Sign in to follow this  
VinnyMendoza

Halo 5 Sales/NPD Results Discussion and the Future of Halo

From a purely marketing perspective, a new developer might be the only way to save this franchise. 343 has done so much damage to Halo's reputation I'm not sure a perfect game could be successful under them. Nobody outside the Halo community is willing to take a chance on Halo anymore, not to mention those inside the community that know better than to waste $60 on a 343 game.

I've been thinking about this as well. After Halo 4, MCC, and now Halo 5, even if Halo 6 was the perfect Halo game, I don't think it will do well with 343's reputation. MS has to do something drastic or watch their most important IP have one slow and annoying death.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I've been thinking about this as well. After Halo 4, MCC, and now Halo 5, even if Halo 6 was the perfect Halo game, I don't think it will do well with 343's reputation. MS has to do something drastic or watch their most important IP have one slow and annoying death.

500 million dollar advertising sound about right.

Hell bring Halo to PC, and put more focus on the PC. 

Do what valve did to make more money, skins, knifes, etc...

Thing is DONT HALF ASS IT.

Everything 343i has been doing is just half-ass attempts of what other games have done to be successful.  

• Upvote (+1) 5

At least if Halo 5 dies faster than The 4 we have a chance of Halo coming to PC where we can mod the game, make our own map packs that aren't crappy Forge maps, increase the FoV and don't have to worry about wonky aiming systems that don't work...

Is it true that this game was 13th place on the XBL top ten in week three and has been under 100k since?

Is it true that this game was 13th place on the XBL top ten in week three and has been under 100k since?

We don't know the numbers because 343 is hiding them but it's placement in the XBL top games is true.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's certainly a combination of a few things.

Firstly the Xbox One just isn't as popular as the 360, so that doesn't help. I'd also add that I would expect digital sales to be way higher than usual as it certainly feels like they are taking off a lot more now.

Mainly though, Halo's reputation has been slowly degrading since Reach and it's not easy to get back.

A lot of people left at Reach. Halo 4 was so abysmal that even massive Halo fans such as myself hardly bothered with it. MCC was a massive opportunity to bring Halo back to life and it was monumentally screwed up.

Over the years, with all this happening, the average guy who isn't necessarily a huge Halo fan, has stopped buying Halo. I'm sure we can all relate to how everyone we knew used to play Halo, and now it's down to hardly anyone we know plays halo.

As for Halo 5 itself, well, it's a marked improvement on Halo 4, but that doesn't really mean much. Ultimately, these monthly updates that are coming out are great, but they are also things that should have been in the game in the first place. It feels like it'll be another year until we have a real "Bungie quality" Halo with a proper UI and all the niggles sorted out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agreed that MCC did a lot more damage than we thought to this franchise. To me it really feels like a Halo 3 anniversary will be their last chance. Halo 3 was far and away the most popular Halo game ever, and nobody will be buying Reach or Halo 4 remakes. People will be excited for this because of how huge it was with 15+ million people in Halo's peak heyday. They need to make it perfect, no bugs, put the A team on it and make sure it gets extensive testing. FF7 remake is getting 2 years of development, Halo 3 needs the same treatment, stop half-assing this shit 343. People will go apeshit if it works perfectly AND has more than FIVE remade maps... just remake them all.

And get the competitive community (not JUST the pro team) involved in making decisions on improving Halo 3. Start out with the same settings MLG used back in the day (faster base speed, map tweaks etc), introduce a FOV slider or just bump it up for everyone, take out spread, don't add any new BS to the maps like environment damage. Improve hit registration without adding crazy amounts of magnetism to do it the lazy way. Just make it a pure Halo 3 anniversary with tweaks for an HCS playlist that take out randomness and make the game a bit faster. Revamp Forge and Theater to be even better than what Halo 5 has to offer. Put in a CUSTOM GAME BROWSER. Matchmaking revolutionized online play, but the truth is it should have COMPLEMENTED server browsing, not replaced it. The competitive community would embrace it and the casual community would go ape. You could make this thing so big that you can put off Halo 6 for another 2 years after Halo 3:A's release.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 has obviously committed to the "hanging on for dear life" development model, so frankly I don't want them working on anything in their entire god damn lives except Halo 6. 

343 has obviously committed to the "hanging on for dear life" development model, so frankly I don't want them working on anything in their entire god damn lives except Halo 6.

I don't want them even working on that considering they can't ever seem to get their shit together. Besides, 343 will always be juggling more then 1 project because they're trying to give Halo the Marve treatment, where yearly releases and tie-ins are rampant and there's no room to focus or polish one single thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Agreed that MCC did a lot more damage than we thought to this franchise. To me it really feels like a Halo 3 anniversary will be their last chance. Halo 3 was far and away the most popular Halo game ever, and nobody will be buying Reach or Halo 4 remakes. People will be excited for this because of how huge it was with 15+ million people in Halo's peak heyday. They need to make it perfect, no bugs, put the A team on it and make sure it gets extensive testing. FF7 remake is getting 2 years of development, Halo 3 needs the same treatment, stop half-assing this shit 343. People will go apeshit if it works perfectly AND has more than FIVE remade maps... just remake them all.

And get the competitive community (not JUST the pro team) involved in making decisions on improving Halo 3. Start out with the same settings MLG used back in the day (faster base speed, map tweaks etc), introduce a FOV slider or just bump it up for everyone, take out spread, don't add any new BS to the maps like environment damage. Improve hit registration without adding crazy amounts of magnetism to do it the lazy way. Just make it a pure Halo 3 anniversary with tweaks for an HCS playlist that take out randomness and make the game a bit faster. Revamp Forge and Theater to be even better than what Halo 5 has to offer. Put in a CUSTOM GAME BROWSER. Matchmaking revolutionized online play, but the truth is it should have COMPLEMENTED server browsing, not replaced it. The competitive community would embrace it and the casual community would go ape. You could make this thing so big that you can put off Halo 6 for another 2 years after Halo 3:A's release.

