CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Flamesword is an interesting player. He never really shines on an individual level but he's been consistently near the top when it comes to 4v4s. You can't say his teammates carried him there when he's won in both H3 and Reach. I think he's just a smart player and not much else.

If you watch him, his communication is what stands out the most. He micro-manages the shit out of his team telling each person where to go and what to do. Kinda like Tsquared did for Str8 back in the day. That's an invaluable thing but honestly that's exactly what Towey does for EG nowadays. Flamesword's playstyle is like that of an in-game coach. He's not awful, but he never stands out. He is a good leader and the teams he is on generally are known for good teamwork/consistency and it's obviously in part due to him. But to me, unless he steps up his individual game I feel he would have A LOT more to offer as a coach.

FS never won anything in H3.

ghostayme, cpt anchory and sargoth got goosed on strongholds lol

Nice....but it also shows how dumb it was to put two stronghold points in the same area. Why would you go inside if you stay outside and collect points from those two areas that are literally step[s away from each other?

I view Flamesword as a poormans Ogre 2. They both excel with teammates more talented than they are on the sticks. It's their ability to lead and their discipline in game that makes them so unique compared to other pros.

Flamesword's and Ogre 2's styles are nothing alike. Flamesword is also a better communicator in-game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

FS never won anything in H3.

You're right, I was thinking of that nationals event where they got 2nd with T2 coaching them. The point stills stands though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Flamesword's and Ogre 2's styles are nothing alike. Flamesword is also a better communicator in-game.

True, maybe what I should have said is that they are both vital players to a team for reasons outside of their gunskill and when they have talent around them is when they are at their best.

True, maybe what I should have said is that they are both vital players to a team for reasons outside of their gunskill and when they have talent around them is when they are at their best.

Perhaps, but  Ogre 2's knowledge of player placement un-paralleled, he knows where to be, all the time.(Something FS  needs to work on)

That's slightly more accurate -- but if you're going to call Flamesword a "poor man's" something...stylistically he'd be more comparable to Roy or APG.  He's an in-your-face aggressive player that tries to deal as much damage as possible.

However, unlike Roy or APG he's historically much more talkative over the course of a game

Roy is one of the most talkative players in the game... His communication and small talk is on another level and hes one of the players that I am most comfortable playing with.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Roy is one of the most talkative players in the game... His communication and small talk is on another level and hes one of the players that I am most comfortable playing with.

Not denying that -- Flamesword when he was winning events was better than Roy, worse than Box.  Not sure how Flamesword is now (haven't caught his stream or heard Listen-Ins with OpTic at events).

• Downvote (-1) 2

In my opinion Roy is the best communicator in the game for that exact reason. He's literally always saying what he's doing and who he can help and who he can't help. Shit, even I feel comfortable just listening and watching him play, I can only imagine how I'd feel actually teaming with him. Flamesword definitely gives off a similar vibe of communication style but he doesn't even come close to having the same individual skill that Roy does to back him up.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's slightly more accurate -- but if you're going to call Flamesword a "poor man's" something...stylistically he'd be more comparable to Roy or APG.  He's an in-your-face aggressive player that tries to deal as much damage as possible.

However, unlike Roy or APG he's historically much more talkative over the course of a game (I say historically because I'm not sure if this is actually accurate anymore) which is why he and Assault have always paired well together (I've said before, Assault is the only player I've ever watched PoV of where you can SEE him listening.  He'll turn to the strangest angles to finish off someone that, without comms playing, you'd have no idea the person was there.

But stylistically, Flamesword is just a hold-forward-and-deal-damage-with-his-BR kind of guy.  Hell, his H3 Narrows opening featured him soaring over Mauler guns-ablazin' every single game.

Player placement (what I call Spacing) is the specialty of Towey, and one of the things that makes Maniac strong at Sanc-variant Team Slayer.

Ogre 2's strength lies in Zoning -- knowing which routes or sightlines are important for an ENEMY to use and cutting them off from using them.  He sits in odd places to cut off routes while he lies in wait, ensuring they'll never push across without shots... and ensuring that even if he isn't there at that moment, players used to playing against him will check that corner, possibly slowing down their push or causing them to look away from someone who actually IS there as they push, giving the potential of first shot to his teammates, just by virtue of him USUALLY being somewhere.

Shrodinger's Ogre: Until you check the corner, Ogre 2 is in a superposition of both being in that spot and not being in that spot simultaneously.

Truth, but I do believe his "zoning" ability comes a lot from experience and " knows where to be" at all times.

What is Ninja talking about? How can rosters be locked if there are no tourneys yet? 

I'd assume season 2 rosters are still locked in, and haven't been opened up for teams to go ahead and pre-register for the upcoming season.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Optic is gaming right now with Aries as 4th. 

Maniac is pretty clueless with H5. Sprints with shields down, had AR+SMG combo, and wasn't involved in many battles.

All this on a gametype (Empire TS) he played at Gamescom... he just looks like he's going through the motions, and is burned out on Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Optic is gaming right now with Aries as 4th. 

Maniac is pretty clueless with H5. Sprints with shields down, had AR+SMG combo, and wasn't involved in many battles.

All this on a gametype (Empire TS) he played at Gamescom... he just looks like he's going through the motions, and is burned out on Halo.

He didn't know a single callout that his team was using either.

nV  most likely.

Seems like UnLegit or Frosty are going to Liquid. 

UnLegit, someone from a skype call between the optic guys, ace and sceptikal said he was joining liquid.

https://twitter.com/iGotUrPistola/status/663203875588018176 nV most likely.

Seems like UnLegit or Frosty are going to Liquid.

I would love for Frosty to go to Liquid. I think it would be a better fit for him than C9, but he has been playing with the C9 boys quite a bit and I think someone said Hysteria confirmed he was their 4th. Unlegit isn't a bad second choice for TL though. They seemed to mesh well with him when they play together.

Going to watch them now, I've always loved your breakdowns on gameplay.  Have learned a lot from them, keep it up mayne!

Its so obvious that Maniac is burnt on halo, watching him play halo vs watching him play COD , I wonder if Optic placed outside top 8 would he consider a team change, (probably not with him living in the scuff mansion)but still an interesting thought

• Upvote (+1) 1

What's the latest Intel? I haven't been able to keep up lately

Boss Nasti and Naded went to get some hot fudge sundaes.

• Upvote (+1) 5