stunt_man

Current State of Halo PC - The Xbox Experience

What controller are you using? I got pretty good settings on an OG S controller with XBCD drivers + XPadder. Still 8-way but feels good

it's a 360 controller with xpadder WASD

I'm gonna boot it up on PC and then boot up my OG Xbox to see if I'm just crazy and they are actually similar.

They should be identical as far as I know but you could see a difference because obviously monitors and TV's are different. There could be motion blur etc. And I don't know where you reside but PAL and NTSC systems are different too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

interesting. do you have any video examples of this difference? is this flag checked on the xbox projectiles?

7aa0e1935e.png

I can confirm that the projectile tags for the pistol on PC and Xbox are identical, so the variable leading based on player/target direction is not a tag-based change. There don't appear to be any other differences between of the pistol's other tags either.

Good fucking God, reading people on r/pcmasterrace today talking about how halo PC was "a great port" by gearbox. These people have no clue at all. It's hilarious how some PC players just automatically assume their version of the game is better and don't notice the glaring design issues caused by all the bugs.

• Upvote (+1) 6

As a part of the glorious PC Gaming Master Race, I can say for a console-to-PC port, Gearbox did a surprisingly decent job. If they hadn't, I wouldn't have been playing this game since it came out, and the community wouldn't be continuing support the game by adding new features and fixing it's issues.

There have been some awful console-to-PC ports in the past, and CE isn't one of them. The functional, fairly bug-free unlocked framerate for example is a telling sign of a decent port. PC gamers expect a different experience than console gamers, and CE hits many of the marks. Admittedly, it isn't without it's issues.

- differences in level geometry,
- mouse acceleration on by default,
- broken shaders
- locked aspect ratio without the use of mods

The online play is a mixed bag.

On one hand, having a server browser, user-hosted dedis, UGC support backed by a powerful editing kit, and official support for online play AT ALL is fantastic. They've given more power to the users than you'd see in many console-to-PC ports these days. The game has 1k+ players online to this day during peak hours.

On the other hand, it's clear they slapped in the online play without ironing out the kinks, in their words, "to support 56K connections." Vanilla networking makes me want to hang myself. Regardless of the community hacking in fixes, Gearbox's work on the networking was abysmal.

To be honest, I'd say H2V had potential and could have continued to be alive to this day, but Microsoft destroyed it by locking it behind Games for Windows Live and Vista exclusivity, on top of some other, more minor bugs like tick-rate issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think we need to expect better than decent though. It is a haphazard port. The netcode and visual hit indicators are extremely important to the longevity and popularity and competitive consistency of the game and they are terrible. Some features are great and others they clearly did not care about at all. They had little respect towards the original game with baffling map design decisions (instead of just copying them...). And I'm of the opinion that if you're going to port someone's work which was hailed as a classic, you better do it faithfully. They messed with the competitive design curve badly as well.

Virtually no competitive players are on PC. CE's design lent itself to subconsciously push people to play it competitively on Xbox, while on PC it's an endless sea of 16 person servers with whacky ass settings, and players who for the most part still haven't learned how to get really good even after 13 years. Now there's nothing wrong with people playing for fun, but the point is there's no balance between fun and competitive like on Xbox. I believe part of that is due to the meta being much poorer than its Xbox counterpart due to bugs and netcode, and also the design focus being so much on btb with new giant maps and vehicles with no attention given to the 4v4 or 2v2 side which the original game was completely built around.

And just because publishers now don't give two shits about a good PC port doesn't mean we should accept work which was only comparatively better. It's still inferior to many of the top shooters on PC of its time too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

As a part of the glorious PC Gaming Master Race, I can say for a console-to-PC port, Gearbox did a surprisingly decent job. If they hadn't, I wouldn't have been playing this game since it came out, and the community wouldn't be continuing support the game by adding new features and fixing it's issues.

There have been some awful console-to-PC ports in the past, and CE isn't one of them. The functional, fairly bug-free unlocked framerate for example is a telling sign of a decent port. PC gamers expect a different experience than console gamers, and CE hits many of the marks. Admittedly, it isn't without it's issues.

- broken shaders

The online play is a mixed bag.

