Sign in to follow this  
VinnyMendoza

Halo 5 Sales/NPD Results Discussion and the Future of Halo

I have the feeling Alex Seropian would give his first born to get the halo IP and assets for his studio, and expand for it. With all of Halo's assets from 1-5, that would be a dream. He'd do it right.

I disagree. Just take the assets that work well from the previous titles and change them as little as possible to get them up to par for this gen. Which let's be honest -is not that much better than last gen.

Going back to the Reach UI, features, customization, game modes, engine, etc. would be a huge step in the right direction. Fix the strafe, sandbox and up the frame rate, add spectator mode and ranks and you would have a great product in no time.

Wouldn't even mind a long delay. I've never been a fan of a main title every 2 or 3 years.

Wouldn't even mind a long delay. I've never been a fan of a main title every 2 or 3 years.

Word.

But if money is the only motivating factor for MS they could still release a Halo game every two years. Just leave the multiplayer the same for 4 years or so. Go the ODST or CEA route and just give us a map pack with the new campaign only game. If the base multiplayer is good, NEW maps, NEW game modes, armors, etc, is enough to keep people playing for a long time. As long as it's truly new stuff that was developed with the new game, not rehashed garbage or core features that were left out on purpose.

Almost like some kind of... sustain plan.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ha. I'll probably mention this in my review that will be out in the next 6 months.

I'm running out of things to talk about in the game. Which under my impression I'm almost done. But playing the game is as equivalent to dragging my ass out of bed on a work day.

After the World Championship, I doubt anyone will give 2 fucks about this game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Has anyone here considered contacting Phil Spencer about Halo's demise and where we go from here? Would he even consider possible solutions to fix Halo from someone in the community? Just imagine if Microsoft dissolved 343 and started over. They could individually hire as many people as possible that were developers for the original trilogy and task them to develop a quality Halo game using the old formula. The game would be huge. It may sound like a stretch to make happen, but Microsoft has endless amounts of money to offer these people and an authentic Halo title would still sell many millions. As Halo's popularity goes, so does Xbox's, so it may be an idea that Phil would entertain.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Bravo on Reddit:

Hey all, wanted to jump in and clear up any confusion with the sampled playlist numbers. As many of you know, HaloTracker's numbers are sampled, meaning they don't account for anywhere near the total number of players in Halo 5 or specific playlists. I am happy to say that not only are the playlist numbers much higher, but that we've actually seen increases from the last few weeks, not a massive dropoff like some have extracted from the HaloTracker data. That would indeed be a problem, and I'm pleased to say we're actually looking at quite the opposite.

These false player count estimates have a tendency to grow into rumors about the state of the game, and while I'm unable to share exact numbers, I'll do my best to add some clarity wherever I'm able. If I miss a post or a thread that needs some clarity, please feel free to tweet or tag me and I'll do my best to jump in with some clarity (in cases where it does compromise my employment).

<3

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3w2j8h/is_halo_still_pretty_active_or_is_it_slowing_down/cxt8xew

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, he fails to bring up the Xbox Live Top 10. He won't dare say that's wrong. I'm not saying Bravo is lying, but when HTR puts up the data as evidence and Bravo says "lol just trust us", it's hard to take his side.

What about XBL Top 10? I check every once and awhile, and I've been finding H5 consistently sitting around the 5-7 mark.

Has anyone here considered contacting Phil Spencer about Halo's demise and where we go from here? Would he even consider possible solutions to fix Halo from someone in the community? Just imagine if Microsoft dissolved 343 and started over. They could individually hire as many people as possible that were developers for the original trilogy and task them to develop a quality Halo game using the old formula. The game would be huge. It may sound like a stretch to make happen, but Microsoft has endless amounts of money to offer these people and an authentic Halo title would still sell many millions. As Halo's popularity goes, so does Xbox's, so it may be an idea that Phil would entertain.

Rest assured, there will be a complete re-analysis after the holiday season.

Phil was partially responsible for MCC, signing off on an incomplete game as he felt a need to keep the race with Sony close. It seems he chose not to take action for that atrocity, even though it was likely represented to him that the game could be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Almost seems like a power play to discredit him internally at MS. If Phil looks bad, then MS would look for a new Person to lead up Xbox. Office politics.

Anyhow, Phil has stated a new paradigm, one unconstrained by the need to win the console race. As such, Halo 5 was not pushed prematurely in a feeble attempt to sell a few consoles during the holidays. Having all the ample time needed to put together a worthy game, for all its accolades in the gaming journals (same ones that gave Halo MCC 9s & 9.5s), and with the 8-9 figure heavyweight advertising budget; the game has not seen uptick by fans, former fans, and newcomers alike.

