Sign in to follow this  
Skai

Could EG Go Down As The Greatest of all Time?

Could EG Go Down As The Greatest of all Time?

Of course we would love to see an old school vs new school battle of the best teams from what most people will call the classic halo period, Final Boss, Carbon, Str8 Rippin against today's hot teams.  But we can't all we can do is speculate.  The amount of dominance we saw from Carbon and Final Boss in 2006 and again in 2007 was incredible.  When I was first hearing about MLG in 2006 those were what I would call household names of Halo.

Evil Geniuses from their creation in Halo 2 Anniversary looked dominant.  They went in to the first event the favorite, CLG being a close second with the GOAT Ogre 2 leading the way with two of the best young talents Snakebite and Royal 2 behind them.  That event didn't pan out to EG's favor, even losing the 4th piece to their puzzle to an injury sustained at the event.    Was it all over?  Or was this the beginning?  The beginning of one of the most dominant runs in Halo we've ever seen.  Picking up Lethul as the 4th member of the team, no one was too sure what to expect, Lethul everyone's favorite troll had a golden opportunity to put any haters to bed.  Everyone of them should be tucked in tight by now.  This is in no way a disservice to what I will call again "classic" Halo but, a new era of player that didn't come in and steal the spotlight until Halo 3 reached higher levels.  With the decline in viewership in Halo since Halo Reach you may ask if we can even assert a comparison of the two timelines. Speculation is the word I will use for this as we will never see a classic FB vs EG match or Carbon and EG main stage match.   

When I first heard of Snip3down, he made waves...  Going to his FIRST event in 2008, the first year of Halo 3 and reaching top 8. TOP 8! Most players gradually work to that point, change teams 10 times and finally find the perfect mix of players to break into that elite status with.  He goes on to be on 4 different teams that year and ultimately win the Nation Championship with Str8 Rippin along with Tsquared, Legit and Elamite Warrior.   The next two members of this team hail from my home state of Illinois, the twins Roy and Lunchbox.  Two of my favorite players ever.  The banter between them is perfect and can you really actually win a debate over who the better player is?  I don't think so.  Both bring such great mentalities to the game.  Lunch, the tactician, always thinking ahead to the next move.  Studying the game.  He works full time and runs laps around teams with his smarts for the game.  Never a player to doubt.  While his twin Roy can always give you the best shot around, if I were to describe the two using one word it would be SOLID.  Always give 110% game in and game out.  

Winning came to this team naturally.  The most raw skill mixed with the strongest strategy around.  When they aren't missing its tough to come out on top against them.  CLG and Denial tested them every tournament with some moments where
it seemed Evil Geniuses' and every member of the team kicked into the next gear to come out on top.   Where is the ceiling for this team? We've yet to see them top out.  

What is to come in Halo 5?  I don't know that answer quite yet.  The game is so new still, the game is so fresh that it can't be played like any of the old games.

All I know is that I would hate to see them on the main stage on their best day.

-Skai
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Been an EG fan since the day they announced. Massive fan of each player and watch all their streams almost daily. They are without a doubt the cream of the crop when it comes to competitive halo these days. That being said, FB all the way. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

If they can take the next few seasons, I could see it being justified.
But until then, Final Boss is currently the greatest Halo team to have ever played.

EDIT: Okay, third edit is the charm. If we go by roster consistency and event wins to measure "GOAT", The EG roster of Snipedown, Lethul, Lunchbox, Roy, and coach Towey has 5 event wins, all currently in HCS, and all Back to Back.

The Final Boss roster of Ogre1, Ogre2, Walshy, and StrongSide (Not counting the coach, can't find a lot of info on that bit.) has 6 event wins, all MLG.

So, if the current EG roster doesn't change for the next long while and they win 2 more events, I think they could be considered the greatest of all time. Perhaps only 1 more win if it's another consecutive 1st place.

If we had a time machine, EG could beat any form of Final Boss tho.

• Downvote (-1) 3

No, its not even a discussion at this point. They would have to win the next 2-3 seasons to be in the discussion.

And I love EG, so it's not hate towards them at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

there is also the idea that halo 2 was more competitive.

kinda like how many feel LeBron will never be viewed better than Michael Jordan b/c Jordan played during a tougher era.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sure, if they can dominate two Halo games indisputably, win about 15 straight tournaments, and then about a dozen after that, and cap it all off with a grand-grand finals performance of zero losses while maintaining 3/4 the same roster the whole time.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sure, if they can dominate two Halo games indisputably, win about 15 straight tournaments, and then about a dozen after that, and cap it all off with a grand-grand finals performance of zero losses while maintaining 3/4 the same roster the whole time.

Not to mention go on to have one of their players keep kicking ass through every game, which retrospectively makes it look even better.

starts in 06, but Halo 2 had an 05 season

Is there a place where this is archived? I'm interested to see.

The halo esports wiki is great, but still has a lot missing. :(

Is there a place where this is archived? I'm interested to see.

The halo esports wiki is great, but still has a lot missing. :(

for the relevant information, just look up team 3D in the same site.

and before that, they were Shoot to Kill.

The Ogres have been winning tournaments since 2003.  Something like a 90% win ratio.

