Sign in to follow this  
Beryl AU

What are your Aim Settings for Halo 5: Guardians?

In regards to the speed altering, I made a post in the H5 thread citing a feature in Unreal Tournament 3. I'm playing right now or I'd write a big post or try to find everything I'm talking about, but there was a video of someone showing the acceleration while also showing the controller on a webcam. It looked like to start, the acceleration was slow within a certain percentage of stick deflection. Then it jumped up after the next threshold of stick deflection, and then actually changed speeds again at full deflection. I saw that around the time people were posting about the XIM guys having problems with H5.

I have no idea if it's true at all.

Yeah I've been suspecting that it works more like stairs than a curve for awhile. If that really is whats going on then the change seems to have made spacing the stairs out easier to where its not a big deal. Or curved stairs. This would be easier with graphs lol.

Ok, so from what I've noticed the aim acceleration kinda works like this:

1 accel makes it more linear when you move the stick. It doesn't ramp up in speed unless you really hold it for a while. It allows more precise aiming and it more stuff.

5 accel seems to make each moment more of an exponential gain. It feels more "slippery" because you are basically playing on an accelerated speed the whole time.

This is just what it feels like to me, I could be way off and just confirming my own bias, but that's my 2 cents on the numbers.

Wouldn't it be best to have 0 aim acceleration? I'm in college right now and I can't test the new settings. 

yeah id think so, then it would be one smooth speed the whole time your spinning and everything would be based on your look sens. thats why i think using 1 accel is your best option

I was thinking of the aim acceleration in the wrong way and had it on 5 for a while and doing poorly. Just switched it to 1 now and wow. I can't miss.

Look Acceleration adjusts the time it takes to hit max look speed when you peg (apply 100% input in any direction) the look stick. The higher the setting, the quicker you will reach top speed, and the lower the setting, the longer it takes to reach top speed.

From halowaypoint. This doesn't make sense to me. I thought having a low setting of 1 would make it as if there is no aim acceleration, but this sounds like its the opposite. 

From halowaypoint. This doesn't make sense to me. I thought having a low setting of 1 would make it as if there is no aim acceleration, but this sounds like its the opposite.

No it makes complete sense. Let's say your Sensitivity is on 3 and your acceleration is on 1. You will almost constantly be looking around at 3 sensitivity unless you hold the aim stick in 1 direction for a long time at which point it may increase your sensitivity to 4/5 during the time you are spinning. Now if your sensitivity is at 3 and your acceleration is at 5. And you start turning in either direction you will quickly start spinning at much faster speed than 3 it makes it where you hardly ever have a constant sensitivity. And if you hold the aim stick in one direction for a long time you will spin at insane rate of maybe 9/10 sensitivity.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 sens (didn't change from pre-patch), 4 aim accel, 0% inner deadzone, 10% outer deadzone

I tried a ton of combinations ... 1 aim accel feels very weird, far too slow; i tried upping the sens to 6/7 to compensate but that felt even weirder.  I loooooooove having 0% inner deadzone, everything feels way more crisp, and 4 aim accel is the sweet spot (imo).  loving the aiming now; I didn't hate it before but everything feels way crisper, I'm landing more shots etc; when I lose a 1v1 battle I don't even care, I know that I'm to blame (and not the game)

I'm trying out 4 sens 0% deadzones and 5 aim acceleration. It feels pretty fluid for me. 1 aim accel with 4 sens feels slow, yet 5 sens with 1 aim accel seems a little too fast. I like both right now but leaning towards 4 sens and 5 aim accel. Seems like the sweet spot currently for me.

Okay I've had a proper feel of the new settings. First things first,

The aiming isnt fixed.

The new settings are great, and they give us immense control that we've never had in Halo before. The problem with the aiming is, quite glaringly, the sensitivity calibration. Especially at max tilt. Unfortunately they'll never change that, but at least now with the settings its gone from awful to bearable.

I've found the most comfortable for me is 8 sens 1 acc. I was trying out 10 sense for a bit but long range is just too figety, and because xbox controllers are less tensile, it's easy for them to go spastic.

And I don't mind the aim acceleration. Because the aiming is so sluggish the aim acceleration actually speeds up turning which can really help spinning around and such. It's absolutely nothing like Halo 3, I could play on 10 sens and 5 acc and it really wouldnt be much of a handicap, I would only have to position myself differently to compensate.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also the XIM4 DEVs need to release a new updated Smart Translator for Halo 5, but currently this is what Im using fo the time being. It feels better.

10 Sensitivity
1 Aim-Acceleration
0% both deadzones 

wHsXi94.png
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

With the deadzone, 0% inner is always the way to go, but I really like max outer deadzone for lower sensitivities, because again, it helps with turning. 10/5 with no outer deadzone is actually quite playable, I might upload some gameplay.

And remember, I'm a player who has always played on 4/5 sensitivty on all Halos.

This is what I found works for me too. It has increased my hit % ten fold

Yep in octagon at first I was hitting 50-55% now I'm hitting 60%+ for me. And I used the sniper like 4 times for kills so it was mainly pistols

Also the XIM4 DEVs need to release a new updated Smart Translator for Halo 5, but currently this is what Im using fo the time being. It feels better.

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

Haven't actually played a match with it yet or got round to messing with deadzones, but 5 sens, 1 accel feels pretty good just for looking around (was 4 sense and default 3 accel pre-patch).

I'll edit in some more thoughts once I've actually tried the settings in a live environment.

5 accel 3 sens 0% dead zones

Why 0 on the outer deadzone?

In effect you'll do 180s slower.

Why 0 on the outer deadzone?

In effect you'll do 180s slower.

I cant speak for Akuma, but for me I dont really have a lot of "Finesse" with the stick, it's pretty much pegged or its not haha. so for aiming, having it not suddenly jump to 100% acceleration before i even peg the stick is great.

Right now im at

4 sense

1 acc

0/0 deadzones

I have literally only played one game so far though.... by myself... just running around the map.  That setting "felt" good to move around, but im sure i'll tweak it