Sign in to follow this  
VinnyMendoza

Halo 5 Sales/NPD Results Discussion and the Future of Halo

I thought Phil was the guy who was supposed to "save Xbox"? I didn't he had anything to do with the MCC. Didn't he take over shortly before the game came out? From what I heard/read, he was not happy with how disastrous MCC turned out to be any personally went to 343 Headquarters to make sure they were working on fixing the game. If there is a re-analysis of Halo after the holiday season, I wonder if Microsoft will view the situation as "Halo is no longer popular" or "the developer is incompetent"? As Halo continues to plummet under 343, I see one of two things happening; a new developer or ending the Halo series.

Very true.

Given the amount of censorship that occurs on most all Halo forums, it would be impossible for anyone tasked with guaging the community's sentiments to construct a wholly truthful picture.

There was an interesting article on ESPN yesterday about how UM Canes fans forced Al Golden out with aerial banners. Apparently, it costs under $1000 to fly a banner with a message 15,000 ft. above the ground. http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/14328380/the-miami-hurricanes-fans-flew-banners-got-al-golden-fired

Anything you want to say in Bellevue or Redmond WA? Be prepared to shell out several hundred dollars...

Very true.

Given the amount of censorship that occurs on most all Halo forums, it would be impossible for anyone tasked with guaging the community's sentiments to construct a wholly truthful picture.

There was an interesting article on ESPN yesterday about how UM Canes fans forced Al Golden out with aerial banners. Apparently, it costs under $1000 to fly a banner with a message 15,000 ft. above the ground. http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/14328380/the-miami-hurricanes-fans-flew-banners-got-al-golden-fired

Anything you want to say in Bellevue or Redmond WA? Be prepared to shell out several hundred dollars...

We need the equivalent of that sent to Microsoft corporate. Community sentiments on forums won't matter. What matters is Halo's popularity has been in free-fall since 343 has taken over. 343's lack of technical quality and the drastic changes they've made to the Halo formula are ample evidence as to why that's happened.

We need the equivalent of that sent to Microsoft corporate. Community sentiments on forums won't matter. What matters is Halo's popularity has been in free-fall since 343 has taken over. 343's lack of technical quality and the drastic changes they've made to the Halo formula are ample evidence as to why that's happened.

You know I would actually give a [email protected], but we are talking about 343 here.

So I don't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's the whole point. 343 has proven incompetent and should be dissolved.

that was my point (I don't care about 343 succeeding any more, they wore out that empathy back with MCC).

but seriously i just dont care about halo anymore. i have come to accept it is over, a past experience never to be equaled again by any box with Halo written on it. I sit back and think of the good days, then move on with my own hobbies. Hope to have something to show for it next spring.

That's the whole point. 343 has proven incompetent and should be dissolved.

That's just silly. When the fan base is upset with a football team - even if they're making money - does the team fold? Of course not.

One change is most frequently made in hopes of reinvigorating the program. Once a new head coach is brought in, assistant coaches who are determined to be ineffective are replaced with People who more align with the new leader's values. The entire philosophy and mindset of the new leader works its way through the entire program.

The same argument could be made about the executive branch of the United States goverment. Once a new President is brought in, it's not as though other branches or agencies dissolve, but the focus changes and ideas are viewed through a different lens.

343 doesn't need to be shuttered. But it is & has been in desperate need for new leadership.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Every day there is a hugely popular tournament for Smash Bros Melee, I get so envious that the same thing just doesn't happen for Halo 1 or even 2 and probably never will because of how fractured this community is. That would save the goddamn franchise and get me heavily involved again. We need someone to put together a documentary as good as that one by the Smash Bros guys. Halo arguably has stronger personalities than Melee does.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll be honest, I gave up on Halo after Halo 3 competitively..but I played a few games of Reach, and then tried H4 at midnight release, and then realized that 343 is always going to be making games for the newer players, and didn't really care much about the older players where the fan base was at.. I have never played Halo 5, and I don't even own a Xbox One. I have a playstation 4, but honestly I wish there was a good Halo game out where I could actually play competitively again...then I would definitely come back to Xbox/Halo.