As they do several times per year, Satya, Terry Myerson (Phil's boss), & Phil will have a meeting to discuss performance of internal studios. There will be one in January or February that has a huge emphasis on the performance of the Halo franchise, 343 Industries, and MS employees that currently bear responsibility for the direcion of Halo. In under two months, the Supreme edition just dropped 60% from MSRP to $99 on Amazon. I would venture a guess that there may finally be some accounting for the gross mismanagement of this once-great series.

I think there was always going to be a drop off after Halo 3. Halo 3 was a console seller and the 360 reigned supreme for a while. Now the xbox one is definitely third best to PC and Playstation it's only natural Halo isn't at the level it used to be.

343 can't help the xbox one being a disappointment but they could have salvaged the fall and cemented Halo as the best xbox game - they didn't do that though and their output has been pretty abysmal. I'm not surprised H5 is 13th on the most played list. Even playing the game alone you can get a feel for how popular it is - you'll always match the same small pool of players in your division until you start to remember them all. I've only played 200 games and I recognize the same people over and over again. 

I've given up on H5 even quicker than I did on H4 and I won't be playing it again. I know it's only circumstantial evidence but I never see anyone on my friends list playing H5 now and I bet it's the same story for everyone else on this forum. 

I'm disappointed in Brav and all the 343 'pro team' and their sycophantic replies to any form of criticism. I know they work for the company so they can't bash it or anything but they literally turn everything into PR talk, damage control business talk. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's a down right struggle to convince any of my three friends who have an Xbox still to come and play H5 and if they do we all get fed up of playing it after 1 game and give up. It's just a try hard sweaty must call out mess of a game. 

It's so evident when we all go on PS4 and play Star Wars and it's just so much fun, laughing and joking and shooting the shit together while running around blasting rebels and storm troopers and stuff. 

Halo just isn't fun anymore. It would be hard to put H3/Reach (for me anyway)down but now it's hard to bring yourself to load H5 up.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's a down right struggle to convince any of my three friends who have an Xbox still to come and play H5 and if they do we all get fed up of playing it after 1 game and give up. It's just a try hard sweaty must call out mess of a game. 

It's so evident when we all go on PS4 and play Star Wars and it's just so much fun, laughing and joking and shooting the shit together while running around blasting rebels and storm troopers and stuff. 

Halo just isn't fun anymore. It would be hard to put H3/Reach (for me anyway)down but now it's hard to bring yourself to load H5 up.

Excellent point. It's not always about the game. It's frequently about the people.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Excellent point. It's not always about the game. It's frequently about the people.

It's a main factor in why I stopped playing. No social mode didn't help but every game just felt like I had to put all of my effort and concentration in and really try my best to win. That's not why I play games anymore though, it was a few years ago but now I just want to load up a game after work and have a carefree good time. I don't want to grind and improve and call out and everything that goes with that. 

It's a main factor in why I stopped playing. No social mode didn't help but every game just felt like I had to put all of my effort and concentration in and really try my best to win. That's not why I play games anymore though, it was a few years ago but now I just want to load up a game after work and have a carefree good time. I don't want to grind and improve and call out and everything that goes with that. 

I agree about the social aspect but for different reasons. Halo was always about making your own social experience without the game interfering in that. Halo 5 altered that premise, flipping that notion on its head with seemingly forced dialogue throughout both single and multiplayer modes. We're not talking Jeff Steitzer iconic awesome, more like run of the mill Beverly Hillbillies tonality. There is nothing epic or memorable about the vast majority of the voice acting which does intrude on the social experience of the game - whether you enjoy playing by yourself, or chatting with friends throughout your session. That goes for campaign and both multiplayer modes.

Now if Aretha Franklin dropped a "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" voiceover at the conclusion of a tie game, or you got a Beyonce "I can see your Halo" when you reached rank 50, it would be arguably impressive. As it stands, Jeff Steitzer is the only memorable voice attached to Halo multiplayer. There was never a reason to alter that formula.

Phil was partially responsible for MCC, signing off on an incomplete game as he felt a need to keep the race with Sony close. It seems he chose not to take action for that atrocity, even though it was likely represented to him that the game could be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Almost seems like a power play to discredit him internally at MS. If Phil looks bad, then MS would look for a new Person to lead up Xbox. Office politics.

