Sign in to follow this  
Batchford

How to Improve H5 Arena

As long as Scattershot is also still respawning every 10 seconds on maps, sure. :)

Yeah, cause everyone running around with easy to use, close to mid range power weapons is a good thing, right?

As long as Scattershot is also still respawning every 10 seconds on maps, sure. :)

I remember when Halo was about who was the good shot with the utility weapon, not hoarding autos and shottys...

• Upvote (+1) 2

I remember when Halo was about who was the good shot with the utility weapon, not hoarding autos and shottys...

Go run around solo on Rig, grab Scatter, then watch the Scatter spawn point.

I swear it respawns every 10 seconds. If we're complaining about Storm Instabrew, why is the even stronger weapon not a problem?

Also, Halo has never been solely about who had the better shot with a utility weapon. That is just what MLG dumbed down competitive ganeplay to. Those of us who played other play lists knew better. Granted, the utility weapon was core, but knowing when to trade out for your playstyles or the plays you were about to make was also important.

I swear it respawns every 10 seconds. If we're complaining about Storm Instabrew, why is the even stronger weapon not a problem?

Also, Halo has never been solely about who had the better shot with a utility weapon. That is just what MLG dumbed down competitive ganeplay to. Those of us who played other play lists knew better. Granted, the utility weapon was core, but knowing when to trade out for your playstyles or the plays you were about to make was also important.

Fair enough, but these weapons have literally become the core of gameplay. Like, even the pro team have "adapted" and have now started crouching around with automatics in close range scenarios. I was speaking with Simms today about it and even he admitted that it was awkward to cast because of the amount of Auto use and crouching.

The Storm Rifle is just the best gun in the game, 2nd is SMG/Scatter and 3rd is AR. Pistol is literally low tier and it's touted as the "utility weapon"

The sandbox is fucked.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Storm Rifle is just the best gun in the game, 2nd is SMG/Scatter and 3rd is AR. Pistol is literally low tier and it's touted as the "utility weapon"

The sandbox is fucked.

I spectate a ton of pro gameplay looking for gameplay for my videos, and your statements don't match my observations, unless you exclusively watch Aries.

I spectate a ton of pro gameplay looking for gameplay for my videos, and your statements don't match my observations, unless you exclusively watch Aries.

Well your statements of long timers being good for the game don't match my gameplay of playing the highest skill ceiling Halo game. So we shall agree to disagree.

watched Contra play on Twitch last night for a few hours ... his pistol is absolutely disgusting and he had no problem using it all game, every game (though he would drop it for a BR).  I think you might be extrapolating too much from your experience in Team Doubles this week, though I agree that automatics / close-range weapons need to be nerfed a bit

Then they need to fix their placement system, because it's inadvertently getting players stomped by placing them too high.

However purposely restricting players to placing no higher than gold, guarantee's lots of players will get stomped, not just the few who placed higher than they should due to being carried by better teammates. 

edit:  if you're going to restrict players and place them low initially, why even bother with a divisional system?  Its then no different to the 1-50 grind for the better players, so they may as well have brought that back.   The placements get rid of loads of redundant games, and allows players to match people of their skill level quicker.  Why would you want to restrict that?  So you can "grind" easy wins?

A few outlier plats in onyx don't devalue the entire system.

I'm not advocating for restricting players. Though I don't think putting a maximum cap on diamond after placement would be an issue since this game should have party restrictions and allow champions to be able(if no other match is available) to match as low as diamond players.

I get what you're saying and I mastered the crouching plasma rifle hidden bruteshot but this game has just taken it too far.

Except there are people that are waiting half an hour for games...

Please, continue to tell me how that's a "fucking dumb argument" when people are staring at the searching screen because they've reached a high rank and they're playing outside of peak hours.

I can't even find FFA games half the time FFS and I'm not even ranked yet.

I don't know what fantasy land you're living in, but Halo no longer has a huge population count, especially if you're living outside of North America.

You want to know what will kill the game far faster than losing games to teams of 4 when queuing solo?

How about not find a game at all?

Communication is the problem. They need to take party chat out of arena to try and encourage communication. Back during H2/H3/Reach I used to scrim randoms all the time with my teams. As long as everyone on the opposing team was around our skill level the games were fun and close.

What your proposing doesn't take regions with lower populations into account. If you live in North America you honestly have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to waiting times for games.

We don't have the population for party restrictions as strict as Halo 3. Halo 3 had a huge population, that is why it worked.

I wanted to reply but Cooper the wizard already read my mind and posted what I would've said:

So loosen up the skill level restrictions. There's no reason champions can't match onyx and diamond players. Searching 50 high in H3 you'd match brigs and colonels.

H5 is the 2nd or 3rd most played game on live lol. There are a shit ton of people playing this game.

