Sign in to follow this  
Nukes

Halo 1 PC...

Can anyone tell me if Halo 1 for the PC is worth picking up. I haven't played in years and wanted to see some suggestions, I was reading about Custom Edition and how Bungie released a patch last year for the whole game. Can anyone fill me in please 

Its actually pretty good if you can deal with shitty hit detection.

I just bought a laptop on Black Friday. I'm getting CSGO and thinking about HCE. Can you tell me if anyone is still actually playing it online and also how Custom Edition works out

get the leadfix and your required lead will be a lot lower

hit registration isnt bad you just have to develop a feeling on how much to preaim depending on your ping

(which actually increases to the skillgap)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

get the leadfix and your required lead will be a lot lower

hit registration isnt bad you just have to develop a feeling on how much to preaim depending on your ping

(which actually increases to the skillgap)

Have you played recently? Can you tell me if anyone has been playing and etc

I played it 12 years ago or so and it was awesome. Most populated playlists weren't proper/normal Halo but snipers or shotties on Longest or Chiron T-34 with no shields. Don't expect good hit detection. On blood gulch you need to lead your shots like crazy. Also, there ARE modders around abusing the game.

I haven't downloaded the new update so I can't help. I can't imagine that there aren't people playing sniper ctf boarding action or tanks blood gulch as we speak though. I wouldn't spend more than 10$ for the experience; it has some good casual fun it just isn't for me.

I haven't downloaded the new update so I can't help. I can't imagine that there aren't people playing sniper ctf boarding action or tanks blood gulch as we speak though. I wouldn't spend more than 10$ for the experience; it has some good casual fun it just isn't for me.

Yeah I gotta check it out. I'm trying to look if people are still playing but I can't seem to find anything out

So I still play Halo PC (as well as MCC...) and I even host a server with proper MLG gametypes (as far as I know, it's the ONLY ONE).

Here's the server info, if you want to check it out for yourself: 

b_560_95_1.png

You'll need to download Halo Custom Edition - the vanilla version of the game has far less players and doesn't offer the same degree of support in terms of custom maps and advanced functionality. For the rest of this post, when I say "Halo PC" I am referring to Custom Edition. Also, be sure to download HAC2 - despite its sketchy name, this is not a hack but rather a mod that adds an unbelievable amount of great functionality, truly bringing the game up to speed with modern expectations.

Here are some ongoing issues with the PC version:

• Weapon timers are broken, things don't spawn right on time and the offsets end up compounding, meaning that in the late game the times are wayyyyy off (currently in talks with some prominent modders to address this issue via servers scripts - it looks very promising so far and it will even be possible to have a timer integrated into the game chat with countdowns and the whole works. Coming soon, I'll post here when it's worth talking about). Work in progress that's looking damn promising
  • Controller support is broken in multiplayer. Curiously, it works perfectly in Single-Player. The problem is due to a couple issues, mainly the fact that in mp it only supports 8-direction digital movement (left stick). So no walking. The other issue is with deadzones - there aren't any, for both sticks. Finally, I don't think player magnetism and auto-aim are ON by default, but they can easily be enabled with a console command (assuming you have HAC2 - which you definitely shouldn't play the game without). I still play the game with a controller regardless, because the aiming works well enough. It just takes A LOT of getting used to because it's tough to run in a straight line because of the lack of deadzone support. I have my fingers in too many pies right now, but when I liberate some time I'll look into this with the same prominent modders that are helping with weapon timings.
  • Starting nades aren't dependent on player count like in the OG version (matches with 4 or less players only start with 2 nades, as opposed to OG where it's 4 nade starts if player count is 4 or less). I fixed this with server scripts in my MLG server.
  • Stock maps are slightly different than the Xbox OG versions. This applies to weapon coordinates/orientations and also some minor geometry differences. I fixed this by re-compiling the maps (and renaming them so no conflicts) with the Xbox scenario tags (technical detail) and all the weapon orientations and coordinates have been restored. I'm hosting pre-release test versions of the Xbox maps on my server (so far I have chillout, hangemhigh, and damnation - battle creek is coming soon with the others following shortly afterwards)
  • Netcode is poorly optimized: there is some degree of rubberbanding and warping, but with the no-lead mod the shooting feels okay (better than MCC in my opinion - depending on your connection). Again, I'm in talks with someone who is interested in increasing the tick rate via a server mod, which in theory could alleviate the issues. More on this soon (probably around the same time that timers will be fixed).

There are probably some other issues that I forgot to mention, but these are the major ones. On the other hand, the PC version offers some advantages over MCC and even the original version (again, assuming you have the HAC2 mod):

• Automatic custom map downloads upon server join: the maps aren't downloaded from the server itself. Instead, the game looks at the map file and downloads it from a file server. This recent addition to the game (a couple years old at most) has made custom maps gain a huge amount of exposure. There are many thousands (not even exaggerating) of custom maps, obviously of varying quality. On a semi-related note, I'm currently working with some fine folks on porting the entirety of the Halo 1.5 map pack over to PC. Stay tuned for an announcement here and also on halomaps.org
  • Adjustable FOV
  • Dedicated servers - real, actual dedicated servers for host-neutral scrims. This ain't MCC. Also, you can bookmark servers and join them on the fly
  • Join-in-progress - can be disabled for scrims.
  • Widescreen support - HUD scaling, custom resolutions, etc - the whole works. The game looks amazing on ultra-wide resolution (21:9 as opposed to standard 16:9 widescreen)
  • Within 5 seconds of launching the game you can be in a match. This aint Xbox One.

