valaea

Rank All Halo Multiplayer Experiences on 1-10 Scale

You guys have to learn to tune out the rep bar lol. It means absolutely nothing. When you guys keep that in the back of your mind every single time you post, you're going to lose your originality and start writing inorganic posts. I've been neg repped plenty of times. Does it change my opinion? Obviously not; I'm an adult allowed to formulate my own opinion. But I've also never posted something along the lines of "I can't believe I'm getting negged for this." For one, you're just asking to get negged again, and secondly, it literally adds no value to your post (in which using your words, would be valid considering it adds little to no value to the discussion). 

In this example, you're way less likely to get negged if you post why you think Halo CE is one of the worst multiplayer experiences as opposed to just stating "Halo CE 4/10." Especially when you're on a competitive Halo forum where CE is majorly regarded as one of the best and most competitive Halos in the franchise. You already knew beforehand that it was going to be a controversial opinion.

All I'm saying is, try not to act so confused as to why you're being neg repped and furthermore, just ignore it. It's just a stupid colored bar haha.  :laugh:

People clearly do care about it though, why do you think people constantly post memes in the HCS thread? Reddit's massive success is probably entirely due to the very same system. Hell, conceptually it's no different from someone grinding for ranks in Halo, they're both meaningless numbers next to an anonymous username. 

It's a fact that people like knowing others agree with them and for many something like a rep system is addicting, don't deny it's quite satisfying to post something and have a ton of upvotes. The opposite applies to downvotes, it's discouraging to see your posts get negged. People downvoting anything they disagree with fosters an environment where people are discouraged from posting controversial opinions which completely flies in the face of the very purpose of a forum. It encourages a hive mind.

I personally don't care all that much about rep, I regularly argue against the general opinion and people neg me all the time. I actually think it's quite funny when a post of mine gets a ton of downvotes. That said I can still recognise the negative impact downvotes (and to a lesser extent upvotes) have on actual discussion. 

Also I would be willing to bet that even if he had posted a perfectly reasonable explanation for why he didn't like CE it still would have got a ton of downvotes.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

People clearly do care about it though

Maybe we should have a system where we can like/dislike every upvote/downvote so we know how everyone feels about everything.   :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

People clearly do care about it though, why do you think people constantly post memes in the HCS thread? Reddit's massive success is probably entirely due to the very same system. Hell, conceptually it's no different from someone grinding for ranks in Halo, they're both meaningless numbers next to an anonymous username. 

It's a fact that people like knowing others agree with them and for many something like a rep system is addicting, don't deny it's quite satisfying to post something and have a ton of upvotes. The opposite applies to downvotes, it's discouraging to see your posts get negged. People downvoting anything they disagree with fosters an environment where people are discouraged from posting controversial opinions which completely flies in the face of the very purpose of a forum. It encourages a hive mind.

I personally don't care all that much about rep, I regularly argue against the general opinion and people neg me all the time. I actually think it's quite funny when a post of mine gets a ton of downvotes. That said I can still recognise the negative impact downvotes (and to a lesser extent upvotes) have on actual discussion. 

Also I would be willing to bet that even if he had posted a perfectly reasonable explanation for why he didn't like CE it still would have got a ton of downvotes.

Most of the time if I see a controversial opinion it doesn't get negged if there is a very well thought out reason for it.

Saying Halo 4 is better than CE is almost indefensible though. 4 is the worst Halo by a mile.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Most of the time if I see a controversial opinion it doesn't get negged if there is a very well thought out reason for it.

Saying Halo 4 is better than CE is almost indefensible though. 4 is the worst Halo by a mile.

Not sure, if I was Ace I might argue it, CE never made him 200 grand  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not sure, if I was Ace I might argue it, CE never made him 200 grand  :kappa:

Lol, something like that would be the only defensible reason. "I have blinding nostalgia from winning a huge tournament that made me rich!"

CE: 10/10

H2: 5/10 (Out of the Box) 8/10 (Post-Patch MLG)

H3: 4/10 (Out of the Box) 7/10 (Post-Patch MLG)

Reach: 4/10 (Out of the Box) 8/10 (Post-Patch MLG)

H4: 5/10

H2A: 6/10
H5: 8/10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

multiplayer experience Halo CE is objectively inferior

Your taste in games is inferior.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'm aware people care about it, but if you sit on here and make a big deal about it (particularly, pointing out that you're getting negged) you're literally asking to get trolled because you're admitting on a relatively anonymous message board that something bothers you. Rule 1 on the internet: Never let the enemy know they're winning lol. I'm obviously being facetious but you get my point. Definitely quite a bit different from a skill ranking in Halo but I won't go there. I get what you're trying to say.

Of course people like knowing people agree with them.. It's simple human nature, doesn't really need to be explained. But if you're taking every single thing on the internet so seriously to the point where you don't want to engage in a conversation because you're that nervous about a number next to your post then I don't know what to say. 

I'd have to disagree on your last statement though. You rarely see major downvotes on a well thought out post. You may see a couple -1, -2's here and there but you won't see a -10 on something constructive at all. Please find me one if you believe so.

