Sign in to follow this  
Beryl AU

What are your Aim Settings for Halo 5: Guardians?

Why 0 on the outer deadzone?

In effect you'll do 180s slower.

lmao is that what happen? Huh, I guess I'll put that to default or should I put it on max?

Okay I've had a proper feel of the new settings. First things first,

The aiming isnt fixed.

The new settings are great, and they give us immense control that we've never had in Halo before. The problem with the aiming is, quite glaringly, the sensitivity calibration. Especially at max tilt. Unfortunately they'll never change that, but at least now with the settings its gone from awful to bearable.

I've found the most comfortable for me is 8 sens 1 acc. I was trying out 10 sense for a bit but long range is just too figety, and because xbox controllers are less tensile, it's easy for them to go spastic.

And I don't mind the aim acceleration. Because the aiming is so sluggish the aim acceleration actually speeds up turning which can really help spinning around and such. It's absolutely nothing like Halo 3, I could play on 10 sens and 5 acc and it really wouldnt be much of a handicap, I would only have to position myself differently to compensate.

I agree, im done with this game unlesd they fix the aiming or change it back to the beta

very curious ... how are people a fan of 1 accel?  this is like H3 levels, incredibly sluggish ... doing a 180 takes about ten seconds.  

very curious ... how are people a fan of 1 accel?  this is like H3 levels, incredibly sluggish ... doing a 180 takes about ten seconds.  

what look sens are you using? try 5 or 6

what look sens are you using? try 5 or 6

I usually use 4, upped it to 6/7 with 1 accel ... felt very sluggish, though if so many people are a fan I may try it for more games, maybe I just need to get used to it

I usually use 4, upped it to 6/7 with 1 accel ... felt very sluggish, though if so many people are a fan I may try it for more games, maybe I just need to get used to it

I disagree, use what feels best. If 5 accel 3/4 sens works for you, go for it. What I use is probably not for everyone and what they use isn't for everyone. Try what feels most natural to you. I'd say play an octagon game or two and see how it is in each setting

lmao is that what happen? Huh, I guess I'll put that to default or should I put it on max?

put it on whatever feels best but he's right, 15% deadzones makes it so you hit full stick deflection faster, which I guess kicks in the aim acceleration faster. Haven't tested but I thought I felt it lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

put it on whatever feels best but he's right, 15% deadzones makes it so you hit full stick deflection faster, which I guess kicks in the aim acceleration faster. Haven't tested but I thought I felt it lol.

you also decrease the potential travelway being recognized from your stick which makes your aiming less precise as the angle you peg is interpolated more

so 0% would be the best pick but requires a perfect controller housing with no plastic production error around the analog sticks so you can make use out of the true 100% travelway of your analogsticks

as for the inner zone 0% would theoretically also be the best too but requires a stick that is perfectly centered and not lose which probably is hard to get as otherwise your micromovement will feel very off and boosted

i heard from lots of people that their brand new controller aleady came with somewhat lose analogsticks

(maybe a good pick for those with the xbox elite controller)

this also means that the settings of a certain person might not work for another person because of their controllers being different

btw i fully expected 343i to get rid of the velocity jump, i guess their "pro team" made them change their mind once more

that or it was way more work to be done in order to achieve that as intially expected

• Upvote (+1) 1

you also decrease the potential travelway being recognized from your stick which makes your aiming less precise as the angle you peg is interpolated more

so 0% would be the best pick but requires a perfect controller housing with no plastic production error around the analog sticks so you can make use out of the true 100% travelway of your analogsticks

as for the inner zone 0% would theoretically be the best too but requires a stick that is perfectly centered and not lose which probably is hard to get as otherwise your micromovement will feel very off and boosted

i heard from lots of people that their brand new controller aleady came with somewhat lose analogsticks

(maybe a good pick for those with the xbox elite controller)

btw i fully expected 343i to get rid of the velocity jump, i guess their "pro team" made them change their mind

that or it was way more work to be done in order to achieve that as intially expected

