FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Evolved Customs Thread

In principle I agree with Vinny, but there is a line we have to walk between perfect competitive balance and intuitive design.  Unfortunately, many of 343's decisions are irreversible without feeling extremely out of place and offputting.  I would file a flagnum nerf under the latter.

The flag carrier having rockets or snipe is rare. You're talking about situations with obvious answers. I'm talking about situations without obvious answers that define individuals through gameplay. Flagnum ruins this.

It doesn't though. It really doesn't I can literally go and find dozens of scenarios over the past few weeks of gameplay where someone, including myself has dropped the flag, killed someone, and kept running for a flag capture. It's honestly more rare for situation to occur when the flag guy is destroying people as he's making his way across the map. That situation has happened significantly less than the former.

It's not that I don't believe in classic style flag. If we had the option, sure, why not give a try? I'd hella be down for that. My argument is completely against nerfing the pistol to 0% or even a 5sk for that matter. Because ike Hard Way just mentioned, it's an unintuitive; which makes for a bad design.

[Moved from the other thread]

Are there any drawbacks to using Assault almost exclusively over CTF? I haven't heard anyone raving about the gametype, but hopefully that's because it's "eh" in default settings and not because something's broken, like the spawns. It doesn't have the Flagnum, so that problem is nipped in the bud.

A well-tuned Assault gametype could be a selling point of the Evolved settings.

I don't know about almost exclusively, Assault has it's pros and cons and so does flag. They each have their own dynamic to gameplay, they don't play similar at all. But on the other hand, we definitely play a significant amount of Assault during our sessions. I recently made some adjustments to Shiftspace to fix/add assault on there and that map in general is very fast paced. I feel like it would be extremely enjoyable on that map.

If anything, we would love to premiere oddball more than anything. I feel like that's the gametype that hasn't gotten the light of day in Halo 5. It would be great to showcase some Oddball on some interesting maps. The one stipulation is that it cannot be on a map that has an Assault gametype set up for it. Otherwise we would have to duplicate the map, re-do the spawns, and make it specifically for Oddball.

Yeah, I am not opposed to using a Classic Flag instead of the Flagnum either.

The issue is that we don't have that option, and that nerfing the Flagnum would be extremely non-intuitive.

It doesn't break gameplay that much at all, it just blurs the line between Objective player and Slaying player. That could be argued to be just why the Flagnum is bad, but it really is not an issue at all, especially when you consider the options that we are stuck with.

...And I didn't really think about Oddball being stuck using Assault spawns. That actually explains a lot now...

Yeah it's really dumb, this is what I was explaining to everyone in the Discord yesterday after I got done explaining all the maps fixes I made. It's dumb because the labels for Assault and Oddball are exactly the same, so you can't use Oddball unless you want static spawns, which doesn't make any sense for Oddball  :laughing:

Terrible design decision imo, just creates more work. Technically, yes we can make them work, the workaround for it is to just re-do the spawns on the map to dynamic and save the map as a separate map altogether. Tedious, but doable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah it's really dumb, this is what I was explaining to everyone in the Discord yesterday after I got done explaining all the maps fixes I made. It's dumb because the labels for Assault and Oddball are exactly the same, so you can't use Oddball unless you want static spawns, which doesn't make any sense for Oddball  :laughing:

Terrible design decision imo, just creates more work. Technically, yes we can make them work, the workaround for it is to just re-do the spawns on the map to dynamic and save the map as a separate map altogether. Tedious, but doable.

In the name of the great game that is oddball, it must be done.  I have yet to play oddball in the evolved settings but have really wanted to.  What you are describing above must be why no party leaders are selecting oddball. 

Wish we could have the classic three oddball gametype too.  Used to play that on C.E. and it was a blast. 

<begin rant>IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE CALLED BOMB IN ASSAULT AND BALL IN ODDBALL 343!!!!!!</end rant> 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I thought Team Beyond was against edgy settings because they split the community? These aren't really "classic" settings, it's more some classic elements jumbled together with some forge kiddies idea of what makes a good gametype.

