Sign in to follow this  
VinnyMendoza

Halo 5 Sales/NPD Results Discussion and the Future of Halo

H3 anniversary is probably the last chance to save Halo.... Take out all the bullshit, fix the br, fov, no equipment, faster movespeed and you have a solid competitive game on your hands. Add in awesome social features and it could definitely be a hit.

I'd rather they leave it alone after seeing the difference between h2 and h2a.

I'd rather they leave it alone after seeing the difference between h2 and h2a.

Unfortunately most people agree base Halo 3 is not competitive enough. It will not be good enough to revive the competitive scene.

The best chance is to make small tweaks that the entire community agrees on. If 343i can pull their heads out of their asses this can happen. There are things we are unanimous on. A BR with little magnetism and no spread and faster killtime. Higher FOV. Higher base speed. No equipment. No sprint. Absolutely none of those things is controversial.

Halo is just doomed with 343 at the helm. The only chance of playing a good Halo game ever again is if someone rips off h1/h2 for pc. Honestly how has that not been done yet?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Halo is just doomed with Microsoft at the helm.

Fixed.

Remember, Halo 1 was well under way before Microsoft bought Bungie, and at the time Microsoft was experimenting with the console market and was open to ideas. One hit later, and classic Corporate Microsoft (along with delusions of grandeur from Bungie) took over.

If they'd just do FAITHFUL ports of Halo 1 or Perfect Dark with FULL-FEATURED (read: custom game browsers) online added, we'd be in FPS heaven. But nope, gotta keep getting that quick buck by having us chase the dragon...

:angry:

• Downvote (-1) 2

@@phil

Hey look, Life is Strange is there! Hi Life is Strange! How's life? Strange?

On a serious note I'd enjoy at least three of those games in that list regardless of Twitch views. I don't do live streaming.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@phil

The Twitch numbers are definitely not trending in a positive direction. Halo 5 is also not trending well on the most played games list, as it was the 5th most played  game just before midnight last night, and was the 7th most played game today as off 11 AM EST.

Unfortunately most people agree base Halo 3 is not competitive enough. It will not be good enough to revive the competitive scene.

The best chance is to make small tweaks that the entire community agrees on. If 343i can pull their heads out of their asses this can happen. There are things we are unanimous on. A BR with little magnetism and no spread and faster killtime. Higher FOV. Higher base speed. No equipment. No sprint. Absolutely none of those things is controversial.

They will make the br stupidly easy like h2a. Sprint shouldn't have even been mentioned lol.

They will make the br stupidly easy like h2a. Sprint shouldn't have even been mentioned lol.

I agree. The grenades are going to get a bigger explosion radius, all the weapons will recieve more auto-aim + magnetism, the jumps will be made easier, weirds sounds all over, and I could just go on ..

343 is putting millions of dollars for tournaments simply as an advertisement. By seeing 1.5 million prize pool it makes the game appear big to a casual scrolling down twitter or when it gets tweeted the day of the tournament. They want to make Halo look popular, because it's not.

xLziB.jpg

at 2am on a tuesday..

People say stream numbers don't mean anything because they know a game that gets 12 viewers average but turns up with 900 teams tourney day. But really, when in the seven bloody fucks has Halo ever done that. When are people going to realize that Halo's streams numbers are laser accurate with its popularity.

People say stream numbers don't mean anything because they know a game that gets 12 viewers average but turns up with 900 teams tourney day. But really, when in the seven bloody fucks has Halo ever done that. When are people going to realize that Halo's streams numbers are laser accurate with its popularity.

When has any game done that, even.

Classic halo should be focused on from here on out, they've tried there thing with halo 4 and 5, and let's be honest, it isn't quite halo. It's not a game I itch to play when I get in from work. I hope they realise this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think in the shooter genre, we still have that chase for the cod pie... when will it ever end... i dunno. if sales dictate game design, maybe this will be a slap in the face to msft to stop trying to make halo appeal to cod.

sw bf is classic fps, while it has sprint... it doesnt have artificial aim down the sights, and it is at its core a basic fps game. it is selling like fire.

People who think that a Halo CE.5 would make the franchise go back to the glory times, are deluding themselves. Most of the fanbase has already moved on, got married, had children, family and other priorities, and  probably has already abandoned video games. Of the 10+ friends I used to play Halo CE and Halo 2, I am the only one who still plays and cares about Halo and games in general. The market has changed. The kids of today want the shooters with lower skill gap and TTK, where they can drop in, sprint, shoot, kill several opponents and feel like badass. This is the current market and the trend is to be more and more.

