stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

I got this set up on my BootCamp partition and got the Elite controller working thanks to the guides here.

I got slaughtered but I had the time of my life much more than I can say playing MCC earlier

Will def be hanging around the Discord more from now on

I don't have time to read all of these posts right now so hopefully somebody can fill me in.  Does this actually work like xbox and if so, is there an s-type to usb adapter?  Is the latency the same feel as xbc?  Can you split screen?  Does this have the halo final internal talking timer?  Is NHE implemented if we wanted to setup a dedicated host?  If this isn't just another version of mcc I'll spread the word.  

Csquared,

Yes.

Yes.

You might be able too, I've seen proof-of-concepts but no one has really tried it for this effort. I have been able to replicate the split-screen resolution, though.

I think there use to be a talking timer, now there is just an on-screen text timer.

NHE doesn't need to be implemented, you can already set up a dedicated host.

All of the hosts are already set up and dedicated. Dallas, Montreal, LA, Amsterdam.

I think stunt_man said he's eventually putting a talking timer back in (I'd really appreciate this personally).

Don't expect split screen anytime soon.

The latency is the same concept as XBC but only 18ms lag no matter where you connect from so it's mostly consistent and easy to manage. I don't have to lead very much, it's just enough to make it challenging like offhost Lan shooting. Unfortunately you will die around corners due to the netcode but I find that far more acceptable than XBC latency.

I don't have time to read all of these posts right now so hopefully somebody can fill me in.  Does this actually work like xbox and if so, is there an s-type to usb adapter?  Is the latency the same feel as xbc?  Can you split screen?  Does this have the halo final internal talking timer?  Is NHE implemented if we wanted to setup a dedicated host?  If this isn't just another version of mcc I'll spread the word.

yes it works,

yes theres an adapter

it feels like a decent MCC connection

can't splitscreen though u can just have two monitors with the same FoV of splitscreen.

I would say it's its own experience.

Does this actually work like xbox?

It doesn't play exactly like Xbox if that's what you're asking. Depends how picky you are.

is there an s-type to usb adapter?

Yes it works quite well with custom XBCD drivers and XPadder.

Is the latency the same feel as xbc?

No.

XBC/XLink Pros:

• splitscreen
  • no warping
  • original version of the game means no changes to bullet magnetism and stuff
XBC/XLink Cons:
  • major host advantage
  • latency is handled via input delay and shot lead
  • optimal connection only possible if all players are in same general area
HPC Final Pros:
  • guaranteed dedicated servers mean no host advantage
  • bad connections never favor the player
  • Magnetism works
  • choice of regional servers (Montreal, Dallas, LA, Amsterdam - with more coming) for optimal connections
  • automatic download of custom maps mean players don't need to all have the same version of a mod. I host some new maps before they're released on Xbox too
  • maps are xbox versions, so the lip is on the trench in hangem, you can jump through the window in creek, etc
  • on-screen time elapsed counter
  • semi-open-ended nature of the game in terms of moddability means that I can always go back and update server settings, maps, etc
  • You can be in a game within 10 seconds of launching it from your desktop. The Discord group is great for getting matches going and you can tag controllers-only players too.
HPC Final Cons:
  • outdated netcode means players warp under certain circumstances (walking into another player, or getting blown off a ledge by a nade)
  • shot lead is fairly static, doesn't vary. Just means the shooting feels a little bit different in mid-strafe
  • even with the fixes, controller movement (left stick) is not quite the same as on xbox, but it's manageable and not game-breaking
  • no splitscreen
  • we're really pushing the enveloppe with a lot of the fixes and this is still a work-in-progress. servers crash occasionally but they come back on after a minute. this sort of thing will get ironed out once everything's finalized.
MCC Pros:
  • no warping/rubberbanding (unless the player's connection is bad)
  • controls feel pretty good
  • split screen
MCC Cons:
  • a bad connection favors the player, making them harder to hit and skewing the whole ranking system. Game-breaker.
  • uses altered versions of the maps
  • we'll probably never see another update
  • ugly HUD and bad sound effects
  • frequent matchmaking instability and crashes

Can you split screen?

No. But 1) the game is old and can run on almost any PC 2) don't need to set up CRT's 3) dedicated servers can be hosted locally for use on LAN

Does this have the halo final internal talking timer?

No but I am researching how to implement it. The way it's implemented on Xbox doesn't synchronize on the PC version so we're looking into unorthodox methods to get it in. In the meantime, there's an on-screen timer that shows time elapsed, and I queue up the mp3 of cT's timer and start it at the beginning of a match.

Is NHE implemented if we wanted to setup a dedicated host?

Short answer: yes. Long answer: NHE isn't even necessary on PC, because rather than hosting games P2P-style (like in MCC), games can be hosted on legit dedicated servers. So there's no hostman in his cage in the sky. It's just a separate machine that all the players connect to.

If this isn't just another version of mcc I'll spread the word.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, it's no replacement for the Xbox version. But I prefer it over MCC. It depends how important it is to you that it feels exactly the same. I personally can't stand MCC because of the broken bullet magnetism and the fact that it's very rarely an even playing field in terms of connection quality.

The goal of this project was never to replace the Xbox version of the game. It serves as an alternative to MCC at worst, and at best it offers up some of the best Halo outside of Xbox LAN. But it depends what you consider important: if you can stand some minor differences in terms of control input and the way the shot reg works, and appreciate the even playing field, and the wealth of features and open-endedness of the PC platform, then you'll enjoy it.

