valaea

Rank All Halo Multiplayer Experiences on 1-10 Scale

CE - 8.5 (Evolutionary [no pun intended] at the time. The best neighborhood game since Goldeneye).

H2 - 9.5 (Experiences meaning the first time I played a Halo game online. It blew me away and therefore has the highest ranking).

H3 - 7.5 (The game played worse than 2 but man, the experiences. Social, fileshare, forge, customs, etc).

HR - 5.0 (ZBNS helped, but it was when I started to lose interest in Halo. Forge/customs were fun)

H4 - 2.0 (Played 9 games of it and quit)

H5 - 7.0 (Lack of social playlists holds it back but man oh man, gameplay feels good. Needs tweaks for sure though: no radar, 4sk, etc).

CE - 9

H2 - 9

H3 - 7.5 

HR - 3 (6.5 with ZBNS)

H4 - 4 (7 with no-ordnance Legendary settings, as seen on HMCC)

H5 - 8 (expecting this to approach a 9 with forge/other updates)

• Downvote (-1) 1

i usually see multiplayer as competitive, BTB and party / social

CE - Competitive: 9.5, BTB: 7 (not a fan of the approach to map design, too large and open), Social: 8 (mainly because of CE:PC)

H2 - Compeititve: 8.5, BTB: 9, Social: 8

H3 - Competitive: 6.5, BTB: 8 (clunkyness and some maps let it down), Social: 9.5 (largely in part to custom games)

Reach - Competitive: 4.5, BTB: 8.25 (i liked the system more than h3, maps, bloom and AAs off spawn instead of on map were the let down), Social: 7

Reach V7 - Competitive: 8.25

4 - Competitive: 2 (poor maps, poor settings), BTB: 2 (poor maps, horrible vehicle play, chaotic), Social: 1 (no diversity)

5 - Competitive 3.5 (sprint, charge, slide, clamber, stabilizers, ground pound easy kills, strong autos, promethean nade, 3 tiered system, some bad maps, no gametypes all set it back for me, can improve with tweaks), BTB: 3 (including warzone), Social: 2 (yet again very little to do)

i usually see multiplayer as competitive, BTB and party / social

CE - Competitive: 9.5, BTB: 7 (not a fan of the approach to map design, too large and open), Social: 8 (mainly because of CE:PC)

H2 - Compeititve: 8.5, BTB: 9, Social: 8

H3 - Competitive: 6.5, BTB: 8 (clunkyness and some maps let it down), Social: 9.5 (largely in part to custom games)

Reach - Competitive: 4.5, BTB: 8.25 (i liked the system more than h3, maps, bloom and AAs off spawn instead of on map were the let down), Social: 7

Reach V7 - Competitive: 8.25

4 - Competitive: 2 (poor maps, poor settings), BTB: 2 (poor maps, horrible vehicle play, chaotic), Social: 1 (no diversity)

5 - Competitive 3.5 (sprint, charge, slide, clamber, stabilizers, ground pound easy kills, strong autos, promethean nade, 3 tiered system, some bad maps, no gametypes all set it back for me, can improve with tweaks), BTB: 3 (including warzone), Social: 2 (yet again very little to do)

You can knock Halo 3 competitively all you'd like, that's fine.  But if that game isn't a 10 for BTB and Social then I don't know what will ever be.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You can knock Halo 3 competitively all you'd like, that's fine.  But if that game isn't a 10 for BTB and Social then I don't know what will ever be.

Its hard being on this forum when Halo 3 is your favorite game of all time

• Upvote (+1) 6

I thought 3 to be one of the weakest games for BTB.

h1 - 9

h2 - 9

h3 - 5

hr - 4

nbns hr - 6

h4 - 2

h5 - current state - 5? could be a 6 or 7 with tweaks IMO (obvious improvement with radar out etc.)

He lives!

Its hard being on this forum when Halo 3 is your favorite game of all time

Halo 3 has a special place in every Forger's heart.

Halo 3 has a special place in every Forger's heart.

That it does, or at least the ones that were around at the time.

• CE - 9.9/10
  • H2  8/10
  • H3 - 7/10 (MLG settings)
  • Default Reach - 5/10
  • Reach v7  - 8/10
  • Halo 4 - 3/10
  • Halo 5 - From beta experience and what I've seen in vids, 5/10

That it does, or at least the ones that were around at the time.

