H2, H3, Reach, H5: 7/10

H4: 4/10

H1 - 9

H2 - 10

H3 - 9

Reach - 1

Halo 4 - 3

Halo 5 - 7

These might be a little biased, but I tried not to judge on competitive bias, but my literal multiplayer experience. Halo 1-3 were awesome times regardless of game mechanics for multiplayer. This portion of the multiplayer experience was still very much face to face for me, and that also improved the experience.

I never hated a Halo game at release more than I hated Reach. Hell, I think Duke Nukem Forever was less of a disappointment for me. Literally gave the disc to a friend a little under 2 weeks after release for free.

Halo 4 - meh, not as bad as reach but awful in its own way.

Halo 5 has been pretty good. Im having a lot of fun playing with friends but haven't experienced much of the game solo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

HCE & H2: didn't play until MCC so I'm not counting them

H3: 7/10 

HR: 5/10

HR V7: 4/10 the gave just felt weird after these settings

H4: 3/10 this might be a little generous.

MCC: 2/10

H5: 7/10 needs radar removed, auto nerf, and social playlist. 

So many hce hipsters lol

Am I hip for liking a great game? Or am I hip because I like socializing and playing on LAN? I know some people are really introverted so maybe they can't see why people like face to face gaming.

People rating Halo 5 above H2/H3 LOL play the game for 5+ years before making thy claim. Seriously I know this is all opinions but some are very questionable.

That's what I'm saying. I have a feeling H5 won't age nearly as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

HCE 8-9 [Depends on the version] (One of, it not the most competitive Halo games. Being someone who's played all 3 versions, the experience shifts from version to version)

H2 4 (Completely destroyed the weapon sandbox and shit on the fundamentals of CE. Not a big fan of that)

H3 5 (Has the same problems as Halo 2 made worse with a bad netcode. Fortunately, Forge and other added features are a saving grace, and its BTB is better)

HR 6 (Hello Random Number God. It's marginally better than H3 though.)

H4 4 (Ordinance drops. Nuff said.)

H4 [TU/MCC] 6 (Overall, it's not a bad game without Ordinance drops. Good gunplay, great netcode, an actual weapon sandbox...)

H5 7 (It can easily become an 8 or 9 with improvements)

That's what I'm saying. I have a feeling H5 won't age nearly as well.

in 3 years no one will look back on it. These new Halo games aren't unique enough to make people play them past their intended life span. It's crazy to me that people are rating Halo 5 above anything except Halo 4. The game has barely been out and the content is so damn minimal.
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

in 3 years no one will look back on it. These new Halo games aren't unique enough to make people play them past their intended life span. It's crazy to me that people are rating Halo 5 above anything except Halo 4. The game has barely been out and the content is so damn minimal.

So we can't judge whether the game is better than 2 or 3 but it's fine to say it'll be forgotten in 3 years?

Right...

8 - h1 - didnt play much on the original XB but played a lot on MCC. 8/10 just because it lacked polish other halos had

9 - h2 - played from 04-07, polished, great maps, sandbox could have been better though. Strong maps. Set a new standard for online gaming

9 - h3 - plays  07-12, had a lot of latency issues in online play but was very balanced and had a lot of strong maps. Set a new standard for FPS games 

4 - REACH - I never really played after NB/NS, I think I have like 5k total kills. played from 10-12, just didnt really like it and found myself back on H3, armor lock LOL

5 - Halo 4 - I was ok just moreso a game you could play to screw around in. No armor lock TYBG

7.5 Halo 5 - Needs work but has potential. Great mechanics with a skill gap in mind. Needs more gametypes and maps, hard to truly rate a game when there isnt even a true tourney arranged yet/no forge/no social yet

So we can't judge whether the game is better than 2 or 3 but it's fine to say it'll be forgotten in 3 years?

Right...

Um not accurately no. You are basing honeymoon Halo 5 against aged every other title. But hey if you honestly like this game more than any of the original trilogy than good for you enjoy Halo 5.

29lhZlU.png

dRa0cOj.png

EDIT: Changed competitive H3 to a "3" because fuck the BR

No way in hell is competitive H2 even remotely close to Halo Reach or H4 lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

No way in hell is competitive H2 even remotely close to Halo Reach or H4 lol. 

Competitive Halo (stripped-down settings) from 2004 to 2014 was basically the exact same flatlined experience the whole time.

Halo 5 would've continued that trend had we actually been in charge of the settings.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 7

Competitive Halo (stripped-down settings) from 2004 to 2014 was basically the exact same flatlined experience the whole time.

Halo 5 would've continued that trend had we actually been in charge of the settings.

I don't agree. A lot of people differentiated on the H5 settings out of the box and in the later stages of our Weapon Start thread/poll, only then was the BR/Pistol option voted the most. Up until then, a lot of people based on the information we had at the time, much preferred a buffed pistol start. 

Also, while the experience (stripped-down) was identical for each and every Halo (honestly, you can make the same argument for the current H5 to be honest), it differentiated in the fact that each of these game's meta evolved over time. In Halo 3 for example, we had freaking Isolation flag to begin with.. But thankfully, as we realized how the game is played and studied how the maps balance coinciding with gameplay, we were able to come up with much better options, exciting maps, and settings Halo 3 as we progressed.

It was exciting to watch. People attended and spectated these events live and online and did nothing but grow throughout H2 and H3. Core competitive Halo will honestly never change. It will still have a very similar playstyle for each and every game. What will change is how the strategies to take over parts of the map for example (a core competitive element) due to Sprint, Thruster, etc.

In terms of a multiplayer experience, in reference to the theme of this thread. Halo 2 (and I hate to say it) Halo 3 is by far still light years ahead of post Halo 3 games.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Okay, but you could've slapped Reach and H4 in place of H2 and H3 in terms of release order and the community would've still gone through the same growing pains.

• Upvote (+1) 1