There are many other advantages, but unfortunately the ongoing fundamental issues with the PC port are still preventing the game from being taken seriously. With some effort, hopefully these issues can finally be addressed after 10+ years since the game launched. Stay tuned.

PS: if anyone wants to play Halo PC and see what the fuss is about, or just want to talk about some of this stuff that's in the works, join this Discord server: https://discord.gg/0fnn37Ieq0XXPrMJ

• Upvote (+1) 8

So I still play Halo PC (as well as MCC...) and I even host a server with proper MLG gametypes (as far as I know, it's the ONLY ONE).

Here's the server info, if you want to check it out for yourself:

b_560_95_1.png

Here's my other server - it has more varied gametypes and maps:

b_560_95_1.png

You'll need to download Halo Custom Edition - the vanilla version of the game has far less players and doesn't offer the same degree of support in terms of custom maps and advanced functionality. For the rest of this post, when I say "Halo PC" I am referring to Custom Edition. Also, be sure to download HAC2 - despite its sketchy name, this is not a hack but rather a mod that adds an unbelievable amount of great functionality, truly bringing the game up to speed with modern expectations.

Here are some ongoing issues with the PC version:

• Weapon timers are broken, things don't spawn right on time and the offsets end up compounding, meaning that in the late game the times are wayyyyy off (currently in talks with some prominent modders to address this issue via servers scripts - it looks very promising so far and it will even be possible to have a timer integrated into the game chat with countdowns and the whole works. Coming soon, I'll post here when it's worth talking about). Work in progress that's looking damn promising
  • Controller support is broken in multiplayer. Curiously, it works perfectly in Single-Player. The problem is due to a couple issues, mainly the fact that in mp it only supports 8-direction digital movement (left stick). So no walking. The other issue is with deadzones - there aren't any, for both sticks. Finally, I don't think player magnetism and auto-aim are ON by default, but they can easily be enabled with a console command (assuming you have HAC2 - which you definitely shouldn't play the game without). I still play the game with a controller regardless, because the aiming works well enough. It just takes A LOT of getting used to because it's tough to run in a straight line because of the lack of deadzone support. I have my fingers in too many pies right now, but when I liberate some time I'll look into this with the same prominent modders that are helping with weapon timings.
  • Starting nades aren't dependent on player count like in the OG version (matches with 4 or less players only start with 2 nades, as opposed to OG where it's 4 nade starts if player count is 4 or less). I fixed this with server scripts in my MLG server.
  • Stock maps are slightly different than the Xbox OG versions. This applies to weapon coordinates/orientations and also some minor geometry differences. I fixed this by re-compiling the maps (and renaming them so no conflicts) with the Xbox scenario tags (technical detail) and all the weapon orientations and coordinates have been restored. I'm hosting pre-release test versions of the Xbox maps on my server (so far I have chillout, hangemhigh, and damnation - battle creek is coming soon with the others following shortly afterwards)
  • Netcode is poorly optimized: there is some degree of rubberbanding and warping, but with the no-lead mod the shooting feels okay (better than MCC in my opinion - depending on your connection). Again, I'm in talks with someone who is interested in increasing the tick rate via a server mod, which in theory could alleviate the issues. More on this soon (probably around the same time that timers will be fixed).

There are probably some other issues that I forgot to mention, but these are the major ones. On the other hand, the PC version offers some advantages over MCC and even the original version (again, assuming you have the HAC2 mod):

• Automatic custom map downloads upon server join: the maps aren't downloaded from the server itself. Instead, the game looks at the map file and downloads it from a file server. This recent addition to the game (a couple years old at most) has made custom maps gain a huge amount of exposure. There are many thousands (not even exaggerating) of custom maps, obviously of varying quality. On a semi-related note, I'm currently working with some fine folks on porting the entirety of the Halo 1.5 map pack over to PC. Stay tuned for an announcement here and also on halomaps.org
  • Adjustable FOV
  • Dedicated servers - real, actual dedicated servers for host-neutral scrims. This ain't MCC. Also, you can bookmark servers and join them on the fly
  • Join-in-progress - can be disabled for scrims.
  • Widescreen support - HUD scaling, custom resolutions, etc - the whole works. The game looks amazing on ultra-wide resolution (21:9 as opposed to standard 16:9 widescreen)
  • Within 5 seconds of launching the game you can be in a match. This aint Xbox One.
There are many other advantages, but unfortunately the ongoing fundamental issues with the PC port are still preventing the game from being taken seriously. With some effort, hopefully these issues can finally be addressed after 10+ years since the game launched. Stay tuned.