The only time you start seeing them is when a majorly unpopular opinion gets posted, i.e.:

Halo CE: 4/10

Halo 5: 9/10

Followed by this, two posts later

lololol I can't believe u guise neg that post, u r all sheep, kill yourselves sheep, amirite? lololol

Like come on man, let's be serious here haha.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Your taste in games is inferior.

Right, god forbid people from having different opinions in a competitive forum, never mind ones that are completely justified.

I love CE, but the online experience was awful. It's a great competitive shooter, but only for LANs.

Right, god forbid people from having different opinions in a competitive forum, never mind ones that are completely justified.

I love CE, but the online experience was awful. It's a great competitive shooter, but only for LANs.

When you say the online experience, are you talking about OG CE over Xbc?  Because for what we had, it was pretty ground breaking, and for those of us with solid connections on the east coast, a total game changer.  PC had (has) its netcode issues which unfortunately plagues MCC as well, but for a game that was never meant to be online, and after spending weekends as a kid lugging shit all around PA and Jersey for LANs, it hasn't done too bad.

When you say the online experience, are you talking about OG CE over Xbc?  Because for what we had, it was pretty ground breaking, and for those of us with solid connections on the east coast, a total game changer.  PC had (has) its netcode issues which unfortunately plagues MCC as well, but for a game that was never meant to be online, and after spending weekends as a kid lugging shit all around PA and Jersey for LANs, it hasn't done too bad.

Yup, Halo PC.

UNRBEIq.jpg

I was spoiled by UT 2003 and CS 1.6.

• Upvote (+1) 1

-says it's ok to have different opinions

-posts his opinion as fact

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

-says it's ok to have different opinions

-posts his opinion as fact

The vast majority of CE players would agree that the online experience is bad.

I'd easily give it a 8/10 rating if we're talking solely about LAN, and that's for the PC version.

Factoring in online play drops it to a 5/10, and that's for MCC. Halo PC is much worse.

(Source: Over a hundred hours into Halo PC, mostly BTB. I wasn't a competitive player, but I experienced this stuff firsthand)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

These are based off the last competitive settings used in tournaments (v8 for H3, v7 for Reach, etc)

H1: 9

H2: 8

H3: 7

HR: 5

H4: 3

H2A: 6

H5: 4

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd easily give it a 8/10 rating if we're talking solely about LAN, and that's for the PC version.

Factoring in online play drops it to a 5/10, and that's for MCC. Halo PC is much worse.

(Source: Over a hundred hours into Halo PC, mostly BTB. I wasn't a competitive player, but I experienced this stuff firsthand)

I hate your opinion and I will now neg you.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I disagree, I didn't get to experience the competitive aspect of Halo CE until the MCC came out and despite knowing that it's an objectively inferior port compared to the OG xbox port of Halo 1 I still rate my experience playing it over every other Halo game that I've played.

Even though the Halo 1 port on the MCC is plagued with a ton of bugs I still was able to appreciate the game design philosophy and learn the basic fundamentals of the game(how the guns function, how the melee mechanics work, how the item spawn system works, button combos, quick camo, nade tricks, how the spawn system functions, and Etc). Even though the MCC port of H1 is an objectively inferior port compared to the OG H1 port I'm still able to play quality competitive games by organizing 2's custom games, I still strive to improve at the game by pushing myself to face better opponents. 

Also playing the OG Halo 1 over XLink Kai and playing Halo PC on @@stunt_man servers are great alternatives for those who can't lan the OG Halo 1, even though you don't get the same exact experience as lanning the original game. http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/11775-current-state-of-halo-pc-the-xbox-experience/page-1

• Upvote (+1) 5

I disagree, I didn't get to experience the competitive aspect of Halo CE until the MCC came out and despite knowing that it's an objectively inferior port compared to the OG xbox port of Halo 1 I still rate my experience playing it over every other Halo game that I've played.

Even though the Halo 1 port on the MCC is plagued with a ton of bugs I still was able to appreciate the game design philosophy and learn the basic fundamentals of the game(how the guns function, how the melee mechanics work, how the item spawn system works, button combos, quick camo, nade tricks, how the spawn system functions, and Etc). Even though the MCC port of H1 is an objectively inferior port compared to the OG H1 port I'm still able to play quality competitive games by organizing 2's custom games, I still strive to improve at the game by pushing myself to face better opponents. 

Also playing the OG Halo 1 over XLink Kai and playing Halo PC on @@stunt_man servers are great alternatives for those who can't lan the OG Halo 1, even though you don't get the same exact experience as lanning the original game. http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/11775-current-state-of-halo-pc-the-xbox-experience/page-1

Read that.

I love CE. It's a great game fundamentally, hence why I gave it an 8/10. But there are some glaring issues such as slidey movement, poor jumping, and blatant spawn problems in BTB, most of which are refinement issues that would bump it up to a 10/10 if fixed. If I were going to rate CE, I'd use the LAN score, not the online score.