Remember wire? That was fun.

When Forge gets released, I'll pick a helm and start documenting stuff again.

Halo CE: 9

H2 Post Patch: 8.5

H3: 7.5

HR Bloom: 4

HR Post Patch: 6.5

H4: 2

H5: 7.0 (Potential to increase) 

CE- 9.5

H2- 5

H3 - 7.5

HR - 3

H4 - 5.5

H5 - 3.5

I'm sorry but if you rate H4 above H5 you have no idea what you're talking about. H5 may not be great, but leaps and bounds better than H4. Also H2 a 5, but H3 a 7.5? What?

Experience/Nostalgia/Memories

CE: 6/10

H2: 10/10

H3: 8/10

Reach: 4/10

H4: 5/10

Quality of Game

CE: 9.75/10

H2: 9.5/10

H3: 8.25/10

Default Reach: 2/10

NBNS Reach: 7/10

H4: 5/10

H5: 6/10

h3 got the best value for social from me, i don't rank things 10 so a 9.5 is pretty much the top, only sandbox experience that i've had similar was halo pc, halo 2, reach and quake 3 and i found h3 the most fun.

as for BTB i liked the settings BTB.net came up with and rats nest and standoff remain as some of my favourites, the vehicles were also great. the imo shit weapon sandbox and valhalla, sandtrap, avalanche being commonly played made me like it less, i don't like overly large, really open maps, for the same reason i never liked hoth, endor or geonosis in battlefront, i'm into more compact maps.

I'm sorry but if you rate H4 above H5 you have no idea what you're talking about. H5 may not be great, but leaps and bounds better than H4. Also H2 a 5, but H3 a 7.5? What?

Doubles Pro H4 was more fun than any H2 gametype I've ever played, just like H3 was more fun than H2 by a mile.

Also, my H5 ranking can change, but as of now I find the game very hard to enjoy.  Looking back through my list I suppose I could give H5 a 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

h1 - 9

h2 - 9

h3 - 5

hr - 4

nbns hr - 6

h4 - 2

h5 - current state - 5? could be a 6 or 7 with tweaks IMO (obvious improvement with radar out etc.)

This except I would probably rate H3 one or two points higher. I'm 29 and I've played every Halo game semi competitively. I wouldn't have given Halo 5 a rating yet because I've been struggling to find the time to play it. Getting old and having responsibilities sucks.

Wish I would have gotten in here and posted this before Ogre came in. It would have validated my opinion. Now it just looks like I'm copying his.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I based mine upon fun and how long I played the game for 

CE: 9/10 (The Depth and the drive to get better keeps drawing me back)

H2: 8/10 (Great Competitive game and Also a fun game with friends) 

H3: 6/10 (The hit reg and blood shots turns me away. Fun with friends)

HR: 8/10 (So much time spent in customs with friends playing insanely fun maps)

HR ZBNS: 9/10 (Not only a good game but with ZBNS the game is just the most fun I had playing Halo Competitively)

H4: 3/10 (Sprint and loadouts. Nuff said but it did have some smooth hit detection)

H5: 8/10 (Having fun with this game as of now. Once forge is added the game will be great with friends)

H2A 6/10 (Fun but got boring really fast.)  

Halo 1 - 10:  From the amazing LAN parties I've had over the years, to the deep, skillful and intense 2v2, this game is just the most fun.  BTB kinda sucks and the 4v4 could do with a better spawn system, but the weapon sandbox and the depth of the gameplay makes this best Halo experience I've ever had. And the fact that you had to play it in person made the game and the memories associated with it really special.  Theres a reason why my friends and I LAN this every time I go home on leave.  It's just an awesome time, every time.

Halo 2 - 8:  I spent 3 years devouring this game.  It's a hell of a game.  We all know how good it is, so I won't explain why it's so high.  I'll just explain why it loses points. It loses points for me  for two reasons: One, the weapon respawn system.  It's fucking horrible.  If you don't think it's horrible, play a game on Coagulation against a good team and see how much fun you have. It was BAD. And two, because it's online experience was pretty rough.  Blue reticle BR shots rarely registered, and cheaters were everywhere once you got into the 30's.  Bungie also had some atrocious settings in their matchmaking, although sadly they were the best MM settings we'd see in a Bungie game.  All that said, H2 was a magical game, and we still LAN it alongside Halo 1 to this day.  It's 4v4 is freaking awesome, and it might has some of the best BTB gametypes in the series (Headlong 1 Flag, anyone?).

