Moa

MLG Sold To Activision

Pretty sure that's because the MLG.tv contract was bound to expired and the Twitch viewership was more attractive than staying with MLG.tv. I doubt he was told anything at that point in time.

Ah I see.

after reading the article it doesn't sound like a sell but a take over. 

i wonder if Adam had any info on this. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Crazy to think i went to tournaments and even worked as a ref one event back in 2005-2007. I met so many people back then and had so many good times. They grew MLG into something amazing! 46 Million. Sad to see the end of it. Now my question is what happens to HCS?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wait, what happened to the Yahoo deal? And does this mean that Activision owns the Final Boss brand :-/

Hopefully they never followed the scene and will sell the FB brand to beyond for a milkshake or something so we can get some sweet FB merchandise :bman:

I've been a long-time entrepreneur and I've gotta say, I'm shocked at the incredibly low valuation... ($46 million).  That is a minuscule amount for a brand as recognizable as MLG in a space with a market cap as high as gaming. There's got to be a lot of debt involved and a horrible team running the organization.

Seems like a great buy for Activision/Blizzard, but I'm a bit alarmed by what that means for the future. That's like having a company that produces soccer balls come in and buyout the NFL. It poses all kinds of conflicts of interest.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's like having a company that produces soccer balls come in and buyout the NFL.  It poses all kinds of conflicts of interest.

Thats a pretty dreadful analogy. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Activision monopolizing more things. I'm not a fan of this change (if true).

I've been a long-time entrepreneur and I've gotta say, I'm shocked at the incredibly low valuation... ($46 million). That is a minuscule amount for a brand as recognizable as MLG in a space with a market cap as high as gaming. There's got to be a lot of debt involved and a horrible team running the organization.

Seems like a great buy for Activision/Blizzard, but I'm a bit alarmed by what that means for the future. That's like having a company that produces soccer balls come in and buyout the NFL. It poses all kinds of conflicts of interest.

Price seems fine to me since ESL is valued at double, something around 85m and they are twice as big as MLG.

Activision monopolizing more things. I'm not a fan of this change (if true).

Monopolizing's worked for Riot Games so far. :/

I hate it and the direction they drive their narrative, but it's working.

Monopolizing's worked for Riot Games so far. :/

I hate it and the direction they drive their narrative, but it's working.

True, true.

Don't the major shareholders/a board have to approve something like this? I'd be majorly pissed if I wasn't notified.

Also I'd be curious to know if Sunny made the decision to leave or if him being replaced was a shock because if Activision made the decision to remove him it's more cause to hate them for me.

Don't the major shareholders/a board have to approve something like this? I'd be majorly pissed if I wasn't notified.

Also I'd be curious to know if Sunny made the decision to leave or if him being replaced was a shock because if Activision made the decision to remove him it's more cause to hate them for me.

They said they had a board meeting on the 21st. Obviously the board approved it.

They said they had a board meeting on the 21st. Obviously the board approved it.

Damn you're right, my fault for skim reading badly.

Hard to imagine Activision and MLG still being involved with HWC, isn't that a huge conflict of interest for them?

I assume that it was either continue to build debt and hope things improve, go bankrupt, or make a sale. The article reads as if they sold off the assets and some liabilities to Activision and most of the sale price will go to settle those liabilities. It sounds that ultimately the board didn't think they could turn it around. The ESL deal probably was a big factor in what the board decided.

The removal of Sundance makes sense. Considering the company (now MLG Legacy Holdings, Inc.) will most likely not be functioning in any "game" related capacity, it doesn't make sense for him to remain on as CEO. All they will be doing is following through with the "carve-out plan" which is much more suited to a CFO (Greg Chisholm).

I'd say MLG became to dependent on CoD (Activision), which is ironic when you considering the dependency relationship of MLG and Halo over the years.

This whole time, Activision was like the puppet master pulling on MLG's ball hairs to make it dance.

Also, I found the bolded line interesting;

Stockholders in this category include Treehouse Capital LLC, Ritchie Opportunistic Trading Ltd., Oak Investment Partners, and Legion Capital Investments LLC—managed by Mike Sepso, co-founder of MLG and current senior vice president of esports at Activision Blizzard.