CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Why have OS then if no one can use it?

I just like how you could make the other team burn OS in Halo 3. If it gave you the invincibility, like in H3, I think it would work. But if they changed it so you could drop it, I like that aswell.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I guess my question is, why do an invitational when the game they are playing is a build that is already 4 months old, one that will be 6 months old by launch, contained only two maps, slayer only, etc.? 

I was excited to see how Halo 5 will play at a competitive level, and to get a feel for what the final build will be like. But nothing I saw today means anything because neither of the teams got an opportunity to practice beforehand. That meant random ass, chaotic gameplay.

Anyways, regarding the gameplay:

• Everything felt very sporadic, random etc. Each person was running around the map with a different weapon, sprint meant there was no way to know where the enemy was, etc.
  • The maps feel claustrophobic and almost maze-like. Too many sections and corridors, not enough sight lines and too much segregation all around. The weapons on map were uninteresting to watch (shotgun doesn't take any skill to use, plasma caster is seemingly useless.)
  • The most MAJOR flaw was how each player was running around with a different weapon. This creates the same randomness that AA's did in previous games. Theres no way to know what someone s holding when you run into them. There are too many different rifles laying around the map so its impossible to keep track of what everyone has. I HATE the whole idea of two players running into eachother - one has an smg, the other a dmr, meaning the smg guy wins, etc. I hated how there were no gun fights of BR vs BR or DMR vs DMR, etc. Bottom line - a battle should be won/lost based on aiming skill and outshooting rather than happening to have the better rifle for the given distance when you stumble upon someone.
  • On the same note, it was boring as hell watching constant automatics being used instead of precision, skillful weapon

Overall the gameplay was very campy/hidey and it was difficult to follow what was happening. I want to see deliberate pushes and sequential unfolding of strats and more interesting gunfights. All I saw during this tourney were people running around in maze-like maps, sprinting around corridors, camping behind walls and automatic spraying. Nowhere did I see anything like, for example, Halo 2 gameplay where you deliberately see 2 guys on pink tower, a guy in base, and another guy on Carbine, all teamshooting and strafing etc. I don't know - the gameplay I saw wasn't fun to watch, plain and simple. Kinda killed a bit of the hype i had for this game. Hopefully the remaining maps to be revealed are more open and promote teamwork/skillful gunfights.  

Thank you for this post. Everything you said are my exact thoughts about what I watched today. @@Sal1ent @@Deez take down some notes. 

i know, but come on...do we have "legends" for Halo 4....really?? Besides, Ace is known for more than just H4.

Elamite is known as the US champion for winning a badly run tournament that used default settings in Halo 3, and I'm pretty sure it was online. The only thing(big thing) it had going for it was 50k for 1st place.

Just a thing he's called, nothing to get bent out of shape about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hahaha, I think we'll get used to the new OS over time and just learn to play around the delay.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

how

Besides actively wasting the star power of the brand and not capitalizing on the platform they have been given --  they have had routinely below average tournament placings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Besides actively wasting the star power of the brand and not capitalizing on the platform they have been given --  they have had routinely below average tournament placings.

I don't think you know what the term below average means. They consistently perform way above average.

I don't think you know what the term below average means. They consistently perform way above average.

please explain how when competing in tournaments with only 4-8 teams and finishing in the bottom 2/3'rds consistently is "above average?"

If they were always 1-3 then yes, sure I would concede - but they are not up to par with the rest of the top teams.

• Upvote (+1) 2

change for the sake of change.

So tired of seeing this childish and tired line.

If most of you aren't here to try and better the game and just want to post this or any other shitposting, why even bother?

Most of us, WHO ARE ACTUALLY GOING TO PLAY THE GAME, are tired of seeing this shit. 

It just legitimatizes our efforts/community. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Hahaha, I think we'll get used to the new OS over time and just learn to play around the delay.

this is really a poor way of looking at things

• Upvote (+1) 2

I said this in the chat while watching last night, but I'm kind of annoyed at how shields don't recharge when you sprint. Not because I think they should, but because it seems like an unnecessary mechanic to attempt balancing sprint in the first place.

I saw lots of instances last night where players had no shields for what seemed like an eternity simply because they can sprint. I just don't see the point. Having no sprint and a regular shield recharge time achieved the same thing in a much less complicated way.

I know sprint is here to stay, but if people think "not sprinting to manage your shield recharge" adds anything to the gameplay I'd seriously disagree.

• Upvote (+1) 5

this is really a poor way of looking at things

Basically. It's kind of crazy that the adapt or "let's just settle because it could be worse mentality" is still pretty much at large.

We need this game to be the best it can be in every aspect. These small minute details add up.

I said this in the chat while watching last night, but I'm kind of annoyed at how shields don't recharge when you sprint. Not because I think they should, but because it seems like an unnecessary mechanic to attempt balancing sprint in the first place.

I saw lots of instances last night where players had no shields for what seemed like an eternity simply because they can sprint. I just don't see the point. Having no sprint and a regular shield recharge time achieved the same thing in a much less complicated way.

I know sprint is here to stay, but if people think "not sprinting to manage your shield recharge" adds anything to the gameplay I'd seriously disagree.

It doesn't. The only thing it adds to the gameplay is that the user needs to make sure they find a corner to run behind. Just makes it more of a defensive mechanic (which was the problem in the first place) if you ask me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't. The only thing it adds to the gameplay is that the user needs to make sure they find a corner to run behind. Just makes it more of a defensive mechanic (which was the problem in the first place) if you ask me.

Definitely, and I think a lot of that is changed if you can shoot while sprinting. It gives it at least more of an attacking feel and having no shields is more decently balanced against sprint than it is now.

