Moa

MLG Sold To Activision

Activision Blizzard has officially acquired Major League Gaming for a rumored (not confirmed) $40 million. No specifics / official comments on the sale price has been released at this time.

6324.jpg

MLG Co Founder and CEO: Sundance DiGiovanni told Polygon the following: 

"There will be no layoffs and we actually have a pretty extensive expansion plan in the works".

https://twitter.com/MLGSundance/status/684134486775300096

CEO of Activision Blizzard commented stating

"This addition to the esports focused media networks is part of the company's overall plan to create the ESPN of eSports". 

"MLG's ability to create premium content, its proven broadcast technology platform — including its live streaming capabilities - strengthens our strategic position in competitive gaming. MLG has an incredibly strong and seasoned team and a thriving community," Kotick said in a prepared statement. "Together, we will create new ways to celebrate players and their unique skills, dedication and commitment to gaming. We are excited to add Sundance and the entire MLG esports team to our competitive gaming initiatives."

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I mean we still have Twitch, Youtube Gaming, and ESL. Seeing how CSGO events are still happening I assume MLG and HWC are still a thing as well

Inb4 the official mlg website is purged again and all of the old articles/images/information is erased

Wait, what happened to the Yahoo deal? And does this mean that Activision owns the Final Boss brand :-/

Final Boss Candy Crush DLC confirmed?!?

If the MLG store still exists, they'll probably still sell the same stuff there. If not, it'll probably die.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wouldn't be surprised if Activision owns everything associated with MLG now. Given the price it went at (their post val was somethin like $80m)...sounds like there were some debt problems and the investors wanted out. But looking back it's crazy to think how different the competitive scene has grown since the early/mid-2000s MLG glory years.

Sucks to be an MLG rank-and-file employee though... unless there was something like a separate employee bonus pool pretty much anyone who had common is basically fucked.

Maybe this is a chance for people like Lethul to get his forum ban lifted if a ton of shit gets purged lol

Makes sense why formal switched to streaming on Twitch instead of MLG like last month.

Pretty sure that's because the MLG.tv contract was bound to expired and the Twitch viewership was more attractive than staying with MLG.tv. I doubt he was told anything at that point in time.

Sad day if true, so many fond memories, friend made, events went to and watched from 2005-2012. 17%20premium%20CRY.png

J5NRt.jpg

Also, we aren't partnered with them anymore (haven't been for awhile) for those curious.

• Upvote (+1) 8

"I got fucked on stock" said an anonymous source. Wow, some quality reporting there.

Makes more sense why Puckett and Sepso left to Activision earlier this year now. Much respect to Sundance and company for building something out of nothing though its surprising they lasted this long as an independent entity. Prayers to anyone who works for MLG though.

I'm pretty amazed that they managed to increase their value that much.

Too bad though, even though I hadn't watched MLG for a few years I was always hoping that they would eventually pick up Halo again.  Too bad 343 happened.

Someone tell Billy & Brad that they are back in business

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3