Anyhow, Phil has stated a new paradigm, one unconstrained by the need to win the console race. As such, Halo 5 was not pushed prematurely in a feeble attempt to sell a few consoles during the holidays. Having all the ample time needed to put together a worthy game, for all its accolades in the gaming journals (same ones that gave Halo MCC 9s & 9.5s), and with the 8-9 figure heavyweight advertising budget; the game has not seen uptick by fans, former fans, and newcomers alike.

As they do several times per year, Satya, Terry Myerson (Phil's boss), & Phil will have a meeting to discuss performance of internal studios. There will be one in January or February that has a huge emphasis on the performance of the Halo franchise, 343 Industries, and MS employees that currently bear responsibility for the direcion of Halo. In under two months, the Supreme edition just dropped 60% from MSRP to $99 on Amazon. I would venture a guess that there may finally be some accounting for the gross mismanagement of this once-great series.

I can see how they will be able to analyze the fail of a marketing strategy known today as sustain program, better known as delivering the game in pieces well after people paid full price, and the clear impact it had on the integrity of the studio. They can understand basic marketing fails and demand a return to a previously proven strategy.

But can they see where halo must go to recapture the imaginations and interests of the player bases that they want to sell to?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The marketing made no sense. It was two #huntthetruth ads that turned out to have nothing to do with the games plot and some silly CGI power ranger thing. Who is that appealing to? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can see how they will be able to analyze the fail of a marketing strategy known today as sustain program, better known as delivering the game in pieces well after people paid full price, and the clear impact it had on the integrity of the studio. They can understand basic marketing fails and demand a return to a previously proven strategy.

But can they see where halo must go to recapture the imaginations and interests of the player bases that they want to sell to?

Funny. Light hearted. Gotta love what Halo has become. Its fanbase discusses the metrics of the convoluted problems inherently present within the franchise's personnel and sales figures. Dude nobody talked about this shite back in the day. Back during Halo 2 days, I had an argument with Mr. Frank O'Connnor on the Bungie forums about which was the tougher element, diamond or platinum. People griped about lag, standby, and the inevitable modding vis-a-vis FTP via XBMC. Banhammer became a figurative concept of authority.

To answer your question, I don't know if they'll finally do the uncomfortable and change the personnel behind the direction of the franchise.

But gaming journals are also unhappy. Destructoid has omitted Halo 5 from the list of nominees for best Xbox One game of the year. Burn.

http://www.destructoid.com/nominees-for-destructoid-s-best-xbox-one-game-of-2015-325531.phtml

The marketing made no sense. It was two #huntthetruth ads that turned out to have nothing to do with the games plot and some silly CGI power ranger thing. Who is that appealing to?

It just goes to show you how bad Halo 5's story was when the marketing guys came up with something better.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Word.

But if money is the only motivating factor for MS they could still release a Halo game every two years. Just leave the multiplayer the same for 4 years or so. Go the ODST or CEA route and just give us a map pack with the new campaign only game. If the base multiplayer is good, NEW maps, NEW game modes, armors, etc, is enough to keep people playing for a long time. As long as it's truly new stuff that was developed with the new game, not rehashed garbage or core features that were left out on purpose.

Almost like some kind of... sustain plan.

not to piggy back, but they could create a multiplayer experience for the current gen console (assuming it's good), then push out those side titles or campaigns with new map packs like you said. That's a sustain plan and confidence in your product.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought Phil was the guy who was supposed to "save Xbox"? I didn't think he had anything to do with the MCC. Didn't he take over shortly before the game came out? From what I heard/read, he was not happy with how disastrous MCC turned out to be and personally went to 343 Headquarters to make sure they were working on fixing the game. If there is a re-analysis of Halo after the holiday season, I wonder if Microsoft will view the situation as "Halo is no longer popular" or "the developer is incompetent"? As Halo continues to plummet under 343, I see one of two things happening; a new developer or ending the Halo series.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It just goes to show you how bad Halo 5's story was when the marketing guys came up with something better.

I bought the game expecting a campaign about two Spartans fighting each-other over a secret reason that would be revealed throughout the story and you would be able to chose which path you wanted to go down with multiple endings, it seemed an awesome idea - it was a bit like that but not really. It was some rehashed mass effect story line about AI's destroying all biological life in the universe. ZzZzz... It's been done a million times. Very dissapointing.

Not to mention making Cortana a busty full sized lady to appeal to 13 year old boys and 20+ year old basement dwellers who read extended lore and masturbate to anime girls. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1