CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I wonder if formal would join a team for the last chance qualifier?

Seems like a no-brainer to me if he has time. 

As much as I haven't been a ninja fan I will be a renegades fan strictly for the logo....looks like the Skoal Bandit logo and as my gt is bandit and I am a "dipper" as most would Reference it that's about as close as you get

• Downvote (-1) 2

The thing that surprises me most out of this is Cloud getting dropped. Was he underperforming on Leftovers?

Real question right now. I don't follow CoD at all, literally can't stand the game. So what does Formal make money on? How much money are we talking about as well (even if just looking at prize pool money)? I assume he makes money from Sponsorship, Twitch/MLG viewership. Does Optic have salary or anything? What else? Honest question as I don't know.

If prize money between Halo tournaments and CoD became narrow or even zero (something that 343 and MS could FORCE to happen, I mean look at HWC right now), he could stay under the Optic brand, keep sponsorship (cause lets be honest, CoD or Halo isn't going to matter on what you sponsor), willing to bet he would retain the same kind of viewership on Twitch. Where is the major difference? I concede if he did youtube videos and "content" it would be different. Hell he could have came back and competed for what I'm going to guess is going to end up as a $3-4 million tournament, and he almost did when it was, what, $1million? Again, I don't know what he makes playing CoD, but I'm willing to guess if he would have come back and won that he would have had higher earnings for the year.

• as of right now formal regularly gets more than 4k on his twitch stream and has the largest amount of subscribers for cod on twitch currently. (that is 4 times the number of ninjas stream viewers usually) whose main source of income is twitch.. 
  • There are typically more tournaments in COD then in Halo with larger prize pools which when you place in the top 2 every tournament except one which they did last year is a substantial amount of money, (is yet to be seen how this year will pan out.) 
  • Then there are all of optic's sponsorship's  
  • This is not to mention the fact that the OPTIC brand is one of the largest in all of e-sports with one of the largest followings, where there are ample of opportunities to grow your own personnel image and earn extra income via YouTube. hell just look at maniacs, YouTube is is that guys main income stream for definite.  

He really does have no reason to leave 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The thing that surprises me most out of this is Cloud getting dropped. Was he underperforming on Leftovers?

I think it's more him leaving for hysteria, mikwen, and Ola than getting dropped

• Upvote (+1) 1

He told Spartan that he wasn't sure or not if he wanted to go to nV so spartan said c ya and picked up Ninja

(He said something of this nature on stream, Spartan didn't want to deal with an indecisive teammate)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not necessarily true. I have always believed if a FPS e-sports game was to truly go mainstream like a sport and be like ESPN, it would have to be Sci-fi/Fantasy based because the mainstream media wouldn't easily accept blood and gore pseudo-realistic games where the goal is literally to stop the "terrorists" from arming a bomb. It would also have to posses global appeal, and we all know how prominent Korea/China/Indonesia/ect.. are in the e-sports scene and how their cultures gravitate towards Fantasy/Sci-fi themes much more than our ultra-realistic violent western themes. Basically, Blizzard would have to make it.  :P

those are some excellent points

valve struck a good balance with csgo because there is virtually no gore, there are no gibs

i think overwatch could find some success in the asian market, the first FPS game that does find success in asia is gonna be the biggest game in the world 

i don't think a game could appeal to both markets but you never know

• Upvote (+1) 1

• as of right now formal regularly gets more than 4k on his twitch stream and has the largest amount of subscribers for cod on twitch currently. (that 4 times ninja) whose main source of income is twitch.
  • I am fairly certain the COD players do earn salaries similarly to ENVY's COD team to allow them to compete and practice more.
  • There are typically more tournaments in COD then in Halo with larger prize pools which when you place in the top 2 every tournament except one which they did last year is a substantial amount of money, (is yet to be seen how this year will pan out.)
  • This is not to mention the fact that the OPTIC brand is one of the largest in all of e-sports with one of the largest followings, where there are ample of opportunities to grow your own personnel image and earn extra income via YouTube. hell just look at maniacs, YouTube is is that guys main income stream for definite.
He really does have no reason to leave </p>
Not sure about nV or when he was on the team but Optic's not salaried. Great points though.

Also, Formal's a fool for not making use of his YouTube channel. 140k subs and only 24 videos. His latest was in April and got 160k views and it was just Money 8's.

