Oby

Installation 01: A fan-made Halo PC game

Ha! This was what I was planning on doing about a year ago. Glad someone else decided to actually commit to it! Although, I think the idea to actually use the Halo name is a real limiting factor. Probably would have been better to just to rip off the mechanics and not the name, that way you could actually sell it, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH8vGqWNiIE

Ended while working on a button combo system. It was a ton of fun fun to work on, but I realized it could never sell. Oh well

Selling a shooter as niche as a campaign-only Halo clone is a death sentence.

Besides, don't you love the Halo community enough to give them the gift of a good game for once?

Selling a shooter as niche as a campaign-only Halo clone is a death sentence.

Besides, don't you love the Halo community enough to give them the gift of a good game for once?

Huh? Are you referring to me or the Installation 01 team? My thing was going to be multiplayer only, not campaign.

And I realized that the part of the halo community that I loved died a while ago lol. To do the project that I wanted to do, to the level of quality I wanted would have taken years, assuming I could have gotten a team together. Even just getting a team together is hard. Getting people to work for free is even harder. It turned out to be impractical, but for reasons I was completely not expecting.

But in a few years, I may end up deciding to do this again. Who knows, maybe I'll get more free help next time haha

Huh? Are you referring to me or the Installation 01 team? My thing was going to be multiplayer only, not campaign.

And I realized that the part of the halo community that I loved died a while ago lol. To do the project that I wanted to do, to the level of quality I wanted would have taken years, assuming I could have gotten a team together. Even just getting a team together is hard. Getting people to work for free is even harder. It turned out to be impractical, but for reasons I was completely not expecting.

But in a few years, I may end up deciding to do this again. Who knows, maybe I'll get more free help next time haha

I'm just speaking in general. Such a niche shooter without eSports backing will fail hard if it costs money. It will likely fail in the longrun anyway, but being free will allow it to have a decent amount of players to start out with.

I'm just speaking in general. Such a niche shooter without eSports backing will fail hard if it costs money. It will likely fail in the longrun anyway, but being free will allow it to have a decent amount of players to start out with.

Oh I see. That was my plan too. F2P, maybe stuff like CS:GO skins to generate revenu for tournaments, etc. 

Oh I see. That was my plan too. F2P, maybe stuff like CS:GO skins to generate revenu for tournaments, etc. 

I think it's more important to have a tournament scene before croudfunding one.

I wanted to do a Halo clone of my own, but the ShooterGame base in UE4 is pretty bad. I'd like to go back to it, though.

I think it's more important to have a tournament scene before croudfunding one.

I wanted to do a Halo clone of my own, but the ShooterGame base in UE4 is pretty bad. I'd like to go back to it, though.

Lol yeah it is. That's what I made that video with, but I basically just ended up using the assets. I want to work on real halo clone aswell. Don't have the time right now though. :/

Ha! This was what I was planning on doing about a year ago. Glad someone else decided to actually commit to it! Although, I think the idea to actually use the Halo name is a real limiting factor. Probably would have been better to just to rip off the mechanics and not the name, that way you could actually sell it, etc.

Ended while working on a button combo system. It was a ton of fun fun to work on, but I realized it could never sell. Oh well

what map is that btw?

what map is that btw?

Its some UE4 tech demo scene. Think it's called HighRise or something like that

You have to build indie games for the love not the money. Or you won't finish. Then, because you don't care what others think about it (because all you care about is your love for it) you will continue to evolve it. Eventually you develop a name for yourself. Care for your followers and word spreads. Then a big corporation buys your game for billions. And you find your life changed to where you are lonely because none of your friends - or common strangers-know how to relate to you seeing you have more money than the entire population of their extended family could ever hope to see in their life time.

But I digress.

It requires love to keep you going. Passion with no end in sight.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm going to assume there's no ranking system? If not than i'll pass.

I remember getting H2V back in 08 excited to rank up and come to find out it had stupid custom game browsers and 70% of the games were swords. When it comes to Halo, PC community is an absolute joke. 

Edit: Eww no... There's sprint and ugly ass 3v4i guns in it especially those vomit inducing hit markers. Definitely passing on that abomination -- no wonder no one plays it. 

Halo Online is different from El Dewrito. El Dewrito is basically an early build of H:O that was taken by modders and built up as a separate entity. Ranks are at the bottom of their to-do list; several months ago, they were just trying to get multiplayer to work. 

