CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

He wouldn't have the same success following wise (obviously; the biggest CoD followings all belong to Optic guys) but I think you underestimate Formal's popularity.  He was growing rapidly while he was still on Envy, long before he ever joined Optic.  He spent most of that Ghosts season as one of the bigger discussion topics.  His skill and naturally likable down-to-earth personality would have made him a popular player regardless.

Nobody brings the social media power like Optic in Call of Duty, next biggest one is Faze (Faze is probably bigger or on the same level), then Envy. I was saying if he never left Halo his following would be nowhere near what it is from being on some of the most powerful social media fueled teams in Call of Duty. Just a fact. 

Other guys have come up from CoD and built a decent following without being on Optic, (and they are usually on Faze) but its the Optic guys who really shine on social when getting picked up. 

spartan's ability in h5 is uncanny

watch him for awhile, and be mesmerized by his wizardry

his shot is great, of course, but his situational awareness and weapon choice is the best in the game. 

renegades communication overall is excellent, too. they're very much like EG with describing where they are and what they're doing in callouts. 

On one of the plaza games(strongholds I think) where RNG were running around like crazy, VicX or Spartan vocally told everyone to chill and calm down, they came back like 70 points for the win. That game easily could have gone the wrong way but they kept Ninja and the game in line for the win. Very refreshing.

Nobody brings the social media power like Optic in Call of Duty, next biggest one is Faze (Faze is probably bigger or on the same level), then Envy. I was saying if he never left Halo his following would be nowhere near what it is from being on some of the most powerful social media fueled teams in Call of Duty. Just a fact. 

Other guys have come up from CoD and built a decent following without being on Optic, (and they are usually on Faze) but its the Optic guys who really shine on social when getting picked up. 

No shit, Halo is small potatoes.

You don't need to tell me that Optic has a devoted fanbase.  But realize that Karma is also on Optic and had a HUGE head-start "following wise"  on Formal as he was one of the most followed non-Optic Pro's due to his BO2 and then coL Ghosts success...yet he's sitting at nearly 100K less followers than Formal.  Why? They're both on the same team.

You underestimate Formal's likability.  He possessed that before he joined Optic.  That same likability also made him one of the most popular Halo streamers back in Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 5

No shit, Halo is small potatoes.

You don't need to tell me that Optic has a devoted fanbase.  But realize that Karma is also on Optic and had a HUGE head-start "following wise"  on Formal as he was one of the most followed non-Optic Pro's due to his BO2 and then coL Ghosts success...yet he's sitting at nearly 100K less followers than Formal.  Why? They're both on the same team.

You underestimate Formal's likability.  He possessed that before he joined Optic.  That same likability also made him one of the most popular Halo streamers back in Reach.

No shit. 

I am not underestimating anything. I explained in earlier posts why Formal has success despite not making much content, and why Optic is a brand that fuels that success and takes it to another level. 

Likeability is a factor in life in general, but if someone provides a massive audience to realize that you are such a likable person, that is the hard part. There are plenty of nice and likable people in the gaming scene, the problem is that they do not have an audience to broadcast to.

Optic brings the audience, players show up. They always have a degree of success, but the level of success is of course up to the amount of likability they bring, and unless you are a complete hermit, it is not that hard to be a nice person or make a pleasant VLOG. (in my opinion).

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Optic COD team = Pro Team

Optic Halo team = B Team

Everybody knows this, H3CZ is roasting them in every video, trying to light a fire under them. Formal is roasting them, etc. Its a known fact, I agree.

Where is @@CoachMayyne? I know he screenshotted Formals followers before he joined Optic. I can confidently say that if he was never on Optic Gaming that he wouldn't have had the success he has had following wise. Not to say he wouldnt have a following, but Optic is on another level on social media.

It is what Optic is great at, they give players the tools to build their "own" following and make a name for themselves. Formal didn't really make content but just destroys at events and made a name for himself by just winning and making insane plays.

If he stayed in Halo he would probably be where all the pros are at now with 15-40k followers. Which doesnt mean his personality is "bad" or his grind is "garbage", the Halo scene just simply does not offer the scope and audience that a multiplatform game like Call of Duty offers, and Optic is one of the best organizations at harnessing that audience. Which in turn allows their players to reap the rewards.

I think formal is just a bad example. If he were to have gone to any CoD team and did what he's done he would have blown up. I agree that OpTic has a huge following and anyone that joins get a bunch of new followers but I think that is in part because of what formal and Nadeshot and crim and scump and karma were able to accomplish.

