Cooper

Does Breakout belong in Team Arena/HCS?

"Its different so I don't like it" Is all i'm reading in this thread..........

It's not even about not liking it. It's just too different to be in team arena.

If breakout is in, why isn't SWAT?

• Upvote (+1) 2

The most hilarious thing about breakout is that you can trade kills with someone in a 1v1 and win the round even though both died. I've had this happen twice to me before. Imagine that happening at a tournament.

I enjoy breakout, but not as a Halo gametype. I still play quite a bit of it since it is played at a much different pace and have fun playing that style, but there are MANY things I would change about the gametype. But if I had my changes, it would basically end up being Counterstrike: Halo lmao.

Even though I like playing it, I don't see why it is in team arena or the HCS. To me, it is no different than having a separate competitive scene for something like Grifball. Grifball can be played competitively, but that doesn't mean it should be played in the HCS. Or BTB.  Breakout can be a very competitive game mode, but it doesn't play like Halo and is a much different change of pace from the rest of the game.

If they insist on having it in the HCS, it needs to be a breakout-variant that includes shields so players have a consistent TTK among all gametypes.

Its ridiculous that breakout is in the arena playlist and even more ridiculous that its going to get tossed into events.

I feel like this issue is getting some what drowned out by other complaints.

Can we start some sort of petition or something?

They would have chucked it into arena to get it some exposure, it is a completely new gametype in Halo and many "Hardcore" players would not search it and give it much of a chance. I assume in the coming months it will be removed from whatever becomes the new "Arena" playlist, but still think with updates it will be a gametype played about 5-10% of the time in HCS.

I didn't realize so many people disliked Breakout; it's the only game-type I found entertaining or tolerable in the beta and it's still the only fun game type to me.

The only things that need to change in my opinion is how easy it is to get kills with it being 1 grenade, 1 melee and 2/3 BR shots.

I honestly want to know why everyone hates it so much. I really enjoy it.

But then again, I must be weird because I love strongholds.

343 didn't create it.

Yeah well, they didn't create Chief either but they're using that. Actually from how the story is going they may be getting rid of that as well lol:( But yeah not on topic.

Support. Breakout is fine game type for what it is. Commend 343 for thinking outside the box.

As far as competitive game types go, Breakout is assuredly not one of them. Lucky grenade across the map? Great now your team is at a distinct disadvantage. The way the maps are designed, you can literally lottery nade a few wins in a set simply because you can hide beyond geometry and throw grenades that have hella blast radius.

Someone made a Smash reference in here so I'll continue it. It's like having a Smash tournament where in a Best of 3

Game 1 - Melee

Game 2 - Smash 4

Game 3 - Melee

• Upvote (+1) 1

*incoming "stop being so negative" posts*

On Topic: You mean SnD doesnt work for Halo the same way it does for COD?? Who woulda thunk it.

I think Assault and Extraction would work amazingly well in Halo 5 and that they would provide that 1v3 time to clutch situation where the player clutching would have the advantage because the rest are focused on the objective whereas in Breakout there are a few big issues

1. You can't increase the kill times to make a game type in an FPS. Those are fundamentals that should be smooth across all game types. Think of it this way, when the EU community played 4sk settings in H4 it was bad for spectators because they were playing a different game, this is different, but in many ways a worst experience for spectators and something players don't want to get used to.

2. By lowering the kill times you are trying to make it so 1 player can have a bigger impact if he is last man or he gets behind the enemy team, that is totally the wrong way to do it, if you want something like that then give us Extraction (and fix the fucking respawn timers to 5 and 10 seconds jesus christ) where if the enemy team is trying to convert and you are last alive vs 3 people, you can get behind one, kill him, throw a grenade kill someone else and then stop the convert. Then that same situation happens 1 minute later since it is a respawn game type and not round based.

3. I feel it tries so hard to make Halo something it isn't when it makes the map paintball maps, turns off respawn (every game type ever had respawn) and then makes the kill times faster.

4. I actually enjoy Breakout in general, it just isn't competitive at all. Me and 3 other players came back from a 4-2 deficit vs Formal, Karma, Ricky and Wheats by just sitting back and shooting people who tried to make a play, there was no one person making huge plays it was just us being rewarded for playing like pussies.

5. I know it will be taken out due to the community hating it and 343i saying it will listen to it as far as keeping it in competitive, but I want 343 to know why what I perceive they wanted to get out of the way Breakout is played couldn't be accomplished with that approach. All the pro's agree with Bomb and Extraction from what I have heard so far though.