I agree with you. I don't see Halo 5 lasting more than 2 maybe 3 years. Halo 3 was the biggest game and the most fun game back in the day. If they remake it (which 2017 makes sense to do it) they would be completely stupid to release it like Halo 2: Anniversary. 5 maps, DMR-Like reticle where you can shoot people across the map. 

Halo 3 Anniversary is the only thing that will probably save everyone from moving on. I just hope they make it right and not half ass. 

I agree with you. I don't see Halo 5 lasting more than 2 maybe 3 years. Halo 3 was the biggest game and the most fun game back in the day. If they remake it (which 2017 makes sense to do it) they would be completely stupid to release it like Halo 2: Anniversary. 5 maps, DMR-Like reticle where you can shoot people across the map. 

Halo 3 Anniversary is the only thing that will probably save everyone from moving on. I just hope they make it right and not half ass. 

The only reason there's even interest in H5 now is because MS has a $1.7 Million Iron Lung artificially keeping the competitive scene alive. Once that's gone, I can't honestly even see the community staying alive for a couple more months, let alone years... 

I stopped caring a while ago, so that could just be my impression. All I know is that most of my friends who were halo fans aren't any more, and my friends who weren't halo fans still aren't.

• Upvote (+1) 3

All I know is that most of my friends who were halo fans aren't any more, and my friends who weren't halo fans still aren't.

I went from a core group of me, my three buddies and my wife - playing every night, getting every game at midnight launch to today...

2 PS4 users and two of us duped into buying an Xbox for MCC.

None of us bought Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The only reason there's even interest in H5 now is because MS has a $1.7 Million Iron Lung artificially keeping the competitive scene alive. Once that's gone, I can't honestly even see the community staying alive for a couple more months, let alone years... 

I stopped caring a while ago, so that could just be my impression. All I know is that most of my friends who were halo fans aren't any more, and my friends who weren't halo fans still aren't.

Oh definitely! I dislike the game in so many ways. Being an old school Halo fan if I wanted to watch some good ol Halo 3 on Twitch I would watch it under Halo MCC. Now, that shit is dead because of everyone being on Halo 5. So I'm almost forced to watch H5 if I wanna watch something Halo related.

In all seriousness, I think Microsoft has given them enough chances. 

We don't know the numbers because 343 is hiding them but it's placement in the XBL top games is true.

Cant be good if its 13th. Sad

Firstly the Xbox One just isn't as popular as the 360, so that doesn't help.

Halo used to be a console seller(I traded in my PS2 for Xbox and H2). Halo was the game that separated Xbox from the competition. Since every 343-made Halo game has been garbage, there isn't much incentive to buying the new Xbox over a PS4 or other competitor. As Halo continues to lose popularity, so will Xbox.

In all seriousness, I think Microsoft has given them enough chances.

Another dev team having to start from scratch with H6 would either result in a rushed game or a very long delay.

Another dev team having to start from scratch with H6 would either result in a rushed game or a very long delay.

I would take a very long wait, than another 343 title.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm happy this game failed. Knowing 343, I doubt they'll admit that they fucked up like usual but we can only dream that they start listening to fans, right?

They built a game for casuals again and look where that got them.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well I mean, I don't want them working on it either...but they're gonna get it. 

Crazier things have happened in the gaming industry, but if MS doesn't cut Halo 6 from 343 in a month or two, then it won't happen.

I disagree. Just take the assets that work well from the previous titles and change them as little as possible to get them up to par for this gen. Which let's be honest -is not that much better than last gen.

Going back to the Reach UI, features, customization, game modes, engine, etc. would be a huge step in the right direction. Fix the strafe, sandbox and up the frame rate, add spectator mode and ranks and you would have a great product in no time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Going back to the Reach UI, features, customization, game modes, engine, etc. would be a huge step in the right direction. Fix the strafe, sandbox and up the frame rate, add spectator mode and ranks and you would have a great product in no time.

The Reach engine was specifically designed and optimized for the 360. I can't see Microsoft using resources to make it work on the Xbone when they've already spent all that time and money on the H5 engine.

Likewise, I can't see them handing the franchise off to another developer when there is no guarantee that another dev would do better, assuming one is even available to build an entire Halo game (which is a massive undertaking for any studio).

This is what Halo 4 and then stealing 60 dollars from your fans on your next game will do

Karma is a bitch, ya?

H3 anniversary is probably the last chance to save Halo.... Take out all the bullshit, fix the br, fov, no equipment, faster movespeed and you have a solid competitive game on your hands. Add in awesome social features and it could definitely be a hit.

Why H3? Why not just FIX the MCC product from top to bottom for XB1 and re-release it for free (I add the "for free", because 343 already received full payment for the game).

I never understood why 343 didn't just take the best things from halo 1, halo 2 and halo 3 and put them into  their future games. Like just look at the best things in each game and fix the things that were bad in each game. Boom successful halo 

Remember, they hired people who didn't like Halo. And they validated this claim with their own testing.

They told us that their initial development yielded a classic halo experience, and they chose not to go with it.

Their reason? They didn't like it.

By "happy with numbers" - I believe that refers to how much $$ they made at release.

That can be the only explanation.

The context was strictly pop numbers.

It would take an outside studio in no way joined with M$ at the hip to get the market to believe that the Halo title produced may actually be different than what 343 is publishing. That big curiosity alone would drive sales up again, but I doubt they would go to what was before H4.