Sign in to follow this  
Beryl AU

What are your Aim Settings for Halo 5: Guardians?

Normally I would agree with you, but not in this case.  My TV is from the XXLD450 series of LG tv's.  The only factors I even considered when buying my TV was input lag (16 ms) and response time (4 ms).  This TV was hands down the winner and is only marginally worse than my Monitor (11 ms input lag, 4 ms response time).  I cant see 5 ms extra making a difference considering its still under 1 frame of lag.

If those numbers are correct, then I agree. Around 15-16 ms should be okay, although it is a bit on the high side for high level Halo. You won't notice it clearly, but the aim can feel a little bit off compared to a very low latency (<5 ms) monitor. Only way to notice is really to play extensively on both screens and compare in-game stats.

I recently purchased a large TV too, a sony w708, 42". Like you, input lag was a chief consideration. The one I went for had an actual measured input lag (Leo Bodnar's test) of 14 ms ms. That is the best result measured among TVs of that size tested by HDTVtest: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag Although I remembered it to be higher - and that was why I doubted your TV.

PS: If the sources of your input lag number is from the manufacturer, I think you should look for a proper test with a valid measurement, just to check whether it is correct. Manyfacturer numbers are usually imprecise, and can sometimes be wildly off.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So my controller's screwed up and the left analog stick now drifts up randomly. I just put inner dead zone to 15%. It's still doing it...Does anyone know if the inner dead zone setting only applies to the right thumbstick or to both? 

PS: If the sources of your input lag number is from the manufacturer, I think you should look for a proper test with a valid measurement, just to check whether it is correct. Manyfacturer numbers are usually imprecise, and can sometimes be wildly off.

Offtopic: This website has some good reviews. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

If those numbers are correct, then I agree. Around 15-16 ms should be okay, although it is a bit on the high side for high level Halo. You won't notice it clearly, but the aim can feel a little bit off compared to a very low latency (<5 ms) monitor. Only way to notice is really to play extensively on both screens and compare in-game stats.

I recently purchased a large TV too, a sony w708, 42". Like you, input lag was a chief consideration. The one I went for had an actual measured input lag (Leo Bodnar's test) of 14 ms ms. That is the best result measured among TVs of that size tested by HDTVtest: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag Although I remembered it to be higher - and that was why I doubted your TV.

Lol yeah I don't trust manufacturers for much in the way of the specs they tout to be honest. I got the lag measurements from that same site and from avsforums.

I think i'm just going to try my best to stick with 2/5/0/0 no matter what screen i'm using.

I think I've basically settled on 4 sens, 3 acc, 0/0 deadzones. I've tried running at 2 acc and 5 acc, but 3 just seems to work for me. 

I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to find a comfortable setting to play with in this game. I don't know if it's just my skill level in general but I can't seem to get consistent with anything.

I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to find a comfortable setting to play with in this game. I don't know if it's just my skill level in general but I can't seem to get consistent with anything.

I am starting to think the same about me. I choose one at times then i play well. i logout come back the next day and play like a blind man man its annoying i am starting to think i a have some sort of club aim

Its not you, its the game. I despise the aiming in this game, i play 6 sens, 1 accerleration and 0 deadzones after like 10 games yesterday it felt decent, but I know if I go back now it will feel like shit

Its not you, its the game. I despise the aiming in this game, i play 6 sens, 1 accerleration and 0 deadzones after like 10 games yesterday it felt decent, but I know if I go back now it will feel like shit

I can't really pinpoint it. It's like my aim is all bouncy no matter what sens I play on. I've been a consistent 3 sens player for a long time. But I've had to settle with 2 sens, 5 accel, 12 odzone because I feel like I can consistently win my battles with it. But it still doesn't feel right. I keep second guessing myself on it and it's really made my game take a nose dive.

Highly recommend running an outer deadzone. I switched mine from 0% to 12% today and it made a huge difference in how consistent the reticle movement felt.

