Oby

Installation 01: A fan-made Halo PC game

Fuck No. Caring about Rank in a video game is R3tarded. Play the game because its fun. Nobody cares about how long you can sit on a couch and refine your cognitive skill. So you shouldn't either. Unless you're in some Contest setting it doesnt matter. Halo Eldewrito doesn't need Any sort of ranking sysem to be a great experience.

Ranking systems are not just for ePeen measurement. Their primary purpose is to provide even, competitive matches across a range of skill levels. It's standard in multiplayer games at this point for a reason.

​That you are annoyed by people who care about ranks in game is your issue.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'd be very cool to join this team (if it's actually made in Unity), because that is what I am program in as well. Not only do they program in the same engine as me but they seem to base it on my favourite Halo game as well, Halo 3. 

However, I wish they didn't actually remake Halo, but instead made a game based on the mechanics of Halo. Get the same multi-player feeling when playing the game, but with different assets. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Whats the general sandbox direction of this game? Are they going with a utility weapon Sandbox or some tier based bullshit?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo is going to be saved by the fans. This is looking like it'll be pretty good so far.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo is going to be saved by the fans. This is looking like it'll be pretty good so far.

But they can't make money off on this, so it will never be at the quality it needs to be. People need a Halo game that is a different IP/Art direction, but the same gameplay. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

But they can't make money off on this, so it will never be at the quality it needs to be. People need a Halo game that is a different IP/Art direction, but the same gameplay.

Yeah its a shame. Can't get our hopes up too much because of that. Do they take donations?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I just hope it has ranks and some skill based button combos or glitches, those 2 things would make me extremely interested in putting in the hours when it's released.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah its a shame. Can't get our hopes up too much because of that. Do they take donations?

I honestly think they legally aren't "allowed to" unless it was 100% under the table. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just hope it has ranks and some skill based button combos or glitches, those 2 things would make me extremely interested in putting in the hours when it's released.

Would button combos work on PC with macros being a thing?

It depends, which is why I wish people would quit suggesting "gib quadshot" on games that will be on PC without any thought as to how its implemented. CE's BLB is fine since the risk/skill aspect of it is aiming the grenade away from you...even a successfully executed BLB has consequences. BLB isn't hard to physically perform or time. Macros are pointless. 

The only consequence the doubleshot has is the reload if you fail. If you have a consistent way to not fail the execution, and the effect is a nearly straight upgrade from firing regularly, expect macros. If the "skill" of your game mechanic can be overridden by having additional hardware or virtual hardware, you've failed to make a secure sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 4

This is the game being created without hitscan and the justification was it was too easy to aim yet on the gameplay y'all showed, you couldn't aim for shit!

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is the game being created without hitscan and the justification was it was too easy to aim yet on the gameplay y'all showed, you couldn't aim for shit!

Well the gameplay showed was projectile so what's your point. And projectile is better than hitscan 99% of the time

Good! I want it to be hard to aim. I want the aiming to have some kind of skill gap.

Well the gameplay showed was projectile so what's your point. And projectile is better than hitscan 99% of the time

This is a baseless generalization. There is a reason that hit-scan is used the vast majority of the time with pinpoint precision weapons. It scales better across a variety of network connections and is more consistent. Consistency is important in competitive games. The only major game I can think of that DOESN'T do this is Battlefield, which is a casual game.

The point is that it's pretty fucking silly to justify a decision in that way, when based on the footage, it seems fairly likely that the people making the claim would be missing the majority of the time with hit-scan anyway. Can you honestly say that you know what is going on in most of the gameplay footage? Are they just missing constantly (likely)? Are the kill-times ludicrously long (likely)? Is the shot registration just shit (also fairly likely)? The lack of real concern about this project is puzzling. Saying "hit scan is just too easy LUL" is a pretty quick way to communicate abject ignorance that is only further reinforced by the promotional materials.

Good! I want it to be hard to aim. I want the aiming to have some kind of skill gap.

Aiming difficulty has little to nothing to do with projectile versus hit-scan.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The Vista/Project Cartographer community make it work.

How do they do it? I haven't touched H2V since support ended years ago.

This is a baseless generalization. There is a reason that hit-scan is used the vast majority of the time with pinpoint precision weapons. It scales better across a variety of network connections and is more consistent. Consistency is important in competitive games. The only major game I can think of that DOESN'T do this is Battlefield, which is a casual game.

