Sign in to follow this  
VinnyMendoza

Halo 5 Sales/NPD Results Discussion and the Future of Halo

halo's core fanbase is old and aging, most are getting real jobs and dont have time for gaming, they got other commitments like work and family. that's life. ppl on forums are dedicated, and probably by extension, have really avid halo friends too. but the majority are just getting older, and many of my friends have just stopped gaming.

cod's fanbase was kids, the huge group that played mw2 and cod4, are now getting into their late teens and 20s, they still have 5-15 years to game. Halo's fanbase is old as shit, mostly late 20s and 30s. people play what they're used to, and what their friends play. Cod comes out every year with the generally the same fundamentals, and since there's a huge amount of ppl that buy it, their friends buy it.

one other thing is Halo = xbox, and if xbox one sales are down, halo is down.  halo used to sell xboxes. now basically its the other way, they have to sell more xboxes, to sell halo.  there's still more users of lastgen consoles, and i dont think most have made the switch. they probably will in the coming holidays or next year

What would I like to see? I'd like to see Microsoft take advantage of their strong presence on the PC, offer more combined promotions on playing on xbox and PC, because most console players have a PC. Tapping into the PC market will bring in a lot of ppl that arent console-only players. Because halo is exclusive, no one cares about it on the esports scene.  It's also a problem with console gaming in general, console games have a life cycle of 1 year before they die out, because they dont add new content like PC games. Which is why cod thrives, because it comes out with a new rendition every year.  Halo games will flatline after a year or so, and if no one is playing it, no one is watching it. They can try the route of other console games, like street fighter (with super edition, arcade edition, ultra edition), adding new content regularly to keep players hoping back in

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

halo's core fanbase is old and aging, most are getting real jobs and dont have time for gaming, they got other commitments like work and family. that's life. ppl on forums are dedicated, and probably by extension, have really avid halo friends too. but the majority are just getting older, and many of my friends have just stopped gaming.

Yeah probably. BUT, as you grow older I am convinced that gaming gets more and more important! With children, wife and a demanding +60 hour job I think 1-2 hours of gaming, now and then, keeps me young and happy. Well, MCC did reverse that effect but I still have hopes for H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Aren't these NPD numbers only for the month of October? Halo 5 came out on the 28th. It literally only had 3 days of time on these charts. Couple that with the fact that October is always a poor month for video game sales due to November and Black Friday.

In fact, I saw a post on Reddit the other day and Halo 5 was the best selling game on any console in October DESPITE only having 3 days to chart.

TLDR; Neogaf is a terrible website to get any kind of unbiased information on. Don't overreact to charts with no context.

EDIT: also would like to point out that the Xbox One sales were up 81% over last October.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/11/12/the-best-selling-games-for-october-announced

5 days, and modern gaming is exceptionally front loaded. Halo 3 and 4 sold over 3 million day 1. Not week one or two weeks.

Also, PC gaming seems to be taking over the industry.

While it's true PC gaming has gotten bigger, I can tell you with absolute certainty that this is not the case. 

Not surprised. With the lack of xbox one install base plus with them continuing to cater to the cod kids like they are the main audience im really not.

I just figured at this point why would I play halo 5 and support 343 when I can play cs?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just figured at this point why would I play halo 5 and support 343 when I can play cs?

for many of us, the uniqueness of Halo gameplay makes it preferable to any other FPS ... I still enjoy H5 more than Quake Live, UT, CS, etc., despite these games being "better" according to most people

You're absolutely right. No matter how much certain posters believe so, the franchise wouldn't be able to return to its' former glory with a CE type Halo game. H2 and H3 were huge because they were the most fun to all groups of gamers.

I feel the game that could get something back would be an H3 remake taken to the next level. We all know what was wrong with H3, so fix it and let the game be better than it was. 343 isn't great at making games better, but there is a clear plan that is laid out and easy code to rip from that could make this a walk in the park for them. Fix the BR, fix the FOV, fix the shitty equipment that people won't use, roll H5 Forge (if its actually worth the wait) over into H3 so we can make better maps, add the custom game options that are missing from freaking H5 that people are in arms about. Implement everything from H3, but fix the shit that made people angry about the game. You could even throw the freaking CE pistol in the game as a power weapon and I think it wouldn't break the game. Just don't add the unnecessary things in that they always add. No huge hitboxes. No lens flare and outrageous lighting. Don't block off the rigid ledges that let people try to explore parts of the maps with trick jumps.

And many people think there were shit maps, so don't just keep it to only H3 maps, include some H2 maps that were huge. Blackout was a bastard remake of Lockout, so put a real Lockout remake in there. (I know we've had Lockout in every game, but take it as an example. There is Guardian anyways) Put other H2 favorites in like Turf, Waterworks, or whatever. The two games were very similar in mechanics and it would work well. I'm sure if you fix the issues H3 had, even some H1 maps could potentially "work".

Remaking games always sounds like a cheap way to make money, but I feel that Halo as a whole would actually need a FIXED H3 remake if things are as bad as people are saying. I don't really know how bad it is because I haven't even stayed current with the H5 figures, or even the game in general and I know H3 wasn't the most competitively sound game and CE was the tits when it comes to competitive merit, but 343 missed the boat with both CE and H2 already. So instead of just a simple remake, it could be like an all inclusive Halo game. MCC is never going to be what it was supposed to be, so it's definitely not the Ultimate Halo Collection it was supposed be. If H5 is as bad as what is being said and classic Halo needs a rebirth, then H3's 10 year is coming up sooner than H6 and that's a ship they shouldn't let pass by. It just needs to be a complete game before they release it this time. No more broken MCC games or partial H5 missing half it's features at launch.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My 0.02 on getting Halo out of its ditch and back on the rise.

