Sign in to follow this  
VinnyMendoza

Halo 5 Sales/NPD Results Discussion and the Future of Halo

Really? But @@Sal1ent said they were happy with the numbers they were seeing.

By "happy with numbers" - I believe that refers to how much $$ they made at release.

That can be the only explanation.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If 343 has one problem, its that they have this bizarre and aggressive need to put their own spin on everything.

They really do have like a fetish for needing to change literally everything about the game, no matter how small or insignificant. Nothing can be left untouched, it all must be changed for the sake of it, for the sake of putting their touch on it.

343 will see Halo 5's lack of sales because it isn't closer to CoD, I promise you.

They'll probably see it because they tried (and colossally failed) to "appeal towards the competitive side".

I'm also still waiting for them to come out with a statement to something like "But, but players don't want "classic Halo", we tried giving them that with the MCC and it just wasn't popular. Its clear times change".

or something like that, using MCC as a reason.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You believe Halo does not have a place in todays "military shooters with fast ttk" - yet this is what 343 has decided is the fiture of Halo.   Then when Halo changes to fit more tightly into the mold of "military shooter" it continues to fail, players leave, and there is no sustainment for the title.

So how does your theory even stand?  If anything Halo, the way Halo "SHOULD" be is exactly whats needed, and the exact opposite of Halo turning into a military shooter under the vision and direction of 343.

That is why I would - your opinion (even though I didnt)

Halo 5 is not a military shooter with fast ttk. It still has Halo kill times. The introduction of sprint and a few abilities doesn't make Halo close to COD or Battlefield at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think there's a place for Halo or a game like Halo in the console FPS market anymore. The scene has shifted toward military shooters with quick gratification kills. Halo probably comes off as weird to any new player with how long it takes to get a kill.

Could those who neg-repped me explain why? I mean I don't give a shit about the rep, just wondering where the disagreement is.

I think the bolded statement is probably the most under credited reason new people will give up on halo. However i disagree with the 'weird' label, i think 'frustrating' is alot more accurate. I remember some years ago i was playing halo 3 with a group of people that were heavily playing COD at the time. One of them made a statement that accurately depicts the feeling alot of new players walk away from halo with. He said:

"I shoot, and i shoot, and nobody dies!"

At the time i shrugged it off but its funny how years later, after exclusively playing halo 1 for several years, how that statement, even though very simplified, is exactly how i feel when playing halo 2 and 3. The increase in killtimes that halo's sequels introduced is in my opinion the biggest factor that scares new players away.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Who is "v Four Horsemen", 'cause tell them to suck a dick I was with a random and it was Hang'em. 

I don't even know, ya know? Also, are you back from eating yet?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5 is not a military shooter with fast ttk. It still has Halo kill times. The introduction of sprint and a few abilities doesn't make Halo close to COD or Battlefield at all.

I didnt say it was - I simply stated that the "military shooter" direction is where 343 has taken Halo, as in that has slowly been the transition that we are seeing.  If you believe that H5 is closer to the original recipe that is "Halo" rather than the current FPS paradigm, then I am not sure what game you have been playing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

def not an official site dude

Seriously? Fuuuuuck I thought all those sites like bf4stats were official god damnit

I don't even know, ya know? Also, are you back from eating yet?

From eating a dick, yes. 

Every time I go in the 2s playlist, I get a 117 partner. :(

From eating a dick, yes. 

Every time I go in the 2s playlist, I get a 117 partner. :(

Thats what you ate? Me and @@Sitri were informed it would only be half an hour, has it really taken you this many months to eat that?

Thats what you ate? Me and @@Sitri were informed it would only be half an hour, has it really taken you this many months to eat that?

I don't think I remember playing with you and Sitri, but then I almost never know who I'm playing with if their GT doesn't match up with their forum name.

Do any H1 guys even play MCC anymore?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seriously? Fuuuuuck I thought all those sites like bf4stats were official god damnit

It still uses the official API so it should be accurateish.

I don't think I remember playing with you and Sitri, but then I almost never know who I'm playing with if their GT doesn't match up with their forum name.

Do any H1 guys even play MCC anymore?

It was that unmemorable eh?

I think the MCC halo 1 population has shrunk a bit, some people are trying out halo 5 (confusing) but i think that more people will come back in a month or so. Besides that, i bet alot of the people who attend LANs will eventually learn to tolerate the game. I thought i would never play it again after BL4 but once you get that itch to play and noone will lan, you just gotta tolerate the stupid stuff. Ive probably played more in the last 3 weeks than the last 4 months combined.

It was that unmemorable eh?

I think the MCC halo 1 population has shrunk a bit, some people are trying out halo 5 (confusing) but i think that more people will come back in a month or so. Besides that, i bet alot of the people who attend LANs will eventually learn to tolerate the game. I thought i would never play it again after BL4 but once you get that itch to play and noone will lan, you just gotta tolerate the stupid stuff. Ive probably played more in the last 3 weeks than the last 4 months combined.