It still worked years after launch when H3 had a population far smaller than H5 has now.

It's a joke that there are no party restrictions. They spent years and millions of dollars making this ranking system and then they shit all over it by letting to4's match randoms. It's so backwards.

Yeah I'm aware that maybe in AUS/NZ and Asia there will be problems, but as Cooper said, just widen the skill matching. Every minute match players - let's say 10% - further away until after "literally half an hour" it can match any to4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If im in diamond searching solo i'd much rather match a champion searching solo than a team of 4 diamonds.

In the AR's case, again I'd prefer to take a RoF hit over any other route -- one thing great about the AR is that it has perfect tap accuracy, and you can prevent recoil/reduce bloom by crouching+using SmartLink.  If you lower its RoF, its perfect kill time gets reduced, but the Optimal Use kill time doesn't actually take a hit.  Players who are using the AR as a Crouch+Tap weapon, as it is intended, continue to be rewarded for their skillful use of a gun.

For the Storm Rifle / SMG, I am of the opinion they are fine.

I really don't understand what's so skillful about "crouch+tapping" an automatic.  If you're at a range where you have to "tap" an automatic, then you really shouldn't pose a risk to any player that can aim a pistol well.

SR/SMG might be fine if there was one on the map at once. Having 3-4 players carrying one at any moment has already shown itself to be an awful Halo game. Crouching around corners and waiting for someone to walk by to spray them down is not only doable in this game now, but it is actually a good strategy.

I am bad at aiming and I promise you, it is possible to miss with the Sniper. :)  And if I'm bad at aiming, and am high Plat (searching solo only) in all playlists... imagine how a change to the Sniper's bullet mag would affect players in Gold, Silver, or Bronze.  I know it's not great to "balance for low skilled players", but the weapon does have to be USABLE by them.

I don't even know what to say. Are you telling me that the Halo 3 sniper was absolutely unusable by anyone that wasn't a pro? Because the skill disparity in the H3 sniper and H5's is massive. Once again an example of the game being balanced around bad players, and of how that completely breaks high level play.

I don't want H5 Camo on a one-minute timer.  An added benefit of leaving the power-ups on dynamic timers while power weapons are on static timers is it gives players a chance to contest one, then use that one to go for the other -- if you die rushing for a power weapon, you're taken out of the equation for the respawning power-up.

Assuming a well-coordinated team is completely incapable of setting up for an OS and going for a power-weapon later. The team that grabs the power-up will be able to setup for both. Unless they just so happen to come up within literally 5 seconds of each other. In which case, the disadvantaged team will still not know when the power-up is spawning.

Again, keep in mind that there are lesser-skilled players playing the game.  I'm not saying "Make the bullets bend around walls." but they do have to feel like they are being effective.  Going overboard on nerfs to the different kinds of aim assist can make this game (a much harder Halo than recent titles) unforgiving and harsh toward potential new players.

Once again there's just not much to say here. No one here wants a console game with no aim assist or magnetism, but the ease on every precision weapon including the sniper is absurd, and once again shows the issues we have with skill-based play when the game is catered towards people who can't aim.

I'm neutral on this.  I can see it from both sides.

From a gameplay perspective, it's somewhat unfair to know you've done damage if you didn't see damage dealt.

From a clarity perspective, it's good to know ANY time your weapon has dealt damage.

Clarity is not a good enough reason to give crucial information to people that can chuck a grenade.  Coupled with radar, this game has the least freedom of movement in any Halo game. It becomes massively harder to flank when even negligible damage done by a stray nade is going to tell the other team where you are.

I disagree here.

I think the "Motion Tracker" Radar should be replaced by a feature that highlights players that fit any of the following criteria:

• Recently seen by you.
  • Recently seen by one of your teammates.
  • Recently damaged by you/your teammates (if you remove grenade hitmarkers, it's still possible this futuristic equipment could "hear" they were hit, and at least have them show up if nearby on radar.)
  • The player is currently firing a weapon.
This way, players are never discouraged from moving -- the radar basically works similarly to the "Flag Spotted" mechanic they are currently using for CTF.

So basically remove most of the need to communicate in this game. Okay.

my replies in bold

• Upvote (+1) 3

People are actually defending the sniper/autos and no party restrictions? Really? What the hell man I thought people liked competitive Halo. I guess a dumbed down game is what some people wanted all along. I hope 343 listens to you Batch and not the people trying to keep the game unbalanced as fuck.

Here's the solution to power-ups spawning between a few seconds of one another due to static spawn abuse:

Make it like Halo 3, where something set on a static timer despawns about 1 minute after being left idle with no one picking it up.

So if a power-up is left unattended for a minute after spawning, it'll despawn. Like this, there's no chance of power-ups being stacked on a single team and having two people running around with camo or OS.

