Sign in to follow this  
VinnyMendoza

Halo 5 Sales/NPD Results Discussion and the Future of Halo

I didn't miss it, I left it out because it's irrelevant. 343 have proved they can NOT do anniversary games nor porting of games and I don't want them to even entertain the idea of doing it with h3 because they WILL mess it up.

I can agree that they aren't the team that I would have working on it, but at this point, it's really the only option. I'd prefer they take the H5 eSports mentality into creating a classic Halo and go from there rather than just leave it at H2A. That game didn't have eSports in mind in the slightest from whichever team ended up working on it.

They won't do it because there isn't enough time for them to do it. For H3s anniversary date, it would have had to have been in dev last year instead of fixing MCC given they can't complete one game in a 3 year dev cycle.

You left out the biggest caveat of this chart:

Halo 5 : 1 week of tracking (includes bundles but not digital)

Halo 3 : 2 weeks of tracking

others : 3 weeks of tracking

Yeah, Halo 3 was a juggernaut at the peak of the franchise's popularity, but H5 isn't as far behind the other titles as the chart suggests, when you don't leave off this disclaimer about how many weeks it covers for each game

If you read the whole thread you would already see my response on this. Halo 3 sold far more day 1 than halo 5 did in a week.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's so nice to see people care about classic Halo still. Thought I was going crazy a little bit. While Halo 5 is fun, it just isn't the same and I just want to play a classic Halo game that has a lifespan. No remix or their own version of gametypes, no flagnum (idgaf shit is still bad), no sprint. Just a relevant classic style halo game at least one time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Vgchartz numbers are out and corroborate with the npd leaks. 930k sold in the US at retail.

Blops 3 sold 1.45m on the xbone alone in one week for perspective.

Halo 5 at 1.8m worldwide discs after 2 weeks. I would guess under 2.5m including digital. Awful.

Vgchartz numbers are out and corroborate with the npd leaks. 930k sold in the US at retail.

Halo 5 at 1.8m worldwide discs after 2 weeks. I would guess under 2.5m including digital. Awful.

All of the numbers seem to be matching up now. I got 1.8-1.9mil unique users have played matchmaking when I did some math with HaloTracker numbers yesterday.

Considering the campaign only players I think that stacks up with the numbers you're finding.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Never quote VGchartz.

I never understood why 343 didn't just take the best things from halo 1, halo 2 and halo 3 and put them into  their future games. Like just look at the best things in each game and fix the things that were bad in each game. Boom successful halo 

I never understood why 343 didn't just take the best things from halo 1, halo 2 and halo 3 and put them into their future games. Like just look at the best things in each game and fix the things that were bad in each game. Boom successful halo

Ego/pride/too ambitious to add their "own touch" to Halo. The Flagnum is a great example of this

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think there's a place for Halo or a game like Halo in the console FPS market anymore. The scene has shifted toward military shooters with quick gratification kills. Halo probably comes off as weird to any new player with how long it takes to get a kill.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Lol @people saying a CE styled game wouldn't do well today because the fans from 2001 are now grown-ups. Like, how can anyone think that's a logical argument?

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Never quote VGchartz.

VGChartz isn't 100% accurate but it matches up with NPD leaks perfectly in this case. And truly nobody knows how well a game sold except the developer themselves. VGChartz and NPD are the only sources that even attempt to quantify sales.

I certainly don't trust Microsoft "Halo 5 is the biggest launch in the series' history!" PR, which undoubtedly included MCC Xbone bundles which were widespread across the world, which is really dishonest. If it's the only bundle available then of course that's what people will buy...

I certainly don't trust Microsoft "Halo 5 is the biggest launch in the series' history!" PR, which undoubtedly included MCC Xbone bundles which were widespread across the world, which is really dishonest. If it's the only bundle available then of course that's what people will buy...

They actually counted not only bundles but every Xbox product for the entire month of October.

NDP says total of all video game she's for the month was $805 million. That's for hardware, software and accessories. So every WiiU, 3DS, 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, every single game across every platform, every controller, guitar (2 guitar games that month) and every Amibo. ($197M in accessories alone)

So $805M across every facet of videogaming and we're supposed to believe Halo 5 was a FULL HALF of those sales?