Halo 3 - 7:  Very similar to Halo 2, gameplay-wise.  It gains points for it's forge, theater, and awesome custom games.  It loses points for the BR, the aiming, the hit registration, the equipment, the flag return time in default settings, the watered down melee system, the amount of nearly useless weapons, and Epitaph.  Fuck Epitaph.

Halo Reach (vanilla) - 2:  This was, to this day, the only version of Halo bad enough to make me quit playing Halo.  I played Bad Company 2 for almost all of 2011 because I hated vanilla Reach so much.  Ohhh, where to start.  One ranked playlist, based off of individual K/D, where you played against your teammates just as much as your opponents.  Herpaderp melees because no stopping power on sprint AND no bleed through on melees.  Bloom. Armor Lock.  Camo Sniping.  Sword Base. Drop Shields in Oddball.  Defusing bomb arms with Armor Lock. The Cage.  The only thing to play for outside of awful stupid Arena was credits, and you could clean out your armory well before getting even halfway to Inheritor. 1 Person Theater.  Grey Forge. Camping outside after getting one kill on Zealot before they put in the soft-kill barrier.  There was just almost no joy to be had in Vanilla Reach.

Halo Reach (post patch) - 7:  85% was waaaay more tolerable.  Removing Armor lock from the good playlists helped immensely.  Most of the maps received improvements.  And the big one, MLG v6 and v7.  v6 and v7 is some of the best, most intense Halo I've ever played.  I would argue that it's the best 4v4 Halo to date.  Also, it was around this time that I discovered Halo Tracker, and their 1-50 rankings per playlist, which gave me a reason to emotionally invest.  I got my 50 in Rumble Pit, Team Slayer and Multiteam, and had a blast doing it.  Granted, I didn't play tougher opponents as I ranked up, but the winning percentage gets a lot more strict as you approach that 50, and it made my games have some meaning where there was once none.  The patch brought me back to Halo, and I played Reach all the way up until 4 came out.

Halo 4 (pre patch) - 3:  It was pretty God damn bad.  Between the ordinances, the lack of ranks/reason to play, the lack of weapons on the map, sprint, no descope, and the myriad of other problems, this game turned people away pretty fast.  I played it from launch until I shipped off to Basic at the end of March.  I was still having fun with it, but I could see how people were losing interest.  The only reason I rate it higher than vanilla Reach was because to me the game just felt better.  The moving, crouching, shooting, meleeing, etc.  Reach always felt really clunky, and 4 felt very smooth.

Halo 4 (post patch) - 6:  While it still suffered from a lack of things to do, I thoroughly enjoyed playing for CSR 50's in Rumble Pit, CTF, Team Slayer, and o on.  I also had a lot of fun maxing my commendations for as many weapons as I could.  The boltshot nerf and the BR buff helped a ton, and the various gametypes that limited loadouts did wonders to make the game more playable.  Getting rid of power weapon drops in Dominion made that gametype enjoyable for me too.  My fondest memories of Halo 4 come from playing Rumble Pro.  I really enjoyed Halo 4's FFA.

H2A - 4:  The gameplay itself was ok.  Yeah, the shooting was too easy and the grenades were dumb, but Halo has seen a lot worse gameplay than this.  I rate it so low because so much of my MCC experience with this game is tainted by 4v3's, dropping from matches, endless searches, etc.  FFA settings being mostly SMG starts severely hurt my experience with this game as well.  HCS settings were pretty fun, but they kept Halo 2's garbage weapon respawn system, even after workaround for a static system had been discovered.  My rating might not be fair, because honestly H2A's gameplay is better than a 4, but my experience with the game was not.

H5 - 7:  This game hits on it's skill gap, and my respect for the game and desire to improve are strong.  I like the maps, I like the weapons, and I like the gameplay in general.  H5 loses points on some weapon balance flaws, tiny FFA radar (it honestly bothers me so fucking much), and a lack of content.  I know the content issue will be addressed, but I just have to shake my head at this missed opportunity by 343.  You have to bring it at launch.  If your launch is underwhelming, you will lose people and you won't get them back.  It's already starting, and its disheartening because this game is really close to being excellent.

• Upvote (+1) 7