Sign in to follow this  
WARGOD

Online vs LAN tournaments

Let's for a moment assume that latency is not an issue and we live in a world where online play feels just like LAN.

Type 1: Online - Players can't see each others screens, so they have to make precise call-outs and have great communication.

Type 2: LAN - Four player on the same screen, making precise call outs and having great communication regardless.

Once can argue that screen watching is a skill, and therefore, type 2 involves more skill because you are adding an additional aspect to the game.  If just a single person on the other team is not as good at screen watching as the opposition where say, all of them are good screen watchers, it can be the difference between winning and losing.  This in turn increases skill gap.

Also the impact of coaching plays a factor.  Two opposing coaches who can see their player's respective screens makes for a much more competitive atmosphere, as opposed to online tournament where this is not an option.

It is for this reason that I think online tournaments will always be a poor mans version of a real tournament, EVEN if online latency was as good as LAN.  People I find lose sight of this fact and think that it all come down to lag and that once online play is optimized to play like LAN, that it showcases just as much skill.  I disagree.  Discuss.

It comes down to whoevers playing. Some people might actually perform worse splitscreen due to distraction and constant checking and losing focus. Also coaching doesn't factor much when you get the same experience usingg a timer over online.

The two problems online has: latency and that "feeling". Online will never have the same experience as in person facing off against the other team and seeing their reaction while playing side by side with a teammate.

When you say "It comes down to whoevers playing" to me means that the player who doesn't get distracted and can keep focus while constant checking is exhibiting a higher degree of skill.  

Outside of game factors (I think in game coaching is stupid btw. Coaches should only be a thing between matches) Tournaments/LANs definitely have a way different vibe than online matches. Online is much more calm than an in person LAN/Tournament. You're eyeing killers/threats, you're listening to players trash talk, it smells, you're talking to people for intel on other teams, etc. A first timer in a legit Tournament is going to be a lot more antsy than someone in an online environment. Online you canplay matches in your boxers while eating the pasta your mom made in between spawns while an inperson tournament is much more business. Not to mention if you get put on stream with a crowd watching you're going to be very antsy compared to just sitting in your room. A lot of players live and die from how the crowd perceives them and if you're one of those players who crumbles from a hot crowd totally against you or they got hype from what the other team did, you're going to be way more screwed than if you were just playing an online game

Growing up on goldeneye and perfect dark I became an excellent screen watcher which was great for lanning halo 1.  However as I have lanned less and less I noticed this skill has gotten much worse.

• Upvote (+1) 1