On one hand, having a server browser, user-hosted dedis, UGC support backed by a powerful editing kit, and official support for online play AT ALL is fantastic. They've given more power to the users than you'd see in many console-to-PC ports these days. The game has 1k+ players online to this day during peak hours.

On the other hand, it's clear they slapped in the online play without ironing out the kinks, in their words, "to support 56K connections." Vanilla networking makes me want to hang myself. Regardless of the community hacking in fixes, Gearbox's work on the networking was abysmal.

To be honest, I'd say H2V had potential and could have continued to be alive to this day, but Microsoft destroyed it by locking it behind Games for Windows Live and Vista exclusivity, on top of some other, more minor bugs like tick-rate issues.

I raise issue with the fact that you think Gearbox did a great job porting this.

This project is evidence of the piss-poor job they did porting.

That being said, they did a fantastic job adding features and making it feel like a PC game. But as far as porting the original gameplay goes, it could have been much much better.

- broken shaders

These are relatively minor issues compared to pickups not spawning on time, empty weapons not despawning, lack of proper controller support, terrible netcode optimization, starting grenade count, etc. Core gameplay elements like these should have been preserved 100% and not ignored/de-prioritized.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Virtually no competitive players are on PC. CE's design lent itself to subconsciously push people to play it competitively on Xbox, while on PC it's an endless sea of 16 person servers with whacky ass settings, and players who for the most part still haven't learned how to get really good even after 13 years. Now there's nothing wrong with people playing for fun, but the point is there's no balance between fun and competitive like on Xbox.

Actually there is a large community of competitive PC players, but:

I believe part of that is due to the meta being much poorer than its Xbox counterpart due to bugs and netcode

Pretty much this, though I think there's a better way to articulate it.

The meta is certainly different because of a few major factors. Time-to-kill is greatly reduced when all players are using kb/m, which fundamentally alters the flow of most maps. In many situations, players aren't punished as severely for making stupid moves, since it's easier to recover from such a situation with the freedom of aiming that only a mouse can provide. The fact that the pickups don't spawn on time took the emphasis off weapon/powerup timing, and the spawn system hadn't quite been figured out yet when the PC community established its competitive settings. So 4v4 became popular and the predictive elements of CE that we all love took a back seat because the meta simply hadn't developed in parallel with the Xbox community.

Personally I don't judge the PC competitive community, nor am I surprised about the way the meta developed. I think most Xbox players will downright shun PC competitive players simply because of the fact that their version of the game is flawed. But these players have been playing almost just as long as some of the hardcore Xbox players, and in their mind their version of the game is as real as it gets.

Remember that this port was released in a time before Youtube and before much of our beloved CE metagame was even established. The only reason that the PC metagame is so strange is because Xbox players veered away from it due to all the bugs - for which only Gearbox/Microsoft can be blamed.

So the metagame certainly isn't the same as on Xbox, but there certainly is metagame, though perhaps arguably not enough to sustain a healthy competitive population despite the fact that it's by far the most accessible version of the game.

The original vision of this project was to make the Xbox metagame possible on PC. I've succeeded, although there are still netcode imperfections that are out of my control. The goal here was never to get Xbox players or even MCC players on to PC, but to give a chance to PC players to experience what they've been missing all these years.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I raise issue with the fact that you think Gearbox did a great job porting this.

To be fair, and to argue semantics a little bit,

surprisingly decent

doesn't mean "great." It means playable. I did not use the word "great" or even "good" for a reason.

Relative to other console-to-PC ports, it's far more playable than most. A "perfect" console-to-PC port rarely, if ever, happens.

This project is evidence of the piss-poor job they did porting.

Technically speaking, as Halo 1 had no official online play, there was no online code for Gearbox to port.

The deterministic networking used in the LAN code would not suffice for a shooter over the internet. You get one bad connection in a game of 16 on bloodgulch with all vehicles, and everybody lags and/or the game disconnects (or whatever happens in lockstep) as every client is carrying every other client's weight. It would be especially problematic during the then-current age of transitioning out of 56k.

To resolve this they built an entirely new network infrastructure to handle this load. And it just so happened to be garbage. Why they did it makes sense, but their execution was terrible.

This restoration project is not built around a "ported" feature, but rather the garbage online support Gearbox added.

Unless of course you're referring to something entirely different when you use the word "port."