It's different for the halo scene because 90% of optic fans are just trickling over from the CoD side. Since the halo team isn't winning games they are liked more for their personalities than they are for their ability to win. So having good personalities like flame and Maniac are good to have for the brands sake. It would be awesome to see them make a move and strengthen their roster, like in the vision episode when Hecz says "I need to know if you guys can win. Because Mikwen and ola are free agents right now ", but I think Hecz is having a hard time pulling the trigger because he knows that the majority of optic fans would rather see Mike and Nick around the house.

Breakout is not going anywhere until after Halo World Champs. If the HCS diverts to anything but vanilla settings for Halo World Champs I would be extremely surprised. The event is a huge marketing tool and they obviously want to broadcast the game in an extremely "out of the box" state.

I do think they could remove Breakout without damaging that "out of the box" feel, but considering the hype they put it on pre-launch.. I doubt it.

:( I'm sad becusse that's probably the case. But I am rooting for Season 4 to have classic gametypes back and breakout gone.

Missing the point completely. If Maniac was not on Optic and uploaded 10 videos a week he would be on the "youtube grind" and have less than 1,000 subscribers. 

The only difference is that he joined Optic, all the big guys juiced his videos, so now he has an audience to broadcast the videos to. 

Maniac didnt bring the audience, Optic did, which is what they do with every player they pickup. 

100k subscribers are nothing to these guys who have millions of them. They can churn out 100 personalities like Maniac and Flamesword if they wanted. 

Point is: Nobody is safe, they could drop the whole squad and it wouldn't impact the organization in the grand scheme of things.

You are missing the obvious point that Maniac has a personality that creates followers. He's a funny, likable, charismatic dude. Stellur is not. (I'm not hating on Stellur btw, I am not charismatic or likable, either, so it's all good). Yes, you are right - if Maniac was never on Optic, he never would have had a big youtube following. But you can't just completely dismiss the attributes that Maniac brings to the table in terms of making him popular. When you add those attributes to the optic juice, you get a big time following.  

If stellur created a youtube channel, the juice would get him some views. But he wouldn't be bringing in anywhere near the amount Maniac does. Just like how someone mentioned above that Karma has 100k less followers on twitter than Formal. Exact same situation, though with Formal he's more popular cuz his gameplay is what the masses love, while Maniac is more popular because he's a cool dude.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Anarchy to Str8 would be sick af

I don't think T2 can hang yet with better players, maybe in the future, but str8 should leave squared and pick up someone else. 

I don't think T2 can hang yet with better players, maybe in the future, but str8 should leave squared and pick up someone else. 

Not really sure if you can have Str8 without T2

I think formal is just a bad example. If he were to have gone to any CoD team and did what he's done he would have blown up. I agree that OpTic has a huge following and anyone that joins get a bunch of new followers but I think that is in part because of what formal and Nadeshot and crim and scump and karma were able to accomplish.

It's different for the halo scene because 90% of optic fans are just trickling over from the CoD side. Since the halo team isn't winning games they are liked more for their personalities than they are for their ability to win. So having good personalities like flame and Maniac are good to have for the brands sake. It would be awesome to see them make a move and strengthen their roster, like in the vision episode when Hecz says "I need to know if you guys can win. Because Mikwen and ola are free agents right now ", but I think Hecz is having a hard time pulling the trigger because he knows that the majority of optic fans would rather see Mike and Nick around the house.

Not disagreeing with your points, but my only point here is that if lets say they BOTH got dropped right? The brand would not take a hit, all the big players are still there. Optic could pick up more players and turn them into personalities. Would take a bit of time, but they literally just did it with Maniac. 

Here is my garbage analogy before I go to sleep: 

1. You sit down at the dinner table, you have a fork in your hand and a plate in front of you. The plate is empty. 

2. Sitting down is the easy part. (Optic Halo members) 

3. Chef Hecz is in the kitchen making top of the line steaks. (Cooking is the hard part) 

4. Chef Hecz brings you a juicy steak and slaps it right on your plate. 

5. You eat, but realize you  need A1 steak sauce and have to go to the fridge. 

6. You come back, apply the ingredients, and dig in.

What happened?

Optic Halo players showed up to eat (getting picked up, starting youtube channels)

Papa Hecz came through with the steaks (the audience)

Optic Halo players realize they need to do something to give their food some flavor with dat A1 (being likable, learning how to act on camera)

Now they are eating that steak up, or well two of them are.

The hardest part is the cooking (getting the audience). 