Well, if you want to run some more totally forgettable matches :P send me an inv sometime

VGChartz isn't 100% accurate but it matches up with NPD leaks perfectly in this case. And truly nobody knows how well a game sold except the developer themselves. VGChartz and NPD are the only sources that even attempt to quantify sales.

I certainly don't trust Microsoft "Halo 5 is the biggest launch in the series' history!" PR, which undoubtedly included MCC Xbone bundles which were widespread across the world, which is really dishonest. If it's the only bundle available then of course that's what people will buy...

My take on the "H5 is the biggest launch" saying is that they aren't very specific in how it was the biggest launch. Was it most games sold? Was it most money made? Was it biggest boost to MS sales, most limited editions sold, etc... There is always a way that one facet of each halo launch is going to be better than the last. the only thing that should matter is number of games sold. Not dollars made, not consoles pushed, or anything like that. The only thing that can really measure a launches success imo is the number of units sold out of the stores and into homes.

So if that number is the largest in Halo history, then I'll skeptically believe it.

This December update really frustrates me as a fan.
We aren't getting anything new at all in it. 

• Recycled Warzone bases with a city skybox
  • Recycled Plaza with slightly different skin
  • A forge map remake of Burial Mounds (Could be made by anyone... and was.)
  • Classic armor and weapons that already existed in previous titles
  • A Forge mode that should of been at launch
  • REQ packs that are most likely reskinned UNSC vehicles as if we need any more of those.

They are simply dishing out content that was removed from launch to fool players into thinking they are getting "more" for "free" 

and that it is all thanks to the REQ system. That is not at all the case. The January update will include a reskinned Fathom, Feb. with a reskinned Coliseum, and so on.

By the time the "free content" period is over, Halo 5 will only have as much content as any other Halo games launch. If that.

It is no wonder the numbers are so low. Heading into 2016 and we still have no mention of game types other than Slayer, CTF, or Strongholds.

If you can actually look at the content we're getting and defend 343i then please take your business to the Waypoint forums.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

My take on the "H5 is the biggest launch" saying is that they aren't very specific in how it was the biggest launch. Was it most games sold? Was it most money made? Was it biggest boost to MS sales, most limited editions sold, etc... There is always a way that one facet of each halo launch is going to be better than the last. the only thing that should matter is number of games sold. Not dollars made, not consoles pushed, or anything like that. The only thing that can really measure a launches success imo is the number of units sold out of the stores and into homes.

So if that number is the largest in Halo history, then I'll skeptically believe it.

They said it was worldwide total Halo 5-related revenue, software and hardware. I could have sworn one source said just "Halo" related products, not just Halo 5.... but maybe I'm wrong about the MCC bundles being included.

Anyway, some collectors editions are over $250 so that boosts revenue a lot. And I know lots of controllers and Xbox bundles with Halo 5 were sold.

So yeah, very skeptical.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If this game ever starts doing better by any margin again, I think I'd be more depressed than happy.

If this game ever starts doing better by any margin again, I think I'd be more depressed than happy.

Don't worry, it won't. Unless 343 has some huge feature up their sleeves, the population is only going to get worst. The only realistic thing I can think of that will bring Halo 5 back is a custom game browser.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This game is done. There are many, many issues with the game, most of which are deep seeded. This game is just as unfixable as the 4 was.

From a purely marketing perspective, a new developer might be the only way to save this franchise. 343 has done so much damage to Halo's reputation I'm not sure a perfect game could be successful under them. Nobody outside the Halo community is willing to take a chance on Halo anymore, not to mention those inside the community that know better than to waste $60 on a 343 game.

• Upvote (+1) 8

From a purely marketing perspective, a new developer might be the only way to save this franchise. 343 has done so much damage to Halo's reputation I'm not sure a perfect game could be successful under them. Nobody outside the Halo community is willing to take a chance on Halo anymore, not to mention those inside the community that know better than to waste $60 on a 343 game.

It has to happen or this franchise is finished. My solution would be to dissolve 343 and start fresh. I'd individually hire as many developers and employees as possible who worked on the original trilogy and task them to develop a new classic Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It has to happen or this franchise is finished. My solution would be to dissolve 343 and start fresh. I'd individually hire as many developers and employees as possible who worked on the original trilogy and task them to develop a new classic Halo game.

I heard 343 actually rejected volunteer help from Hardy Lebel for MCC, the man who helped craft H:CE and H2

Hahaha I knew Halo 5 would crash. Not gonna hold back my schadenfreude. So glad fans responded and didn't buy 343's game. When nothing (!) else works, you vote with your feet. The market has spoken. It has spoken and said: 343, I don't trust that you can make a good and reliable game.

Everything that has been said in Jawshees post is spot on, it's not ALL about 343 or the game after all, its also the competition out there (COD, DOTA), changes in the gaming industry, the xbone and so on...but one thing I saw missing, which I have said before here is that 343 is lacking the talent of other gaming companies (I would name Blue Byte, Activision, Bungie and perhaps Treyarch in this context). That to me is one of the biggest factors.

We'll see how Halo 6 will turn out. An even more drastic departure from the initial style to lure in new audiences? Or they'll go back to what it used to be: a simple yet deep (competitive) shooter.

• Upvote (+1) 2