PC has a comp. community but since the meta is different (due to stuff like powerups off timing) the play style is another thing too, with aim taking a higher place for example. It's mostly 4v4 TS & CTF. You push as a team but not necessarily for powerups or power weapons but for a flag cap or a kill.

/edit: which is why I don't prefer it since it's 1. kind of shallow compared to Xbox meta 2. my aim's been declining since I was 16 lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honest question: Do competitive players ever hold tournaments for this game on PC? How many competitive players would you say are on it?

Relative to Xbox, I would say the competitive community on PC is much smaller.

There's nothing wrong with 4v4 either, it's just the spawns are not very good and some of the maps are too small. MLG Halo 1 was fun to watch 4v4, and we had a tournament last year on MCC among some of the better players in the community 4v4. The interest is there. But I still find the meta to be much superior on Xbox in 4v4. Bugs in the code, bad netcode, and most importantly unpredictable powerup timers harm the meta greatly on PC regardless of what mode you are playing.

Anyway, if we're gonna call Halo PC a decent port, then H1 MCC (at launch) must be considered a "decent" port too...

Alright I'll give PC some credit, there wasn't any anti-aim, and there were dedis, heh.

These days tournaments only get hosted like once a year, by people who don't speak English, but I don't know or really care about it. It's mostly just scrimming (and bragging rights I guess?)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honest question: Do competitive players ever hold tournaments for this game on PC? How many competitive players would you say are on it?

there were tournaments back in the day, yes. nothing huge or official, but they existed. I knew multiple people who competed. even with it's flaws, the competitive community for PC in it's prime was fairly big. not nearly as big as H2 which was released same year and was the new hotness, but pretty big.

these days, there's no real tournaments. I'd guess there's at least four or five servers that have people playing fairly seriously. you'll usually catch it in sniper servers and sometimes, more rarely, in standard slayer servers.

Anyway, if we're gonna call Halo PC a decent port, then H1 MCC (at launch) must be considered a "decent" port too...

no. H1 MCC at launch was a massive degradation from what PC offered stuck behind a monthly paywall and proprietary hardware.

PC added features that positively affected the game's longevity. The game's been out since 2003, same year as H2 Xbox, and 1k+ people are still playing it daily.

GB broke the game's tick rate (I.E. awkward spawn times, admittedly a pretty bad bug) and broke some visuals, but added actual official online multiplayer networking (albeit broken), user-hosted dedis, a server browser, etc etc, and most importantly, an editing kit packed with Bungie's development tools. by giving the users this kind of power and releasing it on an open platform like Windows, people like Stunt are able to rekindle a competitively viable experience and fix the game's issues.

that's why I say the port is "decent." while the new features GB added are broken and new bugs were introduced, they've granted the users the power to mod in fixes/hack in fixes/work around them.

comparatively, MCC at launch was nearly a 1:1 port of PC with some console features restored and PC features stripped out. they added new cosmetic features and restored non-binary walking speed and split-screen (with a broken FOV), but stripped out the server browser in favor of their then-broken matchmaking, stripped out any and all support for mods, and introduced warping and anti-aim because PC's netcode apparently doesn't support walking speeds. it wasn't until they started improving the network code and patching the matchmaking when the game offered something worthwhile PC didn't already offer. with each fix, new bugs cropped up. even now, it could still be improved upon.

with the nature of the closed platform, users will never be able to fix the problems that exist in H1 MCC.

for me, personally, if it came down to PC or MCC, I'll stick with PC

• Upvote (+1) 1

Let me put it like this. Bungie made the perfect steak. When Gearbox tried to make the same Bungie-style steak, it was severely overcooked. But they included a ton of great side-dishes that weren't included with Bungie's steak.

The main course is still fucked.

Of course, some plebs like their steaks charred to a crisp so they kept going back to the Gearbox steakhouse. Others tried it once and never came back.

Then 343 opened a steakhouse across the street selling scraps they picked out of Gearbox's dumpster.

Good analogy, lol.

And mookz, I'm talking more about the unmodded game. Gearbox was lazy. If the game's population was more dead then mod tools would not have been able to save it. They are lucky it was Halo, a franchise built successfully and hyped up by the excellent Xbox version, because without that it's safe to say not nearly as many people would have bought or stuck around on Halo PC without its name brand recognition. Custom Edition was not released till much later in its life.