BULLSHIT.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think there's a place for Halo or a game like Halo in the console FPS market anymore. The scene has shifted toward military shooters with quick gratification kills. Halo probably comes off as weird to any new player with how long it takes to get a kill.

Could those who neg-repped me explain why? I mean I don't give a shit about the rep, just wondering where the disagreement is.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Could those who neg-repped me explain why? I mean I don't give a shit about the rep, just wondering where the disagreement is.

I didn't neg you, but my take on your stance is that it's not the players, but the developers that have shifted focus onto military shooters. They've made this asinine self-fulfilling prophecy that copying CoD is the only way to go. It's not. If something is good, people will consume it, be it games, movies, food etc. If it was true that the dominant item in the market always equates to non-similar rivals failing, then there'd not be any of the gameplay/trend evolution we've seen throughout the entirety of gaming. Like imagine prior to CoD 4's release when Halo was dominant (2006-7, H2 top of Xbl, H3 hype insurmountable), the dev's were like 'nah hold up,the scene has shifted toward sci-fi shooters with long kill times and this stupid "map control" shit. A CoD with loadouts and ~1 sec kill times probably comes off as weird to any player. Let's just make a H2 clone.'

If the game has good marketing, people will buy it. If the game is fun, people will play it. If the game has features that support replayability, people will keep playing it. There will always be a place for games that aren't the dominant item in the market.

• Upvote (+1) 6

They actually counted not only bundles but every Xbox product for the entire month of October.

NDP says total of all video game she's for the month was $805 million. That's for hardware, software and accessories. So every WiiU, 3DS, 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, every single game across every platform, every controller, guitar (2 guitar games that month) and every Amibo. ($197M in accessories alone)

So $805M across every facet of videogaming and we're supposed to believe Halo 5 was a FULL HALF of those sales?

BULLSHIT.

To be fair they said worldwide 400 million. I would guess worldwide sales around 1.5 billion. More than a quarter of all video game sales worldwide is just as ridiculous though especially since the Xbox is mostly popular in the US and a little in Europe.

I do think they only counted Halo related shit, but stuff like the Halo 5 Limited Edition was $180 and dumbasses bought it up. And lots of controllers on sale too. They didn't do that before IIRC. And as I said MCC bundles were still being sold and were the best you could get at the time before Halo 5 consoles came out, so of course people will buy MCC bundles instead of Xbones without any game bundled.... those should not count. It'd be like saying GoW related merchandise sold hundreds of millions because those GoW bundles are selling like hotcakes this Black Friday weekend. No, those are just the only console bundles AVAILABLE. Dishonest.

UPDATE: Vgchartz numbers are out and corroborate with the npd leaks. 930k sold in the US at retail.

Hey guys,

I don't think this got nearly enough attention in the general Halo 5 discussion thread. It got a couple pages and that's it. Neogaf is freaking out about how poor it is.

If leaked numbers are to be believed, Halo 5 had perhaps the worst launch in mainline franchise history when put in proper context (Halo: CE launched with a brand new, untested console that was largely derided, and basically CARRIED the Xbox in sales rather than the other way around, selling 1 million copies within 6 months of console launch).

Really? But @@Sal1ent said they were happy with the numbers they were seeing.

If 343 has one problem, its that they have this bizarre and aggressive need to put their own spin on everything. ...

Where have I heard that before?

Oh ya...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really? But Sal1ent said they were happy with the numbers they were seeing.

Is he supposed to say otherwise? Unless they come in at 500k and he gets fired over it, I sincerely doubt he would say things were bad. Unless you are being facetious lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So H5 averages like 30k lol.

Do we know swbstats.com is accurate?

So H5 averages like 30k lol.

Do we know swbstats.com is accurate?

Considering its an official site by EA, I'd believe it.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Considering its an official site by EA, I'd believe it.

def not an official site dude

• Upvote (+1) 1

You believe Halo does not have a place in todays "military shooters with fast ttk" - yet this is what 343 has decided is the fiture of Halo.   Then when Halo changes to fit more tightly into the mold of "military shooter" it continues to fail, players leave, and there is no sustainment for the title.

So how does your theory even stand?  If anything Halo, the way Halo "SHOULD" be is exactly whats needed, and the exact opposite of Halo turning into a military shooter under the vision and direction of 343.

That is why I would - your opinion (even though I didnt)

• Upvote (+1) 1