Sign in to follow this  
TI Inspire

Should rifles be hit scan in Halo 5?

61 members have voted

1. 1. Hit scan rifles in Halo 5?

Since we know that the next flagship title in the Halo series will be supported by dedicated servers. Does this mean that 343 shouldn't make weapons like the Battle Rifle hit scan anymore?

Every single Halo game that has come out since I started playing, which was right at the heart of Halo 2's popularity, I was a huge supporter/demander of hit-scan.  But honestly, even though I play better with hit scan, I'm starting to think that returning to leading your shots MIGHT be a decent idea for Halo 5.  Halo 3 had a bigger skill gap than Reach or 4, and I realize a lot of factors contributed to this, but I feel like having to lead your shots played a big part in it.  Plus, maybe dedicated servers could fix some of the problems with it from Halo 3.  I'm still on the fence though as to what I'd want.

The Sniper Rifle needs it most for gameplay reasons but is also the most unrealistic because it should fire faster projectiles than assault rifles.

It's far too easy to 4 shot in Halo 4 as it is.  With dedicated servers I'd like to see hit scan go for primary rifles.

It's far too easy to 4 shot in Halo 4 as it is. With dedicated servers I'd like to see hit scan go for primary rifles.

That not the fault of hitscan but massive aim assist and bullet magnetism.

• Upvote (+1) 8

This guy knows what's up. You shouldn't have to lead shots coming out of an assault rifle. That's just not how guns work and H3 could be pretty frustrating because of that. They just need to turn down bullet magnetism and aim assist so it actually takes skill to hit someone cross-map or out-BR someone rather than who got the first shot. Also, a better strafe mechanism would create a more substantial skill gap in BR showdowns

• Upvote (+1) 2

Agreeeeeeeeeeed.

Every single Halo game that has come out since I started playing, which was right at the heart of Halo 2's popularity, I was a huge supporter/demander of hit-scan.  But honestly, even though I play better with hit scan, I'm starting to think that returning to leading your shots MIGHT be a decent idea for Halo 5.  Halo 3 had a bigger skill gap than Reach or 4, and I realize a lot of factors contributed to this, but I feel like having to lead your shots played a big part in it.  Plus, maybe dedicated servers could fix some of the problems with it from Halo 3.  I'm still on the fence though as to what I'd want.

Halo 3 was also very inconsistent, Halo Reach NBNS settings had a larger skill gap than H3 IMO the big issue is as Randy said aim assist and bullet magnetism.

The skill gap in Halo 4 can currently be argued either way but if v5 removed sprint and increases movement speed it will be far ahead of H3, (except for sniper lol) 

I'd like Hitscan to stay but aiming really needs to be made significantly harder in the next game.

Thanks

-Ronin

Hitscan >>>

I never want to go back to what we had in Halo 3....ever. What 343 needs to do is lower the auto aim and magnetism...not remove hit scan.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Yes it should. I played h3 competitively on a god connection. I'll never suffer through that again. I feel bad for those on bad or even average connections, that had skill, and tried to play seriously online.

• Upvote (+1) 2

As someone that actually didn't like Halo 3 when it was relevant, did none of you play it on LAN?

LAN H3 >>>

Online H3 <<<<<< motherfucking <

That being said, wouldn't dedicated servers put an end to the bullet registry shit-fest that was online Halo 3? I'm by no means making an argument against hit scan, I'm just asking.

Yes. Consistency is important. Obviously as a community we are going to choose the BR over the DMR, but...

the DMR in v7 Reach >

It is perfectly consistent and is better than any BR we've ever had.

The BR in Halo 2 was hitscan as well and obviously we can see how well that worked out.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes. Consistency is important. Obviously as a community we are going to choose the BR over the DMR, but...

the DMR in v7 Reach >

The BR in Halo 2 was hitscan as well and obviously we can see how well that worked out.

"the DMR............better than any BR we've ever had"

wat

• Upvote (+1) 5

"the DMR............better than any BR we've ever had"

wat

Yup. Maybe H2 BR is on par with it but honestly, it is the most balanced weapon we've ever had in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yup. Maybe H2 BR is on par with it but honestly, it is the most balanced weapon we've ever had in Halo.

CE pistol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fair point. Not too familiar with CE... 

CE Pistol's Competitive Consistency = V7 DMR

Somewhat. The pistol took more kill, but best believe the ZB DMR is the 2nd best utility weapon in halo history. It just goes to show that no matter how you look at it

single shot >>> burst fire ..every time

I really wish H4 was delayed for another year (the game needed it) so we could see v7 flourish a bit more...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Somewhat. The pistol took more kill, but best believe the ZB DMR is the 2nd best utility weapon in halo history. It just goes to show that no matter how you look at it

single shot >>> burst fire ..every time

I really wish H4 was delayed for another year (the game needed it) so we could see v7 flourish a bit more...

And talk about MLG dropping Reach at the worst time.

And talk about MLG dropping Reach at the worst time.

crazy shit huh? such a shame man..the game turned into something special with v7..

the DMR in v7 Reach >

How can you even say it was better than the Halo 2 BR after TU.. This is including BXR and RRX. If it doesn't include those, then yeah, the Reach DMR might be equal.

How can you even say it was better than the Halo 2 BR after TU.. This is including BXR and RRX. If it doesn't include those, then yeah, the Reach DMR might be equal.

Those are glitches, they have nothing to do with the weapon's range, auto aim/magnetism and overall consistency, which is the best way to compare weapons. The ZB DMR is way better than H2's  because it does those things I mentioned better. Did you forget how high the auto aim was in H2 which made the BR extremely easy to point and shoot?

BXR RRX have nothing to do with the hitscan or consistency of the weapon, and how it puts players on an even playing field in a competitive setting.