6 months later. Wow time flies. vgchartz has 3.9 million. MCC is 3.1 million. Honestly MCC might have surpassed Halo 5 if it wasn't a buggy POS... I think that's pretty telling.

• Upvote (+1) 2

6 months later. Wow time flies. vgchartz has 3.9 million. MCC is 3.1 million. Honestly MCC might have surpassed Halo 5 if it wasn't a buggy POS... I think that's pretty telling.

Remember that there are MANY people that have left 343 now. 

* Brad Welch, Senior designer director of Halo 5's campaign and and sandbox leaves 343 Industries (2016). 

* Kevin Franklin Multiplayer Design Director left late 2015 or early 2016.

* Brian Lemon Lead Multiplayer Producer left late 2015 or early 2016. 

* Doug Barnes led the engineering efforts at 4vs4 Esports multiplayer modes of Halo 5 Guardians. Left late 2015 or early 2016. 

Probably more. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Remember that there are MANY people that have left 343 now. 

* Brad Welch, Senior designer director of Halo 5's campaign and and sandbox leaves 343 Industries (2016). 

* Kevin Franklin Multiplayer Design Director left late 2015 or early 2016.

* Brian Lemon Lead Multiplayer Producer left late 2015 or early 2016. 

* Doug Barnes led the engineering efforts at 4vs4 Esports multiplayer modes of Halo 5 Guardians. Left late 2015 or early 2016. 

Probably more. 

Mind giving me a bit of context, what does that mean then, like the effect it would have on future games? Were those guys to blame for any shortcomings?

I think it's more they're abandoning a sinking ship where their ideas aren't working.

I think them leaving is a positive. Now we need Brian Reed out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not going to matter that people are leaving unless they're replaced with guys who a) understand Halo and b) have the guts to remove gameplay 'features'

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly. Go play H3 on 360 after playing H5. The game feels clunky and unresponsive. It's ALWAYS been that way. I personally don't want halo to go back to feeling that way, let alone that awful style of weapons for online/even on LAN play. H1 was sick. It felt good. H2 the aiming felt amazing. H3 lol. HR lol. H4 lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Moa, there is only one reason 343 refuses to release official population counters.

Because they know we would be blinded by the beauty of the gloriously high numbers. Duh

• Upvote (+1) 3

Honestly. Go play H3 on 360 after playing H5. The game feels clunky and unresponsive. It's ALWAYS been that way. I personally don't want halo to go back to feeling that way, let alone that awful style of weapons for online/even on LAN play. H1 was sick. It felt good. H2 the aiming felt amazing. H3 lol. HR lol. H4 lol.

It's interesting how different people's perspectives can be, as the clunkiness of H5's aiming drove me away (that and the thruster meta got so old and stale to me so fast).

It's not going to matter that people are leaving unless they're replaced with guys who a) understand Halo and b) have the guts to remove gameplay 'features'

They removed leads of halo 4 iirc. I think we are in much much better hands with Josh Holmes leading

I just wish someone that actually experienced and understood Halo during CE through Halo 3 could become the lead MP designer. A lot of the mistakes and things people complain about are issues bungie had already solved. There are many steps backward in random places because they seemingly struggle to even understand that what they're doing sometimes is a problem and its already been fixed before by the guys that came before them. They need to take the experience we had, the whole experience, and expand from there without forgetting things. They just neglect features and repeat mistakes that were already solved more often than they actually do something dumb. Basically they can't handle the sheer size of what bungie developed and its many facets all at once. That could be the management issues people are starting to talk about though. Hopefully we get competent developers that can pick up where bungie left off and move forward instead of struggling to provide the bare minimum in a lot of scenarios this time. I kind of doubt it though they're 0 for 2 with this problem. They always forget a lot of somethings

Its pretty understandable though. The developer their company was built to emulate was one of the most technically talented in the business. Its not really a surprise when they don't live up to them

• Upvote (+1) 1