Honestly, the core gameplay just needs to be fun again. That could mean going back to H2-3 style gameplay, it could mean adopting CE-style mechanics, it could even mean becoming a class-based shooter. Simply put, I disagree with this forum's consensus that 'different = inherently bad'. The changes Reach, 4 and 5 brought aren't bad because they're outside of Halo's core (which itself is a stupid, completely subjective buzzword), they're bad because they're not fun. They're fucking frustrating. From just a common sense perspective, I can't see anyone - casual or competitive - enjoying losing gun battles from Bloom, dying to an Incineration Cannon from RNG ordnance, or trying to track the movement of Spartans that can boost, glide and slide fucking everywhere.

I really think there's a lot to this. You just can't ignore the intangible fun factor. When I play w my friends in H5 I hear more frustration and not as many laughs as w past games. Also, I'm not sure that some of the things like assassinations are a turn off for people because they're insulting. When H4 first came out I played against an obviously new player and I assassinated her 8 times in the same game. About a month later I was going through my past games and looked at her profile and that was literally the last multiplayer game she ever played of H4. I felt a bit bad about that, but it did make me think that maybe things like assassinations were a turn off for some people. The way people die is important I believe - if it feels too cheap or insulting or unfair then people stop playing. Over the years Halo under 343 has lost its sense of humor (although at least there's some decent grunt dialogue again).

• Upvote (+1) 2

H3 anniversary is probably the last chance to save Halo.... Take out all the bullshit, fix the br, fov, no equipment, faster movespeed and you have a solid competitive game on your hands. Add in awesome social features and it could definitely be a hit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are there any plausible rumors about a Halo 3 Anniversary even being possible? I can't see it happening after the MCC debacle.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are there any plausible rumors about a Halo 3 Anniversary even being possible? I can't see it happening after the MCC debacle.

Money is the only reason I see thrown around. 

Halo 3 Anniversary doesn't need to happen. It's already (well kind of) playable in 1080/60fps and it really doesn't need the upgrade that CEA and H2A got. Game looks great and has aged well.

It probably will because it'll make a ton of money. And if H5 truly is this dead I'm sure fans will be clamouring for it to revive the series.

Or we can stop trying to fix Halo and let it die (which it won't). I knew what this thread was before I even read it. Using misinformation to further an Agenda. Halo 5 has sold over $400 million in Games and Hardware (H5 Console), so unless they sold more consoles than games these numbers are wrong.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/11/04/halo-5-guardians-biggest-halo-launch-in-history/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I dont think the numbers are as hurrendous as stated, but anyone considering the H5 launch numbers decent in any way are deluded. This is Microsofts main AAA exclusive title, not some niche game that can never ever possibly match COD.

Damaging the brand with multiple poor games and launches will do that, combined with a lot less of the usual "9/10, best FPS ever, needed more graphics" reviews.

Or we can stop trying to fix Halo and let it die (which it won't). I knew what this thread was before I even read it. Using misinformation to further an Agenda. Halo 5 has sold over $400 million in Games and Hardware (H5 Console), so unless they sold more consoles than games these numbers are wrong.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/11/04/halo-5-guardians-biggest-halo-launch-in-history/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They said hardware for a reason. It is a massive pr spin and you're falling for it. The fact that they haven't boasted about copies sold is very telling, man.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Let's say

400k consoles at $500 = $200 million

2.5 million games at $70 (averaging in limited editions) = $175 million

400k controllers at $60 = $25 million

Req packs push it over $400 million

Remember npd is US only. MS said global that's why I say 2.5 million copies for these numbers.

I think there's still a lot of standard MCC bundles on sale too so those get counted.

Halo 5 has the potential to be Halo's transition back to what the franchise is known for, but it all depends on how 343 handle post-launch.

This also isn't just how they handle in-game content.   They need to handle the HCS very well.  If the game starts getting attractive viewcounts and the tournaments are well run more people will want to watch and it will drag people back into Halo.  If it looks like what went down in 343 vs The Internet people will turn it off.

There's sell-in and sell-through. One number is how much product was sold to retailers and the other is how much was sold to customers.

They could easily hit the 400mil in sell-in without moving that many copies to actual customers.

H3 anniversary is probably the last chance to save Halo.... Take out all the bullshit, fix the br, fov, no equipment, faster movespeed and you have a solid competitive game on your hands. Add in awesome social features and it could definitely be a hit.

Sounds like a solid plan until you realize that 343 actually added BR spread in H2A.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nah dude, they're gonna try to spin this as "no one likes arena gameplay in 2015" and move Halo even farther away from its core.

This is sadly what I was thinking

H5 is 6th on the most played games section. For an exclusive title it should at least be in the top 3.

for many of us, the uniqueness of Halo gameplay makes it preferable to any other FPS ... I still enjoy H5 more than Quake Live, UT, CS, etc., despite these games being "better" according to most people

So do I, but halo 5 doesn't have that halo gameplay lol.