Not to mention there was a time when, i would argue, there were easily 200 awesome players in halo 2 at each event. Top 64 was usually pretty scary. I would be hard pressed to say there are more than 50 people from H2A to H5 to be afraid of now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not to mention there was a time when, i would argue, there were easily 200 awesome players in halo 2 at each event. Top 64 was usually pretty scary. I would be hard pressed to say there are more than 50 people from H2A to H5 to be afraid of now.

I agree.

2006 was so full of amateur talent. Even in Michigan where I was at the time, local LANs were absolutely insane.

I agree.

2006 was so full of amateur talent. Even in Michigan where I was at the time, local LANs were absolutely insane.

What does this even mean. Get to the bottom of top 32 of pro FFA in Halo 2 and you are talking about players like chrisdaninja, blackjak, dynomike, Waldo.

And outside of the top 24, the teams aren't all that impressive either. Here are some Top 32 4's players from Anaheim 06

Mudbutt

Sativa

Super smiley

Hellboy

Jeffler

Kano

Quantum

These guys weren't bad, but to say they were significantly better than today's AM kids and online warriors is just not true. Fake titties (won an FFA event) 8ball and others still play. If they thought they would be competitive they would be going to more events.

All that said, even if talent were taken as equal, EG would likely have to run the table in H5 to be considered the best ever.

What does this even mean. Get to the bottom of top 32 of pro FFA in Halo 2 and you are talking about players like chrisdaninja, blackjak, dynomike, Waldo.

And outside of the top 24, the teams aren't all that impressive either. Here are some Top 32 4's players from Anaheim 06

Mudbutt

Sativa

Super smiley

Hellboy

Jeffler

Kano

Quantum

These guys weren't bad, but to say they were significantly better than today's AM kids and online warriors is just not true. Fake titties (won an FFA event) 8ball and others still play. If they thought they would be competitive they would be going to more events.

All that said, even if talent were taken as equal, EG would likely have to run the table in H5 to be considered the best ever.

Not everybody competed in the FFA, not every person on every team was a notoriously known player, and the same guys who made top 32 one event might not have made it the next event, dude. Also it's hilarious that you're implying that Blackjak and Dynomike are bad.

Kill3n was better than 97% of today's Halo players and he played with guys like Mongler. There are also always going to be players who squeak into top 8 that don't deserve to be there. Look at Laquatus.

H2 FB was much more impressive, H3 TD was much more impressive, H3 FB was much more impressive, Reach Instinct was much more impressive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not everybody competed in the FFA, not every person on every team was a notoriously known player, and the same guys who made top 32 one event might not have made it the next event, dude. Also it's hilarious that you're implying that Blackjak and Dynomike are bad.

Kill3n was better than 97% of today's Halo players and he played with guys like Mongler. There are also always going to be players who squeak into top 8 that don't deserve to be there. Look at Laquatus.

I literally said in the post that I didn't think they were bad. However I don't think they were significantly better than their current counterparts. Not sure how you measure that, but if it is by skill difference to the current top team then the Top 32 teams in H2 were pretty bad outside of top 8 (I.e had no shot against FB or Carbon).

It wasn't until 07 that a lot of good players started opting out of FFA. Almost everyone was playing in 06 including notorious FFA haters like Shockwave and Gandhi.

Thank you all for the feedback, it was 4 AM and I just started typing while working on a video that I am going to post  to YouTube later this week.  Just wanted some opinions.  I feel like skill wise they're the best.  There are games where any of them can have a monster game.   We'll see, I'm excited to see them in H5.

They got a long way to go before they will be called the GOAT - however, in today's Halo sure, they are the best team. 

Makes me sad to think about all the H4/5 kids that never witnessed the real greatness. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've been watching since 2006, I'm a big fan of the FB/Carbon and Str8 days.  Even TD in H3 then Instinct.  But in today's landscape when the top 8 teams can change a lot easier than it used to be.  In H2 the same teams were Top 8 every event.  H3 that changed with varying placings.  Theres WAY more to it than that but we all know the gist of it.

I feel like a thread like this is made every time a team is doing good for a bit. Not to take anything away from EG, they're a super dominant team right now... just pointing it out:

Str8/TD in Halo 3, Instinct in Reach, Ambush in Halo 4, EG now...

The reality is just that FB maintained a winning streak for longer than there even are events these days. And even if EG did come close to beating them, people would start discrediting them for a million different reasons like talent pool, the fact that some cups are online, skill gap in new games, etc. 

The talent pool argument is a bit weird to me considering that the meta, tactics and communication have evolved by a massive amount over the past 10 years, and all the high level stuff is shared between all pros and online kids, on top of being showed on streams for all to see. Like sure, there were more people back then, but right now the top level is on average a lot closer to a plateau instead of having a big difference between the top 8 or top 16 teams. 

Putting all of this aside, I doubt EG will beat the FB streak regardless. The truth is, with the inconsistency of competitive settings now, upsets are more than possible and they're in fact VERY likely to happen. The fact that Breakout and an overpowered AR/radar are in the settings is a testament to that. I expect a team to cheese the fuck out of a win and cause an upset that'll make people rage over the settings... and the streak might come to an end just like that.

Time will tell though.

Mudbutt

Sativa

Super smiley

Hellboy

Jeffler

Kano

Quantum

As far as I remember, Anaheim was never a top tier event. It's almost like citing someones Toronto 08 placings to show they were a good player. I could be wrong but I always thought the hardest events were east coast and midwest. Orlando would vary.