Worst game type ever in Halos history.

You've clearly never played Dino Blasters on Uncaged 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yep keep it in its own playlist please. It isn't even vanilla settings which 343 really stresses HCS to be. 

Yeah that is so hypocritical after the huge history with settings and how all of the competitive community has even been open minded about automatic weapons, starting weapons and radar (though radar is like 10 steps to far and should be exiled from competitive according to me and every pro who has commented on it). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If 343 changed Breakout to normal shields/settings, would this fix the issue most of you seem to have?

The maps would still be super linear and campy, so no.

Including shields would lessen the comeback potential.

H2 Blast Resort > H5 Breakout.

Similar concept.. except 1 Sided Bomb Objective and Regular Shields.

I always found it to be a pretty fun / competitive experience but it was nothing more than a ActionSack game type, go figure.

Blast Resort was some good shit.

It's a fun gametype, but it needs to be it's own thing.  This is just shoving it down our throats.  It doesn't belong in Arena, and it doesn't belong in HCS.  Now, if you want to do separate Breakout tournaments, that'd be pretty cool.  I'd be interested to watch.  But it just doesn't belong with the rest of the gametypes.  It'd be like having a Swat game right in the middle of a series.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Also why is the objective not a bomb? For 10+ years in halo you have always brought a flag to your base and a bomb to the enemy base--its not a huge deal, but definitely adds unnecessary confusion for noobs/spectators.

Because there is no Bomb model in H5. Assault is probably gone for good, seeing as it also wasn't in H4

Because there is no Bomb model in H5. Assault is probably gone for good, seeing as it also wasn't in H4

I hope not, assault was the game mode I enjoyed the mode on MCC.

I honestly want to know why everyone hates it so much. I really enjoy it.

But then again, I must be weird because I love strongholds.

Its too jarring to jump from default to a heavily altered custom variant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The maps would still be super linear and campy, so no.

Only one of the maps come off as linear to me. Don't know the name off the top of my head.

And campy? I don't see it. Sure, there's some spots you can camp, but you can do that on any Halo map ever made.

It's a fun gametype, but it needs to be it's own thing.  This is just shoving it down our throats.  It doesn't belong in Arena, and it doesn't belong in HCS.  Now, if you want to do separate Breakout tournaments, that'd be pretty cool.  I'd be interested to watch.  But it just doesn't belong with the rest of the gametypes.  It'd be like having a Swat game right in the middle of a series.

Maybe I don't care or I just don't get it, but why does the placement of this game type matter so much? I don't see any harm in having Breakout in Arena.

Maybe I don't care or I just don't get it, but why does the placement of this game type matter so much? I don't see any harm in having Breakout in Arena.

I don't want to play it in Arena because its too different.  Arena is the only place I can play both TS and Objective games with good settings, and Breakout just kinda gets in the way.  It's so out of place.  If I wanted to play it I'd go to the Breakout playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't want to play it in Arena because its too different.  Arena is the only place I can play both TS and Objective games with good settings, and Breakout just kinda gets in the way.  It's so out of place.  If I wanted to play it I'd go to the Breakout playlist.

Oh, wait, I think I understand the issue now.

I didn't realize that Breakout was in team arena as well, I was just referring the arena where you get access to each playlist.

I can understand the frustration now; I'm not sure Breakout would work well in a mix of competitive game types, at least not in its current state.

• Upvote (+1) 1

+1 I fucking hate breakout

*incoming "stop being so negative" posts*

On Topic: You mean SnD doesnt work for Halo the same way it does for COD?? Who woulda thunk it.

[the problem with breakout is]...that people will get tired real quickly of rushing, dying, and waiting for the game to end. It isn't a halo game where people enjoy engaging in firefights often. Like dominion it won't last long and will eventually be relegated to action sack rotation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i like breakout for what it is, a fast TTK game type that works well with the abilities. I feel like it's was 343 test gametype between default and SWAT. Hell even the gametype description uses the term "high lethality" which @@Deez often refers to for CoD and other modern shooter.

However I agree it doesn't fit with arena given the change in shield/ health levels being inconsistent. It's like playing the 3rd period of a NHL game with no equipment, just skates and a stick.

So there needs to be an "Arena Breakout" gametype. That has:

- default shields/health

- uses the normal maps (not the breakout maps)

- there needs to be 2 neutral objectives, 2 flags/bombs. That way scoring the objective would actually be possible and not an after thought. And would create more interesting strategies.

• Upvote (+1) 1