• as of right now formal regularly gets more than 4k on his twitch stream and has the largest amount of subscribers for cod on twitch currently. (that 4 times ninja) whose main source of income is twitch.
  • I am fairly certain the COD players do earn salaries similarly to ENVY's COD team to allow them to compete and practice more. 
  • There are typically more tournaments in COD then in Halo with larger prize pools which when you place in the top 2 every tournament except one which they did last year is a substantial amount of money, (is yet to be seen how this year will pan out.) 

Not sure about nV or when he was on the team but Optic's not salaried. Great points though.

Also, Formal's a fool for not making use of his YouTube channel.

Sorry was referring to NV's current cod roster, hastro announced recently that they were indeed salaried and was under the assumption hecz had done something similar, my mistake..

the first FPS game that does find success in asia is gonna be the biggest game in the world 

Eurgh I swear I see this on a daily basis.

Crossfire - an FPS/CS clone game. Makes more revenue than any other game in China a couple of years back, though might have been overtaken by League now.

Sudden Attack - another cs clone. A very popular esport on TV, and still a top game in Korea PC cafes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eurgh I swear I see this on a daily basis.

Crossfire - an FPS/CS clone game. Makes more revenue than any other game in China a couple of years back, though might have been overtaken by League now.

Sudden Attack - another cs clone. A very popular esport on TV, and still a top game in Korea PC cafes.

isn't warsow popular in china as well?

i wish there was a LoL equivalent for FPS, it seems like every asian country has their own favorite FPS game

Was there any bad blood between fis and Vicx after they split?

edit:FiS team already bitching at eachother just a few games in. I hope he grabs a better team. Good GRAVY.

Also, i hope they do another fancy req pack soon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

according to esports earnings he made 100k last year just from tournaments

And how much do you think each Pro will come away with if they win HWC...

and they will still have like April-December for more stuff to happen.

Formal could have come back and won HWC (at least in the discussion). You think he will make more this year then if he would have come back and won HWC? Serious question.

I honestly think he would do very well on Twitch playing H5 under the Optic name, just my opinion

OT: My little cousins and his friends, they don't even LIKE CoD, they only play it because "their friends play it". It's like drugs. Or a pack syndrome. All it takes is to break a few off via marketing and advertisement, and you'll start to see a domino effect. They already talk about how shitty the game is (sounds like us old Halo kids). They like the players and Orgs (Greenwall), not the games. I have 2 cousins and have talked to them and about 5 of their friends, not a huge sampling but they are pretty standard CoD gamers.

Do you honestly think they won't be doing something after HWC? This game is going to have to last a few years. They just got XGames which nobody expected or saw coming. They are dealing with MLG, ESL, Youtube, and so on. I know everyone likes to talk shit on 343, but it really seems like they do have a bit of a plan this time. They need to get marketing whipped into shape though, needs to be advertised everywhere.

Either way, the money right now is huge in Halo. I know some people and Pro's are skeptical, and rightfully so after the past few years. It will take time and I completely understand the "wait and see" approach, just don't wait to long and miss out on BIG money tournaments. Rome wasn't built in a day. I honestly think if things keep going well with prize pools, orgs, media coverage, and stuff, in a year you might be seeing a drastically different landscape. It all comes down to 343 and MS's commitment IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2

i wish there was a LoL equivalent for FPS, it seems like every asian country has their own favorite FPS game

Pretty sure Warsow is dead everywhere.

I agree that the scene can potentially explode, but the biggest gripe I have is incentive. Where is the Incentive to grind Halo if you don't make top 16? Every week the team list gets smaller because people realize there is no reason to play. There should be weekly cash prized tournaments, AM only tournaments (No Top 16 teams), and more all advertised by HCS and 343. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

those are some excellent points

valve struck a good balance with csgo because there is virtually no gore, there are no gibs

i think overwatch could find some success in the asian market, the first FPS game that does find success in asia is gonna be the biggest game in the world 

i don't think a game could appeal to both markets but you never know

Yep, and that is why Overwatch is a game to keep an eye on. An FPS like Overwatch thats not TOO fast/skill-intensive where a console scene couldn't also co-exist along with it has massive appeal to every demographic.