It almost makes sprint too offensive. Now with things like grenade hit markers you can just hurt a guy and bum rush him. He has only 2 choices: Stay and die indefinitely, or sprint and hope someone doesn't see him as he runs since he will be one shot for awhile.

What sprint does to objective games is just terrible. Look at cod aw hardpoint. That's what KOTH will be like now. Constant rushing with no real control.

So tired of seeing this childish and tired line.

If most of you aren't here to try and better the game and just want to post this or any other shitposting, why even bother?

Most of us, WHO ARE ACTUALLY GOING TO PLAY THE GAME, are tired of seeing this shit. 

It just legitimatizes our efforts/community.

most of us just want halo to be a good game.

"most of us who are actually going to play the game" so you'll play the game whether this mechanic is y or x? I'm tired of seeing people post this same similar line.

I'm sorry you're personally tired of us bringing up concerns about a game you have pre-ordered. The reason why it keeps coming up is because 343 decides to do this over and over, so it comes up over and over. It honestly feels like 343 ignores legitimate issues and changes other parts of the game that are stable just to say they're innovating the game. This type of stuff goes on all over the business world, even the place where I work. Wouldn't surprise me if thats the case here, especially since there are so so many pointless changes; they're put in the game solely because its different. 

I'm not going to type out a 5000 word essay just to say what was said on page 8 about a similar change. Nor am I going to make a copy and paste response for every silly change 343 makes because if you think short and to the point comments are annoying, you probably think robotic reponses are worse

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

please explain how when competing in tournaments with only 4-8 teams and finishing in the bottom 2/3'rds consistently is "above average?"

If they were always 1-3 then yes, sure I would concede - but they are not up to par with the rest of the top teams.

most of the tournaments have qualifiers where they beat out all the other teams.

I'm really disappointed in that response, and I said as much on Twitter to @@Sal1ent . In every other Halo, save for H3 custom power-up, if I simply got there, I earned it. No one ever complained that paying attention to the game clock and spawn time, coordinating and positioning as a team, winning the requisite gun fights, etc and walking into a power-up was somehow lacking a sense of having "earned" a power-up. This was not something that needed changing, at all.

It's so obvious that this was a case of #immersion, that they wanted to include the cheeky animation of slamming the power-up into your chest, and that it wouldn't have made sense from an immersion perspective to have the power-up apply until it has finished said slamming. Unfortunately critical thinking about how this affects gameplay didn't prevail here. You'd think it would have a pretty minor effect, but as I've mentioned in other posts tonight, this is an issue that compounds when maps have other glaring flaws. On Empire, we saw that OS was the only alluring item with a readily predictable spawn time to fight for. Once every minute, nearly every single player on the map converged on the OS, and more often than not it was burned. How dull.

This issue wouldn't be so terrible if there were another power-up or -weapon spawning close in time to compete for attention. If there were only 2 or 3 or 4 players fighting for the OS, while others fought for positioning for another item (maybe the SAW instead of the Plasma Caster on Empire?), maybe we wouldn't see so many burns.

Nevertheless, I think rather than having to perfect other aspects of the game to ameliorate this issue, why not just get rid of the issue in the first place? Make it so there are no burns. If you want a sensation of "earning," I'm willing to concede holding a button to "earn" it, which, too, was unnecessary, but please have the OS apply instantly. Or make a Spartan invincible during the animation, save for a back smack. At the very least and as others have suggested, if the OS is burned, have it drop to the ground again so at least someone can use it.

Lastly, on the topic of OS: it needs to be 2, possibly 3x stronger. When every weapon in the sandbox is as potent as we saw today, and when you're going to make OS the one thing worth fighting for, let alone "earning" at best half the time, at least make it fucking worth it once you've picked it up. For how difficult it is to "earn" it, you should be a force once you've got it. People were getting the OS today and getting SMG'd like it was nothing.

This game could really be something, but there are some very obvious improvements that need to be made to get it there. @@Sal1ent @@Deez @@Bravo

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Definitely, and I think a lot of that is changed if you can shoot while sprinting. It gives it at least more of an attacking feel and having no shields is more decently balanced against sprint than it is now.

I agree completely man... I think I had a very well thought out argument with @@Sal1ent in favor of that mechanic when he came in the H5: Guardians thread and responded to several people. It sounded like he was intrigued at the idea of it, but in the end decided to be against it for the reasons I argued.

I could've went into a lot more detail but I tried to keep it short and sweet in the hopes that he would respond, but, of course didn't.

most of the tournaments have qualifiers where they beat out all the other teams.

Come on man..... Alright, feel free to think they are above average, I digress.

Come on man..... Alright, feel free to think they are above average, I digress.

They are a pro team. They are far from below average and definitely not average. Are they great? Can they compete with the best? No.

They haven't placed outside the top 8 in both seasons. That means they haven't lost to a non pro team. When they had Cntra and Aries they were placing top 3 and putting up good series against CLG and EG.

Once they start putting in a heavy amount of hours into Halo 5 they will shine once again.

They are a pro team. They are far from below average and definitely not average. Are they great? Can they compete with the best? No.

They haven't placed outside the top 8 in both seasons. That means they haven't lost to a non pro team. When they had Cntra and Aries they were placing top 3 and putting up good series against CLG and EG.

Once they start putting in a heavy amount of hours into Halo 5 they will shine once again.

Find a good series optic put up against us, every time we played an optic roster it was a slaughter 

• Upvote (+1) 4

The os is too weak and is always out in the open. Also has a filthy animation.

Shotgun has too much range

Smg has no fucking spread(may be a glitch)

Pistol dmr and br not powerful enough

Items not varied enough or frequent enough to warrant any interesting movement

Empire is just bad map(fathom looks like it has potential seeing how it actually has open sections)