Did you see the post I made regarding what could potentially be velocity jump in UT3 on Xbox? I know we're worried about Halo, but it was pretty interesting. Especially since it went over UT3's aim acceleration option too. Anyway, you are right and for the most part I've been telling people online that minimum and maximum deadzones are more or less there to help you fix an issue than it is to fine tune the movement to how you like it. It's basically options to fix slow turn and controller drift 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did you see the post I made regarding what could potentially be velocity jump in UT3 on Xbox? I know we're worried about Halo, but it was pretty interesting. Especially since it went over UT3's aim acceleration option too. Anyway, you are right and for the most part I've been telling people online that minimum and maximum deadzones are more or less there to help you fix an issue than it is to fine tune the movement to how you like it. It's basically options to fix slow turn and controller drift 

pretty sure i read it but wouldnt mind to get a link to it to re-read it now :)

UT3 is probably in the top3 of the most weird look/aim mechanics of all console games, i think only CSGO is surpassing it in that regard lol

pretty sure i read it but wouldnt mind to get a link to it to re-read it now :)

UT3 is probably in the top3 of the most weird look/aim mechanics of all console games, i think only CSGO is surpassing it in that regard lol

Here you go! http://drstrangevolt.blogspot.com/2012/12/aim-acceleration-in-console-shooters-part2.html

There's a part one that explains what aim acceleration is and how they measure it. This part is cool because he's complied data on Halo's 1-4, Shadowrun, Quake Arena, UT3, RBS Vegas, and others. It's interesting to see how developers approach this mechanic, but the UT3 one is just insanity lol.

It would be really awesome to have this guy look into whats happening to Halo 5's aim.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played on 4 sens and left the deadzones default (10-12). I use a scuff and played awful last night. My aim was twirly and off. 

I will have to move the deadzones to 0 when I play tonight 

4 Sens

2 Aim Accel

4% Inner

10% Outer

I may change it, but it's what seems the best currently. I tried 0% deadzones, but it felt too windmilly in up close battles.

Edit: I changed my inner to 0% and outer to 9%. It feels better and I have more control with long distance shots.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm weird. 3 secs 5 aim accel. It feels slightly like how H2A did IMO.

That's what other players say too. You're not crazy there lol

I know it's down to preference but why are so many of you choosing 1 acc? Just wondering what you found the benefit to be, because I found 1 acc/4sens very sluggish.

People think 1 accel is h1/h2 aiming and are having a placebo effect. Happened to me at least lmao

Its so frustrating when you cant find the right balance and then you play like absolute trash and know something feels odd, but most of it is just mental. I remember watching Royal 2 last night and it felt that after every few deaths, he was messing around with his controller settings.

Question to you guys though: If I have a slight slow turn and can play on either 3 or 4 sense, inner is irrelevant right? and outer should be a bit above the default? Also, I thought that aim accel was inverse to look sense, so for example neighbor's 4 and 1 makes sense, but Snip3down's 3 and 5 didnt to me (I am just using these as examples).  

Its so frustrating when you cant find the right balance and then you play like absolute trash and know something feels odd, but most of it is just mental. I remember watching Royal 2 last night and it felt that after every few deaths, he was messing around with his controller settings.

Question to you guys though: If I have a slight slow turn and can play on either 3 or 4 sense, inner is irrelevant right? and outer should be a bit above the default? Also, I thought that aim accel was inverse to look sense, so for example neighbor's 4 and 1 makes sense, but Snip3down's 3 and 5 didnt to me (I am just using these as examples).  

Inner is for drift, set to zero and leave it if you don't get drift. Outer is for slow turn, increase it until the slow turn goes away. I've been fortunate not to see any slow turn on mine, so I have it set to 0 as well.

The sens/accel is very individual, but from what I've seen players like what feels most familiar to them. High Sens/Low Accel seems to be popular among h1/h2 players (most of 343's pro team for example). H2A/H4/Reach players will likely prefer Low Sense/High Accel. H3 players will probably go middle of the road like 4/3 or 3/4.

Edit: Should mention that I'm playing 3/5 /w 0% deadzones. Feels just like H2A to me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It seems like a lot of people are fundamentally misunderstanding the aim acceleration settings. There's a good chance a lot of you have it backwards.

