valaea

Rank All Halo Multiplayer Experiences on 1-10 Scale

h1 - 9

h2 - 9

h3 - 5

hr - 4

nbns hr - 6

h4 - 2

h5 - current state - 5? could be a 6 or 7 with tweaks IMO (obvious improvement with radar out etc.)

Are those ratings based on LAN? (when applicable)  

Am I hip for liking a great game? Or am I hip because I like socializing and playing on LAN? I know some people are really introverted so maybe they can't see why people like face to face gaming.

Hce is obviously great but these people who are like hce- 18/10, everything else -14/10 just look stupid.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Okay, but you could've slapped Reach and H4 in place of H2 and H3 in terms of release order and the community would've still gone through the same growing pains.

I don't necessarily disagree 100% with that statement, but I disagree majorly with it. I believe there would've been progression if you went Reach > H4 > H2 > H3.

We're talking about multiplayer experience right?

Halo Reach: Amazing UI. Terrible maps. Do I need to explain the shooting mechanics? Haha I think me and you have been very vocal about that. Horrible ranking system. Two ranked playlist. Limited theater. 

Halo 4: Worse UI. Equally terrible maps if not worse. Terrible settings (ordnance, weapons disappear in 4 seconds, etc.).

Halo 2: Probably the best ranking system to date. Great map selection. Clans. Variety of playlist options.

Halo 3: The best matchmaking system to date. (To4 vs To4 blah blah blah). Worse utility weapon start. Better power weapon start. Better map selections than H2 and H3. Best balance of ranked/social playlist options of any Halo game. Theater mode. File share (not to mention the Bungie picks of the month or whatever). Simple and effective UI.

I agree there were some things I didn't like in each and every iteration of Halo, however, Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 were nothing but progression in terms of experience (for clarification, NOT competitiveness). 

In terms of overall quality IMO, not necessarily my personal enjoyment of each game.

Halo 1: 10

Halo 2: 7

Halo 3: 7

Reach pre-patch: 2

Reach post-patch: 5

Halo 4: 4

Halo 5: 6 (a bit early for this though)

As far as I'm concerned default Reach is the worst iteration of Halo ever made. Bungie really drove the franchise off a cliff with that one.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't necessarily disagree 100% with that statement, but I disagree majorly with it. I believe there would've been progression if you went Reach > H4 > H2 > H3.

We're talking about multiplayer experience right?

Halo Reach: Amazing UI. Terrible maps. Do I need to explain the shooting mechanics? Haha I think me and you have been very vocal about that. Horrible ranking system. Two ranked playlist. Limited theater. 

Halo 4: Worse UI. Equally terrible maps if not worse. Terrible settings (ordnance, weapons disappear in 4 seconds, etc.).

Halo 2: Probably the best ranking system to date. Great map selection. Clans. Variety of playlist options.

Halo 3: The best matchmaking system to date. (To4 vs To4 blah blah blah). Worse utility weapon start. Better power weapon start. Better map selections than H2 and H3. Best balance of ranked/social playlist options of any Halo game. Theater mode. File share (not to mention the Bungie picks of the month or whatever). Simple and effective UI.

I agree there were some things I didn't like in each and every iteration of Halo, however, Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 were nothing but progression in terms of experience (for clarification, NOT competitiveness). 

Well, obviously my take on it was the hands-on "how does it feel to play" aspect of the games, rather than the extraneous features that made them better. Like, I'm not going to give H2 marks for having the most delightfully simple lobby system of all the games when that was a product of the times.

Also, while I agree that the maps are better in H2 and H3 than they are in Reach and H4, I don't agree that much. Lockout, Warlock, Guardian, Pit, etc. were some seriously bad maps at least for slayer.

Well, obviously my take on it was the hands-on "how does it feel to play" aspect of the games, rather than the extraneous features that made them better. Like, I'm not going to give H2 marks for having the most delightfully simple lobby system of all the games when that was a product of the times.

Also, while I agree that the maps are better in H2 and H3 than they are in Reach and H4, I don't agree that much. Lockout, Warlock, Guardian, Pit, etc. were some seriously bad maps at least for slayer.

I gotcha man lol. Putting it into those terms is a little less cut and dry for me, but I would still put them well above Halo Reach and H4. But I can't really debate that. That's just my personal opinions about the games. The only thing I would make a case for in this sense is bloom and H4 magnetism and descope. Fuck those mechanics.

Agreed with the maps though. 

Except Warlock. Warlock was my baby no matter what gametype I played on it haha. Lockout oddball was a hell of a lot more balanced than slayer because it made BR setup actually breakable for example. So I will agree with you there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As far as I'm concerned default Reach is the worst iteration of Halo ever made. Bungie really drove the franchise off a cliff with that one.

I literally have no idea how anyone could playtest vanilla Reach and think "this is a fun experience" ... Armor Lock and full bloom alone make vanilla Reach the worst Halo ever

• Upvote (+1) 1

I literally have no idea how anyone could playtest vanilla Reach and think "this is a fun experience" ... Armor Lock and full bloom alone make vanilla Reach the worst Halo ever

Was even worse on release where you stuck someone, he armour locks and survives. Also the "no bleedthrough sprint and double beatdown herp derps" were tragic.