Current settings are 8 sens, 2 accel, 0% inner deadzone, 12% outer deadzone. I prefer the feel of 5 accel, but found it too impractical for how aiming works in this game. It was just too difficult to hit long range shots and no-scopes.

Even though I've found settings that I like, I still wouldn't say that aiming feels good in this game, especially compared to other Halo games.

Nokterne

Do you think the outer deadzone will effect the acceleration? I have been playing on 4 sense and 5 accel with 0% outer deadzone. But my controller just got slow turn so I put my outer deadzone to 10%. Now I've been playing with my accel back on 3

I am waiting to get my Kontrol Freek's but right now I have Sens 4, Acceleration 2 and dead zones 0.

Do you think the outer deadzone will effect the acceleration? I have been playing on 4 sense and 5 accel with 0% outer deadzone. But my controller just got slow turn so I put my outer deadzone to 10%. Now I've been playing with my accel back on 3

There is definitely a relationship between the two. Increasing your outer deadzone means you'll be hitting the max cadence of your thumbstick slightly more quickly.

This means that acceleration will be kicking in faster, and at slightly lower thumbstick tilt values. 4 accel and 0% outer dz VS. 3 accel and 10% outer are going to feel different, but in a less drastic way than if you had only changed one or the other.

Dropping your accel settings after increasing the outer deadzone makes sense, as your new deadzone settings mean you're going to be hitting "acceleration input" more quickly. You don't need as high of an accel value if you're hitting that accel part of the thumbstick more quickly.

I just want to note as well that accel is definitely applied gradually throughout the thumbstick tilt, not just at full tilt. I've found that small adjustments to the sticks are much easier on 3 accel and lower. These kinds of reticle movements are really important in Halo 5 in my experience, which is why I gave up on running a high accel setting, even though I preferred the overall feel of it.

A little while ago I was in lethul's stream talking about how I settled on 3 acceleration and I wish they didn't give us all these options because I'll literally never be satisfied. 

He told me to f*ck 3 and just set the acceleration to 2 and get used to it. So I did. It took a bit but now my shot is better, especially at longer range. 

Thanks @@LethuL

So I'm trying out 6 sens, 5 accel, 0% deadzones and it feels really comfortable compared to previous settings. Aiming still feels awkward most of the time but at least now I feel more consistent.

Had a sensitivity crisis over the weekend. Jumped up to 4/5 from 3/5 because I felt like I was always aiming behind people's strafe in close-mid range. Gonna have to make a long-range octogon to get used to the slipperiness, though.

Yeah I still can't decide what I wanna do...

I basically do fine with 4s 2a, 4s 3a, 3s 4a, and 3s 5a. My aim seems basically the same with all of them. Wish Something conclusive jumped out at me so I could make my decision. Even all the pros have settings all over the place. I probably just need to pick one at stick with it. Probably just do 4s 3a because I DON'T KNOW. 

Sens- 3

Accel- 2

0%

0%

The aiming doesn't really bother me unless I play another FPS and then play some H5. Then it feels all kinds of wonky, heavy and unresponsive.

I posted in this thread already a while ago, but my settings have changed since then:

-3 sens

-5 accel

-0% inner

-15% outer

And yeah, it goes without saying that the aiming is still a huge issue for me.

Had a sensitivity crisis over the weekend. Jumped up to 4/5 from 3/5 because I felt like I was always aiming behind people's strafe in close-mid range. Gonna have to make a long-range octogon to get used to the slipperiness, though.

You see, this makes me curious. I'm genuinely interested in figuring out what you really feel like when you aim.

Would you also describe your aim as, oh I don't know...

squirrely?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I still can't decide what I wanna do...

I basically do fine with 4s 2a, 4s 3a, 3s 4a, and 3s 5a. My aim seems basically the same with all of them. Wish Something conclusive jumped out at me so I could make my decision. Even all the pros have settings all over the place. I probably just need to pick one at stick with it. Probably just do 4s 3a because I DON'T KNOW. 

4/3 or 3/5 would be my suggestion out of those. Like you said, just pick one and get used to it.

• Upvote (+1) 1