Based on this post: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-advanced-controller-settings

• Aim acceleration 1: It takes the longest amount of time to reach top aiming speed. In other words, as you hold the joystick in one direction your speed is slowly increasing making it difficult to hit flick shots. In order to hit a flickshot you pretty much have to watch your reticle and have amazing or lucky timing. If you use this setting you love the speed of your reticle changing so much that you hardly ever want it to be constant.
  • Aim acceleration 5: Your turn speed reaches it's max almost instantly effectively making aim acceleration disappear. Flick shots can be learned and repeated since your muscle memory is much more important and there is no timing aspect to aiming. if you use this setting you hate aim acceleration and prefer your spartan to always aim/turn at the same speed.

For you guys that are trying 1 accel and a higher than normal sensitivity-- have you tried 5 accel and a lower sensitivity? 

i wonder how aim assist is affected by this new feature (still havent played since the patch has been released)

normaly more acceleration = more aim assist as its one of the key signals to activate and maintain it

i have some sort of feeling that 343i forgot about that and hasnt ballanced the aim assist to the different controller acceleration customizations, means with some settings you might have more aim control but less aim assist while with other settings you have almost no control but the aim assist snaps instantly and does the rest for you as it keeps you on target

the question now is what plays better, swype & snap or aim & adjust

Aim acceleration: 5
Sensitivity: 2
Inner deadzone: 0%
Outer deadzone 12%

Feelsgoodman

Super responsive, super smooth. The lower the aim accel setting the mushier the controls feel to me, I hate it. Having no aim acceleration at all caused me to have to drop from a 3 to a 2 but hot damn it feels so gooooooodddddd. I didn't notice anymore of the bs jumping around that my reticle had been doing, which might be caused by them having an odd aim acceleration curve instead of a fully smooth one. 

Whatever the reason, no aim assist and a slightly lower sensitivity is amazing and I even do 180's faster than I did with the default acceleration and a 3 sens.

yeah id think so, then it would be one smooth speed the whole time your spinning and everything would be based on your look sens. thats why i think using 1 accel is your best option

You mean 5. 5 is effectively no aim acceleration. However far you press your thumbstick, you will have no acceleration to deal with. They have the settings backasswards imo, but the way they have set it up, 1 is the most acceleration added to your stick (meaning it basically slows your sensitivity down initially and then it ramps up over time) and 5 is instantaneously at your set sensitivity speed as soon as you hit the stick, with no acceleration added. Try it in game. Set your aim accel to 1, do a 360 and you will notice you start turning slow, then it finally kicks in to your set sensitivity by the time you make it around. Then bump it to 5 and do a 360, there is no ramp up time and you move fluidly in a circle. It's glorious. It means you maybe need a lower than normal sensitivity but the gains are awesome imo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It seems like a lot of people are fundamentally misunderstanding the aim acceleration settings. There's a good chance a lot of you have it backwards.

Based on this post: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-advanced-controller-settings

• Aim acceleration 1: It takes the longest amount of time to reach top aiming speed. In other words, as you hold the joystick in one direction your speed is slowly increasing making it difficult to hit flick shots. In order to hit a flickshot you pretty much have to watch your reticle and have amazing or lucky timing. If you use this setting you love the speed of your reticle changing so much that you hardly ever want it to be constant.
  • Aim acceleration 5: Your turn speed reaches it's max almost instantly effectively making aim acceleration disappear. Flick shots can be learned and repeated since your muscle memory is much more important and there is no timing aspect to aiming. if you use this setting you hate aim acceleration and prefer your spartan to always aim/turn at the same speed.

For you guys that are trying 1 accel and a higher than normal sensitivity-- have you tried 5 accel and a lower sensitivity?

There is so much wrong in this post mixed with some things that are right.

There is so much wrong in this post mixed with some things that are right.

lol his post is completely correct. A 5 setting means whatever your sensitivity is set to is the constant speed at which you look around. Anything lower and it adds a slow turn curve to it. It is very easily seen by changing the aim accel settings and looking in a circle. At 5, I have noticed no more jumping of my reticle like before, everywhere I aim it's smooth, no variation. I am loving the new settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol his post is completely correct. A 5 setting means whatever your sensitivity is set to is the constant speed at which you look around. Anything lower and it adds a slow turn curve to it. It is very easily seen by changing the aim accel settings and looking in a circle. At 5, I have noticed no more jumping of my reticle like before, everywhere I aim it's smooth, no variation. I am loving the new settings.

I think the problem is people are thinking that the max is what their sensitivity is set to. When in reality that's the minimum.