The point is that it's pretty fucking silly to justify a decision in that way, when based on the footage, it seems fairly likely that the people making the claim would be missing the majority of the time with hit-scan anyway. Can you honestly say that you know what is going on in most of the gameplay footage? Are they just missing constantly (likely)? Are the kill-times ludicrously long (likely)? Is the shot registration just shit (also fairly likely)? The lack of real concern about this project is puzzling. Saying "hit scan is just too easy LUL" is a pretty quick way to communicate abject ignorance that is only further reinforced by the promotional materials.

Aiming difficulty has little to nothing to do with projectile versus hit-scan.

Its not a hard concept.

Leading your shot will always be more difficult than point and click if everything else is identical.

Online netcode is irrelevant to me because "the most competitive games" are played on lan where that's not an issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its not a hard concept.

Leading your shot will always be more difficult than point and click if everything else is identical.

Online netcode is irrelevant to me because "the most competitive games" are played on lan where that's not an issue.

More difficult does not inherently mean better. You could also turn off all aim assist/reticle friction in console Halo, but you would be left with a game where basically no one is hitting anything. Not an improvement and it's not really more competitive either. But still, I'm objecting to the notion that hit-scan is somehow super easy, which seems to be the kind of thing people who haven't played hard hit-scan games say. Are you honestly under the impression that a game like CSGO would just magically be inherently better if you had to lead your shots? I don't think so. Landing a one tap headshot on a moving target in that game isn't exactly trivial. At a certain point, you're just adding inconsistency with no net gain in competitiveness. So, you have to hit an extremely small, moving target, while leading accordingly based on both their movement speed and distance? And that's before accounting for things like your own movement and spray patterns. There's a reason "precision" projectile implementations pretty much always compensate for the difference with magnetism, larger projectiles, and/or a blast radius.

And how exactly is online netcode irrelevant to you when you would almost certainly not be playing on LAN. Even the people who WOULD be playing a given game on LAN will still be spending the majority of their time online, the rest of a game's population more so. Online is the vast majority of the experience, especially for a PC game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've developed my opinions on the double shot and the general philosophy behind button glitches in Halo games precisely from my experiences with H2V and Cartographer.

Any mods used to allow a player to gain an advantage over others are banned from the project. This includes double-shot macros as well. While anti-cheat has yet to be developed, the project has a fairly robust banning system that is very difficult to bypass. Therefore, the evidence the staff uses to ban cheaters is usually made up of game captures of a certain player doing something impossible. Thankfully, the majority of cheaters are short-sighted individuals who get their 15 minutes of fame by flying around the map with a perfect aimbot, and they get mopped up nicely shortly afterword.

Subtlety, however, is not something we can currently account for. Usually, speedhacks/rapidfire are easy to see, and most aimbots for H2V are pretty unsophisticated, compared to the silent aim mods in stuff like CSGO. However, there are a few people in our community who can legitimately doubleshot with some consistency and even pull off the occasional quad. And that's where we get into uncomfortable, murky, gray area. Sure, if some guy just shot 20 quads in a row, he's probably cheating. But where's the line, exactly? How could anyone ever know if I put a double-shot macro on a mouse button and only use it when necessary? Ideally, we could automatically stop a lot of hacking just by watching certain parts of the game's memory, and that's what most triple A game developers do. Its scale-able and fast, unlike the situation we currently have where one of a handful of staff just watches video evidence and determines what to do from there.

However, macros exist outside this model as well. Or any model, for that matter. Maybe the anti-cheat will catch someone with a quiet aimbot that couldn't be detected by video evidence. Great. Maybe the video evidence catches something the anti-cheat missed, or maybe something that would be invisible to anti-cheat, like super obvious macro abuse. Wonderful. But a macro that's used or designed with even the slightest modicum of intelligence is impossible to detect by people and anti-cheat alike. WHY would you WANT to put that in your game? Sure, the project can deal with it since a poorly received 10 year old port of a 13 year old game that has a modest population with a very modest competitive scene doesn't need a massive amount of policing. Yet the most popular part of the H2V forums are the report and appeal sections, and I shudder to imagine how painful it'll be for a game that's popular, new, or even worse, competitive, to deal with that stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 2