Sign in to follow this  
Beryl AU

What are your Aim Settings for Halo 5: Guardians?

I find it funny that nobodys sticking to 343's default settings, but I find it more funny that just about everyone here who was complaining about it being slow is actually lowering their numbers rather than raising them.. seems to go against what everyone was claiming with the aim issues.

Regardless, different people will find different levels of success. I could imagine some people would prefer to lower their sensitivities and increase their acceleration speed, while others turn their sens up real high and lower the acceleration.

Now on all of the other Halos I play on 4 - 5. With Halo 5, because of how slow, and clunky the aiming was originally, I had to bump it up to 7, and my shot became pretty good.

I now moved it down to 5 sensitivity, 1 aim acceleration, 0% deadzones. This feels much better, much closer to the other Halo games.

So yes, I moved my sensitivity down, only because I had to move it up in the first place to remain competitive.

See, this is what I'm talking about. I thought accel was the way he mentions it. But without thorough testing it could be like mdawg's theory. The question is whether the initial speed is your sensitivity and then accel kicks it up or if your sensitivity is your max accel speed and the initial speed is lowered based on accel. Lol this is funny.

Well, all we have to do is spin around at 1 sensitivity and 5 acceleration, and then 10 sensitivity and 5 acceleration to see if you'll ever spin as fast on 1, as you will on 10.

Then the question will be answered.

This makes 0 sense to me because I can set 10 sens 3 (default) aim accel and then up the aim accel 5 and I it moves faster initially and then I can drop it to 1 and it clearly starts me out slower than 10.

Also if 5 is supposedly very little aim accel then it shouldn't "accelerate" me to the same speeds that I am at with max aim accel (1). This is why I'm not comprehending what you are saying lol. It defies all common sense of what aim acceleration and sensitivity are in games for me. xD

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this until we get (if we ever get) clarification from 343.

No, this is what Tactics is saying.

You never go slower than your sensitivity, sensitivity is your base stat, aim acceleration is how quickly your aim accelerates. 5 is maximum acceleration, and 1 is minimum acceleration.

And acceleration does not increase your maximum aiming speed, you just reach it faster.

@@Tactics

Am'iright?

You never go slower than your sensitivity, sensitivity is your base stat, aim acceleration is how quickly your aim accelerates. 5 is maximum acceleration, and 1 is minimum acceleration.

And acceleration does not increase your maximum aiming speed, you just reach it faster.

@@Tactics

Am'iright?

So with an aim acceleration of 1, you are gradually increasing towards whatever your max aiming speed is? Isn't that bad and something you should avoid since you want to have constant aiming speed at all times. 

@@Tactics

Am'iright?

No, what he means is that your initial speed is your actual sensitivity. Your acceleration (1-5) determines how fast you reach the max secondary speed.

So with an aim acceleration of 1, you are gradually increasing towards whatever your max aiming speed is? Isn't that bad and something you should avoid since you want to have constant aiming speed at all times. 

Perhaps, but having your aim acceleration so low, you wont really notice it going up in a typical gun battle, if you have a twitchy shot in short bursts, your reticle speed should theoretically be more consistent.

I'm definitely going to have to test this when I get home from work. I'm currently on 5 sens with 1 accel, I'm going to try 4 sens with 5 accel and see if that's better.

No, what he means is that your initial speed is your actual sensitivity. Your acceleration (1-5) determines how fast you reach the max secondary speed.

..... Isn't that essentially what I just said?

@@Tactics

Am'iright?

Yes

Ok, I don't know how quantifiable this is but I feel like higher accel gives you more aim assist. When I play on 4 sens 1 accel I notice that my reticle tends to stick a lot less. When I bump it up to 5 accel I feel like the game is aiming for me. I hope to get some thorough testing done today so I'll update to see if this is just placebo, but it's really strange.

Ok, I don't know how quantifiable this is but I feel like higher accel gives you more aim assist. When I play on 4 sens 1 accel I notice that my reticle tends to stick a lot less. When I bump it up to 5 accel I feel like the game is aiming for me. I hope to get some thorough testing done today so I'll update to see if this is just placebo, but it's really strange.

It probably is some kind of placebo effect, but I got the exact same feeling when I went from sens 4/2 accel to sens 3/5 accel yesterday.

@@Jawshe I dont think so. at lest not in terms of aim acceleration, and there seem to be a lot of people here that agree.

the "Pegging" is how 343 described it, and how you are explaining it is exactly what i thought too after reading the article they wrote. 

But if you do some experimenting you can tell just by feel that is not the case.  If you keep the sensitivity the same but futz around with the acceleration, your aim will increase speed faster or slower even if you are only deflecting the stick halfway to "pegged".  This is with deadzones at 0/0 for consistency.