The easy part is showing up to eat. (Making VLOGS, putting forth some effort in making yourself likable on camera) 

Hecz can just whip up some steaks for some other fools if he drops the entire team, so some other players can eat off that optic steak (fanbase). Making videos is easy, especially VLOGs, this isnt like they are editing a montage every day or something. Being likable isnt that hard unless you are a completely sheltered human being, or just an asshole - which a lot of youtubers are probably assholes but hide it well on camera.

Not sure if this was bad or good, probably terrible, but I am tired. No more effort to talk about optic halo until they can make some changes or show some major progress. 

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Thats cool, but lets not pretend that they are bulletproof here, like I said before way bigger personalities have been given the boot before. Clayster, Proofy, JKap, Parasite, etc.

Optic could literally pickup Supertoaster95 tomorrow and juice him to maniacs level right now in 6 months, as long as they are on the official roster they get the fans, unless they are complete idiots.

Parasite + Clayster left, Jkap was kicked years ago, before Mboze joined or BigT retired, and Proofy's following is limited to just twitter followers, his youtube and stream numbers aren't significant.  

To Hecz, it's not necessarily about the big personality, but rather how much Optic has contributed to that player's fanbase.  In one of the recent videos, he talks about Mboze's lackluster placings as of late, but Mboze will remain apart of the org because Hecz/Optic completely built up Mboze's following.  I would feel the same way.  

But yeah I agree, a rock could get 100k subs if it was placed in the Optic house.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I disagree. They really aren't very big personalities in the grand scheme of things. If they can hang on a bit longer and get to the size following that lets say, Mboze has, then I think they would be able to squeak on as personalities.

Optic has dropped way bigger dudes than flame and maniac

I disagree with that. As for Maniac, he is one of the more popular members within the house when it comes to their channels. His YT has grown extremely fast and I doubt Hecz would get rid of him, he would most likely get the Boze treatment. 

I absolutely love breakout, but I can see its clearly not ready for competetive games in its current state. 1 big improvement they could put in right away would be to take away starting grenades. That way ppl aren't getting noon tubed from across the map like it's Modern Warfare 1. It would also make grenades on the map more of a focal point.

@@ssbChad @@T0rM3nTeD

Have you guys done any stats combining the first four cups? The sample size of games is probably large enough at this point to matter.

Will be doing player breakdowns for the ladder and online cups before Regionals

• Upvote (+1) 3

Look, all you had to do was ask. If you think you were "left off" you could have said something at any time.

But lets gets some shit clear here. No you weren't "left off". So 3 cups you say? You were on Overdrive for OT2. so no, you mean 2.

You guys might not get this but, us normal community members, we aren't mind readers. We don't take copious amounts of Laser Focus pills so we can see into the future. You don't tell us, we don't know. Simple as that.

After OT2 I had removed you from that Team once it was announced. The F/A list didn't happen until like a bit before OT3. Again, you start running games with teams (STR8, The Force, Orbit, etc) and us that aren't part of the in crowd have to make judgements about what teams you guys are going to end up on because (1) It's fucking Saturday night and we still don't know. (2) People come here asking/saying "This guy is running with X. Why aren't the TOP 16 teams updated? Why don't you do this or that?" like I'm purposely not updated them or something. Literally you have been in 3 places. On your team, on a rumored team, or on the F/A list (because if the first 2 aren't true, you show up there automatically).

It's the same issue halo.esportspedia.com has. If you players want to actually TELL people when you are a F/A and when you join teams BEFORE the cups, then great. If you don't well not much I can do. I can only check so many twitter accounts, so many forum posts, so many "rumors", so many streams, so many gamebattle ladder matches, so many halotracker stats.

I will also mention I am 1 person, with a full time, well paying, job that I work 60+ hours at. I do this late at night and weekends because I don't really sleep. I could just as easily not do it. So, yea. Now I see why people never want to do shit anymore. This isn't just directed at you, but you just hit my nerve with that comment because you weren't "left off" anything.

Come on man....

It's weird reading something like this from the other side.

Not fun hearing "do more" when you do something out of passion.

• Upvote (+1) 7

@@ssbChad @@T0rM3nTeD

Have you guys done any stats combining the first four cups? The sample size of games is probably large enough at this point to matter.

I'll be doing that soon. A couple days probably. Falling behind with keeping my database up-to-date so I have to enter quite a bit still.

• Upvote (+1) 2

https://twitter.com/CptAnarchy/status/689306998538502144

Not one of the most talked about players in Halo 5 but he can still hang and grinds his ass off, not to mention his LAN experience. Any teams looking to make a real run for the last chance seed should think about picking him up.

Anyone know if the whole team is splitting up now?

Team was Unknown

Cafe_Slayz (Cafee Con Leche)
Cpt_Anarchy
ASmartCamper
Ninjaartss