CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Essentially this, nobody should have to keep on pointing out basic map lighting errors like this repeatedly to people who's job it is to identify basic issues like these.

I have posted about it repeatedly in the Halo 5 guardians thread, I am not very active on twitter.

We aren't even map designers. How the hell did professional map designers eff something up like that? Yet we could see the issue that quickly.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Game 2 (Still processing), I dont think theres any point uploading the rest saying as they are on the sudds YT? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

To me it looked like Players where a bit sporadic in setups (probably having to due with it being a new game/sprint). OS looked more powerful during the media briefing when Optic and Epsilon battled? I heard Bravo say that this was a "Older Build" so maybe that's the case for OS. The pace of the matches never really slowed down until the last 30sec or so. AA's look like they will become a nerds favorite weapon to get a better advantage towards their opposition. I probably will be the only one to like how powerful the shotgun is and let me explain. When a player would fly in instead of pushing with a teammate, the shotty would punish them for not using team work and team shot. On the other hand, when teams would make calculated pushes, the team shot seems to melt that player down within seconds. But if/when its gets nurfed I think it will still have its place. It seemed like the sniper was almost obsolete in these closed sight line maps. I noticed the ADS Animation was taken out of the Sniper and DMR which is good in my opinion. Settings need massaged on weapon placement. I enjoyed watching for sure and see the potential of players making jaw dropping moves.

The problem is that we saw this issue within 5 minutes. How has no one on the pro team noticed this if they play for 3 hours a day?

Go and watch season one of The Sprint, specifically the episodes which cover the art teams involvement with the map creating process. Quinn and co. create maps which are literally just default textures and once everyone is happy with the way it is playing, it gets handed off to the art team. Quinn specifically says that it is entirely possible they might lose some stuff they've added in, this actually happened temporarily with the jump up to Pink 3 and was fixed in time for the beta.

The pro team can mention it all they want but it the end, it's the art teams job to make the maps look good. 

Should @@Deez argue back more, make sure this type of stuff doesn't make it through? Sure and he has, that's evident with the Pink 3 fix. 

Honestly if you ask me, this will be a non-issue post-launch. Literally all of us know about that stupid blue spark that flashes there and if we're constantly seeing it in the corner of our eyes and shitting ourselves, that's on us for forgetting about it.

EDIT: To add on, there was a point when one of the artists (I think Vic) asked if it would be ok to have a giant shadow cast over Truth as a ship driving over would be blocking the natural light, Quinn shot that down almost instantly. The art team aren't professional players, their job is to make the map look pretty.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Essentially this, nobody should have to keep on pointing out basic map lighting errors like this repeatedly to people who's job it is to identify basic issues like these.

343 hiring pros seems like nothing more than a publicity stunt. What have they done so far?

Wasn't there pros working on Halo 4? The game that included the boltshot as a starting weapon which was stronger than the Mauler that was patched out of Halo 3 as a pickup weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Managed to watch the majority of the games from today's Gamescom Invitational. Some things I noticed:

• Every player (with the exception of one of the EU guys who was on point) was whiffing shots both with precision weapons and the automatic ones. Seemed like they weren't used to the lack of bullet magnetism.
  • Players seemed to avoid the Plasma Caster, nobody was rushing for it like they would the Sniper. Does that make it a bad weapon? Not necessarily... I remember people avoiding the Hydra when it was introduced in the Beta, until people discovered how to play with it.
  • The constant battles for the 1 minute overshield respawn on Empire was repetitive; I wouldn't mind seeing that timer upped to 90 or even 120 seconds. Especially since it doesn't diminish over time once you pick it up.
  • Fathom seems like a great map; I was worried about it after watching on Conan that it would be too similar to Empire (they're stylistically similar) but it seems very different. Reminded me of Narrows a bit.
  • This build of the game had radar, so they put stickers over the screen to eliminate it.  :kappa:
  • Almost got really pissed at 343 when they lagged out during game 1, but luckily it was network issues for the whole venue. Phew.

Go and watch season one of The Sprint, specifically the episodes which cover the art teams involvement with the map creating process. Quinn and co. create maps which are literally just default textures and once everyone is happy with the way it is playing, it gets handed off to the art team. Quinn specifically says that it is entirely possible they might lose some stuff they've added in, this actually happened temporarily with the jump up to Pink 3 and was fixed in time for the beta.

