CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Considering "LAN" goes through online/servers, it's the same difference isn't it? Minus the crowd and expenses.

Sadly, if you're not on a severely good internet connection - Yes. Some Xbox's have different feels of connection than others which is extremely weird. It's almost like the router isn't sent to one 343 server but each Xbox One is sent to a specific server. Taking LAN support away  from Halo was such a bad idea because I'm unable to grow our local scene  like I had planned to do..

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why isnt team optic in post 1 of this thread? Also why doesnt this thread have hte top 16 teams at least. It should have some of the EU teams too.

Probably because;

1. Optic didn't place top 16, and before teams starting spliting up like crazy the past week or 2, they still weren't top 16.
  2. Because a LOT of players have left teams and nobody really knows what the teams are going to be for this next online tournament this weekend. That might seem crazy considering we are days away, but it is the truth.
  3. It is hard enough for people to keep track of the NA teams, let alone EU teams that many don't even know about.
  4. Players are earning points every day due to gamebattles, so standing can change every single friggin day.

If you think you can keep the rosters, team names, team changes, MLG points (ladders and online tourneys) updated and posted to this forum, go right ahead. I wish you the best of luck. It is impossible IMO, so don't say I didn't warn you. Multiple people (myself included) are trying to do it, with little success.

I think it would be wrong to ignore all the points and teams that aren't considered "Pro" because of players and org names. Not only a bad thing for the Halo community, but also for the Pro teams themselves. I don't want people thinking Optic is top 8 just because we know they most likely aren't going to change the team members, when really there are 4-5 other less known teams of players ahead of them. It would be stupid to ignore Kingdom eSports, Visual, Kinetic (who seems to have broken up), Circa eSports, Project Affiliction, OverDrive, Lets get this money, Natural Talent, and other teams/players.

Personally I think anyone that expects a constantly updated list should go talk to MLG, Halo, and the Pro Players. MLG doesn't have a list for a reason, because they realize it is pointless. The only "teams" that matter are the ones that enter the final OT5, because those are the "final rosters" for qualifying. Lots of these players aren't announcing what teams they are on, and it will probably change again before OT3.

Some other factors. Many ppl have real jobs. There is no "official" place where players are putting their teams. Team rosters aren't locked. Points are assigned to MLG usernames, which don't have to match a users gamertag (making finding players and their points even more difficult).

• Upvote (+1) 3

Jeez man. Do you always just throw peoples full names around online forums?

I'm sorry, but why does this matter exactly? It's on his friggin' twitter page.

Is it supposed to be some sort of secret?

You know, there are a lot of people with the name Jesse...makes it really hard to know who you are talking about without a name.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be honest, the front page shouldn't have the top teams with points, but the updated pro points list. People should start realizing how important grinding GB's with not just your team, but anyone is extremely important. Example. Cratos has over 100 points more than anyone else on his team due to GB's. What if those 100 points would take the 17th seeded team to top 16 if his team didn't qualify. The 17th seeded team drops a player, picks him up, and knocks out the 16th seeded team. This is just an example, not actually saying I don't think allegiance will make it. This points system is going to have some very very shady roster switches in my opinion. Individual points are more important nowadays. Brings back memories of H2/3. Also, the GB ladder has nothing to do with the qualifiers. You can sign up for the qualifiers with anyone, GB's are just extra incentive to get points.

This is exactly my point. However some people want to know where "current teams" are placed. And that is astronomically difficult with the way the tourney is setup, if not impossible. It simply doesn't matter because, as you stated, a team can drop a player and pick up a different player with more/less points and completely change the "team" ranks.

However, people are trying to "help" those that want to see it. I'm trying. halo.esportspedia.com is trying. But at this point there isn't enough "point spread" to force any type of incentive to roster locks for top teams. And I'm not sure even after OT3 it will be enough to lock in top 16 rosters.

OT#5 is the ONLY team roster that will matter because it is the roster that is submitted to MLG for qualification for regionals. Top 15 rosters make it.

16th place team will be decided by the Last Chance qualifier, as I mentioned earlier.

So how does MLG selling everything to acitivison going to affect the HWC?

I would assume it wouldn't. I just hope they go forward with the assumed pro league after the big show.

So, is anyone concerned that the same company that publishes Call of Duty now manages Halo ESports in North America?

I wouldn't say they manage Halo eSports exactly. 343 and Microsoft still ultimately have control.

MLG are running this tourney, yes. I'm sure agreements and legal documents were signed. How those agreements are effected by this would be of interest to Microsoft and 343. I'm sure they have lawyers for that. It could void any future agreements (wasn't there talks of a league?). Honestly, I'm not even sure I know what the deal is or what Activision actually purchased as I haven't really read the documents posted (equipment, venue, licensing rights, brand, and so forth). Could MLG become a subsidiary? Do they dissolve?

What would concern me is that it felt like we might be getting another partner with MLG, to promote, create content, draw viewership, run tourneys, and so on. But if they are owned by Activision it feels more like a trogan horse. And/or if MLG dissolves Halo/343/MS lost a partner, promotional channel, and tournament organizer. Inevitably what we might end up seeing is the work that was done inking these deals and forming a plan with MLG will be for nothing and 343 will have to figure this all out, further delaying the progression of Halo back into a viable eSport. I hope Microsoft and 343 have plans, because both of them are effected by this.

Back to ESL perhaps? Microsoft or 343 create something themselves? More backing thrown towards Twitch? Who knows...

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, is anyone concerned that the same company that publishes Call of Duty now manages Halo ESports in North America?

It's okay, everything can be traced to one owner anyways:

hqdefault.jpg

Seriously though, I don't think they are. Hopefully someone who is smarter than me can explain, but I don't think Activision is acquiring MLG as a company, just the things they owned. I imagine if this was the case then the deal with Microsoft/343i for the HWC won't continue. Also, happy News Years everyone! 

Edit: Nevermind, read what an Asset Purchase Agreement actually is.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It is a troubling question, I think it's going to ultimately result in ESL taking the reigns again. I just hope they take a more community oriented approach if they do.

I wish MS would take a more hands on approach and do what Activision is doing. Build a dedicated eSports league for MS exclusives, bring on people who know eSports. Gears, Halo, Killer Instinct, Halo Wars 2. Hold MLG esque events at big venues, use them as sudo MS marketing events if you have to.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It is a troubling question, I think it's going to ultimately result in ESL taking the reigns again. I just hope they take a more community oriented approach if they do.

I wish MS would take a more hands on approach and do what Activision is doing. Build a dedicated eSports league for MS exclusives, bring on people who know eSports. Gears, Halo, Killer Instinct, Halo Wars 2. Hold MLG esque events at big venues, use them as sudo MS marketing events if you have to.

This would be amazing. MLG to become Microsoft League Gaming?  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

So is HWC actually in danger here?

Highly unlikely.

HWC, no. The qualifying procedures, maybe. MLG might have an obligation to uphold their agreements with 343 though, so we most likely wont see any changes until after HWC. I wouldnt expect MLG to host the Halo HCS league afterwards though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

if ESL takes over the north american tournaments then that means drug testing will be back

@@LethuL @marijuana users

I imagine they would only test for "performance enhancers", no? What do they care about weed?

• Upvote (+1) 1