Regarding online, I'm not looking for perfection, I'm simply looking for something decent. MCC CE is a roulette if you're playing off-host, and while it's certainly better than Halo PC was, the netcode is pretty bad. In comparison, I still hop onto UT every once in a while and it plays wonderfully online.

LOL at calling the MCC port of Halo 1 a 5/10.

It's a poor port yeah but it mostly works, the better players still always come out on top (name me one tournament where that didn't happen), and its online network consistency honestly works as well as Halo 2-4's did IMO. Or are we forgetting how bad the netplay was for those games? Halo 3 especially.

EDIT: Yes, some PC games have better netplay. But I'm saying comparing it to other Halo games it's as good as them thus stupid to give it such a bad rating for that reason.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

EDIT: Yes, some PC games have better netplay. But I'm saying comparing it to other Halo games it's as good as them thus stupid to give it such a bad rating for that reason.

If we let it slide on the basis of its comparison with other Halo games, then we're closing our eyes to the problem. Just because it's playable doesn't mean that it isn't bad, especially if we're going by 2016 standards.

If I were in charge of MCC, I would've prioritized upgrading the netcodes of all the games to at least Halo 4's level. That would've made MCC CE an 8/10 in my book.

If we let it slide on the basis of its comparison with other Halo games, then we're closing our eyes to the problem. Just because it's playable doesn't mean that it isn't bad, especially if we're going by 2016 standards.

If I were in charge of MCC, I would've prioritized upgrading the netcodes of all the games to at least Halo 4's level. That would've made MCC CE an 8/10 in my book.

The whole point of this topic is comparing Haloes to each other.

If you give Halo 1 a 5/10 based on online play in MCC then the other games all have to be below it then.

Halo 4 doesn't have great netcode. It has high bullet magnetism and hitscan weapons. Compared to CE which has projectile weapons. 343i did temporarily make CE hitscan with high bullet magnetism and the consistency was very good, but too easy. It's not perfect right now but I'd rather have a little inconsistency instead of getting jump 3'd by noobs.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you give Halo 1 a 5/10 based on online play in MCC then the other games all have to be below it then.

Hm? No it isn't. Who gave you that idea?

1 = terrible, 10 = perfection

I'm curious about TB's general opinion on this, because it's hard to tell what the silent majority thinks ... especially in terms of H5 versus previous entries in the series

See? They're arbitrary rankings of 1 through 10 based on opinion.

Halo CE being a 5/10 for online play means that it's not bad, but not good either. It's wholesomely average.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 doesn't have great netcode. It has high bullet magnetism and hitscan weapons. Compared to CE which has projectile weapons. 343i did temporarily make CE hitscan with high bullet magnetism and the consistency was very good, but too easy. It's not perfect right now but I'd rather have a little inconsistency instead of getting jump 3'd by noobs.

I get some pretty crappy hit reg some games, terrible actually, but when it does work it feels good. Even when CE is "good" it is better than any other halo multiplayer wise imo. Judging a game from 2001 based on its "online experience" when the game shipped before XBL was even a thing makes no sense anyways. It was the game that truly proved FPS games could work on consoles, but there were no ranks so 4/10. #logic. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I get some pretty crappy hit reg some games, terrible actually, but when it does work it feels good. Even when CE is "good" it is better than any other halo multiplayer wise imo. Judging a game from 2001 based on its "online experience" when the game shipped before XBL was even a thing makes no sense anyways. It was the game that truly proved FPS games could work on consoles, but there were no ranks so 4/10. #logic.

The whole point of this thread is to get people's opinions, I find matchmaking a big deal for a good multiplayer experience, saying it's illogical to not like a game because of its lack of features is irrational. IMO the maps on Halo CE were mostly not thought out, the movement was awkward and fidgety and the pistol was too OP. I'm allowed to have that opinion, sure if the game had a proper matchmaking system it would be bumped up above Halo 4 on my list however I had a better and prolonged experience on Halo 4 due to the matchmaking.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

CE: 5/10  I love CE and it is my favorite Halo game, but my personal multi player experience on the original version was not great.  I didn't have internet that could run the game and getting a bunch of friends together was a hassle.  As poorly done as MCC was I would give CE a 9/10, but I am raking this on my experience with the og ce.

H2: 2/10.  I've never liked H2, I find the game to be very, very boring. 

H3: 8/10.  H3 had it's extremely frustrating moments but I enjoyed the heck out of it. I not only looked forward to playing it, I also looked forward to watching tournaments.

HR: 2/10.  Outside of Squad Slayer with a friend of mine this game sucked.  I don't know why some people go crazy over V7, it was just a slightly less crappy version of the game out of the box.

H4: 6/10: Out of the box this game sucked.  Later in the games life they released Slayer Pro settings, those were fun.  It's probably the most fun I've had playing Doubles on any Halo game outside of CE.

H5: 6/10.  I hate autos, sprint, matchmaking and many other things about this game but I find myself playing it and enjoying it for the most part.

• Upvote (+1) 2