But for folks that will only tolerate the game if it plays exactly like on LAN should stick to LAN. The difference is that I can get games easily and quickly on weeknights if I want to get my fix, which isn't the case for LANning on Xbox. I tend to play PC during the week and LAN on weekends, whenever I can gather together enough players. I play MCC less and less because it takes too long to get into a game and the quality of match is shit more times than not.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Thanks for all the answers, if it truly is its own experience I'll give it a try this weekend when I have time and see how it feels, hopefully midwest to dallas wont be too bad. 

Any news on a fix for the 8-way directional fix for gamepads? 

I am hoping H1 PC would be one day be just as viable to LAN as H1 Xbox, IMO its easier to get a functioning H1 PC LAN ready to be streamed and all that stuff.

I understand though some people despise playing H1 with a M&Kb lol, plus getting a bunch of people playing on LAN would make the latency issues not so much of an issue.

Cheap PCs and good server PC would make am ossim, event.

I'm not sure how the directional issues would be fixed. Haven't heard any news. It's awful I dunno how you PC players do it.

We've been testing the rest of the Halo 1.5 maps, bug-crunching and optimizing some of the fixes for better server performance. On the server side of things, I'm still working out optimal hosting and configuration before putting up the 4v4 & FFA servers (2v2 will always be the main focus).

New stuff: the kill feed is now correctly being displayed via the blue text, instead of in the chat (like it is on Xbox). This is due to a new HAC2 update. Also included in the HAC2 update is the hac.dll timer fix that is listed in the OP. hac.dll is no longer required as long as your HAC2 got updated (you'll be able to tell fairly quickly by joining one of the servers - if the elapsed time counter is jumping all over the screen, you aren't running the latest version - but it should update automatically). Some other very exciting news is that the SAPP server mod is being updated again. Newest update features the inclusion of a timer fix that no longer requires the use of an external LUA script (the script is currently being used in Montreal, LA and Amsterdam servers). The LUA script has been known to cause issues (ex: Rat Race crashes upon load, also intermittent crashes may be related to this script) so once I do some testing we will be able to retire the script from the configuration, effectively simplifying the server setup which ultimately results in better stability and less downtime.

I'm still waiting on a good teleporter shader fix. I also need to review the sound removal mod that is used in NHE (I applied the same mod to my maps but some sounds still seem to play - not sure if this is the case on Xbox as well, need to do some side-by-side testing).

When I have some actual progress to report, I'll make a traditional update like I've been doing. Progress has slowed but hasn't halted. I've been busy (mostly LANing NHE) but fully intend to see this through.

I doubt anyone here is aware of the event, but CE3 will be airing this weekend. It's a kind of a showcase for the Halo PC modding community. Most of the content is not geared towards CE's competitive demographic, but I had initially planned to produce a flashy promo video for the Halo 1.5 maps ports. I've since reconsidered and will not be presenting the project for CE3. When the time comes, appropriate promotional measures will be taken, but I do not intend to release a video with "Coming Soon" at the end.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo Custom edition, is impossible to play properly

The only ones playing are mexicans typing jajaja in the chat and having a ping of around 222, causing them to gain a mysterious teleportation ability which seem to block every shot from my magnum.

This is my personal experience just saying

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only ones playing are mexicans typing jajaja in the chat and having a ping of around 222, causing them to gain a mysterious teleportation ability which seem to block every shot from my magnum.

You gotta join the Discord and ask for games, people get on all the time. Just tag @Controller Master Race

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, it'd be cool to have more active controller players. As stunt_man said you can tag people with controllers typing that to the chat. As for high ping / warping players we have many people across the globe, with different connections. In ideal situation you would have a warp free game without getting killed behind corners if you and people near your area played on a server that's also near to you.

Would anyone be willing to DM me with an xpadder link? The controller is so wonky without it. 

Check your PM's

sounds to me like you're just playing in the worst possible servers

sounds to me like you're just playing in the worst possible servers

The servers Bhat plays on are laughably bad...

jajajajaja!

It's not just you.  Unfortunately it's been this way for years now.  2009 is the last time I remember the community being decent.

No one speaks english.

The servers are all 16 players regardless of the map.

Most of the servers are rockets, snipers or zombies set on Blood Gulch.

Surprisingly not a lot of BTB servers running normal gametypes, and the ones that do don't even use the custom maps...

It's not just you.  Unfortunately it's been this way for years now.  2009 is the last time I remember the community being decent.

No one speaks english.

Surprisingly not a lot of BTB servers running normal gametypes, and the ones that do don't even use the custom maps...

Yeah I know.....

It's sad really, but join our discord. We can get decent games running

And if you are wondering why you haven't seen me on waypoint, it's because I got perma-banned lol.

No one speaks english.

This is part of the reason I'm not always convinced dedicated servers are actually a good thing for pc games.  Basically, the people who run the dedicated servers don't have much of a grasp on game balancing theories or are not particularly smart so you end up with everything being least common denominator settings: max players, popular map(s).  Some servers do it fairly well with CTF games that can last over a day(s) and you can rejoin with your stats from the previous session, with different people hopping on etc like one gigantic battle.  So that's actually pretty cool but I find these sort of servers are pretty rare.

But back to the main point: Every server ends up as 16 player cluster****s.  I think CoD Black Ops is probably the most egregious example of this.  It's essentially unplayable if you're not a fan of 18 players on Nuketown.  This is a pattern that is constantly repeated in games with server browsers.  Ultimately though, we're the niche and we have to deal with that and server browsers tend to do more good than bad when there isn't any runaway oversaturation of one or two types of game settings.