Sign in to follow this  
Spartan0S36

Coleco Releases New Console, The Chameleon

Coleco%20Chameleon-970-80.jpg

Fashion is cyclical, and apparently, so is gaming. Coleco, the long-lost video game pioneer and creator of the ColecoVision, is putting out its first console in nearly three decades.

The Coleco Chameleon is just as retro in function as Coleco is in name, as it's going to play games exclusively on cartridges, a format that's been abandoned in favor of disks on game consoles.

Coleco appears to have made its console a reality after a team-up with Retro Video Game Systems. Retro VGS recently launched an Indiegogo campaign to fund making a modern console of its own, and while the original pitch fell short of its monetary goals, it seemed to attract Coleco's attention.

I think this can chalk up to be an unexpected turn of events for a failed Indiegogo. Perhaps one of the most surprising. Hopefully the unused remains of a doomed to die console (Atari Jaguar, outer shell) don't cloud perception. Please, whoever greenlit this, don't kick someone when they're already down. Let this count.

Source.

Struggle to see a reason to purchase when I can just emulate anything that dated fairly easily and for free. Don't really see the draw to new games in that format.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Struggle to see a reason to purchase when I can just emulate anything that dated fairly easily and for free. Don't really see the draw to new games in that format.

it makes sense if you already have a collection of physical games, or if you're a retro game nut

emulating is good enough for me however

if i ever were to buy a new retro console i'd get the retron 5

41xm-o43dzL.jpg

Yeah I think Indie developers need an independent platform after the OUYA project lead scammed everyone.

I don't get why all the better Gaming Kickstarters go to the dogs. I was looking forward to the Arduboy, but of course the project head doesn't understand that you need to set up shipping and handling before even releasing a product, or delays bottleneck the whole manufacturing process.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903888394/arduboy-card-sized-gaming