The pro team can mention it all they want but it the end, it's the art teams job to make the maps look good.

Should @@Deez argue back more, make sure this type of stuff doesn't make it through? Sure and he has, that's evident with the Pink 3 fix.

Honestly if you ask me, this will be a non-issue post-launch. Literally all of us know about that stupid blue spark that flashes there and if we're constantly seeing it in the corner of our eyes and shitting ourselves, that's on us for forgetting about it.

Maybe the pro team did notice but the art team had other bigger issues that they prioritized. Maybe this issue is already fixed in the new build. I don't know I just don't want issues like that in the final game. At some point there has to be someone responsible for doing that and they are to blame.

Maybe the pro team did notice but the art team had other bigger issues that they prioritized. Maybe this issue is already fixed in the new build. I don't know I just don't want issues like that in the final game. At some point there has to be someone responsible for doing that and they are to blame.

No doubt, there is always someone to blame but we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that it was the pro team. Sure, they are there to test the game and make sure it works great on both a competitive and casual level but they can only say so much. In those meetings, it was only Quinn from the MP team as far as I know and the art guys. 

Quinn has to prioritize whatever and pass it on to the pro team and see if they can fit it in based on time constraints. The art team will then take it back to the dude in charge (Sparth?) and he'll give the nods of approval or disapproval if they have time to make changes.

@@GH057ayame and @@Neighbor used to be just like us - wanting this game to be the best it can be but had no influence outside of posting on the internet hoping it can be read. They've got the opportunity of a lifetime right now to make this game great and they're without a doubt doing the best they can in their position. If you guys hate something like this, it probably pisses then off 10x more if something like that which is going to be an issue isn't being prioritized.

Managed to watch the majority of the games from today's Gamescom Invitational. Some things I noticed:

• Every player (with the exception of one of the EU guys who was on point) was whiffing shots both with precision weapons and the automatic ones. Seemed like they weren't used to the lack of bullet magnetism.
  • Players seemed to avoid the Plasma Caster, nobody was rushing for it like they would the Sniper. Does that make it a bad weapon? Not necessarily... I remember people avoiding the Hydra when it was introduced in the Beta, until people discovered how to play with it.
  • The constant battles for the 1 minute overshield respawn on Empire was repetitive; I wouldn't mind seeing that timer upped to 90 or even 120 seconds. Especially since it doesn't diminish over time once you pick it up.
  • Fathom seems like a great map; I was worried about it after watching on Conan that it would be too similar to Empire (they're stylistically similar) but it seems very different. Reminded me of Narrows a bit.
  • This build of the game had radar, so they put stickers over the screen to eliminate it.  :kappa:
  • Almost got really pissed at 343 when they lagged out during game 1, but luckily it was network issues for the whole venue. Phew.

Definitely agree with this. There was a little too much focus on constantly getting the OS, and at one point a team had two people with OS which really shouldn't happen. Honestly that is probably my only gripe with what I watched today.

I don't understand how so many here are confused by game design/programming. 

For all we know those lights have already been altered in the current internal testing build. We don't know how old this build is. Why weren't they removed early on? Because like any software development team they use a point system for bug testing/fixing. This probably wasn't high priority.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

For all we know those lights have already been altered in the current internal testing build. We don't know how old this build is. Why weren't they removed early on? Because like any software development team they use a point system for bug testing/fixing. This probably wasn't high priority.

Build is from May

No doubt, there is always someone to blame but we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that it was the pro team. Sure, they are there to test the game and make sure it works great on both a competitive and casual level but they can only say so much. In those meetings, it was only Quinn from the MP team as far as I know and the art guys.

Quinn has to prioritize whatever and pass it on to the pro team and see if they can fit it in based on time constraints. The art team will then take it back to the dude in charge (Sparth?) and he'll give the nods of approval or disapproval if they have time to make changes.

@@GH057ayame and @@Neighbor used to be just like us - wanting this game to be the best it can be but had no influence outside of posting on the internet hoping it can be read. They've got the opportunity of a lifetime right now to make this game great and they're without a doubt doing the best they can in their position. If you guys hate something like this, it probably pisses then off 10x more if something like that which is going to be an issue isn't being prioritized.

That's true. We just all want the game to be great so when something is off it gets very blame heavy.

I also said that I think H5 is gonna be a better game for Objective gametypes after the beta.

Slayer developed a really stale/slow meta at a competitive level quickly when I was playing the beta. 