PS: if anyone wants to play Halo PC and see what the fuss is about, or just want to talk about some of this stuff that's in the works, join this Discord server: https://discord.gg/0fnn37Ieq0XBuPrT

How do I apply both Hac2 and CE on the PC. Do I need a hold of the newest patch also

How do I apply both Hac2 and CE on the PC. Do I need a hold of the newest patch also

1. Download & install Halo Custom Edition
  2. Run haloupdate.exe in the Halo Custom Edition directory (c:\program files (x86)\microsoft games\halo custom edition). This will bring the game up to date and also enable you to play the game without the CD in the drive
  3. Download HAC 2 from http://client.haloanticheat.com/release.zip
  4. Place loader.dll into the Controls folder in the Halo Custom Edition directory

For more information and other tweaks, check this link: https://www.bungie.net/sr/Forum/Post/3066503/0/0/1

By the way, I don't know if this is frowned upon here (so I apologize in advance!) but 99% of dedicated servers are now running a server mod called SAPP which has CD Key authentication disabled by default. This means that multiple players with the same CD Key can play on virtually any server on the list. In my opinion this should hardly be considered piracy discussion, since Bungie deliberately released their last patch to support the aforementioned server mod (SAPP) and the client mod (HAC 2).

The only major pitfall to using a "shared" CD Key is that if a server conducts banning based on CD Key hash, all players with any given CD Key will be banned. This isn't a popular ban method for obvious reasons, and IP-range banning has become more prevalent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

• Download & install Halo Custom Edition
  • Run haloupdate.exe in the Halo Custom Edition directory (c:\program files (x86)\microsoft games\halo custom edition). This will bring the game up to date and also enable you to play the game without the CD in the drive
  • Download HAC 2 from http://client.haloanticheat.com/release.zip
  • Place loader.dll into the Controls folder in the Halo Custom Edition directory

For more information and other tweaks, check this link: https://www.bungie.net/sr/Forum/Post/3066503/0/0/1

By the way, I don't know if this is frowned upon here (so I apologize in advance!) but 99% of dedicated servers are now running a server mod called SAPP which has CD Key authentication disabled by default. This means that multiple players with the same CD Key can play on virtually any server on the list. In my opinion this should hardly be considered piracy discussion, since Bungie deliberately released their last patch to support the aforementioned server mod (SAPP) and the client mod (HAC 2).

The only major pitfall to using a "shared" CD Key is that if a server conducts banning based on CD Key hash, all players with any given CD Key will be banned. This isn't a popular ban method for obvious reasons, and IP-range banning has become more prevalent.

Thanks man, I am completely new. I never heard of Custom Edition till recently. I'm shocked people still play this

Thanks man, I am completely new. I never heard of Custom Edition till recently. I'm shocked people still play this

There are minimum 1000 people playing at all times. Unfortunately most servers host silly gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are minimum 1000 people playing at all times. Unfortunately most servers host silly gametypes.

Damn I was trying to play legit settings lol

Damn I was trying to play legit settings lol

Play in my server (the one I linked in the OP), those are the most legit settings you'll find. I'll be on later tonight (let's say, in 3 hours). Join the Discord server too.

Just gonna be real with you man.

Most players are from Mexico or some shit, and the vast majority of servers are either Rocket-Tank-Clusterfuck on Bloodgulch, Zombies on Bloodgulch, or Snipers-No-Shields...on Blood Gulch.

What exists outside of that is usually private servers or a few 8v8 gametypes on small maps.  You won't find a competitive 2v2 or 4v4 server unless you actually have other friends who own the game.

Halo PC was amazing back in its day, but now not so much.

Just gonna be real with you man.

Most players are from Mexico or some shit, and the vast majority of servers are either Rocket-Tank-Clusterfuck on Bloodgulch, Zombies on Bloodgulch, or Snipers-No-Shields...on Blood Gulch.

What exists outside of that is usually private servers or a few 8v8 gametypes on small maps.  You won't find a competitive 2v2 or 4v4 server unless you actually have other friends who own the game.

This is true.

This also why I posted an open invitation to join my server and voice chat - I host 2v2 MLG and have a small group that plays on the reg.

The only ways to play CE are:

• OG Xbox (which is not accessible in terms of equipment needed and requires you to have local connections to get any real games going)
  • MCC with its long wait times and quesitonable netcode
  • PC with its large majority of idiots that don't know good gametypes, and questionable netcode.

But at least something can be done about the game on PC, whereas with MCC we're at the mercy of some devs that clearly don't give a flying fuck about the few people who still play the game that started the series that justifies their very existence.

Also:

Halo PC was amazing back in its day, but now not so much.

On a technical level the game is much better now than it's ever been before - see the big post I made a bit further up. Unfortunately people dropped it when it was in a bad state years ago, and it's hard to get those players back. But with the no-lead mod (which isn't LITERALLY no-lead, just not ridiculous lead like it was before), and the added features, I find it hard to choose between PC and MCC, which are the only options if you want to jump on and play CE every night.

• Upvote (+1) 3