Aside from that Batch, I think it's a great post, but removing TS might be too controversial/opinionated to make people agree with the whole. I see where you're coming from, but for some reason, people like TS.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here's the solution to power-ups spawning between a few seconds of one another due to static spawn abuse:

Make it like Halo 3, where something set on a static timer despawns about 1 minute after being left idle with no one picking it up.

So if a power-up is left unattended for a minute after spawning, it'll despawn. Like this, there's no chance of power-ups being stacked on a single team and having two people running around with camo or OS.

I disagree with this idea. There's no need to overcomplicate something like this just for the sake of having static timers.

At the moment, dynamic timers work well enough. If the issue is with one team dominating powerup control, it'd be easier to simply put timers on them like the weapon pads have. That way both teams have equal knowledge and can contest for them.

Chances of 343 ever responding to something like this..0.

Such a shame, I wish they would at least open their mouths. 

I disagree with this idea. There's no need to overcomplicate something like this just for the sake of having static timers.

At the moment, dynamic timers work well enough. If the issue is with one team dominating powerup control, it'd be easier to simply put timers on them like the weapon pads have. That way both teams have equal knowledge and can contest for them.

Doesn't change the fact that with weapon pads, a team could have enough control to hold people off a power-up then snowball with double power-ups when the second one is about to spawn... imagine dealing with two camos on rig, one has camo sniper, the other has camo scattershot. Have fun.

It's not overcomplicating it, it's just preventing balance issues.

Scattershot is a tier 2 weapon so it respawns immediately after it gets removed from the game. Tier 2 weapon count won't ever exceed the amount of weapons initially placed on the map of that type.

Storm Rifle and SMG are Tier 1 weapons which means they spawn 20 seconds after they are picked up. Tier 1 weapons will spawn regardless of whether or not the previously picked up instance if the weapon is still in play.

There's a fairly significant difference, and I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to bump the Storm Rifle up to Tier 2 (by all means leave two of them on the maps they appear on, just make sure that they won't be spawned endlessly).

• Upvote (+1) 2

Scattershot is a tier 2 weapon so it respawns immediately after it gets removed from the game. Tier 2 weapon count won't ever exceed the amount of weapons initially placed on the map of that type.

Storm Rifle and SMG are Tier 1 weapons which means they spawn 20 seconds after they are picked up. Tier 1 weapons will spawn regardless of whether or not the previously picked up instance if the weapon is still in play.

There's a fairly significant difference, and I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to bump the Storm Rifle up to Tier 2 (by all means leave two of them on the maps they appear on, just make sure that they won't be spawned endlessly).

I can agree with that, BUT, I emphasize that when I'm solo on The Rig, Scatter is spawning every 10 seconds without being emptied or dropped.

Theres nothing complicated about vetoed's idea.

Dynamic timers simply make no sense to your average player and are arguably not as good as static timers in competitive play as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can agree with that, BUT, I emphasize that when I'm solo on The Rig, Scatter is spawning every 10 seconds without being emptied or dropped.

Ive never seen more than one scattershot in play at a time.

Doesn't change the fact that with weapon pads, a team could have enough control to hold people off a power-up then snowball with double power-ups when the second one is about to spawn... imagine dealing with two camos on rig, one has camo sniper, the other has camo scattershot. Have fun.

It's not overcomplicating it, it's just preventing balance issues.

You misunderstand. I'm not suggesting for weapon pads, I'm suggesting for keeping dynamic timers on powerups, but adding an in-game counter like what weapon pads have.

The issue is that the first team to pick up a powerup has knowledge of when it'll spawn, letting that team control and snowball with that information. As Batchford says, timing a powerup may be a skill, but contesting for it is a greater one. Adding an in-game counter to a dynamic powerup avoids all of the issues that come from static timer abuse while solving the knowledge gate.

It emphasizes the teamfight portion of powerup control at the cost of being able to time it, which is a fair trade-off in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You misunderstand. I'm not suggesting for weapon pads, I'm suggesting for keeping dynamic timers on powerups, but adding an in-game counter like what weapon pads have.

The issue is that the first team to pick up a powerup has knowledge of when it'll spawn, letting that team control and snowball with that information. As Batchford says, timing a powerup may be a skill, but contesting for it is a greater one. Adding an in-game counter to a dynamic powerup avoids all of the issues that come from static timer abuse while solving the knowledge gate.

It emphasizes the teamfight portion of powerup control at the cost of being able to time it, which is a fair trade-off in my opinion.

Oh ok, that's a fair alternative I guess.

Static timers for power items are better than dynamic timers because of consistency. For a example static timers for all power items allows the power-ups to be able to consistently spawn at the same as the rockets so they can balance each other out. It's important that the power-ups are able to consistently spawn at the same time as the tier 3 weapons so there's a way to counter tier 3 weapons.