Halo CE: 8

Halo 2: 9

Halo 3: 10

Halo Reach: 5

Halo 4: 6

H2A: 7 (working)

Halo 5: 5

Almost gave you a +rep then saw the h2a: 7 :wutface:

CE: 8

H2: 9

H3: 7

H:Reach (No bloom): 5ish

H4: 2

H5: 5-6ish right now, could/will definitely improve hopefully.

CE: 8

H2: 9

H3: 8

Vanilla Reach: 5 (BTB made this game playable in the slightest)

V7 Reach: 8 (Better maps and a ranking system and it would be higher)

H4: -

H5: 7 (Could be an 8 with very little changes)

H1: 10/10 (nostalgia glasses off. The game really is that much better)

H2: 6/10

H3: 3/10

Default Reach: 3/10

ZBNS Reach: 6/10

H4: 3/10

H5: 3/10

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

h1 - 9

h2 - 9

h3 - 5

hr - 4

nbns hr - 6

h4 - 2

h5 - current state - 5? could be a 6 or 7 with tweaks IMO (obvious improvement with radar out etc.)

What makes you put H2 on the same level as CE?

HCE: 9.5

H2: 8.5

H3: 7

HR: 4

HR v7: 6

H4: 5

H5: 7

This is mostly a MP rating.

I hate H3, but gave it such a high rating for what it brought into Halo. Forge and Theater.

HR v7 would be higher if it was based simply upon its fixes into the game, but playing 3 vastly different settings upon 3 lists of playlists really ruins it.

I put H5 on the same level as H3 because I'm having a lot of fun with it up to this point. Its the first halo that I've wanted to just play all day since H2. Despite its flaws (sprint, not that great of a map pool, magnetism, radar, etc) I'm finding a lot of fun in it even if its not what I wanted from a Halo game.

Can you please play the game before you rate it?

Don't need to. I understand halo well enough to know the objective impact that sprint, thruster, and kill times above one second have on gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 6

If I would have to guess...is that you as an individual could do SERIOUS damage without teamshooting and such, something that we also saw in CE with skilled players.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Obviously when you are stomping everyone at nearly every tourney that is going to be pretty fun.  

Halo: Combat Evolved: 9/10 

Comments: If host wasn't as powerful I'd give it a 10.

Halo 2: 9/10

Comments: Whilst SMG starts is the devil, map variety, graphic/HUD/gametype improvments was fantastic. BTB online is also extremely good.

Halo 3: 9/10

Comments: Why so high? Forge and Theatre carried this game so hard. Competitively it's a 6/10 but socially it's one of the best games ever made.

Halo: Reach: 6/10

Comments: Bloooooom.

Halo: Reach ZBNS: 8/10

Comments: Best game since Halo 2 competitively.

Halo 4: 4/10

Comments: Got rid of everything that made Halo unique except for shields.

Halo 5: Guardians: 6/10

Comments: This game badly needs forge, but it also needs some tweaks. It can be so much better and hopefully it will be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H1: 9/10 Best 2v2 by far.

H2: 9/10 Best 4v4.

H3: 8/10 Best social game by a ridiculous margin. Not even up for debate

HR Default: 5/10 Good btb and customs, shitty gameplay. Fuck bloom and abilities, I sincerely wonder what the hell Bungie was thinking. Lead to Halo's downward spiral

HR V7: 8/10 Too little, too late, unfortunately. Most of the competitive community was gone. If only this was what the base game was like, imagine what state Halo would be in now.

H4: 4/10 At least bloom was gone. Unfortunately, unlike Reach, it had crappy customs, so it had nothing going for it except good graphics.

H5: 8/10 Game is very good, best since H3 in my opinion. Radar needs to go, and forge should have been at launch, but overall a very good game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

CE: 9/10

I have little comp experience with the game, but several hundred hours as very casual player. Universally awesome gameplay and the definitive Halo game.

H2: 7/10

It appears as a strong game now due to our circumstances with future games, but was widely criticized in its own time. It was largely saved by Bungie's patches and those sexy free map packs. A solid "modern" Halo game under the right settings  and patches.

H3: 6/10

H3 is H2 with BR spread and way less magnetism, basically. IMO, its below average gameplay was heavily displaced by Forge and Theater and all the new social features of the day.

HR Vanilla: -/10. We don't speak of Vanilla Reach. 

HR NSNB: 7/10. 343's biggest accomplishment in my eyes was making this turd not only playable, but competitive. Its also good that MLG got their shit together and cut down on some bad mechanics they were flirting with. It was a little too late, but Reach still got a small competitive revival out of it.

H4: 4/10. 343's biggest failure in my eyes. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but the sheer number of bad mechanics in that game is disappointing to this day.

• Upvote (+1) 1