A Halo CE.5 would be a great game no doubt, but it would be more niche than Halo 5. It would have an active hardcore community of a few thousand players playing regularly, but nothing compared to the old days. In fact, I think there is nothing 343 can do to change that. The franchise is 15 years old, the the audience has changed, the market has changed, there is a natural wear of the franchise and the MCC's debacle only made thinks worse. I think the people in this forum do not realize that what they want does not represent the will of the current market. We belong to a competitive niche, which is dwindling on consoles.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

People who think that a Halo CE.5 would make the franchise go back to the glory times, are deluding themselves. Most of the fanbase has already moved on, got married, had children, family and other priorities, and probably has already abandoned video games. Of the 10+ friends I used to play Halo CE and Halo 2, I am the only one who still plays and cares about Halo and games in general. The market has changed. The kids of today want the shooters with lower skill gap and TTK, where they can drop in, sprint, shoot, kill several opponents and feel like badass. This is the current market and the trend is to be more and more.

A Halo CE.5 would be a great game no doubt, but it would be more niche than Halo 5. It would have an active hardcore community of a few thousand players playing regularly, but nothing compared to the old days. In fact, I think there is nothing 343 can do to change that. The franchise is 15 years old, the the audience has changed, the market has changed, there is a natural wear of the franchise and the MCC's debacle only made thinks worse. I think the people in this forum do not realize that what they want does not represent the will of the current market. We belong to a competitive niche, which is dwindling on consoles.

Firstly, I hope you're not talking about initial sales when referring to 'glory times' because that's determined 75% by advertising (mostly campaign-focused) and 25% by new content (which is basically another form of advertising a la Warzone). If 343 market the game to casuals while making CE 2.0, there's no reason for a sales dropoff.

Secondly, assuming you're probably talking popularity & game longevity, while a fun base game is important, extra content is as significant a determinant of popularity. I'm talking Forge, Theater, Firefight etc. As for it being 'fun' in the players' eyes, as long as it is balanced, offers variety, fosters a social environment & doesn't frustrate the player, it's all the game needs. And again; the CoD market though overlapping isn't the Halo market, let alone the FPS market. If the game is good, it'll find its own audience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

CTrF2dWWEAEpGVC.jpg

These numbers are USA ONLY, and digital is excluded. Typical digital sales add another 25% on top of these numbers but we'll have to see how that bears out. Even if digital is 50%, that puts Halo 5 at 2 million copies max.

You left out the biggest caveat of this chart:

Halo 5 : 1 week of tracking (includes bundles but not digital)

Halo 3 : 2 weeks of tracking

others : 3 weeks of tracking

Yeah, Halo 3 was a juggernaut at the peak of the franchise's popularity, but H5 isn't as far behind the other titles as the chart suggests, when you don't leave off this disclaimer about how many weeks it covers for each game

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Literally all they have to do is take the exact same game, assets, code, and mimic it and change some values. Just re-release it with a few improvements. (this is a gross oversimplification of what really needs done, but you get the point) Like Moa said, the game still looks great, but if they were going to release it, since they've completely screwed up two games in a row, we don't need fancy graphics, we just want the issues that have been their since the games incarnation to be fixed. FOV, BR shitness, and things that are well known. Things that the casual player wouldn't even notice because they don't care.

They can literally spend most of the time "improving" Forge and actually putting in a working Spectator mode. They can put in new features, but leave the core game alone. We don't need new weapons or equipment. We don't need new grenade radii, larger hitboxes or any other ideas that 343 come up with to "improve" the game.

There is absolutely no need to re-release Halo 3. Zero. It won't outsell Halo 5, it won't bring back the competitive blah blah. Its a waste of time and resources. And 343 wouldn't even work on it. Probably get handed off to Certain Affinity and 343 would continue on Halo 6.

The only person who should want Halo 3 anniversary is MSFT execs because it would make some profit. If y'all want a cash grab so be it. Just get MCC used and enjoy that trash heap.

Literally all they have to do is take the exact same game, assets, code, and mimic it and change some values.

Halo_Collection.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 8

Halo_Collection.jpg

You missed  a bit "(this is a gross oversimplification of what really needs done, but you get the point)" Plus it was ports of ports. I'm not talking about porting.

343 wanted to make their own game and blaze their own trail. The safest buisiness decision was to purchase the rights to halo. Having halo on the box will automatically make you millions of dollars which then gives you the revenue to play developer. If I was frankie I wouldn't of wanted to ride on the coat tail of bungie my entire career but he's just not a very good developer. 343 makes above average shooters and below average halo's.

You missed  a bit "(this is a gross oversimplification of what really needs done, but you get the point)" Plus it was ports of ports. I'm not talking about porting.

I didn't miss it, I left it out because it's irrelevant. 343 have proved they can NOT do anniversary games nor porting of games and I don't want them to even entertain the idea of doing it with h3 because they WILL mess it up.

I think in the shooter genre, we still have that chase for the cod pie... when will it ever end... i dunno. if sales dictate game design, maybe this will be a slap in the face to msft to stop trying to make halo appeal to cod.

sw bf is classic fps, while it has sprint... it doesnt have artificial aim down the sights, and it is at its core a basic fps game. it is selling like fire.

343 will see Halo 5's lack of sales because it isn't closer to CoD, I promise you.

• Upvote (+1) 4