Your description sounds right based on 343s article, but there are a lot of people here with a shitton of halo time that have done a bunch of experimentation with this, myself included, that can tell that's not the case.

Edit: Where's @@Sal1ent to give is a more lengthy "technical" explanation of the system than what they posted on the waypoint blog?

@@Jawshe I dont think so. at lest not in terms of aim acceleration, and there seem to be a lot of people here that agree.

the "Pegging" is how 343 described it, and how you are explaining it is exactly what i thought too after reading the article they wrote. 

But if you do some experimenting you can tell just by feel that is not the case.  If you keep the sensitivity the same but futz around with the acceleration, your aim will increase speed faster or slower even if you are only deflecting the stick halfway to "pegged".  This is with deadzones at 0/0 for consistency.

Your description sounds right based on 343s article, but there are a lot of people here with a shitton of halo time that have done a bunch of experimentation with this, myself included, that can tell that's not the case.

Edit: Where's @@Sal1ent to give is a more lengthy "technical" explanation of the system than what they posted on the waypoint blog?

Draw a circle with your reticle without touching the outer edges (pegging), on 1 Accel. Then try the same thing on 5 Accel. Both are exactly the same.

Draw a circle with your reticle without touching the outer edges (pegging), on 1 Accel. Then try the same thing on 5 Accel. Both are exactly the same.

Do a similar thing but just deflecting your stick halfway to the left and right and wait a second.  Its not the same.

Lets be real:  None of this fucking matters.  We are all going to just have to play with it until it feels oh-so-good

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thats the thing - theres no objectively "best" setting.

Like I said in my post, it all depends on your sens and if you like to be a "steady" aimer or a "twitchy" aimer.

Deadzones also adversely affect that way your accel settings feel, but not everyone can have the same deadzones because everyone's controller is different.

Either way, I think those who usually use a high sens would benefit with their aiming by lowering their sens and then raising their Accel. Just my two cents. 

Like I said in my post, it all depends on your sens and if you like to be a "steady" aimer or a "twitchy" aimer.

Deadzones also adversely affect that way your accel settings feel, but not everyone can have the same deadzones because everyone's controller is different.

Either way, I think those who usually use a high sens would benefit with their aiming by lowering their sens and then raising their Accel. Just my two cents. 

10 sens 5 acc is objectively the best

right, and its hard to tell what setting works for you after playing for only a few games.  I'm putting together a list to try.  My controller is good so deadzones are at 0/0 but i was thing for Sense/Accel:

2/5

3/4

3/5

4/1

4/2

5/1

6/1

I know i can skip even trying 3 acc. since thats been the default since launch and it sucks.  Any sense over 6 is just too much for my fat thumbs

snip

Yes this is what I was trying to say but you explained it much better lol. Both have the same max speed when spinning in a circle (ala doing a 180 to shoot someone behind you), and 1 aim accel makes this very sluggish, 5 is smooth with no jumpiness. 1 aim accel just makes you reach top speed (the 0-60 analogy) very slow compared to 5.

That's why personally I've found the most comfort with 5 aim accel and a 2 sens. Still able to aim at a distance but it gives me the ability to track people smoothly without the ramp up time and subsequent jumping that I've felt since the launch of the game. :)

Edit: and the more I played today the more I like 5 sens and 5 aim accel.

Good post @@Jawshe

I was hitting my shots last night and my aim felt better after I played with the settings. 

Right now I am using 4sens, 0% deadzones.

Still trying to figure out the Accel but last night I had it on 2 and it felt great. 

which settings gets your aim as close to h1 as possible?

Just started trying to find this as well. I play on 5 in CE. Right now I have 7 sens, 1 acceleration, and 0 dead zones. Feels good after just getting off the mcc but Idk if it's just in my head at this point. Let me know if you have better suggestions

Edit: bumped acceleration up to 2 and it feels pretty sweet right now

Yea, I have been testing the control settings for the past 2 days and at first I thought I was set on 3.....then I played 2 and yea I my shot is sexy smooth. 5 accel to compensate for the low sense and I have slow turn. Also inner at 0% and outer at 9%. I have been playing around with outer for a bit and I realized that it is best to just stick to a percentage, even default if you dont care, and just play on. I noticed that if you play around the setting to much , you actually start to play worse, not because you lack skill, but because you focus too much on the settings. Most likely when I get a new controller, I will have to tweak the outer dead zone a bit if it comes as no-slow.

So, I mainly play cod competitively and play Halo on the side. For consistency purposes, I'm guessing 5 accel would be similar to cod aiming?