed on test servers with chimera but has not been deployed to public ones.

Sounds like the project is coming along!  When is chimera being deployed to the public ones and how far are we out from having public rooms of 2v2 TS with same game settings as current MCC?

Sounds like the project is coming along!  When is chimera being deployed to the public ones and how far are we out from having public rooms of 2v2 TS with same game settings as current MCC?

The developer is still working out some kinks before he can release publicly (mainly fixing vehicle netcode and adding some minor features).

I can't say exactly when this will be done, as the developer isn't getting paid and therefore doesn't adhere to any sort of schedule. He burned himself out a little bit working on this virtually all summer, but he assures me he's not done with it and will be back to it this month.