• Downvote (-1) 8

I thought Team Beyond was against edgy settings because they split the community? These aren't really "classic" settings, it's more some classic elements jumbled together with some forge kiddies idea of what makes a good gametype.

I'd love to see you elaborate on what you feel is bad, instead of just coming in and calling these people that have put in this much effort "kiddies".

• Upvote (+1) 3

What makes a good game type? And have you played them yet? Honest question...

• Upvote (+1) 2

TB is against bad settings. The ideal you may be getting confused is that competitive settings should be the vanilla settings, as good competitive settings appeal to casual gamers, but settings that purposely try to lower the skill gap are rarely good for competitive settings. TB does not want to play bad settings, we want good settings to be the norm for everyone. 

example: A good utility weapon. Competitive gamers want to be able to kill people when they see them. And guess what? most casual gamers do too. So having a halo ce pistol as a starting weapon appeals to both, but for some reason bungie gave us a shit starting weapon in both h2-hr (tho the h2 br was accidentally fixed).

Do you have some actual critique to offer or are you just here to be condescending and contribute nothing?

• Upvote (+1) 3

What makes a good game type? And have you played them yet? Honest question...

Kell is actually a friend of mine... My beef with the settings is the slow kill times which are exacerbated by amped up strafe acceleration. I've advised Kell to drop it down to 120 Strafe Acceleration at most, but as is, with 130, it's too much.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Kell is actually a friend of mine... My beef with the settings is the slow kill times which are exacerbated by amped up strafe acceleration. I've advised Kell to drop it down to 120 Strafe Acceleration at most, but as is, with 130, it's too much.

Are you aware that the Magnum is a 4sk in these settings and that the average kill time is actually too fast for our liking even with the god strafe?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Those are the Old School settings, this thread is for the Evolved settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1fLFou5Ehc

smartan i watched vetoed gameplay of the midship remake,shiftspace and when i try to download the evolved  gametype it says the file does not exist or was deleted?

smartan i watched vetoed gameplay of the midship remake,shiftspace and when i try to download the evolved gametype it says the file does not exist or was deleted?

I am not sure. They should work. I had a similar issue earlier today with the maps. Have you tried downloading them directly from my file share? Under Files, not Bookmarks.

I am not sure. They should work. I had a similar issue earlier today with the maps. Have you tried downloading them directly from my file share? Under Files, not Bookmarks.

tried it yesterday said it had error saving bookmark.will retry today

Why don't you educate us kiddies, friend, what would make the settings truly classic?

No sprint, thrust, spartan charge, ground pound, shorter ttk and a decent movement and strafe is classic as Halo get's buddy.  

And how are you supposed to go about fixing this broken ass game without splitting the community?  There will always be idiots that couldn't tell good settings from a shoe in their ass.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't make good settings and play them and actually have fun playing the game.  

These past two weeks of playing customs with these settings has been the funnest I've had with Halo 5. Period. Funnest I've had in Halo in general since Reach post bloom.   

• Upvote (+1) 3

That remake of Sanctuary we play was beautiful AF but it did have pretty bad frame-rate issues.   It also had a ton of power weapons.   Not as many pistol battles as one would like.   The spawns seemed really great for a map that has a bad history of atrocious spawn trapping.  Sucks you couldn't get to Ring 3. 

Does any one know why maps and gametypes weren't loading from Deucy's account last night?  Did he delete them?   Hopefully they are backed up on multiple other accounts.   

Has anyone tried tweeting at people from 343 about possibly getting these settings in a playlist or is it too early?  I'd love to see these settings in a playlist so much!  

Hey my GT is reapers revival. Hit me up with an invite for these type of customs oh and my friend FD Saint he loved these.

Had fun playing with you dude.  You were cracking me up last night.  Especially when you were recalling your epic doubles game and the failed ninja. 

Is there a Discord or anything where you can just hang out in server/chat and someone will let everyone know that games are about to go down or ask if people want to get games together? I would love for this to happen if it hasn't already as there is no way I would be on Halo 5 other than to try these settings out.