The PC community is very interesting, in that 75% are idiots/noobs/casuals/pirates, 20% are very intelligent modders and mappers, and the last 5% are a mix of others including comp players. And if the reasons you were disappointed with H2V were because it had no ranks and it had server browsers, then I really don't know what to say to you. That's like saying you got Halo 4 and you were disappointed in the look of the armor instead of the barrage of game ruining mechanics.

Halo Online isn't on a console; if you don't like a texture, remove it. There are already many H2 and H3 texture packs for the game. Modders already put a sprint toggle into the game. Hit markers can be changed or removed (I believe). Lastly, nobody is playing it right now because they're waiting for the recode so that the El Dewrito build can use maps in the official H:O build of the game, which is going to give the community a lot more content to work with.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thank you ling ling. It seems some people just don't get it and can't even bother click some links and do some research (or they would have seen the no sprint and texture mods). The whole point of the project is to make a Halo 3 PC game but with extensive mod ability so you can add whatever you want and make it whatever you want. The game is incredibly young still but way more capable then anything before it since it was actually a game developed by a real game studio (modified H3 engine right?).

Obviously ranks are way down the list. They are working on making it stable, adding maps, and creating tools to BUILD anything you want so the game can be whatever you want it to be. But I guess giving people options is bad or something (console logic). The devs know it isn't ready for competitive, they have said so themselves. But I think exposing their efforts to a wider audience and getting more interest in it helps drive the project forward quicker.

Honestly if you don't like what eldorito has done and is doing I really question your knowledge of PC gaming, the mod community, and just don't get what you are looking for. I mean playing guardian on PC in high def, with unlimited customization, smooth playback, and for FREE... Why is that bad exactly?

And if the reasons you were disappointed with H2V were because it had no ranks and it had server browsers, then I really don't know what to say to you. That's like saying you got Halo 4 and you were disappointed in the look of the armor instead of the barrage of game ruining mechanics.

Ranks make it so you play with like skill, that's a problem how? Server browsers end up getting rid of matchmaking, thus no ranks (which is a problem). And did you not see my post about how a majority of the games were a bunch of no thumb gametypes? If that's the Halo PC community I want absolutely nothing to do with them. 

Honestly if you don't like what eldorito has done and is doing I really question your knowledge of PC gaming, the mod community

Clearly none -- its not like I haven't been modding Doom 1/2 since forever, or Diablo 2.

http://imgur.com/S3MNGam

Halo is too sacred to me, if its not done properly it is an abomination, I just want a real working Halo with a thriving community. El-dewrito could possibly have been it, but so far from what I'm seeing it is the furthest thing. And like I said, from my experience with the PC Halo community they're a bunch of scrubs who want to do nothing but play coag with sword starts.

A new trailer for this fan-made game is out, showing off pre-alpha gameplay:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Watching these videos gets me excited. I hope it turns out smoothly, connection and shot registration wise.

It should, Halo has very basic networking needs on paper. Also PC runs on dedicated servers which run on higher refresh rates than typical console P2P or dedicated servers.

Just watched it again, I hope they find someone for the team who understands the forerunner design better so they can re-do the towers, they look more like a UNSC base then a Foreunner structure...don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for such an impressive fan-made product of this quality but beeing fan-made, I kinda expect a better representation of important aspects like Foreunner architecure.

Really made me appreciate the hard work the animation teams put into the real Halo's.

Halo is too sacred to me, if its not done properly it is an abomination, I just want a real working Halo with a thriving community. El-dewrito could possibly have been it, but so far from what I'm seeing it is the furthest thing. And like I said, from my experience with the PC Halo community they're a bunch of scrubs who want to do nothing but play coag with sword starts.

Which is why we need matchmatching for a Halo game on PC.

1. Competitive MM

2. Social MM

3. Customs Servers

• Upvote (+1) 2

Looking awesome so far, seems like they need to clean/smoothen up the movement and shooting still though after watching that. But high hopes for this project and others like it. 343i have basically turned me away from Halo, and subsequently from console gaming in general. Now I play on PC but oh man do I still love the old Halo's!

SERIOUSLY hope this turns out well and flourishes!

Fuck No. Caring about Rank in a video game is R3tarded. Play the game because its fun. Nobody cares about how long you can sit on a couch and refine your cognitive skill. So you shouldn't either. Unless you're in some Contest setting it doesnt matter. Halo Eldewrito doesn't need Any sort of ranking sysem to be a great experience.

• Downvote (-1) 15

My favorite thing about this whole effort is lack of lame ass Spartan Abilities.  It's going to actually feel more like Halo the H5 probably. 

• Upvote (+1) 4