Seven months is a fairly big gap, but I wouldn't say it was much later in it's life. A huge feature like a full-fledged editing kit would take a long time to polish up for distribution. Honestly, they should have released with it from the start.

PC: September 30, 2003
CE: March 15, 2004

It's true without a doubt a game should not be left broken and to rot. GB never fixed the issues in their netcode, and shame on them for it. Their patches never fixed any of the game breaking issues. The only patch that "fixed" anything was Bungie's 2014 patch to allow them to host the main server internally when Gamespy was going down.

It's hard to say what the population would look like today if mods weren't in the picture. By turning off custom maps in the filter, the population right now is a bit smaller.

6c98dd24b2.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's how to change the in-game text to match the xbox a little more.

hIzjHVn.jpg

3u7OiBB.jpg

First, set up your xpadder so the X and Y buttons on your keyboard map to your controller:

lwq44X3.png

Then set your gamepad settings in game to this:

WZmQ3CE.png

XafgtQw.png

And finally set your keyboard settings to this:

LTTgoMO.png

Z8yu7UR.png

Not the most complicated of changes, but one of those little things that always bothered me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Cool idea. We looked into getting the actual button prompts back in, but it seems that it would be wayyyyy more trouble than it's worth, and it may not even have worked out. 

UPDATE 06/07/2016:

Believe it or not the Halo 1.5 PC project is coming to a close and I will be releasing all the map ports as well as the server configuration files to the public. Within the next few weeks, we will be putting together a promotional video which will include some snazzy flythroughs of the new maps as well as some in-game footage.

This is not to be confused with the Halo PC Final project (ex: Xbox versions of the default maps), which is also coming to a close but will be released after the Halo 1.5 map ports.

We are accepting capture gameplay footage from all members of this group. Here are the minimum requirements for submissions:

• Clips recorded must be from gameplay that takes place in one of the Good Maps Ya Fucks servers.
  • Footage must be recorded in 1920x1080 and maintain a minimum of 30 FPS (video will be capped at 30 FPS).
  • FOV must be between 90-105. Use the HAC2 console command "fov #"
  • Controller & Mouse/keyboard footage will be accepted. Your control scheme will be identified in the final video with a small message in the bottom corner of the screen.
  • NO config.txt file modifications. No DART. Turn it off if you want to get in the video.
  • Gameplay should be recorded on the new maps. They include Crossway, Madhouse, Exhibit, Redshift, Hotbox, Decidia, Levee, Downrush, Doubletake, Imminent, Outbound, Zerohour & Uplift. Yes I know some of these aren't in the mapcycle yet, but they soon will be Beyond%20Smiley.png
  • Gameplay clips should NOT use Youtube-level compression. Upload your files to dropbox or something. We will not be accepting streaming links unless the clip can be downloaded and isn't too lossy.
If you have clips that are recorded on the Xbox versions of default maps, hold onto them! We'll be doing the same deal when we promote the Halo PC Final project's release.

Here are some guidelines that will improve your chances of making the final cut:

• All settings on HIGH.
  • Controller gameplay.
  • No laggy/warpy/questionable network-related situations.
  • HAC2's Custom Chat ON.
Your in-game name will be displayed alongside your control scheme at the bottom of the clip. This will be handled during editing.

PM your submissions to me directly (in Discord), and ask your questions in the #halo_pc_general channel (or in this thread).

• Upvote (+1) 3

Would be cool to have more regular players. Don't be afraid to ask for games in the Discord chat. :)

Wow, that smiley is creepy.

Lets say I made a map for this mod....any chance of getting newer H1 maps in or is this aiming to replicate the H1.5 experience only?

Lets say I made a map for this mod....any chance of getting newer H1 maps in or is this aiming to replicate the H1.5 experience only?

If a map is tuned for competitive 2v2 play I will consider it for the map cycle. As of now, the only custom maps that meet this criteria are the Halo 1.5 maps.

4v4 maps will be considered for a new "pilot" server

• Upvote (+1) 2

If a map is tuned for competitive 2v2 play I will consider it for the map cycle. As of now, the only custom maps that meet this criteria are the Halo 1.5 maps.

4v4 maps will be considered for a new "pilot" server

Sounds good.

Shits looking really good since I last played. Y'all have done an awesome job on this.