• Upvote (+1) 2

• as of right now formal regularly gets more than 4k on his twitch stream and has the largest amount of subscribers for cod on twitch currently. (that is 4 times the number of ninjas stream viewers usually) whose main source of income is twitch.. 

And yet what I'm basically saying is only 2 of those points would be effected IMO. Twitch, which I question the actual impact it would have as I feel a lot of his viewership would stick around because of Optic. And tournaments, which I'm arguing (with little knowledge of prize pool money in CoD) is pretty darn large right now in Halo. Winners of HWC look like they will come away with 300k+ in winnings each, with the prize pool only going up.

I agree that the scene can potentially explode, but the biggest gripe I have is incentive. Where is the Incentive to grind Halo if you don't make top 16? Every week the team list gets smaller because people realize there is no reason to play. There should be weekly cash prized tournaments, AM only tournaments (No Top 16 teams), and more all advertised by HCS and 343. 

Highlight top play. Get it advertised really well (xgames, tv, espn, twitch, youtube gaming, etc). Basically, what we are seeing with HWC.

Once you establish that, start working on AM tournaments and stuff (plenty of options for this if you think about it). I fully expect things to evolve after HWC.

We will see.

Nah, FPS genre is too vague for their to be one main game.

As for overwatch, the combination of the game being a higher spec than most currently popular games in Asia, and having to pay up front for the game, makes it unlikely it will be popular in China/Korea

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like so much more can be done on an advertisement/social media front. i don't know if that's just me because I'm a Twitter addicted freak or what but it seems like it's just so lack luster. If I wasn't previously informed about things it would be really easy to miss a lot of info.

Case and point? Go to waypoints homepage and tell me if you see anything about the HCS.

Edit: WELL SHIT. They updated it for xgames... But that's one event. Nothing really to do with the hwc or hcs.

And how much do you think each Pro will come away with if they win HWC...

and they will still have like April-December for more stuff to happen.

Formal could have come back and won HWC (at least in the discussion). You think he will make more this year then if he would have come back and won HWC? Serious question.

I honestly think he would do very well on Twitch playing H5 under the Optic name, just my opinion

OT: My little cousins and his friends, they don't even LIKE CoD, they only play it because "their friends play it". It's like drugs. Or a pack syndrome. All it takes is to break a few off via marketing and advertisement, and you'll start to see a domino effect. They already talk about how shitty the game is (sounds like us old Halo kids). They like the players and Orgs (Greenwall), not the games. I have 2 cousins and have talked to them and about 5 of their friends, not a huge sampling but they are pretty standard CoD gamers.

Do you honestly think they won't be doing something after HWC? This game is going to have to last a few years. They just got XGames which nobody expected or saw coming. They are dealing with MLG, ESL, Youtube, and so on. I know everyone likes to talk shit on 343, but it really seems like they do have a bit of a plan this time. They need to get marketing whipped into shape though, needs to be advertised everywhere.

Either way, the money right now is huge in Halo. I know some people and Pro's are skeptical, and rightfully so after the past few years. It will take time and I completely understand the "wait and see" approach, just don't wait to long and miss out on BIG money tournaments. Rome wasn't built in a day. I honestly think if things keep going well with prize pools, orgs, media coverage, and stuff, in a year you might be seeing a drastically different landscape. It all comes down to 343 and MS's commitment IMO.

you know halo 5's population has plummeted since launch right? halo 5 is a niche game, and that's okay

the pros can play and make decent money, i think it's like 50k per player guaranteed at this point for top 4, that is awesome

halo 5 right now isn't even in the top 10 of xbox live, it's getting smashed by 4 other multiplayer FPS games, with rainbox six right on it's heels

please don't get your hopes up because you will get disappointed 

formal and every other cod pro would be stupid to come back to halo, these guys are making 200k a year playing video games, sorry but halo missed the boat this time around

maybe halo 6 will be different

@@Getaway f2p games are king, they are the future

I feel like so much more can be done on an advertisement/social media front. i don't know if that's just me because I'm a Twitter addicted freak or what but it seems like it's just so lack luster. If I wasn't previously informed about things it would be really easy to miss a lot of info.

Yep, a million percent. And you would think this would be pretty easy considering the resources they have. Literally just putting shit up on the xbox dashboard months in advance and producing promotional videos and stuff. And they completely control that platform. MS has so much money, easily put spots on TV. Social media should be a given, it's FREE advertising.