I'd rather bo5 all objective if possible.

I agree with pretty much all you said, but this is really an important part. I wish Strongholds replaced TS and we just had objective for competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think being hopeful that it might have been patched out in a newer build is a good reason to keep quiet about a problem. Maybe it has been fixed, but until we know, we should at least be vocal about it to some extent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Players seemed to avoid the Plasma Caster, nobody was rushing for it like they would the Sniper. Does that make it a bad weapon? Not necessarily... I remember people avoiding the Hydra when it was introduced in the Beta, until people discovered how to play with it.

The plasma caster is Halo 5's brute shot. Bad weapon? No. But not a priority either. Look how many times the weapon was dropped on the ground and people just walked right over it. The hydra didn't get attention in the beta because it's too slow and situational. You have to wait a couple of seconds for it to lock, and then you have to wait for the missiles to travel to their target. That is eternity in Halo 5, with spartan abilites and all the ins and outs on each map.

The OS placement on Empire sucks, which led to all the stale, aimless combat in the tournament. But on top of that, there isn't anything else to push for on that map. The caster isn't a game changer, and the shotgun has a Halo 2 spawn pattern where it can't really be predicted. So everyone converges on the overshield.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Watching the H5 matches live today has made up my mind, it's not for me.

not many people talk about "clamber" but for me it changes the game too much, and "thruster" and whatever else is used to kill strafing is not fun for me at least.

my fun and learning curve has been learning jumps, satisfying BR battles & always knowing i can learn something by playing better players. ( i once played "elamite warrior" once, was amazed at his skill ).

i have no axe to grind, Halo will always be my favourite FPS.

Hope i hear some good reports that change my mind, but after playing the beta and watching today's gameplay i feel i'm losing an old friend.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think being hopeful that it might have been patched out in a newer build is a good reason to keep quiet about a problem. Maybe it has been fixed, but until we know, we should at least be vocal about it to some extent.

No one said anything about keeping quiet. I was referring to the "LOL HOW HAVE THEY NOT NOTICED THIS YET" comments. 

They probably have. But they bug fix based on importance. Bug fixes requiring the art team also naturally take longer.

Build is from May

Even if its fixed in the current build, that doesn't excuse a reoccurring pattern of horrible lighting in MP maps dating back to H4 and continuing on into the H5 beta until currently. H2A was the best lit Halo game from 343 so far MP map wise(and thats not saying much) and to my knowledge they didn't develop most of the maps in the game and that was CA or somebody else. At some point, someone has to speak up and things have to change. I am not saying its all the 343 pro teams fault, but I am a little dissapointed they haven't impacted the game in the way I thought they possibly could with their wealth of knowledge about Halo and comp gaming. Then again, being good at a game doesn't automatically make you the best at understanding what makes a good comp game as many pros have proven, nor do I think they have that significant impact on the development of the game.

EDIT

I also said that I think H5 is gonna be a better game for Objective gametypes after the beta.

Slayer developed a really stale/slow meta at a competitive level quickly when I was playing the beta. 

I'd rather bo5 all objective if possible.

wont be surprised if they take out slayer and replace it with Breakout.

Like CoD where there is no slayer gametypes.

OS should be 90 sec timer and spawn where the plasma caster spawns. No one really pushed to the outside area due to nothing of importance spawning there. That area of the map is much less campy.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Build is from May

Because the "this is just an old build guise, dont worry" worked so well for MCC. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Beta was a great idea. They took our ideas and implemented half of them. This would have been a great idea to do two months ago. I'd rather have them extend the release date and fix the weapon balance and really pick where they want to go instead of this random and ambiguous gameplay we have now.

Jesse my hopes were so high, now I'm feeling the 343. Can't wait for the "I told you so's" from a select few tb'ers

even a May build is not going to change a lot. Probably just tweaks from May up till the game goes Gold.

Halo 5 introduces a lot of randomness that is very hard for players to predict. The maps have way to many routes and ledges. No team could find a power position to hold down on the map. There are too many weapons in play. It was rare to see a one on one battle of two players with the same gun. Encounters were mostly one sided especially if one player had an automatic weapon. I just wanted to see one BR battle happen and it never did. Just about everything from the weapon balancing, weapon placements, Power up timing, and map design need to be change. We all watched a handful of games and quickly saw the issues. 343 should have this stuff in check by now.

• Upvote (+1) 3